Crystal's Baby Emmalyn Journal :)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree155Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC #1 Grads Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
on telling people!!!

April 30th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Crystallee's Avatar Host of the Dec 2012 PR
Thanks! P.S. whoever invented whole wheat saltines is my bestest friend for life. along with karin and lemon icecubes. lol
kbpeanut likes this.

Thanks kiliki for my siggie!
May 1st, 2012, 06:20 AM
Now that I got some rest, I figured I would post some stuff that confused me about my appointment. My nurse asked me if I wanted a bunch of tests and I had no clue what to say. First off, she asked me if I wanted a cystic fibrosis test and I said ummm well probably not. But I don't even know what this entails, nor have I heard of it. I asked her about the NT scan as that is the only thing I knew anything about and she said to talk to the doctor but typically you have to drive over to the big hospital that is over an hour away so I don't know if I want it now. I didn't think this was very complicated so it confused me. I also thought the nt scan went along with some bloodwork earlier on, and then repeated until like 18 weeks or something. She said it was just one draw at 18 weeks so I am rather confused. I am hoping at my next appt on the 14th we will talk more about this kind of stuff. She also asked me about routine stuff like did I want an hiv test and all that jazz but I was just confused that she didn't seem to explain things to me or why I would want them or not want them. After my next appointment, my doc said we would establish all my future appointments and sort out all the testing dates and scans and such so hopefully everything will be discussed more then.

May 1st, 2012, 07:23 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
The HIV testing is usually part of the pregnancy panel of blood work, but I think most OB offices specifically ask you if you want to include it. With my first pregnancy, I was with a different doctor. She just ordered the full pregnancy panel (HIV included), and didn't say anything until the results came in. With this OB, she specifically asked me, and I declined because I had just had it done a couple of months before. It seemed like a waste, as did some of the other stuff she included in the panel since I'd just done it all. I think they ask you just so you won't feel offended that they include it in the blood work. It is part of the standard panel though.

I declined the cystic fibrosis test, only because it's something my insurance doesn't cover. Both parents have to be carriers of the gene in order for the baby to get it. Since it's never occurred in my family or DH's family, I just declined the test. You might ask your DH if there's a history in his family, and then make your decision from there.

The NT screening can be anywhere from a one-pronged to a three-pronged tests. My OB office offered me these three options, and I chose to go with the full sequential testing, which includes blood work at 10-12 weeks, NT scan at 11-13 weeks, and blood work at 15-18 weeks (I think that's the time frame). Your doctor's office might just do things differently.

You just have to go with your gut on whether you want to do the NT screening or not. And definitely talk to your doctor about it at the next appointment. It's really weird that the nurse just asked you all those questions without providing any information.

May 1st, 2012, 07:49 AM
I agree with Adrienne. I think it's weird that the nurse didn't offer any explanation. My doctor handed me pamphlets that explained everything and said for us to read through them together. This testing is offered to everyone but it's optional.

I also had the HIV test as part of the pregnancy panel. My doctor never told me the results, but it was well over a month ago, so I'm assuming it all came back fine.

May 1st, 2012, 10:24 AM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was asked if I wanted the HIV test with the rest of my b/w and said yes just because I was already getting stuck for a bunch of stuff. If asked in the future I'll decline since DH and I are the only ones sleeping with each other

As for the NT scan, I got mine done at 12 weeks, which included the ultrasound and the bloodwork on the same day. I went back around 16 weeks to get the second set of bloodwork. They never said anything to me about only getting 1 set of bloodwork, but they did mention that the second set was more definitive.

As for CF, the OB nurse only ever asked if any of my family members had it, and since it hasn't been on either side of our family, she didn't ask if we wanted testing done (which I would have declined anyway).

I believe that with the 20 week anatomy scan they can still tell if the baby looks like he/she is at risk for DS or the other abnormalities they check for on the NT scan. I know when I just had my 20 week scan done the doctor said they were able to rule out MOST (but not all) birth defects just based on what they checked that day.

May 1st, 2012, 05:53 PM
Well I just laughed until I almost wet myself. One of my cousins asked me if we had picked baby names and my phone changed Aubree into subterranean. No stupid auto correct, we will not be naming our child subterranean. My cousin said we could call it subby for short. heeeeeeheeee. It was hysterical.
kbpeanut, Mom2JDub and Belita like this.

May 1st, 2012, 07:18 PM
You just made me LOL, and DH too.

May 2nd, 2012, 07:21 PM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
to Karin! I can't wait for more updates!!!

Forever missing my angel 2010

May 3rd, 2012, 05:05 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
May 3rd, 2012, 05:26 PM
Hiiiii Karin. I will try to post an update later or something. I'm super duper tired today and have a test I need to take and I have to make some food for a party tomorrow so blah.

May 4th, 2012, 06:25 AM
Just had my first baby dream where I was super clear on the gender. All girl lol. Super cute too!
Mom2JDub and Jen@FirsAve like this.

May 4th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Kind of a cruddy day today. Started off good even though I was pretty queasy. We had an early cinco de mayo( we called it quatro de mayo) with family and part way through it, Joe's friend called and said he had been having trouble getting a hold of Joe all day, and was worried. Then I got super worried and called a bunch of times with no response so I flew home in a panic and he was napping. I pretty much cried the entire way home. Emotions are heightened for sure but I was just so worried. Kind of ruined my night.

May 4th, 2012, 10:58 PM
Sorry for the rough night, but glad Joe is just fine.

May 5th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Thanks. It was kind of silly to think about later but at the time, I was pretty frantic.

May 5th, 2012, 07:12 PM
I've had moments like that, too. Glad he's ok!

May 9th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Sorry I haven't really been around. I have been pretty tired and ill but I'm hanging in there. I had finals this week so now that that is over, I'll be around more probably. Miss everybody. I'll probably catch up on sleep and then get back in the swing of things. Appt is still on the 14th so on monday. Excited to see bubs again and joe gets to go! I will also be tantrum demanding an ultrasound picture. lol

May 9th, 2012, 06:02 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Yay for monday and glad finals are over too. I've got a few more weeks, then I'll be in finals h*ll too. I really hope they do ultrasound on Monday!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
May 9th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Congrats on getting through finals. Hope you're able to get some rest now and start feeling better.

May 9th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Glad you got though finals! I hope you catch up on sleep soon and can't wait for ultrasound photos on Monday!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search