Karin & Scooter's Journal - BIRTH STORY (FINALLY!)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree430Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC #1 Grads Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 7th, 2012, 06:09 AM
Expecting #1
Diapers.com, which was recently bought by Amazon, has the best daily deals from my "research". They give free 2 day shipping and the cost of the box is cheaper(about $10 cheaper compared to BRU prices), but I dont think you can use manufacturer coupons (I havent tried yet). When BRU does deals like the $25 or $35, the cost of the diapers/wipes are more expensive, but then you get a gift card to go back and get other products from BRU. From my experience, the GC you get isnt good for 6 hours though so you will have to make another trip to BRU to use the GC.

Happy Diaper shopping!!!

December 7th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Good point. If you have Amazon Prime/Mom, though, that's definitely cheaper than Diapers.com, and it's also free 2-day shipping. If you don't have it, Diapers.com is generally the way to go. Sometimes BRU has the $25 off without a gift card, just a flat out $25 off. It just depends on the deal.

I've shopped around a lot and always feel happy spending the lowest possible cost per diaper!

I'm also not advocating for BRU at all, because I have come to loathe them. However, if you use the VIB, you get 10% cash back. So with deals like the one they're having today, it's a couple cents per diaper cheaper (and that adds up on a box of 200 diapers) than just about anywhere else... if you don't mind going back to BRU to use that $35 gift card.

Last edited by Mom2JDub; December 7th, 2012 at 09:21 AM.
December 7th, 2012, 09:26 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Which pretty much means, with the extra gift card = a free box of diapers

I will be going today! But yes, I also loathe BRU. I don't mind going for necessities if I have free $$ to spend (we still have a few gift cards from our shower to use)...but I will just load those $$ onto my VIB card and get the diaps and wipes. So far, Target has the cheapest diapers around for brick-n-mortar stores, about $5 a box cheaper than BRU/BBB. But for online shopping, Amazon is best, especially with free 2-day Prime shipping AND using the subscribe and save option!
blueeyes25s likes this.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
December 7th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Yep, and Amazon sometimes has coupons now that you can "clip" for extra savings.

BTW, I stopped by BRU on my way into work. It was empty, and they had plenty of diapers and wipes. Can't believe I'm buying Size 3 for Jackson already!

December 7th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Expecting #1
We have Amazon Prime and LOVE it! I didnt know you could get extra savings with Amazon Mom. I will have to look into that for sure!!

December 10th, 2012, 12:15 PM
33w0d - Belly Pics FINALLY updated!
...but only through 32w. I am going to have to get creative to get 33 week pics, since DH is traveling, so they may not happen until the end of the week.

More updates to come later!
Belita likes this.

December 10th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Nicholle ttc's Avatar TTC our first!
Woo hoo, Belly pics! Scooter is getting big!

Natural cycles-August 2011-July 2012
August 2012-October 2012 clomid and progesterone
November 2012-IUI
December 2012, cysts from IUI, on bcp

January 2013-February 2013, long protocol IVF
15 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized with ICSI
All 7 made it to 5 day transfer, 2 were transferred
Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

May 10, 2013, lap sx, Stage 1 endo

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

FET tentatively scheduled for 10/31/13

Have never seen a bfp.

December 10th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Expecting #1
You look fabulous!!! You are all belly and have that perfect round belly. I bet you can't even tell you are preggers from the back!

December 10th, 2012, 05:24 PM
You are a radiant pregnant woman!

December 10th, 2012, 06:02 PM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
You look amazing!!!

Forever missing my angel 2010

December 10th, 2012, 08:17 PM
33w0d - PM Update
I am obsessed with finding the exact right storage solutions for various places in the house - bathroom cubbies in our over the toilet organizer, and the top nursery drawer (why can't anyone make a fabric bin that is 13.5 inches deep and not also 13.5 inches wide!)

Other than that, good day. Did this and that around the house, had lunch, then went to the Container Store to obsess over storage solutions (and left empty handed!), then headed to my doc appointment.

I ended up getting there a little early, and when it was my appointment time, i still had to wait. I peed in a cup, did weight and BP, and talked to the assistant (I seriously don't know if these "assistants" are nurses or what, but they are a bit thick if you ask me.). No matter, we got through the normal stuff, and I waited a bit longer. Finally, the door opens and some lady walks in, introduces herself as Eva, a physician's assistant, and she would be seeing me today since Dr C is running behind. Fine with me...she seemed nice, and it was a routine OB check, and I am not really having any problems. Plus, I knew that my doc was right around the corner if I needed her.

So we chatted, she went through my chart and such, and just talked about how things were going. After about 10 min of that (yep, a full 10 min chat - I get about 2 with my doc), she measured my belly (didn't say what it was), then listened for Scooter heartbeat.

She would find it right away, then he would move. She'd find it again, he'd move. This went on for about 3 minutes. I was like "I told you he moves ALL the time!". She laughed...he was moving around like crazy, and I wasn't even feeling these movements! Everything sounded great. When I was still on my back, I asked if she could confirm his position by touch. She pretty much confirmed (as best you can w/o U/S) that he is def head down, his butt is in my upper left abdomen (exactly where I thought it was), and she wasn't sure about the arms, legs, etc. But she liked his position, and said it's unlikely he'll flip from this point forward, which made us all happy.

So, good appointment! I liked Eva, and would have no problem seeing her if Dr C is busy. She was excessively nice and attentive.

Next appointment is next Thursday - L2 u/s, OB check, NST/BPP/AFI - I am SO glad my new Kindle is set to arrive tomorrow (birthday present from my mom and dad!!)

I will be doing NST's 2x a week from that point forward, and 1 OB check a week from that point forward as well. Wow, this is all getting very real!

I have a weekend update as well, but Max is whining and probably wants dinner. I will resettle on the couch and update more later or tomorrow!

xx

December 11th, 2012, 10:09 AM
33w1d - Lots of Oatmeal
I just had a massive bowl of oatmeal this morning. Probably not going to help the constipation from the crapload of iron I take

I need to do a bunch of stuff today. But first, a weekend recap. We had a SUPER busy but very productive weekend.

We did a bunch of stuff around the house - breaking down all the boxes from baby stuff, attached the changing pad to the dresser, put up the crib mobile (but I'm probably going to return it or sell it, more on that later), set up the video monitor, set up the bassinet (awwww!), rearranged some of my school stuff in the office, got a new rug for under our pool table, changed a bunch of burnt out lightbulbs throughout the house, etc. Paid bills, worked on our Christmas cards (they still aren't done and may never get out), bought our Christmas tree, put the lights on it and the garland (ornaments are all ready to go, but will wait for next weekend), decorated the rest of the house, put the lights on the outside, researched a new receiver we need and some other audio solutions....

There is probably more, but ya, that was a lot of stuff. It was HIGHLY productive. I am STILL waiting for the friggin contractor to get over here and do all the little things we need, and he "said" he was going to "try" and get here by the end of this week.

Ok, I need to rant on this a min.

This guy is a good friend of ours. His wife is DH's admin at work, and is basically DH's mom - takes care of EVERYTHING for him, and when you have a schedule - both work and travel - like DH does, that is a massively good thing. He doesn't even get lunch most days, and she will casually swagger by his office and if she notices his calendar is blocked (she manages that too), and he doesn't have food in front of him, she will go out and get him food, without being asked. If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't know where he is most of the time. They are GOOD people and GOOD friends both in and out of work. Anyhow, her husband is a tile guy. He did new tile in our dog room this summer, and he is just fab. But, because he is so great, he does mostly high end jobs in the fancy parts of town and also some commercial work (like last year he did a new Target store in the LA area). Ya, so he's a no-joke guy. But he's also very handy and can do way more than tile. So, when we needed a bunch of "this and that's" done before Scooter arrived, we called him. He came out, took a look, and said no problem. That was months ago. We weren't in a hurry then, but thought just before the end of the year.

Well, it's nearly Christmas, and the stuff still isn't done, nor do we have a schedule to have it done. The problem is, I can't blame him...he is very busy (which is great for him, since he's his own business and he is doing massively huge, i.e. lots of $$$$ jobs right now), and our stuff is small peanuts (like moving outlets, removing shower doors, installing a light in a closet). We do have one demo/reno project in our downstairs bathroom that needs to be done as a result of when our sewer backed up almost 3 years ago and caused some damage to the drywall and underneath the cabinet, but still, all this is tiny for him. So we don't come first, and I GET that. But he has been so poor at communicating that it's driving me nuts. I told DH about 2 weeks ago that he had until the end of this week to get it all done or I was calling someone else.

Even his wife has been bugging him about getting out here. She emailed me the other day and said

"I know you must be so excited and anxious for your new arrival... and I know the Boerger (her hubby) is definitely trying to get over to your place to do a few things before the big day... believe me, I keep putting a bug in his ear every morning =-). We will for sure get it done within the next 2 weeks.... =-) I will put myself on Dakota Tile payroll and start the demo myself.... and it would be a bonus to be able to see you."

See why she's so great!?

Anyhow, I stressed about it for months, and still am, but have just learned that I can't worry about this. I just wanted it all done before my family gets here for Christmas. If it happens, great, if not, so be it.

Whew, I feel better. Sorry for the tangent.

So, today!

I have to:
* choose and order shelves for the nursery
* order book ends for the shelves (once I see which shelves I pick)
* pay a few fees for school
* finish my christmas cards/order them
* order a bunch of christmas gifts for family!
* make a tie blanket for my 70 year old neighbor who is going through her 6th and final round of chemo for breast cancer
* clean out my files from my old work stuff
* place a big amazon order
* move Scooter's PJs to the dresser
* clean my kitchen cabinets to make room for baby stuff
* look for a newborn photographer
* find extra bassinet sheets (I have a nonstandard bassinet)

Lofty aspirations. Probably won't get anywhere near done, but at least I have a list!

So, off to get started...

Have a superb Tuesday!
x

December 11th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Ok, question that I know has been answered to some extent before but for BTDT mommies...I am struggling with the amount of NB clothes...

How many of each of these would you recommend?

Footies (footed pjs, sleepers)?
NON Footed pjs?
Gowns?
Sleep sacks?
Onesies (SS and LS)?
Kimono-style tshirts?
Pants?

I am pretty sure I am set on sleep sacks/swaddles. It's the other stuff I have a feeling I'm too light on. I have a lot in 0-3, but still probalby short in pants, gowns, and footed PJs (seems like all the pjs and sleepers I have are non-footed??)

So, need to finish off my shopping, and make sure we have a good selection of things. I am not taking the tags of most of his things just yet, since there is a very real possibility he will go straight into 0-3, or if not right away, he may not be in NB for long at all, given his estimated size right now.

So...thoughts?

Thank you!

December 11th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Nicholle ttc's Avatar TTC our first!
Whew, that is a big list! You are going to be one busy woman.

I would be annoyed too, if my friend promised to help me with some projects and has yet to come through, especially with scooter on the way. Hopefully his wife's insistance will work and he'll stop by this week!

Natural cycles-August 2011-July 2012
August 2012-October 2012 clomid and progesterone
November 2012-IUI
December 2012, cysts from IUI, on bcp

January 2013-February 2013, long protocol IVF
15 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized with ICSI
All 7 made it to 5 day transfer, 2 were transferred
Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

May 10, 2013, lap sx, Stage 1 endo

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

FET tentatively scheduled for 10/31/13

Have never seen a bfp.

December 11th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Glad you had a great appointment with Eva.

I can only imagine how frustrated you are that all the the "Boerger" hasn't even started any of the projects. Fingers crossed that it all gets done before Christmas.

Hope you knock out a lot of that list today too.

As for NB clothes, it's just so hard to know. We only bought a few things because I just figured I'd do lots of laundry for that first week or two. However, Jackson was in NB clothes longer than I figured he would be. And the last thing I wanted to do was laundry. So DH ended up going out and buying more stuff. The biggest thing for me was footies. If you have footless sleepers, you could always just buy some NB socks. That would work just fine and save you from needing to buy more PJs that he'll only wear a couple of times. We also loaded up on NB onesies (it was summertime) and I think four pairs of pants that were interchangeable with the onesies.

It's just so hard to say when you don't know how big he'll be at birth.

Last edited by Mom2JDub; December 11th, 2012 at 11:07 AM.
December 11th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Thanks Adrienne....ya, that's probably why I haven't bought too many NB things, especially since Scooter is measuring so big right now. Plus, everything I have can easily be returned/exchanged. I am short on basics like pants and onesies, so I might pick up a few of each at Target, just to have. I have lots of socks, so I'm probably covered with nonfooties, but still might use this as an excuse to get a few more NB sized footed pjs

December 11th, 2012, 11:16 AM
The NB clothes are so cute and tiny. I was just going back and looking at the NB clothes I packed away, and I can't believe Jackson ever fit in them.

December 11th, 2012, 11:19 AM
And I totally just forgot about 2 NB outfits I bought on Zulily - onesie, pants, cap

December 11th, 2012, 01:27 PM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here's a run down of clothes and how it went for us.

Joseph came out way smaller than expected (7.4 not 10+) so we had only THREE NB things.

Have NB stuff on hand, some washed, keep tags on others. Sleep sacks were a nightmare for us and honestly too big when they are first born. Joseph was always a squirmer so he'd end up with the back of the neck pulling really hard (he slept on his belly) and would wake up crying.

Footed PJ's are cute but 1.) they don't last as long...PJ pants are longer, will need to be rolled up, but that will allow you to use them a lot longer and 2.) if baby has long toenails or if one gets snagged, then it can get caught on the material and break (this happened to Joseph). I just don't like them for that. Socks and pants are better.

Gowns were awesome! Super fast and easy to change a diaper that way.

You can never have enough onesies with a boy.

We had a couple of kimono style shirts which looked adorable, but in reality they twisted easily and a lot which then had a large portion of his chest exposed. Not good in the winter.

Odds are good you will go through a lot of clothes at first while figuring out which diapers work best (they'll likely get peed out of a lot). So in NB I would have 6-8 onesies (you can buy just the packs of plain white ones since he may not be in them long and get cute ones in the 0-3), 4 gowns, 2-4 outfits if you want him dressed up for visitors and a few PJ pants to wear with the onesies. And like I said, don't take the tags off of everything so that if he jumps up quick you can exchange them. Start off with just 3-4 days of NB stuff washed and ready to go. It's much easier o exchange later than to have to run out right away to buy.

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
December 11th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Oh, yeah, totally forgot about the gowns, since he's too big for them now! Gowns made middle-of-the-night diaper changes so easy, even easier than zippered PJs.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search