Please, tell me what works for you!

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By kld1981

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 4th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Veteran
I'm having a heck of a time with 2 issues.

One is getting rid of the bottle. I'm ok with her having one at bedtime, but not allllll day long. She just will not drink milk from a sippy. Juice and water are fine in a sippy. Milk, not so much. So, instead of forcing her, and her having a meltdown, I give in, and she gets a bottle. Is it so bad to let her have one still? I am clueless as to how to take it away. We made the switch from formula to milk no problem.

And this may be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. How do you give milk when out and about? Do you pack a little lunch cooler with it, or give formula instead when you're on the go?

Issue #2 is bedtime. Some of you have tried the Ferber method, which is letting them cry, holler, whatever for a set amount of time, then going in and comforting them for a bit? Yeah, I kinda tried that tonight. Needless to say, she's hanging out in the living room with us now. I need help haha. She wants to swing to sleep. Which I honestly don't have a problem with, other than that she will soon outgrow the swing and then I'm in deep poop.

Suggestions? Helpful hints? Please? I'm kicking myself in the butt because I'm scared I've allowed bad habits to form and I'm not sure how to break them.
June 5th, 2013, 06:47 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We dealt with the exact same issue with Jacob. He would drink juice and water great out of a sippy cup but would not drink his milk from a cup. What we did is just keep trying until he finally would. We would put milk in his sippy cup with his meals and just keep trying to give it to him. At this time I was still giving him pumped breastmilk warmed up because we had a very difficult time getting him to switch to cold whole milk. so I would put the warmed up milk ( this is also what they did at daycare during the day) and try to get him to drink it, then after his meal I would take whatever milk he hadn't drunk and just put it in a bottle and let him finish it. He eventually drank some of the milk out of the sippy cup then we just gradually tried to get him to switch to cold whole milk which just happened the other day. Jacob does still get a bottle or two of pumped breastmilk at daycare and I am still nursing him several times a day so he is still getting most of his milk from me or the bottle. Just try to wean her gradually off of the bottle. My first son was a bottle addict and he was around 20 months before he gave up that bottle at bedtime which my dentist says is terrible for them, and might be why he has a cavity. but I have found that you do what works for you and your baby.

When we got out, I will either nurse him or I do have a little cooler bag that I take his milk to daycare in so I will just pack it with some milk when we go out especially if I don't want to nurse him which is happening more and more because he is getting hard to nurse in public and keep myself hidden.

I'm not a huge help with your bedtime issue. I know Carolyn had great success with the Ferber method. I still nurse Jacob to sleep and if he doesn't want to nurse then I will rock him. I never put him down completely asleep but he is almost asleep so when I do lay him down he will either just roll over and go to sleep or cry for just a minute and then drift off to sleep. I hope you figure something out. My first son slept in the swing for a very long time and then he just got too big and we had to make him sleep in his bed so with him I gave him a bottle and he went to sleep drinking the bottle which again my dentist says is very bad, but I wanted my baby to go to sleep so that is what I did.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
June 5th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Veteran
Thanks for your reply! I constantly worry that I'm doing something wrong, especially when I have friends and family members telling me she needs to get rid of the bottle. Good thing she isn't their kid! I try to pick my battles, and if she wants to go to sleep in her swing watching Disney Jr, then that's fine, but it can't be that way forever...I guess we will just try and try and try
June 5th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Drives me crazy when everybody thinks they know better than you. Don't second guess yourself. They are not there. I know for me I do what works for us. It may not work for anybody else but I don't care it works for us. Plus I really like my sleep so I will what I can to get Jacob to sleep so I can sleep.

June 5th, 2013, 07:31 PM
~Always~Hoping~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First of all I think you are doing what is right for your family and your situationa no one should tell you differently! I agree with Melissa that it might help to wean her slowly from the bottle. Keep offering it to her then allow her to finish the rest of the milk in a bottle if needed. I would just keep offering it first, so she always sees the cup first, even if she throws it down, at least she will know that this is here to stay.

I am really not helpful when it comes to sleeping because Jackson has always been a great sleeper and just goes into his crib and falls alseep by himself. Sorry!

June 5th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Veteran
Thanks for the encouraging words I think I will start putting her in her bed when she is close to sleep. Not all the way, but clearly tired. Hopefully it's not a huge fight. It probably hasn't helped that I've been moving small left over items from one house to the next, and we've been getting home around 7-7:30. Which means for that 20 minute drive she's been sleeping, and is ready to go when we get home. 7:30 is usually bath time, settle down time, lets read a story and relax time. Maybe once our schedule is more normal things will go back to easy. I can hope! Tomorrow we are going to the zoo, so I'm sure that will wear her out.

She's still up. It's 9pm here. She just had some puffs and is now making laps through the kitchen. I'm letting her go. I hope she wears herself out. Last night we had to take a drive finally at 10:30! I got her from the car to bed asleep. But she was up at 5:40 this morning. Ugh. I just get settled in a nice routine, feel like I'm actually getting sleep, and she throws me a curve ball!
June 5th, 2013, 10:31 PM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh man, the sleep issues are the worst! I bet you're right that things will settle down and become more easy once the schedule works itself out.

Like Melissa said, we did have good luck with Ferber. The first two nights were rough -- she cried for almost an hour both nights. We checked on her at the prescribed intervals and there was obviously nothing wrong (i.e. not hungry or dirty diaper or anything). She would just cry and stand up and point at the door when we came in, which is her hint that she wants to get out of the crib and play more.

After two nights, suddenly she was just fine. She would fuss for a few minutes and then go to sleep and sleep through the whole night.

We recently went through a short regression when I think she was either teething or had a minor cold. But most of the time now she goes to bed well (no crying at all) and sleeps straight for 11 hours or so. Now, that said, she doesn't nap super-well most days , maybe 30-45 minutes once or twice if I'm lucky.

I hear you about the routines. I swear, every time I have something figured out, Kira changes it up. So maybe we're due for a monkey wrench too!
June 6th, 2013, 07:05 AM
yes babies need routines and they continue to need routine as they age. My 3 year old still needs us to follow a bed time routine and we follow the same routine every night. As long as we do that he goes to bed great, most nights but when we are late getting home or get off of the routine he always seems to have trouble falling asleep.

And the late naps might be part of the problem for the past few days. Last night I laid Jacob down when I got home from work because he was so tired but I definitely regretted it later. He would not go to sleep and was hyped up until very laid. I tried to wear him down which thankfully finally happened but much later than normal. I try not to let Jacob take a late nap or if he does to only take a very short one like 15 or 20 minutes just to recharge his batteries so he can get through dinner and bath and be ready for bed around 8:00.

June 6th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Veteran
Tonight went pretty easy. She acted like she was ready for bed, then would scream bloody murder. She fell asleep on her dad on the couch. So at least it wasn't a drawn out battle. And I don't have to stay up until 11 pm tonight. After she is asleep I always have about an hours worth of things to do before I go to bed myself. Next step is getting her tired in her own bed. We will get there.
melissalaw and CarolynBB like this.
June 7th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Glad it was a bit easier tonight. I'm the same way I spend my evenings taking care of the kids so once they get in bed I always have things that need to get done. Your right you will get there.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search