Nursing moms...biting baby!

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 6th, 2013, 07:18 AM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Anyone else still nursing? Brayden has two SHARP bottom teeth. He takes a bottle during the day and I nurse overnight while I am home. He now takes formula and breastmilk and eats literally two jars of baby food 3x a day. He loves him some baby food!

Anyways about six weeks ago right after one of my one week trips away from town due to work he bit me during our first nursing session when I got back drew blood and I got an infection. I had to pump on that side for nearly a week before it healed. Since then he now bites allllll the time. I've tried every method online...yelling ouch, telling him no! Taking him off the breast and ending the nursing session. Only feeding when he is super hungry or in the middle of the night. It's not working. He gets very frustrated with the breast and I'm having a hard time letting down because I am waiting constantly for him to clamp down. I can't relax. He is upset, I am upset.

I did take him to urgent care yesterday for a fever and cough and he has a double ear infection so that could explain the recent increase n biting if sucking and nursing hurts. But I'm wondering if its causing this much trouble and anxiety between us if we should just wean. I waned to make t a year though and the trout of weaning makes me sad. At the same time I am going to North Carolina next Sunday for my last week of training and if m going to wean I'd prefer to do it in the next week so that I'm not having to pump around the clock while I am gone. But I just don't know what to do. What do you girls think?

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Baby To Be Due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

January 6th, 2013, 09:49 AM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ouch!! We're still breastfeeding but Kira doesn't have any teeth yet. I don't have any advice; it sounds so frustrating for you. I can give lots of hugs though
January 6th, 2013, 10:04 AM
MamaT3blessings's Avatar Super Mommy
Luke does not bite and does have teeth. Honestly, if Luke bit me, drew blood and would not stop...I'm not sure I could continue breastfeeding, LOL. I know that sounds terrible. But If I tried everything (and it sounds like you have) then I dont know what I would do. Luke had bit me once or twice, but he barley bit.. I think it was just testing me and he hasn't done it since. Maybe see if you can talk to a LC or a professional who knows exactly how to handle these problems. I have a cousin whose baby bites her so she is dealing with the same problem. I just dont think I would be as strong as you guys!

Thanks Kiliki for the siggie!

***Ashley***
January 6th, 2013, 10:39 AM
muffin300's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
still nursing here. fortunately she doesn't have teeth yet. DS bit me and drew blood before. but I do not remember what I did to stop it.

January 6th, 2013, 11:31 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Hadley has no teeth, but I would put my finger on Grady's mouth, tell him no, or I'd yell ouch. The benefit to having late teethers (around 10 months) is they are more understanding of what you are saying. Just be consistent. They are just unaware of how painful those little teeth can be so you have to teach them to not be curious with you!

January 6th, 2013, 11:52 AM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
no teeth here but i feel for you, sorry. I would contact an LC before weaning

January 7th, 2013, 05:05 AM
Well since I posted this he has gone on a full blown nursing strike. He will NOT nurse. He arches his back and screams. If I can get him to take the breast he just bites down then rips off. I'm going to call and LC today. I am just so upset over alll this. He will drink my milk if I express it so its not the milk. He is nursing fine off a bottle too so I don't think its his ear infection.

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Baby To Be Due September 19th 2014

January 7th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Awwww. I hope the LC is helpful!
January 7th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Well the LC was at a loss. When I told her everything I have tried she said there's not much else to try...that maybe he's just telling me he is done nursing. WTH he is only 8 mos old!

January 7th, 2013, 03:47 PM
So I got home hopeful that he would nurse tonight. Instead he screamed bloody murder, arched away from me, pinched me, pushed me away. When I finally got him close enough to the breast he just bit the crud out of me and shrieked some more.

I give up. I can't emotionally continue to do this. It's affecting our relationship. I was so shocked at how violently he was rejecting me tonight that I couldn't help but literally bawl my eyes out.

So we are weaning. I'm phasing out my pumping.

January 7th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Oh, Elizabeth, I'm so sorry, that sounds so incredibly difficult. You're being so strong and really giving it all you've got.
January 8th, 2013, 11:04 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry that you are dealing with this. Jacob has been sick the past few days and has bit me a time or two but I think he is biting because he is just not hungry. I think some babies are just ready to wean earlier than others. I know how terrible it hurts to be bitten.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
January 8th, 2013, 04:07 PM
For a last try I tried again tonight and as soon as I got my breast out to nurse he started crying and turned away. He wouldn't even let me hold him next to it =( . He acts like I'm killing him. It sucks.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search