colic? gas? frustrated...

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CarolynBB

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Veteran
My poor, sweet Rylynn has a witching hour. Not always at the same time. I realize as the older she gets, the more time she will spend awake. But some days it seems like all that awake time is nothing but hysterical screaming and crying. The only thing that will console her is more formula, which if I give her too much, comes right back up. Sometimes a car ride works, but not every time. And the last time I tried a car ride I watched a poor squirrel meet his demise and had to retun home because I was so upset. Sheesh.

Last night she slept the whole time almost that I was at my parent's cookout, from 4 pm until I left around 7:30-8. She continued to sleep at home until 11:30, which of course was right about when I was falling asleep. I fed her and she thankfully went right back to sleep. We were up again at 5:30 this morning (and 3:30 too) and she ate, stayed awake for a short period of time, and then slept until around 8:45. She has been up ALL day with the exception of 3 one hour naps, during which I don't think she really slept too well. I've tried her swing, the vibrating bouncy seat, her bassinet in our dark, cool, quiet bedroom. Nothing. I ran to Target earlier and when I got back, apparently she had been crying since I left and poor Ryan couldn't console her either.

A 30 minute car ride didn't help. The swing didn't help. Holding, bouncing, singing didn't help. Actually, the only thing that is working currently is me holding her while we listen to some Journey and Motley Crue and Poison. I don't know if her tummy is upset. She hasn't really been farting a lot lately, so I'm not sure it's gas. I'm praying to the good lord she's not colicky. I honestly don't know.

Another thing that is strange lately is she has up until recently slept through everything and anything. She still sleeps through the dogs barking at god knows what, and Ryan hollering at them to shut it. But she will immediatly wake up screaming the minute I sit down on the toilet, or open the front door, or sit down to eat.

She's been on Enfamil AR which has made her constipated, so we were prescribed something called Lactulose, which just gives her the runs.

I'm frustrated and sad because there is literally nothing I can do to soothe her sometimes. I'm lost.
July 5th, 2012, 08:54 PM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How old is Rylynn? She may be going through a growth spurt (3 weeks, 6 weeks, 10 weeks, 12 weeks) where she just gets overstimulated and cranky and there's not much you can do except wait it out Fortunately our periods like that have only been up to 3 or 4 days, and then Kira is cheerful again until the next growth spurt. It helps to know it's a phase and will eventually end.

BTW, I laughed at the 80s hair metal...I dance to that with Kira, too.
kld1981 likes this.
July 6th, 2012, 12:05 AM
ArmyWife06's Avatar Proud Army Wife
I have the same problem with my daughter. The only thing I can do is let her eat up to 15-20 hours a day or wear her around the house.

July 6th, 2012, 05:10 AM
Veteran
She is 8 weeks today. So far this morning has been pretty good, but we've only been up for an hour. She ate, got changed, and is now sleeping in her swing.

Something that may have affected her (or maybe she's too young to notice)...we moved out of the family home for awhile due to some...relationship issues. Constant arguments, and we both agreed it was best for our daughter to seperate for a bit. However, Rylynn and I are returning this weekend. So maybe living in a different house has thrown her off a bit? It sure messed with my sleep schedule. Hoping things (everything) goes back to normal by Monday.
July 6th, 2012, 06:09 AM
jacks_mommy's Avatar Veteran
Do you swaddle her? Maybe the close tight feeling like in the womb would help her. How about a bath? Does that help? Sofia does the same thing from about 6-9pm every single it and last night was her worst....I freaked out because my husband leaves today for 23 days and I don't know how I am going to do this myself.....anxiety has the best of me. I know with Sofia if I can just make it to h bedtime between 9-10 then we are good for the next day until the crabby times start again..
My daughter is also on formula due to lactose issues and pedi had us put her on soy and it helped her a lot. It took about a week for the soy to show a difference in her overall mood, but it really did help her fussy moods.
Good luck!

*Thank you AlexKatieAidenMommy for my awesome siggie*
July 6th, 2012, 07:11 AM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
Honestly, it sounds like my DD, Allison, when she was a baby! As long as she was held, she was happy as a clam. The minute I put her down so I could pee, eat, or take care of me, she would start screaming like I was killing her! I finally started wearing her, from the moment she got up until I went to bed, so I could get a chance to take care of me. The doctor said she was just a higher needs baby- I tend to agree because now, at 2.5, she's pretty amazing. She likes to go places, play with other kids, has an amazing vocabulary, and is so independant! It's hard trying to make them happy/figure out what's wrong but this to shall pass!

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search