Lauren's 1st Pregnancy Journal DDC October 2012!!!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree72Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC #1 Grads Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2012, 04:34 PM
LWiegel's Avatar Lauren *Expecting #1!*
Im so glad to talk to someone else whos going through this!!!!! I know its soo strange that the shortage just all of the sudden appeared. Idk what's going on with that. But i agree w you i would defintely rather not risk it. Ill see if he has any other suggestions and let you know. But I bet it'll be the same news you got. Kinda stinks for us but we just have to push ourselves!! Were double strong

Lauren's Pregnancy Journal.
March 1st, 2012, 05:10 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, please do let me know if you hear anything else! So much information about ADHD is out there about children and they seem to forget these children grow into adults and, despite what a lot of people think, you don't "grow out" of ADHD if it's true ADHD!

You're right, we do have to be extra strong to make it! My question with this is, if it's safer for the baby for the mother not to have untreated anxiety and depression, why is it different for ADHD? It's a lot of stress to have moderate to severe ADHD and not have the support of meds. I'd still rather not risk it, but I think it's a fair question.

I've talked to my doctor about the shortage and she said it's something to do with people getting the scripts and selling the medication illegally so they're trying to create this shortage to flush out those people. Totally not fair to those of us who need it! I have a script that I've been waiting to fill since the 10th! My goal this Saturday is to call every pharmacy within an hour's radius if I need to!
LWiegel likes this.

March 1st, 2012, 07:25 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
I really admire your spirit, Lauren. That must be an incredibly difficult transition. I hope that your appointment with the OB psych doctor will yield some good alternatives to medication. Hang in there! And can't wait to hear how the u/s goes.
Mrs.Paradise and LWiegel like this.

March 2nd, 2012, 04:12 AM
I have a real baby!!!!!!!!!!! Ok so DH didn't know how to work the new US enough to record a hb so i dont know the rate and he didn't know how to measure it properly so I'm going in next week when the attending is there and the Us tech that know how to work the new one better than DH lol! But with my blighted ovum I just had a gestational sac and last night we saw the yolk sac, fetal pole, and CARDIAC ACTIVITY!!!!! I cried 3 times last night I was so happy.

And I also met with the doctor. He said there are no teratogenic effects of adderal. It is a stimulant so just like other stimulants it puts baby at risk for low birth wait and intrauterine growth restriction. But the stress and anxiety coming off the meds and trying to juggle everything else is worse (I've been on them since 5th grade and now learning how to do everything without it). He said he understood me not wanting to use meds but this is how they rank the tx option for pregnant adhd women: caffeine, welbutrin, then adderall. He said of adhd women are at a high disadvantage bc of "placenta brain" and I'm on prometrium which doesn't help. He has had many pg women on adderall through out pg and have healthy normal birth weight babies. He said you just dont take it every day and start w a low dose and go higher if needed no use in taking a med if its not working. Just take it one or two days before a test to study. I am thinking of trying the caffiene first bc I have not been drinking any at all and then if that doesnt work take the adderall. I think its better than stressing so bad I have breakdowns. Also I don't have 3 tests and 2 papers due in one week until 4 weeks from now bc we get a week off in two weeks. So the most crucial time period will be over organ development wise. Regardless by the end of the pregnancy I would take a week and a halves worth of the medication which I feel ok about honestly.

March 2nd, 2012, 07:30 AM
I'm so glad you were able to see so much, especially the cardiac activity!!! You must be on

Thanks for the information! That sounds similar to what my doctor said, except she didn't mention the caffeine or Wellbutrin. She also mentioned that people were prescribed it in the 60s or 70s (I can't remember which) to prevent women from gaining too much weight while pregnant.

That sounds like a good plan! I might bring caffeine back into my diet, especially since I have such a hard time finding the Ritalin right now. I knew about caffeine acting like the stimulant medication (have definitely experienced that, but never the boost of energy that most people get! I get strange stares when I say that caffeine can put me to sleep), but did he mention how much caffeine is okay? Like still stay within the amount recommended for pregnant women I assume? That makes sense about the "placenta brain." My friends have all complained about baby brain and I figured that if they experienced forgetfulness and scatterbrained like I do without meds that I'd be in real trouble when pregnant! I didn't get far enough along with my pregnancy to really experience that. Not looking forward to it, though!

Last edited by Belita; March 2nd, 2012 at 07:34 AM.
March 2nd, 2012, 10:57 AM
So glad you saw baby and the heartbeat! It sounds like the benefits of taking Adderall may outweigh the risks to baby. I know you'll make a decision with the advice of your doctor that is best for you and baby.

March 3rd, 2012, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belita View Post
I'm so glad you were able to see so much, especially the cardiac activity!!! You must be on

Thanks for the information! That sounds similar to what my doctor said, except she didn't mention the caffeine or Wellbutrin. She also mentioned that people were prescribed it in the 60s or 70s (I can't remember which) to prevent women from gaining too much weight while pregnant.

That sounds like a good plan! I might bring caffeine back into my diet, especially since I have such a hard time finding the Ritalin right now. I knew about caffeine acting like the stimulant medication (have definitely experienced that, but never the boost of energy that most people get! I get strange stares when I say that caffeine can put me to sleep), but did he mention how much caffeine is okay? Like still stay within the amount recommended for pregnant women I assume? That makes sense about the "placenta brain." My friends have all complained about baby brain and I figured that if they experienced forgetfulness and scatterbrained like I do without meds that I'd be in real trouble when pregnant! I didn't get far enough along with my pregnancy to really experience that. Not looking forward to it, though!
He said the regular amount 2 cups or 200mg a day. Which I did that yesterday to get through work at the hospital and it worked!!!! So I may start with that and see how that does, because I wasn't going to consume any at all but I would like to try that before the medication just to see even though I am not opposed to the medication if I use it like the doctor said if not less than that.

March 3rd, 2012, 12:31 PM
Glad it worked for you! I will dwfinitely leep that in mind. I managed to find my Ritalin at the 5th store I called!

March 6th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Mrs.Paradise's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lauren I didnt know your hubby was going to be a OBGYN!!! thats awesome!! I wish my hubby did that... then I could get a u/s done whenever I wanted! lol I REALLY HOPE that this is your STICKY BEAN!!! I love having you in the Oct. ddc!!!
March 6th, 2012, 03:15 PM
6 weeks 6 days

I get my very first appointment next Thursday which will make me eight weeks!!! This is crazy because he usually doesn't see people until 10 weeks but bc I had 2 miscarriages before I got to see him last time he's going to see me early. I am sooo excited he's DH's favorite attending, he's a high risk mfm, and he treats all of his patients like queens!!! Everyone at the hospital talks about it. Im literally so excited I might cry which I've been doing a lot of lately lol!! Especially when I get excited!
Mrs.Paradise and Belita like this.

March 6th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Paradise View Post
Lauren I didnt know your hubby was going to be a OBGYN!!! thats awesome!! I wish my hubby did that... then I could get a u/s done whenever I wanted! lol I REALLY HOPE that this is your STICKY BEAN!!! I love having you in the Oct. ddc!!!
Awe thanks!! I love that we get to share this with each other! Yea it's pretty awesome that's his career. I can't wait to take a pic of us in our matching hospital scrubs with my big preggers belly!! Lol
Mrs.Paradise and Belita like this.

March 6th, 2012, 04:37 PM
awwwwwwwwwwww!!! soooooooooo cute!!! I can picture that perfectly!!!

and YAY for a good OBGYN!!! sounds like you found a keeper!!! and YAY to seeing your baby next week!!!
March 6th, 2012, 06:24 PM
He's actually in his first year of residency so in july he'll have 3to more years until he's an official obgyn but he's doing great so far and provides a lot of info and is super understanding and sweet about everything bc he's around it all the time!!
Mrs.Paradise likes this.

March 7th, 2012, 11:23 AM
thats GREAT! Im glad your hubby can understand what you are going through!
March 7th, 2012, 08:39 PM
I guess I'm going to have to give that caffeine trick a try! Glad I finally hunted down that Ritalin and got to take it for 5 days... Let's survive Pregnancy after loss while off meds together!!

March 8th, 2012, 06:05 AM
7 weeks 1 day

So nothing really new going on. My morning sickness (knock on wood) seems to have gotten tired of me and disappeared... Please stay away!! Also I am going to have to get a new bra already!!! This is ridiculous even my sports bras don't fit!! I already had DDs and now they won't stop...I'm kinda scared lol!! This is not going to end pretty...

March 8th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWiegel View Post
7 weeks 1 day

So nothing really new going on. My morning sickness (knock on wood) seems to have gotten tired of me and disappeared... Please stay away!! Also I am going to have to get a new bra already!!! This is ridiculous even my sports bras don't fit!! I already had DDs and now they won't stop...I'm kinda scared lol!! This is not going to end pretty...
Glad you're feeling better and hope it stays that way.

My BBs grew a cup size by the 8th week, and they have continued to grow. I was a large B before pregnancy, and I imagine I'll be a D by the time I'm done. Then forget about what they'll look like when I'm breastfeeding!
LWiegel likes this.

March 8th, 2012, 11:25 AM
My best friend was a DD. She's 18 weeks and had to buy a F! Just think of all the nourishment you'll be giving your LO!
LWiegel likes this.

March 9th, 2012, 05:16 AM
Hahahaha Adrienne that's so awesome that's what she keeps saying bc I really want to breastfeed.
Robyn that's so funny about the nutrients!! And he/she better love breastfeeding to make these suckers worth it lol
Belita likes this.

March 11th, 2012, 06:42 PM
7 weeks 4 days

Well DH started his night float rotation. For 5 weeks he works from 5 pm to 5 am Sun-Thurs so I am on my own!!! I cna't sleep very will without him and it is so lonely! At least it is only 5 weeks but it feels like forever to me. The good thing thought is that he can actually make it to our first appointment this Thursday!! So YAY for that! It is so strange to me how my morning sickness just all the sudden left!! I mean don't get me wrong I'm not complaining!! I do get slightly nauseous but if I eat I am fine. I do still have food adversions like honey mustard, salad (which I usually LOVE), and especially eggs!!

I am also wondering when I should tell my work. I know people typically wait until the first trimester is over but the job I have right now I do heavy lifting (people at dead weight) and I am in and out of isolation rooms with patients that have many different infectious diseases. But I also want to get hired on this floor when I graduate in May and I am starting to worry they won't hire me pg although I know that is unlikely but I still worry. I am going to have to tell them before they would hire me anyways considering I will DEF be showing by then lol!! Idk so confused ugh. But on a better note I told my sister today and she is sooooo excited. I was so nervous to tell her bc she is usually not so warm, fuzzy type of personality and was so happy she was so excited. Micah and I are going to tell our parents this coming weekend too. I am so excited. Well, had a lot going on these past couple days!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search