Breastfeeding Weaning

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By melissalaw
  • 1 Post By melissalaw
  • 1 Post By lindsey2000k
  • 1 Post By MamaT3blessings

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2012, 12:37 PM
JsBaby's Avatar Super Mommy
Looking to our Mama's for some tips on breastfeeding weaning. It's with a heavy heart and guilt that I start to wean Hunter from breastfeeding. The guilt comes as I have not nursed my other kids exclusively like Hunter has been and also because I feel I am doing it for selfish reasons. Our lives are going to be very full over the next couple months and this is part of why I am starting now.

With the girls, when I started back to work and they went to daycare, they were put on formula, as I didn't have luck pumping. So it was easier to wean them as we just had evening and morning feedings. I've been reading about how to wean, but I'm not getting the clear answers I'm looking for. I even called my lactation consultant and she was sketchy. (which is understandable)

I'm hoping you can give me your experiences as to how you may have weaned a previous child or this one. I've started by cutting pumping back to once a day at work and we have started formula at daycare. The daycare provider is doing 1/2 breast milk, 1/2 formula bottles and after talking to the lactation consultant, that's not a good idea. Please help! Thanks!
December 5th, 2012, 01:21 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With Jackson I started weaning around 12 months but he also ready to wean at that time. I put him on whole milk at daycare and just gradually cut my pumping sessions down at while I was at work. As far as weaning him while you are at home, you might just try to breastfeed once or twice a day and eventually go to once a day and then to none which will help to dry you up. I am surprised that the lactation consultant was not much help, that is suppose to be there job.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
December 5th, 2012, 07:20 PM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
I just want to say good luck. You could also just nurse baby when you are home and do formula while away. Your body will adjust to the amount they need.

Madison did not wean until 2.5 years and I plan to go as long as Bryson wants as well.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
December 5th, 2012, 08:08 PM
MamaT3blessings's Avatar Super Mommy
The only reason why mixing is not a good idea is because you might waste your breastmilk if the baby doesn't finish the bottle.

I will wean at 1 year. Regardless if Luke is ready, 1 year is my cut off. I will slowly take out one feeding per day. I'll probably cut out the middle of the day feedings, then the morning, and then let the night feedings be the last that I cut out. Just replace breastfeeding with a bottle of formula for each feeding.

Thanks Kiliki for the siggie!

***Ashley***
December 6th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyTurner View Post
The only reason why mixing is not a good idea is because you might waste your breastmilk if the baby doesn't finish the bottle.
Why is this a bad idea? Breast milk is free so its not like like dumping formula down the drain???

December 6th, 2012, 07:42 AM
JsBaby's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsey2000k View Post
Why is this a bad idea? Breast milk is free so its not like like dumping formula down the drain???
Our breastmilk is "liquid gold" and not as readily available as formula. Especially if you don't have a stock pile or just go day to day.

We are taking a kid free trip in January and will be gone for 6 days. This is my biggest reason for weaning. The vacation sounded like a good idea when booking. Now as it gets closer, I'm struggling with the idea of leaving my baby for that long! I don't have enough of a stock pile for while we are gone and I selfishly don't want to have to pump while on vacation.
December 6th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Ashley you probably won't have to use formula when you wean Luke at the age of 1. My pedi put Jackson on whole milk at 1 so I was able to start feeding him whole milk instead of breastfeeding and weaning him from breastmilk to whole milk, which is definitely cheaper than formula.
JsBaby likes this.

December 6th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JsBaby View Post
Our breastmilk is "liquid gold" and not as readily available as formula. Especially if you don't have a stock pile or just go day to day.

We are taking a kid free trip in January and will be gone for 6 days. This is my biggest reason for weaning. The vacation sounded like a good idea when booking. Now as it gets closer, I'm struggling with the idea of leaving my baby for that long! I don't have enough of a stock pile for while we are gone and I selfishly don't want to have to pump while on vacation.
but its free...lol and you don't have to go buy it...lol
And its on tap 24/7 so its always available... and when not then you have formula as a back up.
Im just kidding with you. I didnt know if "bad idea" was for health reasons or not.

Has baby already had formula? Madison absolutely refused it when I tried once so I always had to have BM for her.

Hope you have a great vacation. I would have a hard time leaving as well. And I absolutely HATE pumping and never get enough out. I am thankful I am not away from him very much or I would have to supplement with formula.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissalaw View Post
Ashley you probably won't have to use formula when you wean Luke at the age of 1. My pedi put Jackson on whole milk at 1 so I was able to start feeding him whole milk instead of breastfeeding and weaning him from breastmilk to whole milk, which is definitely cheaper than formula.
I agree some DR's are now recommending its beneficial to Breastfeed until 2 now but if you feed formula they recommend Whole milk at 12 months typically.

December 6th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Lindsey, Jackson was just like Madison. I had a very difficult time breastfeeding him which I think was because he was my first baby and breastfeeding is pretty hard in the beginning so I debated about weaning and giving formula. So I tried formula and he absolutely refused. he would push the bottle out of his mouth and spit it back out. then he would cry and scream until I breastfed. So I didn't really have a choice. I guess he might have eventually drank some of the formula but my nerves just couldn't deal with the screaming and crying so I just gave in and breastfed him. Thankfully it eventually got easier on us and now with Jacob it is really easy. It is still time consuming but I have found ways that make it work for us.

December 6th, 2012, 11:44 AM
I think it was in my breastfeeding class where I heard never mix breast milk and formula. The LC said that its better to give straight breastmilk, and then if they are still hungry offer formula. I've just heard that alot of different places so it always stuck with me. I would probably do it though. I will do that with breastmilk and cows milk when he is one.

I just can't go past 1. I'm sure it will be hard because Luke loves breastfeeding and I enjoy it too. But, I will be working next year and I hate pumping. So 1 is the cut off. Cows milk will be what I transition him to. Maybe put like half and half breastmilk/cowsmilk in a sippy to get him used to it when he turns 1.

***Ashley***
December 6th, 2012, 12:04 PM
I have never heard that before..lol I have heard try your hardest not to formula feed because you fall into a trap where you just start giving formula and breastfeeding is supply and demand so that bottle of formula you give is one less your body is asked to make and it becomes a down hill slope. But you only have to really worry about that in the beginning not as they are older.

I would not mix milk & breast milk into the same cup though. I would start by removing one of his feedings like say at lunch offer him a sippy with cows milk then dinner then breakfeast or what ever order you want.

When madison was older she only nursed at nap time and bed time so I never had to worry about pumping while she was away from me. So if you wanted to still keep a breastfeeding relationship you can always do that. Your body will adjust to know how much milk to make. It doesn't have to be all or none

But I know some people cut off at 1 no matter what and its your baby and your body and you know best

December 6th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Ashley that's what I did when Jackson turned one. I started mixing a little bit of cow's milk with breastmilk and just gradually increased the amount of cow's milk until he was only getting cow's milk.

December 6th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Ashley that's what I did when Jackson turned one. I started mixing a little bit of cow's milk with breastmilk and just gradually increased the amount of cow's milk until he was only getting cow's milk.
Oh really I thought you were not supposed to mix..lol
All this parenting stuff just depends on who you ask.

December 6th, 2012, 12:45 PM
My dr had me mix it because Jackson was so picky and it helped to transition him from the taste of breastmilk to cow's milk. And yes all dr's are different. Like some telling you to start solids at 4 months and some at 6 months and some later.

I just have to say that I am so glad that our PR is drama free. We can all have our own opinions and accept others opinions. Seems like there is alot of drama on some of the other boards and I'm just so thankful that we don't have that here.

Thanks ladies for always being so wonderful and supportive of each other.
bookworm16_2000 likes this.

December 6th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Quote:
My dr had me mix it because Jackson was so picky and it helped to transition him from the taste of breastmilk to cow's milk. And yes all dr's are different. Like some telling you to start solids at 4 months and some at 6 months and some later.

I just have to say that I am so glad that our PR is drama free. We can all have our own opinions and accept others opinions. Seems like there is alot of drama on some of the other boards and I'm just so thankful that we don't have that here.

Thanks ladies for always being so wonderful and supportive of each other.
agreed! glad we were May 2012 instead of May 2013
melissalaw likes this.

December 6th, 2012, 02:12 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
I weaned Charlie at 9 months, i had milk in the freezer, but not enough to get him to a year. I cut out one feeding a week to get him used to a bottle, and i gave him breastmilk. By the time he was fully on bottles i was running out of breastmilk ( i did not continue to pump as i did not have time with going back to work almost full time) So i started doing 1/2 bm and 1/2 formula in bottles to get him used to the taste. At 11 months i was out of BM and he went completely on formula for a month or so.
We then switched to whole milk.

They are actually saying now that BFing to 2 is a good thing, but if you give formula to give that to 2 as well, instead of switching to whole milk.

Do what you need to do. I remember how freeing i felt when i was finally done, even though i was sad to be done. Sometime we have to decide what is best for our families, even if it isnt the popular choice.
December 7th, 2012, 02:46 AM
Raven_Haired_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I say if you are ready to wean do so and don't look back. I don't like when it causes guilt. We have enough mommy guilt. But it's easier said then done. Plus I feel some people look down on deciding to wean instead of baby doing it on their own. I agree we need to support each other.

Slater starting milk at a year was a big mistake. He had severe constipation for a long time to the point of impactions. Plus his tummy was sensitive. So to go from Nutramegin to milk makes no sense to me now. I will try toddler formula with Archer since his tummy is really sensitive.

Thanks PrincessMom08 for my wonderful siggy!
December 7th, 2012, 09:04 AM
That scares me Brandy! So far Luke hasn't had any digestion issues. He poops very regularly and has an average amount of gassiness, lol. I'm afraid that when we do switch to cows milk his little tummy wont be able to handle it because he is only breastfed....Lets hope we don't run into any issues!

I know weaning can be frowned upon. But I'm proud that I will breastfeed to 1 year! For me, 1 year is the longest I will be able to go. I enjoy breastfeeding, but I'm not gonna lie...I am looking forward to that 1 year mark. lol.
Raven_Haired_Mama likes this.

***Ashley***
December 7th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Ashley I don't blame you for wanting to stop breastfeeding at a year. It is very hard and time consuming so doing it for a year is great. I stopped with my first child at a year. I haven't decided yet what we will do with Jacob.

I would talk to your dr about switching to cow's milk. It might help if you combine breastmilk and cow's milk to let his body get used to it. With Jackson we didn't have any issues at all going from breastmilk to cow's milk.

December 7th, 2012, 07:41 PM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
One year is great! Hexk, 6 months is great...I think everyone should be proud that they went as long as did...with Kaiden, he wouldnt touch formula - ever...or a bottle (even w/BM in it)...so I was basically tied to him 24/7...he weaned at 14 months, but I started cutting out one feeding at right around 11 months and giving him cows milk, then I cut out more...the reason I stopped B/Fing at 14 months was cause I had a M/C and was on medication that I didnt want getting into him - and at the time, he was only feeding at nap and night time anyway, and it wasnt a real feeding...

Maiya is going slower - she's only had baby food a handful of times...and I'm in less of a rush to wean her since she is most likely my last baby, so we will see...my guess is that she'll feed till about 18 months, but this girl loves the boob like no other, so we shall see...I hadnt heard about the toddler formula vs milk thing, guess I'll ask my pedi next week when we are in there...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search