Where do you ask for medication advice related to BF?

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By *Jillian*
  • 1 Post By bookworm16_2000

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 6th, 2012, 10:41 AM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This has been bugging me for a couple of weeks so I thought I'd toss it out to you guys.

Two weeks ago, I had a root canal done on an infected tooth and the dentist prescribed the antibiotic Amoxicillin. He was pretty sure it was safe for breastfeeding but he suggested I check with the pharmacist. OK, makes sense to me.

I asked the pharmacist when I went to pick up the antibiotic. It honestly shocked me when she looked surprised and said she had no idea whether it was safe. "Well, you shouldn't take any medicine when you're breastfeeding," she said. I told her I had this raging tooth infection and needed antibiotics. "Well, maybe you should stop breastfeeding for the week you're taking the medication," she said. Uh, no.

So, I got out of there and called Kira's pediatrician. It was just after office hours so my call went to the triage center for the advice nurse. I asked her whether Amoxicillin was safe for breastfeeding. She said, "if this is a medication you're taking, you have to ask your doctor, not the pediatrician." I explained that I wasn't concerned about it for ME but I wanted to make sure it would be safe for Kira. She insisted that she couldn't help me and I had to call my doctor.

OK, so I called my doctor. My doctor said that I would have to ask the pediatrician since my question was about how the medication would affect Kira.

At this point, I gave up and just Googled it. The internet seemed to think it was fine, so I took the medication.

What the heck? Where was I supposed to get info on whether the med would be a problem for BF? I don't like Googling that stuff because of all the misinformation out there, but I couldn't get a good answer from the pharmacist, Kira's pediatrician, OR my doctor.

Where do you guys ask those types of questions?
July 6th, 2012, 10:44 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
This site is where all sorts of reliable information is. It's my "go-to" for all things BF related.

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf...approved-meds/
imdawn likes this.

July 6th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I go to the Kellymom website as well. Although, my doctor and our pediatrician have always been accurate with their advice as well.

July 6th, 2012, 11:16 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a great book I got off amazon called Medications and the Mother's Milk. It tells you everything about medication and whether it is safe. My pediatrician will also tell me if it is safe, can't believe yours wouldn't. Then you should also ask us..lol. I took amoxiciallan when I was breastfeeding Jackson. My dr then said it was safe.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
July 6th, 2012, 11:45 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I HATE this problem!! It is ridiculous how hard it is to get any straight, reliable answers about breastfeeding and medication. I understand that no one wants to put themselves at risk by giving out info they don't really know, but seriously, SOMEONE needs to know this info. But I have the same problem as you.... the run-around. (I take anti-depressants, and I wanted someone to tell me it was safe or not during BFing.) I ended up doing my own research not just online but I searched through medical journals for actual data. But antibiotics? You should NOT have to do your own research on that, the doctors ought to know! (And shame on the pharmacist for telling you to not breastfeed for a week... clearly they are clueless about how absolutely BAD that would be.)

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
July 6th, 2012, 12:51 PM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm definitely a Kelly Mom fan too. I have it bookmarked and have their app on my phone!

July 6th, 2012, 02:29 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
I use the kellymom site too but that's one of my favorite things about having a family doctor, they can't give me the run around to ask the ped or my doctor. They're the same person!

That's rediculous that you were given that run around- any of them should have answered with an intelligent answer, not just stop breastfeeding or ask someone else!
Lisa H likes this.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
July 6th, 2012, 02:42 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Actually medical professionals know very little about breastfeeding. It never surprises me the garbage advice that is handed out to us all the time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search