Table Food

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bookworm16_2000
  • 1 Post By Beachbabies

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 19th, 2012, 07:22 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What kinds of table foods are you feeding your baby? Do you ever worry about baby choking on the table food?

I haven't given Jacob any table food yet. he is just eating the baby food purees. I think I may try giving him some bananas but it still just makes me nervous about him choking on table food which is why I guess I haven't given him any yet.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
December 19th, 2012, 07:41 AM
MamaT3blessings's Avatar Super Mommy
We have also tried giving him a piece of banana about 2 weeks ago. He gagged on it and scared us to death. We also tried one of those Gerber Puffs. He grabbed one when we were at a friends house and I just thought, oh what will it hurt....He started gagging and choking. And then immediatly starting crying.

Luke is definitely not ready for table food. At this point all he eats are Gerber stage 2 purees.

I honestly do not understand how mothers do BLW. Luke can't handle anything unless it is pureed.....

Thanks Kiliki for the siggie!

***Ashley***
December 19th, 2012, 07:51 AM
I don't know how moms do the BLW either Ashley. I just don't think Jacob is ready for table food yet plus it scares me to give him anything besides purees because I'm afraid of him choking.

December 19th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Raven_Haired_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Purees mostly. He has had banana, avacado, and steamed brocolli. But I mash them up to tiny mush. He gags on anything big. He does fine with melting puffs and that's about it.

Thanks PrincessMom08 for my wonderful siggy!
December 19th, 2012, 12:07 PM
pfmommy07's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to pfmommy07 Send a message via MSN to pfmommy07 Send a message via Yahoo to pfmommy07
Trinity loves table food. Steamed broccoli is a huge hit with her.

So far she has tried
toast
steamed broccoli
mashed potatoes
fresh banana
plum slices
pear slices
slice of steak that I held and she chewed on
dinner roll
biscuit(she stole this one)
cooked beans I made then squished for her
parents choice rice cups
gerber teething biscuits
fresh green beans
fresh asparagus
scrambled egg
She LOVES food! Tried puree stuff and she spits it out after giving me the nastiest face ever.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my siggy!

Last edited by pfmommy07; December 19th, 2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: added to food list
December 19th, 2012, 12:52 PM
muffin300's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lydia is a bread girl she loooves it. I try not to give her too much because I don't want her filling up on that, and not drinking her milk or eating veggies. I started out with BLW and she gagged and freaked me out. so I tried purees for a while, but she really doesn't like them. so I slowly went back to table food and now she is doing really good with it. she has had.
broccoli
bread
french toast
pizza crust
cooked carrots
mashed potatoes
sweet potatos
peas
cheerios
gerber puffs
yogurt puffs
cream of wheat
avocado
banana
...not sure what else. I just give her little nibbles of what we are eating that day.

December 19th, 2012, 01:19 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
JR eats exactly what we do. It makes my life easier. I don't worry about JR choking because he had to learn how to manipulate food from day 1 (we didn't do purees).

The biggest thing to remember with BLW is the difference between gagging and choking. Gagging happens when the baby needs to bring a piece of food to the front of the mouth to chew it up more (or spit it out if they can't fully chew it). Choking is when food gets stuck in the windpipe and they can't breathe. Rarely does full on choking occur with babies (or anyone), gagging happens as babies learn how to eat food that requires more than swallowing.

I do BLW because I'd never get to eat otherwise (and I'm too lazy to do purees ).
melissalaw likes this.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
December 19th, 2012, 03:31 PM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We only do purees so far, other than Cheerios now and then. We don't have a philosophy or anything; it's just what's working for us so far.
December 27th, 2012, 02:38 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are doing BLW here as well. I am amazed at how much has changed in a month for him. he used to do quite a bit of DRAMATIC gagging when he started and now...he knows JUST how much he can handle. He was eating a clementine on Christmas (we used to hold them and he would suck them)...well, he did it on his own in his mouth. He has had so many foods, I can't even begin to list it. I'll list a few.
Apples
Clementines
Bananas
Pastas
Puffs
Peaches
French Fries
Chicken leg
Broccoli (LOVEDDDD)
breads
ham
sweet taters
green beans
corn
a Cheeto (haha, he loved it)
roast, carrots and potatoes
mac and cheese
beef stroganoff
yogurt
dry toast (wheat and white)

Literally, everything we have ate and more for the last month (almost 2 months now).
December 27th, 2012, 03:30 PM
sigh....I am jealous of you all doing BLW. I would love for Luke to eat table food. But I am just so scared because he gags so much. Even something as small as a Gerber puff, he gagged up. He literally turns red his eyes get huge and red and he starts chocking and then cries. I just can't watch that and then stick another one in his mouth....I'm not sure how to get past the gagging stage.

***Ashley***
December 27th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Puffs are actually a bit harder for them to manipulate right away since they are SO small and get pushed around too easily in their mouth and they can't control it BLW is all about the babies controlling the food I would honestly maybe start him off with a piece of dry toast, no crust and just hand him it and see what happens
December 28th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Ashley I'm right there with you. The gagging just scares the crap out of me. jacob's dr is not a big fan of BLW either. She likes to to the purees and to only introduce one new food every 3 days. She doesn't even want us to introduce yogurt until 9 months and no eggs until a year old. I guess it might seem a bit old fashioned but it worked with Jackson and he has no food allergies at all so that is what we feel comfortable with and that is what we do.

December 28th, 2012, 10:26 AM
We actually have an appointment today to follow-up on his RSV. I am going to ask her about BLW, and starting him on table foods. What I can give him, how to approach it...and if this is the right time. I'll let you all know what her opinion is!

***Ashley***
December 28th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Yes let me know. I hope Luke's RSV is all better.

December 28th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:fearless:. View Post
We are doing BLW here as well. I am amazed at how much has changed in a month for him. he used to do quite a bit of DRAMATIC gagging when he started and now...he knows JUST how much he can handle. He was eating a clementine on Christmas (we used to hold them and he would suck them)...well, he did it on his own in his mouth. He has had so many foods, I can't even begin to list it. I'll list a few.
Apples
Clementines
Bananas
Pastas
Puffs
Peaches
French Fries
Chicken leg
Broccoli (LOVEDDDD)
breads
ham
sweet taters
green beans
corn
a Cheeto (haha, he loved it)
roast, carrots and potatoes
mac and cheese
beef stroganoff
yogurt
dry toast (wheat and white)

Literally, everything we have ate and more for the last month (almost 2 months now).
I had a feeling Jax was the perfect candidate for BLW. I remember you telling us how much he really wanted "grown up" food from a really young age. Go Jax! Chase was like that. I'm going to try the toast idea tonight...thanks for the suggestion. Cole actually does quite well with the puffs now and has had bananas and avocados...he does the gagging with the bananas and avocados though.
.:fearless:. likes this.

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
December 28th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbabies View Post
I had a feeling Jax was the perfect candidate for BLW. I remember you telling us how much he really wanted "grown up" food from a really young age. Go Jax! Chase was like that. I'm going to try the toast idea tonight...thanks for the suggestion. Cole actually does quite well with the puffs now and has had bananas and avocados...he does the gagging with the bananas and avocados though.
HAHA, he totally is. I don't think it is for every baby...but Jax has certainly taken a liking to it. However, at first he was SOOOO overly dramatic with gagging. He would gag very loudly, spit it out and put it right back in haha. I think he gave Mike about a million heart attacks
December 28th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Archer used to gag alot. But I keep easing him back into things. He now was eating a gerber puffy looking cheeto things no problem. It seems slimy food gags him more.

To me BLW is more natural. What did people do before blenders you know?

December 30th, 2012, 02:27 PM
I think my husband freaks out more. I keep telling him, "its okay, hes just gagging, its a reflex, dont worry" but he cant handle it. He freaks out and takes the food.

***Ashley***
December 31st, 2012, 06:56 AM
Ashley I was like that too. It freaked me out the first few times. I just went back to purees for a bit and tried again later on. He still mainly eats purees and an occasional regular food.

December 31st, 2012, 10:18 AM
Lisa H's Avatar Super Mommy
We are doing mostly purees too but I'll give him a few bites of whatever we are eating if it is soft enough. Usually it's peas, carrots, potatoes or pasta (I'll take some out and mix it with vegetables so he doesn't get any sauce.)

My brother gave Nick ice cream, chocolate marshmallows and cookies on Christmas day. He was so overloaded with sugar, he was bouncing off the walls. My brother kept sneaking it to him while I wasn't looking and of course Nick just snapped up everything

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search