Childproofing, gates, or combination?

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 6th, 2013, 10:18 AM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been passive-aggressively putting off childproofing because I'm totally overwhelmed by it.

We have a fairly large house with a lot of...well, stuff. Hubby is a bit of a packrat and gets apoplectic if I try to throw anything out, and a lot of it is small electronics pieces (resistors, capacitors, small gauge wire, etc).

So, thus far we've been making do with having a large baby jail area in two rooms of the house. She's completely walled off by a circle of baby gates but there's enough room for her to crawl and play and etc. I spend most of the time in there with her, or else I'm sitting just outside it (like I am now) to be on the computer or do some cross-stitching.

She seems totally happy but I wonder if I should be biting the bullet and trying to childproof the house sooner rather than later. Or should I just chill out and childproof as I can and not worry about her being in her "gated community"?

Along these lines...do any of you have a checklist for childproofing? I've looked online but they're overwhelming to me. It takes my husband 3 weeks to sign his name to a birthday card that I've bought; by the time he replaces all of our outlet covers, Kira will be in college.
January 6th, 2013, 10:49 AM
muffin300's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
hmm I never have looked at a list. But my husband is a computer technician so I know all about the little parts dilemma....and the procrastinating I can relate to also :/. I just started with little things I could, and figured it out as DS started getting around. I think first we locked up any cupboards with chemicals, and then put plugs in the electric sockets. then as I watched him I would just see what things he looked like he would be going after next. however, if she is happy being in her gated community I say that sounds great. I should find a picture of our house when we had DS lol. We had the entire innards of a car on our living room floor. I don't think DH got motivated to do anything till after he saw Elijah messing with his stuff haha.

January 6th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Lisa H's Avatar Super Mommy
We live in a house with 3 floors. The bottom floor is not going to be baby proofed at all, the main floor is going to be completely done and the top floor is going to be done on a room by room basis.

The top floor is just bedrooms and a bathroom. Nick's room was baby-proofed when we did it up for him last March. The bathroom is already pretty safe and we keep the door closed anyway. I don't think we are going to worry about our bedroom because Nick is hardly ever in there, we'll see when he gets a bit more mobile.

The main floor living room is pretty much done, I just have a few items that need new homes soon. We have locks on the kitchen cabinets that need it. We also have a couple of pressurized gates that we can move around and cage Nick into an area when we need to and a mounted gate to block the stairs.

Essentially, the areas of the house that Nick and I spend most of our time in are all ready for him to explore and the rest of the house may or may not get done as we see fit. I don't follow any checklists, just common sense.
January 7th, 2013, 08:44 AM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
I do a bit of childproofing but I don't go crazy about it! We have 3 cabinets latched (1 in the kitchen and 2 in bathrooms they have chemicals and the trash can), 1 drawer (with sharp objects in it), the big stuff anchored, and all the outlets covered. We have a gated community for JR in our bathroom so I can take a shower/bath without worry and all of Allison's small toys are kept in her bedroom. Everything else is accessible to the kids. They love to go in the kitchen and play with canned food, tupperware, and plastic spatulas while I cook.

I'd say childproof a few rooms (living room, kitchen, her bedroom, and maybe the bathroom) and close the doors to anything else. Tell hubby to keep his small stuff out of those spaces and it should be fine. Don't worry about the baby gates, they are useful! You don't put her behind bars and leave her, you interact and play with her in it so it's a nice space. They are also nice whhen they start pulling up- perfect height to cruise

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
January 7th, 2013, 09:31 AM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
Im not a big childproofer, we just keep an eye on liam and see what he seems inclined to get into. We have outlet covers in the areas he plays but not the whole house. we have cabinet locks in the kitchen and downstairs bathroom because they were alredy there, when he started crawling and pulling up we moved the coffee table more so he had more space and we dont even have stair gates yet because hes never alone upstairs and he hasnt discovered crawling up them yrt. I do however vaccumm like crazy becayuse he puts every little thing in his mouth

January 7th, 2013, 08:30 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You could change the outlets yourself Or..just get the plugs that go in them. That is what I use. These are the ones we use.
Safety 1st Press n' Pull Plug Protector - Safety 1st - Babies "R" Us

I don't "baby proof". I redirect and teach them not to touch. Things that can cause immediate danger (candles, glass, toxins) I obviously keep away until they are old enough to fully understand the importance and meaning behind that "OMG NOOO!!!!" We have our kitchen gated off, but not the hall or my room (both off the living room where we spend our day. I don't have the entertainment center blocked or things out from under my end table. Nothing can hurt him, it is just annoying right now. It is AWFUL to take a child to a house/place that isn't baby proofed and having to follow them around to make sure they stay out of trouble. My floor is vaccuumed a lot to keep the small stuff off the floor, but that is it.

Honestly, I would just do it for your husband. Those small things need put away and out of her reach. She won't be content in her gated community forever
January 8th, 2013, 07:06 AM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
The way my house is set up He can be gated into the family room & kitchen. It worked well with Madison.
My advice on cabinet locks is to get the magnet ones. I had the lever ones and by 12 mo Madison figured them out and could open them so we had to go buy the magnest ones.
I just put outlet covers on and picked up things that can hurt them or I dont want broken and let them explore. Every now and then I would unlock the pots & pans cabnet and let her have fun

http://lindseysphotography.com/
January 8th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Raven_Haired_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a baby jail for when I need to cook dinner. He's not always happy in his highchair. But it most of the time blocks electronics on the tv stand. I would love to redirect. But he's so active and fast I get worn out. He is also only allowed in the livingroom for now. But it's really huge. I need to get a cover for the 15 inch brick fireplace ledge still. the plugs are covered. I put anything cleaner wise on the shelf above my washer and dryer.

Thanks PrincessMom08 for my wonderful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search