Julie's first little peanut!!!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree17Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC #1 Grads Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 18th, 2013, 04:26 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Glad you had an uneventful travel experience!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
March 18th, 2013, 05:51 PM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
I'm sorry for your loss

I'm glad your travels went smoothly and hope your travels home go just as smooth!

How cute, Ember got to enjoy her first snow!

Forever missing my angel 2010

March 26th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Glad Ember did so well with traveling. I have heard from friends that it's WAY easier to travel with a newborn than an older infant or toddler. It does make sense. How awesome that she saw her first snow too.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
April 2nd, 2013, 08:04 AM
Expecting #1
13 weeks 3 days

I havent been around much lately. Tried to spend as much time as possible with Ember before I went back to work. I went back on March 25th and it was ROUGH! Those first few mornings were bad, I was a wreck! Ember seemed to do just fine though. After we dropped her off, when I saw her at lunch and picked her up for the day she seemd very content. She naps pretty well and has been going to bed earlier all on her own. We have been trying to move her bedtime earlier for a few weeks, but she went from getting to sleep at 11-1230 to going to bed at 9-10 with no problems and she is sleeping until 8. We wake her in the mornings. She even went to bed at 8 twice, but then she woke up at 2 both times, but went back to bed. So we keep her up until 9 and then I get to play with her and love on her longer. Now I wish she would stay awake longer!

Our travels back to FL went great. Ember was a really easy traveler. We are planning a trip to Chicago now. She didnt get sick from traveling or from being around all the people up there who were just sick. We were very thankful! So far no symptoms of being sick from daycare either, but I am sure it will come soon. I am hoping the flu/cold season has passed, we do live in Florida so for the most part it has.

Ember is getting so strong. She sits on the couch and sits straight up. She also pushes herself to standing when she is sitting down, I just hold her hands to steady her, but its all her pushing up. She wants to crawl SO bad! When we put her on her belly she does all the crawling motions, but hasnt quite figured out to get up on her knees, but she gets up on her arms really high. It will probably be a while until she is crawling, but its amazing to see how much she has developed.

We got our first giggles, which were amazing! She was smiling and squealing/squeaking a lot, but now she gets the giggle going. It just melts my heart. She is grabbing a lot now, she loves her crinkly book and loves my hair and necklaces. Even though Ember is most likely developing right on track, it just seems like she is way ahead of schedule because it seems like just yesterday I had her and I am amazed she is doing all of the things she is doing now. Its just such an amazing feeling to know this little being is something I grew inside me and she is developing so well and seems so smart. I am so proud of her and the great work I did **pats self on back**

Ember is doing better at BFiing, but still just not draining me. Last night she did great with it though. She nursed when we got home and then she hung out with us for 1.5 hours until she started looking hungry. She usually wants more after nursing but sometimes waits 20 minutes. After the 20 minutes passed, I pumped and barely got any milk and I usually get 2-3 ounces at my 6-7PM pumping after she nurses and I got less than 1 oz. So that is a great sign that Ember is getting better.

Pumping at work is going well. From morning until I get home I get about 18-20 oz and then at night I get about 4-6 oz. So we have been giving Ember a little formula at night if she wants it. Its either her 6pm or 8pm feeding, but the rest is breastmilk. I've started to produce more these last few days, so I think its because she has been draining my breast and then I have been pumping so more milk has been expressed over the last few days than I was doing before and nothing changed other than I think Ember is just nursing better. I only nurse her 2-3 times a day though, only at night after we get home. The rest of the time she gets a bottle of expressed milk or the one formula bottle we have to do. I am hoping in the next week or two, I wont have to supplement once my supply increases.

Ember is 12 lbs 10oz. as of two nights ago, so she is gaining well. We dont go back to the doctor until May 3rd for her 4 month check up. Wow, I cant believe I have her 4 month appointment scheduled already. Time flies too quickly! Okay, I have been rambling on and I have to get back to work. Hope everyone had a great Easter!

April 8th, 2013, 05:21 PM
That's great Ember was such a great traveler and didn't get sick at all. I hope your. Ext travel goes just as smoothly.

Baby giggles....how fun!!! Ember has gotten big and don't worry she will be drawing before you know it!

April 8th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She's so strong! Sean has only been doing that stuff recently!

Baby giggles are the best.

April 9th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Expecting #1
14 weeks 3 days

So Ember was in daycare for almost 2 weeks and just got her first little cold from day care and of course I got sick and so did DH. She has this super cute raspyness to her whine. Its sad, but cute at the same time. She has the sniffles a little bit and I can tell she has been congested because of the raspyness. Other than her sleeping a little longer during her daytime naps, all else is normal. So she is such a trouper. I am feeling a lot better after 3 days and DH is just starting to show his symptoms. So it was only a quick little cold so far.

I did notice one difference right before Ember started showing any symptoms. She depised her paci. She has only taken it when she is ready for bed and is tired, but last week the second she realized it was the paci and not me or a bottle, she screamed. I thought she was just tired and being overly fussy for bed and refusing her paci. Well that happened two nights in a row and I just rocked her to sleep instead of getting her drowsy and setting her down with her paci in her mouth. After the second night, we just put her down sans paci and it was a breeze. After a few days I tried the paci again, but she just isnt interested anymore and only takes it occassionally. I tink she had a sore throat before and now just doesnt want her paci anymore. At bed time, we just give her the bunny lovey she has and she grabs at it with her one unswaddled arm and falls right to sleep. She has a moose one at daycare and they give that to her at naptime and still try the paci.

Ember also loves to grab her burp cloths. I will put a burp cloth on my shoulder to burp her and she grabs at it and puts it in her mouth. When I go to put her to down to change her diaper or get her dressed in the morning she just holds onto it and chews on it and smiles. Its the most adorable thing.

Ember has been more giggly and smilely lately. I will be walking around talking to her and she will let out a loud giggle or squeal and the put her face in my shoulder and then look back up. She is just the cutest thing! We made an impromptu trip to the beach this weekend. We decided to drive down and walk along the beach. Of course, I didnt have my jogging stroller and just had the snap and go, but it worked fine and Ember slept for most of the walk. When she got up we let her put her feet in the sand and water and she was very amused.

I have started the research of stuff to get for a trip to the beach or pool. We have her outfit all bought with her hat and cover up and all, but we are looking at some pop up tent/sun shelter. I am looking for something so I can nurse in it and be kept in the shade with Ember and have some privacy. We also need to get one of those floats with a sun canopy for pool days. I started some research on swim diapers and think we are going to go with CD for swim time. Swim disposables arent the greatest and you go through them every 30 minutes so a good CD will probably be money well spent. So does anyone has suggestions for swim diapers, sun shelters and a float?

Being back at work has been difficult, but we are getting into a good groove. I still visit Ember at lunch. I usually play with her for a bit and put her down for a nap. So its a nice break to my day. I feel like I am the bag lady in the morning though. Getting Ember's bag, cooler bag with bottles for daycare, my lunch bag, my pump, my little purse (really its just a wrist wallet that I attach my keys to) and then I will usually carry Dh's lunch and gym bag while DH brings Ember out to the car. We carpool since we live about 2.5 miles from work and we work in buildings next to each other. Ember's school is on they way to work.

I talked to Ember's daycare about me coming over to nurse, but I know my daughter and when she is hungry, she is HUNGRY! I don't want her to have to wait for me and her get all upset and then her teachers will have to deal with that and who knows with my schedule, I can't always leave when I plan, so it would probably be better for all involved for me to just come over and play than to try to schedule a nursing in there. Ember is doing a lot better at nursing and is much quicker so we are still making great progress. Over the last week, I have been wanting to pump her full of breastmilk in the hopes it will speed her recovery of her little cold and my supply was able to accomodate that. We havent needed formula in almost a week. I hope this keeps up though. I did just buy new breast shields, pumping pal shields, and I think they helped too.

I should be getting my pump through my insurance shortly. Its a lansinoh affinity. I figure I can leave a pump at work and one at home so I dont have to lug an extra bag to and from work everyday. I will have to see how effective it is compared to my medela though.

Well I hope everyone is having a great week!

April 9th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Such great updates! Sounds like Ember is doing awesome.

I recently bought a swim diaper for Jack too. I did read a lot of reviews on Amazon and Target, and I decided to get Charlie Banana. They have some cute prints, and Target was less expensive than Amazon - Charlie Banana Reusable Swim Diaper & Training P... : Target

Sorry Ember caught a cold. I hope it will be her only one! When Jack started daycare, his lead teacher said that kids usually get the sniffles on their second week. Jack just got his early.

April 17th, 2013, 07:00 PM
I bet it is hard being back at work but it sounds like Ember is doing good with the exception of a cold . It's great you get to visit her on her lunch hour.

April 26th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Expecting #1
17 weeks

I can't believe Ember is going to be 4 months old this weekend! Time is flying! I really wanted to get professional shots done at 4 months, but we are going to wait until 6 months for those. I will try to do a little mini shoot at home though. I am very glad her 4 month birthday is this weekend so I will have more time for pictures.

Things are going well being back at work. I have cut out the lunch visits from everyday to 1-2 times a week. I have been swamped at work, so I really needed to cut out the visits. I dont work late right now, so its what I have to do so I can leave right at 5. Pumping at work has been going well. I am getting into a good routine, timing wise. I am still having supply issues, but Ember is still getting 24 oz of breastmilk everyday (from a bottle) and sometimes we have to give her a bottle of formula at night. I pump first thing after getting out of the shower and if Ember didnt get up to nurse at 4-5, I get about 9-12 oz. I get about 8-10 oz during the day, but I have seen that increase lately. Then I will get another 4-6 oz when I get home.

Nursing is getting SO much better. I try to squeeze in a nursing session in the morning, but since Ember is still such a LONG nurser the bottle is easiest thing for us. I have been trying to nurse for strictly 20 minutes then give her the bottle and I know she is pretty full after that since she has been napping pretty good right after we drop her off. I nurse her when I come home and I still pump after each nursing session.

There has been a few nights where my 930pm-8Am sleeper has been getting up in the 4-5AM range. Sometimes I can get her back to sleep within 5 minutes, but once she cries I grab her and nurse her in bed. She has been draining me pretty good and quick, but then will comfort nurse for next hour or so and wont drain the other side. I joke with my DH that when Ember finally figures out the nursing thing, it will be time to wean her.

Ember is getting stronger everyday. She can sit up by herself, when she is in the mood, and won't tip for about 30 seconds. She is grabbing at everything and loves mommy's hair and the base of my head. She grabs at my little dog's hair and he doesnt seem to mind. She tries to grab at my great dane's hair, but her hair is too short, so she grabs the ear. Sadie doesnt mind at all and actually comes over now and sticks her head in the area for Ember to grab at. I think the pups have been slightly neglected for the past 4 months so now they are getting any attention they can, even if it means a baby pulling and grabbing them.

Ember's godparents are coming into town next week for a visit. My sister is a godparent since she is Catholic, but our friends who aren't Catholic will also be her godparents so Ember will have three godparents. Our friends havent met her yet other then Skype so it will be fun! We are doing the baptism this summer, so they will get two visits this summer. Her godparents, who are also her legal guardians in our will, tried to get pregnant for over 5 years. After the last attempt at IVF which actually resulted in a pregnancy and eventual miscarriage, they decided they were going to stop trying. Its really sad, they would be amazing parents.

Ember is still in 0-3 months clothes, but they pants are getting short so we have started to put her in a few 3-6 months outfits. I am trying to put her in all the long sleeved stuff, because soon we wont be able to because it will be too hot. It will be cool inside because of AC, so I am sure we will get use out of the long sleeves. Her footed sleepers still fit, but we don't use those much. Ember is my little furnace. She gets so hot and sweaty, even though its really cool in the house. So sometimes we just keep her in her diaper and then swaddle her up. One of her arms is out of the swaddle and she cuddles with her bunny lovey and that covers her arm up a little.

Ember goes in her for her 4 month well visit next Friday and gets her shots. Last time, she was a little sleepy, but nothing too out of the ordinary. I hope she is mellow afterward since her godparents will be in town. I am going to discuss solids at the visit. I want to wait until Ember is closer to 6 months, but I want to discuss BLW and making homemade baby food. I think Ember is already interested in what we are eating and I dont think she will be hard when it comes to food, even her teachers at daycare said this. Girl loves her food! My goal of introducing solids will be more of exploration of what she likes and fun, but I still want her to get all/most of her food from milk. So I am going to be interested in what her Pedi says.

We booked our flights up to Chicago for memorial day weekend. This time we will have to bring our carseat, so we will also bring one of the strollers. Not sure if we will bring the snap and go or the jogging stroller. DH is dreading this flight since he isnt looking forward to lugging the gear. It will take extra time to get through security and to get on the plane, but im not worried about it. My parents and grandma havent met Ember yet, so I am really excited for them to meet her.

We are getting on a great schedule with Ember now that we have been in the swing of these for a month. Ember doesnt get fussy between 4-6 like she used to. She makes this whine noise when she is tired so I put her down for her 630/7pm 30 minutes power nap and then she is all smiles and giggles until her bedtime at 930. Its been pretty easy getting her to sleep lately too. I think sticking to our schedule has really helped and she goes down pretty easy. We were going to move her to her crib around now, but I think we are going to wait another month or so. She is still sleeping next to the bed and that is working for all of us so we won't fix it since it isnt broken

Well I think this was a long update on most everything that is going on. Hope everyone else is doing well! Happy Friday!

Last edited by Jules_loves_beaches; April 26th, 2013 at 12:13 PM.
April 26th, 2013, 10:00 AM
I'm glad things are going pretty smoothly with pumping at work and just getting into a good routine. Since Jack has been with SIL and not at the daycare on my campus, I've definitely missed my daily visits. However, everything felt so sporadic at that time, like I couldn't dive into a project very effectively and everything was so broken up. So I definitely know what you mean.

I hope Ember's four-month appointment and shots go well. Your approach to food sounds about like ours. I think purees versus BLW really depends on the baby. Jack took such an interest in our food from an early age, but he didn't know what to do with it once it was in his mouth. Purees worked best for us at first. Now I will give him little pieces of food, and he will swallow them. In helping him to work on his pincer grasp, the puffs (you can find organic) really helped, as did the mesh feeder.

I'm a big proponent of waiting until 6 months, especially in light of the CDC's and American Pediatric Association's newest studies - http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/25/he...inds.html?_r=0. Even if I had wanted to feed Jack sooner, he wasn't much into swallowing, though he really loved exploring.

April 26th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Sounds like things are going well. Ember is just absolutely gorgeous!

Sounds like a good approach to solids. We started last week (2 weeks early) since he showed he was ready when eating a breast milk popsicle. But I find that purées work best right now. I let him try a puff and he choked a little on it. He swallowed it and was okay since they dissolve, but I like the silicone feeder better for soft foods. That's how I gave him banana and avocado. Just an FYI, I preferred a silicone feeder to the mesh feeder. The mesh feeder is easier to get the food into, but Sean has an easier time eating with the silicone one because the mesh is bigger than gets to be loose fabric and it becomes harder for him to eat from the more he eats.

April 26th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Expecting #1
Good to know. I didnt even know I needed to get feeders. I just thought bowls and spoons would be enough. Shows I have a lot to research. Good thing a have a few months.

April 29th, 2013, 07:59 PM
You don't have to but we like it. :-)

May 1st, 2013, 03:56 PM
I agree... not necessary but it's kind of nice to have one. We like the silicone feeder too. This is the one we have - Amazon.com: [Award winning] Kidsme Food Feeder (Small size): Baby

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search