Trying to get Kira to stay asleep in her crib

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2013, 08:57 AM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not looking for advice per se (though if anyone has any, I'm all ears!) but I wanted to place to document some sleep time experiments.

Ever since Kira's last bad cold, she had been sleeping in her Rock N Play. She sleeps wonderfully in it -- goes to bed around 8-9pm, wakes up to eat around 5-6am, then sleeps again until about 8am.

The last few nights, we've tried to transition her back into her crib and it hasn't worked at all. She goes to sleep just fine but wakes up screaming around 1 or 2am. She'll scream and cry for over an hour. Hubby tries to get her back to sleep but the only thing that works is my comfort-nursing her until she stops crying and then putting her in the Rock N Play again for the rest of the night.

I figure there's one of 3 things going on:

1) She just got into the habit of sleeping in the Rock N Play and will eventually learn to self-soothe in the crib

2) She prefers the incline of the Rock N Play and may sleep better in the crib if we elevate the mattress

3) She prefers the "hug"-like nature of the Rock N Play and may sleep better in the crib if we try to swaddle her or something similar.

I know she can self-soothe in general because she puts herself back to sleep in the Rock N Play without screaming all the time. The crib and the Rock N Play are also in the same room (right next to one another) so the room layout, lighting, temperature, etc are all the same.

Anyway, this is rambling mostly so I can come back and remember what I've tried. I think I'll try to elevate the mattress tonight (my pediatrician OK'ed it at a previous appointment) and see if that helps. We'll try it for a few nights. Wish us luck!
January 7th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Veteran
We never had a rock n play, though I wished we would have gotten one! I'll share what has worked for us, and although it may not be the best way to do it, it works, and I'm good with that!

After she has a bath and we have some quiet play time, I put her in her bouncy seat and hand her a 3 oz bottle. She holds it on her own and she will look at the tv and fall asleep.

Then when I head upstairs, I get her out of the bouncy, change her, and carry her to her bed. Sometimes she wakes up, sometimes not at all, and sometimes she just stirs. Either way, as soon as I lay her in her bed and turn out the light it's over haha. She is out cold. But I haven't figured out how to get her to consistently sleep. Some mornings she is up at 4:45, sometimes it's 7:30, sometimes it's 6. I do not understand this!!

But for the most part, we've got the routine down, I think.
January 7th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Can't wait to hear how it goes. We've had a sleep regression over here (I think due to teething, increased mobility, and knowing that mommy and daddy are in bed nearby) and I am anxious for Cole to start sleeping better in his crib too! Good luck

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
January 7th, 2013, 11:07 AM
muffin300's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
it might just take some getting used to for her. at least I hope it works for you . However i will not give any advise because miss Lyd has been waking up every couple hours 90% of her life. ...soo yeah when you figure out how to get her sleeping through the night feel free to share what works for you lol.

January 7th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Raven_Haired_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Archer was in the rock and play since birth. With his torticollis his head only would lay one direction which flattened his head bad. At 4 months I move him to his crib in hopes he had more chances to lay his head differently. He was used to the snug incline too. I just put him in the crib and never turned back. He had a few difficult nights but we powered through them. I couldn't imagine him in the rock and play now. He is getting close to the weight limit plus he's been sitting up well for several months.

Thanks PrincessMom08 for my wonderful siggy!
January 7th, 2013, 08:40 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am glad I didnt' get one of those, lol. Almost every baby I heard of had such a hard transition out of them.

Anyhow...I would say what Brandy..just power through. Obviously, not CIO, but just keep putting her back to sleep. Sigh...these lil stinkers!
January 8th, 2013, 05:55 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have been having trouble getting Jacob to sleep in his crib also. He has always slept in his swing and that is where he likes to sleep. Unfortunately he is way too big and the darn thing won't even swing any more..lol. I think for Jacob he likes the snuggle effect of the swing. In his crib he just seems to toss and turn like crazy and then get upset. I will usually start him off in his crib and when he wakes up which is usually around 1 or 2. I will nurse him and then put him in his swing. I figure if he can do half of the night in the crib we are doing okay and hopefully he will eventually stay the entire night in his crib. So I completely understand what you are going through.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
January 8th, 2013, 07:01 AM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
I just want to say good luck.
Bryson sleeps in bed with me and only way he knows how to fall asleep is with a boob in his mouth so I am no help.

I am not a believer in CIO.

My daughter slept with me her first year and I slowly transitioned her to her crib and now she is 5 and sleeps in her own bed in her own room and never comes into mine so my advice is it wont be like this for ever.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
January 8th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Raven_Haired_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh I didn't mean CIO. I personally could never do it. I would just rock Archer back to sleep and lay him in there alseep each time he woke up.

Thanks PrincessMom08 for my wonderful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search