Any tips for babies and dogs?

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 7th, 2012, 02:29 PM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hubby and I are cat people and I have very little experience with dogs. However, my sister-in-law has a large dog who will be staying at my inlaws' house with all of us while we're there at Christmas.

The dog is an incredibly friendly labradoodle -- he's a nice dog but is also very used to being the "baby" of the family. I don't think he has any experience with babies and Kira has had almost no exposure to dogs. He's also very young; just over a year old.

Hubby and I already agree that the dog is NEVER to be left alone with Kira and cannot have access to any room she's sleeping in. That may be overkill but that's what we want until we see what the dynamic is.

Do any of you have any other suggestions on how to introduce them so that it's as stress-free as possible for both the humans and the dog? Should I put Kira on the floor and let Wrigley smell her? Or maybe have him smell some of her clothes?

Any other tips or tricks/dos and don'ts? Thanks!
December 7th, 2012, 06:30 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would hold Kira and introduce her to the dog. See how the dog is going to react to her. I'm agreed to never leave them alone and not put Kira down on floor while dog is around. He could accidentally step on her.

Our dogs are pretty good with our kids but they are kind of scared of the kids so they will usually just steer clear of them.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
December 7th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Lisa H's Avatar Super Mommy
If the dog is big, it is probably best to not put Kira on the floor with the dog around. I agree with Melissa that you should hold Kira and let the dog smell her.

It is definitely not overkill to make sure the dog stays out of Kira's room. Sometimes animals do things to babies that hurt them even if they mean well.
December 8th, 2012, 05:18 AM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
My labradoodle turned 1 a couple weeks ago. She has been around Bryson since day 1 but I dont trust her with him on the floor she gets to crazy. So when its floor time for him she goes in her cage or outside.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
December 8th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Veteran
I don't think it's overkill either! Better safe than sorry is my motto. I agree with holding Kira and letting the dog see her from a short distance first. Then you can judge his demeanor around her without him having access to her. Then I would let the dog sniff and lick (if you're ok with that. I hate when my dogs lick my kid.)

Agreed to never leave them alone...you just never know, and even the friendliest of animals could do something accidentally.

ALso, I'd make sure the puppy gets the normal amount of fussing over and attention as normal. That way, in his dog mind, things are normal, there's just a new person here...not "man, that little person has stolen all the attention. I better poop on this rug so they know I'm still here" or something like that

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search