Karin & Scooter's Journal - BIRTH STORY (FINALLY!)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree430Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC #1 Grads Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 31st, 2012, 04:21 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's the same activity gym I put on my registry for Sean! Those mats are pretty thin, so depending on your floors you may still want something under it.

I kind of wish I'd gotten a rocking bassinet. I'm not sure if I want a rocking one bad enough to exchange the one I have, though.

August 31st, 2012, 06:06 PM
I forgot about Sophie the Giraffe!!! Vulli Sophie the Giraffe Teether - Vulli - Toys "R" Us I had never heard of it before but everyone raves about this product as a teether and say that their babies like to still use it even after the teething stage!

August 31st, 2012, 06:15 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Oh don't you worry, we will be getting Sophie! My niece has one (and so does every other baby I know), and they all LOVE them!

Thanks to both of you for all the great tips!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
August 31st, 2012, 09:27 PM
Speaking of Aden + Anais, check out tonight's Baby Steal! I bought 2.

September 3rd, 2012, 10:52 AM
Nicholle ttc's Avatar TTC our first!
Hey Karin, haven't read an update for awhile, is everything okay? I'm sure that you're probably just enjoying the holiday weekend, but I always worry when I don't see a post from someone in awhile when they are typically an avid poster.

Natural cycles-August 2011-July 2012
August 2012-October 2012 clomid and progesterone
November 2012-IUI
December 2012, cysts from IUI, on bcp

January 2013-February 2013, long protocol IVF
15 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized with ICSI
All 7 made it to 5 day transfer, 2 were transferred
Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

May 10, 2013, lap sx, Stage 1 endo

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

FET tentatively scheduled for 10/31/13

Have never seen a bfp.

September 3rd, 2012, 11:56 AM
Karin just liked a belly pic photo of mine on FB, so I'm sure she's just taking her typical weekend off, and that includes today since it's a long weekend.

September 3rd, 2012, 12:00 PM
So sorry! I'm totally fine...great even...just busy enjoying the long weekend!

19w0d - Love Long Weekends
I will update properly tomorrow, but didn't want anyone to think anything bad was going on. We have been busy bees all weekend, doing this and that around the house and out. We've had some nice date nights, and gotten a lot of life stuff (bills and yuck) done. DH also took me maternity clothes shopping yesterday! It was so cute. I went to the Pea in a Pod store to get a couple tank tops and tshirts, nothing special. We walked out with a bagful of adorable tops that DH "made" me get. He was so excited to see me happy. One of his favorite shirts I tried on, when I walked out of the dressing room, his jaw dropped open and his eyes immediately got all watery. He said "I'm all misty, you are so beautiful when you are pregnant!" He cried a little, and it was so sweet. So, I got some nice new clothes (THAT FIT)! Doesn't hurt that PP was having a "bump bucks" sale! For every X we spent we got $70 in "bump bucks" - which is basically free money to spend at that store by the end of October. So now, I have $140 in "bump bucks"! So awesome!

So, that's about it. This morning, we are doing more bills and paperwork, then headed out to look at cribs, carseats, and strollers! DH looked through my list of cribs and "yay" and "nay'ed" them all. We totally have the same taste. Now we are going to start looking at them for stability/durability in person. We are hitting 2 stores today, and one tomorrow afternoon, since it's a specialty store that is up north a bit. Ironically, it's in the same small town as our repeat L2 u/s tomorrow afternoon.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!
x

September 3rd, 2012, 12:03 PM
sweet.hun's Avatar We're Complete <3
Awww, I got a little teary eyed just reading your update! It's so cute that your hubby wanted to buy you a bunch of maternity clothes!!! Good luck with the crib shopping, there are so many choices it's crazy.

Always missing my 3 angels. 2/9/06, 3/12/11, 5/22/12
September 3rd, 2012, 01:17 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Just so sweet.

September 3rd, 2012, 01:53 PM
Pat sounds sooooo sweet.

I hope you're having fun looking at baby stuff!

September 3rd, 2012, 05:51 PM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok, so first of all we wanted to find out our risk of DS so we could educate ourselves about raising a special needs child. As it turned out we do have a child with special needs, just not DS. It's a scary, scary thing to find out that something is wrong with your child. It's normal to feel scared, hurt, disappointed or even mad. I had a really hard time with Joseph's diagnosis, as you know, but as you, and so many other wonderful friends said, special babies are given to special people. If it turns out Scooter has DS I can't imagine two better parents for him. You guys are so amazingly accepting and brave that your child will have just as fantastic a life as any other child could. However, as everyone else said, I doubt you hav anything to worry about. Our age makes such a big difference in these things and I think it's silly. It causes undo worry for SO many parents!

Now, for baby gear...

YES, you want a wipe warmer! Ask DH how his boy parts feel when he goes into really cold water...why would you want to slap a freezing cold wet cloth on babies boy parts?? Joseph jumps so bad when we change his diapers on the go because it's cold wipes.

You want a lightweight seat that you can easily move from room to room. We got the fisher price snugabunny vibrating seat and it's been a lifesaver! Perfect for bringing into the bathroom for when you need to shower and such.

Speaking of, you want a vibrating seat over a bouncy seat, at least at first. They are too little to bounce themselves at first, but the vibration helps soothe them and helps with tummy aches.

Medications...diaper rash meds, little tummies gripe water (safe for newborns) and gas drops. Odds are you'll need at least one of these in the first couple of weeks as baby adjusts to eating.

A very low watt lightbulb for a lamp in baby's room. Less light is better so they don't get woken up too much during diaper changes.

Old fashioned cloth diapers make the best burp cloths! BUY A LOT.

We had zero intention of Joseph sleeping in our room, but due to extenuating circumstances he slept in there for the first couple of weeks. Buy a pack n play with a bassinet or something small for your room.

An angel care monitor. The ONLY way we ever slept once he was in his own room. We are dorks and worry warts so we also bought a video monitor. (They didn't have the angel care with video yet.)

Clothes and lots of them! Baby boys like to pee pee out of their diapers a lot. We went through a new outfit for every diaper change.

Sleeps sacks were a joke for us. He was too small for them at first (huge gaps around the arms and neck, even with the newborn size) and then they messed him up because he was a squirmer.

Another wasted thing was the My Brest Friend. Pillows and the boppy worked better.

Special things like the sleep sheep and stuff never got used. Just buy a small CD player and some CD's. Music was so much more soothing for Joseph than "sounds".

Now, for the most important part. You guys. Be prepared ahead of time with meals already made, lots of drinks on hand, tons of snacks and a list of places that deliver.

If you breastfeed you will be mega hungry, mega thirsty or both as soon as baby starts to nurse. Get a really big cup with a straw to keep water in and something like a granola bar nearby. For me I also got mega sleepy each time he nursed, so get comfy. Pregnancy cravings don't go away immediately. That's why I said to have a list of places that deliver. If you get a craving at the same time as a hormone fluctuation, hell and high water isn't going to stop you from getting what you want to eat. Nursing does just as many weird things to you as pregnancy.
Mom2JDub likes this.

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
September 3rd, 2012, 06:55 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSouthMommy View Post
If you breastfeed you will be mega hungry, mega thirsty or both as soon as baby starts to nurse. Get a really big cup with a straw to keep water in and something like a granola bar nearby. For me I also got mega sleepy each time he nursed, so get comfy. Pregnancy cravings don't go away immediately. That's why I said to have a list of places that deliver. If you get a craving at the same time as a hormone fluctuation, hell and high water isn't going to stop you from getting what you want to eat. Nursing does just as many weird things to you as pregnancy.
Oh, yes, I don't go to bed without water, a granola bar, and crackers on my nightstand. I get so hungry during those middle of the night feedings.

September 3rd, 2012, 08:04 PM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You BTDT moms are the best :-D

September 3rd, 2012, 09:52 PM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniM0820 View Post
You BTDT moms are the best :-D
Thanks! If you or anyone else has any questions, wants my take on things or whatever, please feel free to PM me! Like Karin said, all babies are different, but it does help to get information and opinions from others. We've unfortunately been through a lot in the 7.5 months since Joseph was born, but that also means I've learned a lot as well. I'm always happy to help out when it comes to babies and new mommy stuff!

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
September 4th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Expecting #1
Hope everything goes well at your appointment today. I love your positive attitude and whether or not your LO has DS, you and your DH will be awesome parents to a perfect baby!

Can't wait to see what you decide on for your crib and hear how the shopping went.

September 4th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Michelle - you rule!
DeepSouthMommy likes this.

September 4th, 2012, 10:57 AM
19w1d - TIRED.
What a great weekend! We had so much fun, and got so much done! We did a bunch of catching up on bills, life stuff, around the house stuff...and then the shopping! We did a lot of crib, stroller, car seat, baby stuff shopping yesterday too. I think we have a good idea of which crib we like, but we are going to one more boutique this afternoon that carries a brand I want to see in person before we decide. We aren't sold on a changing table yet, so we shall see. We also decided on a travel system and carseat! So much fun, and DH actually enjoyed himself!

Last night, I woke up about 2:50am to pee. When I laid back down, I was wide awake! Not abnormal, so I just laid there for a bit to fall back asleep. Next time I looked at my watch (still awake), it was 4:03am. Grrr. I played on my phone for a bit, until about 430, then tried to sleep again. I looked at my watch again at 515a, and was about to just get up and do stuff, but I must have fallen back asleep shortly thereafter. DH alarm went off at 6. Needless to say, I'm really tired today.

I got up with DH, and got showered. The maids come today, and I need to leave the house by 1 for my appt, so needed to make sure I was showered and such before they got to cleaning. I am doing some laundry now, had my breakfast, and going to continue making my registry list.

Today is our repeat L2 ultrasound to check for any markers for Downs. We also have a return appointment with the genetic counselor. As time has passed since we got our test results, I have felt better and better. We had the routine OB appointment on Friday, and even she wasn't concerned, especially since I had the Sequenom (MaterniT21) test that is 99% accurate and that came back negative. Plus, she reminded me that I had a L2 ultrasound at 17 weeks and everything looked fine then, measurement wise. So, we are feeling good about this. As far as we're concerned, today is just another peek at Scooter!

Plus, added bonus that I needed to drive to a different office for today's appt (to make sure I got it done within the time frame so the State covers it), and it just happens to be in a different town about 30 minutes north...where that special baby boutique is also located! So, after our appt, we will go look at more baby stuff!

Other than that, nothing much new. I am just trying to get through the next few hours without falling asleep, then I'll be ok!

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend! x

September 4th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Nicholle ttc's Avatar TTC our first!
Good luck at your appointment today, I'm sure you won't need it though!

Natural cycles-August 2011-July 2012
August 2012-October 2012 clomid and progesterone
November 2012-IUI
December 2012, cysts from IUI, on bcp

January 2013-February 2013, long protocol IVF
15 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized with ICSI
All 7 made it to 5 day transfer, 2 were transferred
Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

May 10, 2013, lap sx, Stage 1 endo

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

FET tentatively scheduled for 10/31/13

Have never seen a bfp.

September 4th, 2012, 06:04 PM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
I'm glad you enjoyed your holiday weekend! How fun shopping for maternity clothes, so sweet of DH to take you. I hope your appointment went good today.

Forever missing my angel 2010

September 4th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Crystallee's Avatar Host of the Dec 2012 PR
Appt update?

Thanks kiliki for my siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search