Ferber method really worked for us

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CarolynBB

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 8th, 2013, 08:20 PM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, hopefully I didn't jinx it because we're really only on Day 4, but holy cow did this work well. *knock on wood*

We decided to do sleep training because Kira would not fall asleep without nursing to sleep. She would wake up every 2-3 hours all night long and need a boob to fall back to sleep. My husband would try to get her to sleep but he'd often wake me up in the middle of the night after she'd been screaming in his ear for an hour. It was obvious she wasn't hungry because she'd nurse for only 2-3 minutes and instantly calm down and go back to bed.

Anyway, I decided to try the Ferber method after reading a blog post by a woman whose son's habits sounded exactly like Kira's.

The first night I put her down (awake) at 7:54pm. She cried for about an hour total (I checked on her after 3 minutes, then after 5 minutes, then every 10 minutes until she was asleep). She woke up at 1:20am but hubby was able to get her back to sleep after about a half hour.

The second night I put her down at 7:50pm. She cried for about a half hour total (I checked on her after 5 minutes, then 10 minutes, then 12 minutes). She woke up at 2:25am but fell back to sleep within 10 minutes.

Last night I put her down at 8:17pm. She cried for about 15 minutes total (I checked on her after 10 minutes; she was asleep before the next check, which would have been after 12 minutes). She didn't wake up at all overnight that we know of.

Tonight was the fourth night. I put her down at 7:59pm. She cried for a couple of minutes but was asleep even before the first check, which would have been at 15 minutes.

I'm hesitant to declare utter victory because goodness knows that as soon as I figure something out, Kira changes the game but I'm just thrilled that she's falling asleep on her own! This means I can have mom's night out sometimes, or we can leave her with a sitter...and she's able to fall asleep on her own overnight, so I'm not awake for at least an hour two or three times a night.

Next up, we need to tackle the nap problem....but I'm going to wait until we have a good routine at bedtime here first.
melissalaw likes this.
March 9th, 2013, 07:40 AM
MamaT3blessings's Avatar Super Mommy
When you say you "checked on her" what does that mean?

You just go in and look at her, pat her back, say "its night night time", pick her up, or just peak in?

Thanks Kiliki for the siggie!

***Ashley***
March 9th, 2013, 08:33 AM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I go in for maybe 30 seconds to a minute. I don't pick her up, but I do pat her on the back and talk to her a little ("good night, sweetie, mama's here, sweet dreams", etc).

I also replace the pacifiers that she dumps on the floor -- the Ferber book says technically you're only supposed to do that once but I do it whenever I check on her. I need to pick my battles.

She slept for 11.5 hours straight again last night!
March 9th, 2013, 10:41 AM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Maiya sleeps for 12-13 hours a night since we started sleep training her (we did the Dana Olbermann methos which is similar, basically put them to bed awake, can go in whenever you want to soothe, but dont pick them up - and honestly, its best to just let them work it out by themselves cause it helps them not get worked up as much), the key is getting them to figure out how to put themselves to sleep..on a bad night, she cries for 5 minutes, but most of the time, she doesnt cry at all, sleep is a wonderful thing and will make you a better mommy during the day as well - go Kira!!
March 11th, 2013, 05:54 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Carolyn that's awesome!! So glad that Kira is sleeping good for you guys now. We went through about 2 weeks of Jacob not wanting to go to sleep and having to cry himself to sleep and now he's doing great. Hopefully Kira will keep it up.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
March 12th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Veteran
I may try this technique too...as of now, she falls asleep with a bottle in her swing, then I take her to bed later. But we just got back from vacation last night, and while we were gone, Ryan would let her sleep in bed with us when she woke up at night. I am very against bed sharing (I don't judge others who do, it's just not something I personally am comfortable with in my own family). But I really need to wean her of the "I need a bottle, or held, or in bed with mama and dada, or whatever" to fall asleep!
April 15th, 2013, 07:27 AM
JsBaby's Avatar Super Mommy
Interesting! Hunter takes a bottle to go to sleep. He has been waking up at 1 am and 4 am. it's exhausting and DH rarely gets up with him. I wish he'd sleep better! I may have to try this. He doesn't sleep much at daycare, so I'd think he'd sleep all night but he doesn't. He's been my worst sleeper out of all my kids.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search