Those of you with older children....

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Beachbabies

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 7th, 2012, 09:51 AM
MamaT3blessings's Avatar Super Mommy
I am a first time mommy so I'd like some advice...

I am currently babysitting a 3-year-old boy and a 10-month old girl as a part time job. I bring Luke with me as well. I was in the kitchen making the little girl a bottle while Luke was in the exersaucer and the little boy was eating pomegranate seeds. I look up and he is standing next to Luke and Luke has a yucky look on his face. I quickly ran over and stuck my finger in Luke's mouth. I pulled out 3 pomegranate seeds. I was sooooo angry. I talked to the little boy and then told his mom when she came back home.

My question is, how do you handle things like this? Do you trust your older child with the baby? How do you know your older child won't give the baby a small toy or hard piece of candy? How do you know your older child won't knock the baby over, play rough with the baby? ETC. ETC.

I am now afraid to leave Luke alone with this little boy. The mother told me that he gives his little sister fruit so he probably thought it was okay. It still freaks me out.......

Thanks Kiliki for the siggie!

***Ashley***
December 7th, 2012, 10:12 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thankfully Jackson has been great with Jacob, but since Jacob was first born we have been telling Jackson how he must be gentle with Jacob.

I don't let Jackson eat food unless he is sitting at the table so I usually don't have to worry about him feeding Jacob anything. As far as the toys, I have already gone through Jackson's toys and anything small that Jacob could choke on, I have put up and won't get back down until Jacob is bigger and can't swallow them. Thankfully other than some parts to Mr. Potato Head and a few other things, Jackson didn't have any small toys that Jacob could swallow.

I also don't leave Jacob in the floor with Jackson unless I am in the room. Jackson sometimes doesn't pay attention to where he is going and will just run into things, so I have been afraid that he would step on Jacob. If I have to leave the room, I will usually put Jacob in his exersaucer and Jackson very rarely bothers him.

You might just go through the toys and put the ones that could hurt Luke in the kids rooms or something like that so Luke can't get them. And talk to the mom about starting a rule that there is no eating unless at the table so you don't have to worry about them feeding Luke.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
December 7th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I never leave Chase alone with Cole unless Cole is in his crib. Every child is different, but Chase is very hands on with Cole and is gentle *most* of the time but I'm always afraid he's going to accidentally bonk him or trip on him, etc. I wouldn't put it past Chase to try to feed Cole either, even though I've told him he can't eat stuff like that. Some kids are just like that. The little boy was probably trying to be nice to Luke and didn't realize how dangerous it was.

I do try to give Chase many chances to help me with Cole in ways that he can, like spoon feeding when I'm right there, grabbing me diapers, "washing" him in the bath. If I have to leave the boys alone to go to the bathroom or switch laundry or something, I usually put Cole in his crib with a toy, but I don't know if there is a crib there. I also wear Cole in the baby carrier a lot when I'm doing things like laundry or dishes and can't have my eye on the boys at all times.

Maybe I'm overly anal about it, I don't know, Chase is really good most of the time, but he is just 3. Three year olds still have a lot of learning to do, that's for sure.

Oh and I wanted to edit to add that I do the same thing with Chase with food- he eats at the table. Maybe from now on just make sure the little boy doesn't have any snacks or anything in his hands like that if you have to step away.
muffin300 likes this.

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!

Last edited by Beachbabies; December 7th, 2012 at 10:21 AM.
December 7th, 2012, 11:59 AM
muffin300's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Elijah just turned 3 last month. and no I can not trust him lol. He is very sweet and gentle most of the time... and he is generally way to concerned with making sure Lydia does not "bite" his things to have any of his toys near her. so it is not a huge issue. but I can not leave them alone together. For the most part though I just explain things to him over and over and over again about why he can't pick her up, or feed her, or push her over. He gets it usually after I tell him, but some things you don't think to tell them till after it has happened.

December 7th, 2012, 02:50 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
Allison is almost 3 (in Feb) and absolutely loves JR.

We went through all of her toys to keep the big ones that she can share with JR in the living room and the smaller ones stay in her room (her wooden blocks that are fairly big but have sharper corners than I want around the baby).

I let Allison do as much as possible to "help" JR. She gets him toys, picks up his sippy when he's in the high chair, get diapers and wipes, she sits in the tub and washes him, carries his food to the high chair... This satisfies her need to be a big helper (the best compliment I can give her!) and helps me out.

If I need to step out of the room I put JR in a safe place (his jumperoo, high chair...) so he's safe. It's less that I'm worried about Allison hurting JR and more that JR is mobile and likes to follow me.

Food is only eaten at the table so I don't worry about her feeding JR. Making a certain area that food can be eaten (and keeping Luk out of it) will make things much easier on you and clean up a snap!

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
December 7th, 2012, 03:22 PM
MamaT3blessings's Avatar Super Mommy
Thank you everyone! I know he's only three, but goodness it was so hard not to get angry for those few seconds. Thank GOD I saw him and stopped it before anything bad happened.

I will just have to do things differently. I have no experience with caring for two children at two different ages....so I am learning alot by watching these two kids. But goodness its stressful!

I am bringing my Ergo and carrying Luke around with me!

I appreciate all of the advice. I'm sure I will need it when we have our second baby and Luke is a toddler......

Thanks Kiliki for the siggie!

***Ashley***
December 8th, 2012, 05:47 AM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
Madison is 5 and I still dont trust her 100% alone with him. If I need to leave the room for a long period of time I always make her come with me.

http://lindseysphotography.com/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search