Karin & Scooter's Journal - BIRTH STORY (FINALLY!)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree430Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC #1 Grads Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 11th, 2012, 02:11 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
This is great stuff!

Ok, so my kimono shirts are only until the cord stump falls off (highly recommended as a MUST have by bro/SIL). I just got plain white ones, LS and SS - and haven't opened them yet in case I don't need them or need bigger size.

I need to just pick up a few packs of plain white onesies, that's been my plan, but haven't gotten around to it. Might just do that this afternoon.

Gowns - ah yes, I had a feeling I would want more for diaper changes at night! I have 2, so need more for sure.

Super great info!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
December 11th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't do any gowns or kimono shirts. The hospital used the kimono shirt and it was okay but definitely not a must have. His cord stump was never bothered by his outfits. In fact, it didn't fall off until he was 3 weeks old, so definitely not bothered. I honestly didn't think it was a big deal to unzip the sleepsack and use the PJs.

As for footies vs. not, I'm going to go against the others and say footies. Sean cannot keep socks on to save his life and it's a PITA to chase down tiny baby socks. I think it depends on Scooter's body shape but Sean outgrew his footed sleepers in length at the same time he outgrew the nonfooted pants. The rise was too low on the non-footed things. I honestly haven't seen any non-footed PJs for babies anyways. Might just be where I'm looking. Zippered PJs are easier for nighttime diaper changes than snaps. I've snapped up wrong many times in the dimly lit room!

We had 11 NB outfits and could have gotten by on less, but it was helpful to have them. We lasted a month in the NB size and Sean was born at 8lbs.

December 11th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belita View Post
As for footies vs. not, I'm going to go against the others and say footies.
Oh, no, I'm definitely for footies, just suggesting that if Karin doesn't want to buy more footies socks might do the trick with the non-footed sleepers. Of course, I also have a kid with ginormous feet who's been wearing 6-12 month socks for over a month now. I can say that "booties" did not work EVER. Regular socks would stay on though.

Jackson is a tall one, so he has outgrown his footed sleepers way faster than I would like. They end up pulling down on his shoulders. He still has plenty of room in the mid-section, but he's barely fitting in his 3-6 month footies in length and really should be in 6-9 month footies for that reason (but they swallow him everywhere else).

So, yeah, kind of dependent on Scooter's body type. Like Robyn, I didn't have any problems with zipping/unzipping the sleep sacks or PJs. Gowns were the easiest though.

December 11th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Ok, so what I'm gathering is exactly what I expected...I just have to sort of wait and see! Every baby is different, and I think as long as I have a couple/few of everything to try, I'll see what works!

I do really appreciate all the input though!

Now, onto my next fiasco. Apparently, my bassinet does not sell sheets separately, and it's a very non-standard size. Apparently, the playard we chose is also bigger than every single other stinkin playard and also doesn't sell separate sheets.

Good GRIEF.

December 11th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Oh, Karin! I'm sorry. Depending on how crafty you are, I know there are some sheet-making tutorials on Pinterest. Or maybe Etsy?

December 11th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Or I could be "crafty" and return both and get other ones

Seriously, what a nightmare. I go through all the mess of researching to find what I think are awesome things for Scooter-man, only to run into this mess.

I think I can come up with a playard sheet solution, and honestly, since he won't be sleeping in it, I can get by without (but Mabel/Munch will be, so I'm trying to find some for her), but the stoopid bassinet only came with one sheet instead of the 2 it promised (and yes, I've already contacted them...and they are in Spain, so we'll see where that goes), and I just want an extra!

Good GAWD.

December 11th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Ugh! And you'll definitely even want the playyard sheets even for Scooter. Sean doesn't sleep in his either but if I lay him down in it for a while and he spits up it's a lot easier to throw the sheets in the wash.

And that is essential to have at least 2 bassinet sheets. I have three sets and have needed all three! I hope you can figure something out!

December 11th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Ya, I'm learning that even if I don't "need" them, I know I am going to want them. The playard says you don't need the sheets because the pad is so great, but ya, I don't think it's "that" great.

December 11th, 2012, 06:02 PM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just want to chime in: Jordan was in NB size clothes and diapers for 6+ weeks so we used all of his clothes multiple times and I only had to do his laundry every other week. He was always in onesies under his sleep sacks and other clothes. My favorite to put him in were sleep and plays that had feet and hand covers. I just put all his NB stuff away but if you want I could go through and count everything I had He's still a peanut so he wore the NB size pants the longest of his other clothes! Even now the 0-3 pants are still too big but NB are too small.

December 12th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Dani - don't even think about unpacking stuff! But thanks for offering!!

I think I've got a good idea of what I need - I'm just going to make sure I have a few of everything on hand, and only take the tags off a handful of items. If I need more of something, DH can go get it. If Scoots grows out of things, I can return what's not untagged. Simple as pie!

33w2d - Work Day!
Quick update - I'm headed to the Park to work today, though we will see how that goes. I had a rough afternoon yesterday. Nothing was wrong, per se, but I had a lot of BH ctx and they started to get painful late in the day. Nothing even close to timeable or anything that worried me, but I was just generally very uncomfortable, no matter what I did. Plus, Scooter-man really didn't stop moving all day! I fed the dogs, had some leftover pizza for dinner, and sat on the couch with my feet up for the rest of the night. I finally started to feel pretty good. I started to doze around 11pm, so went up to bed. Of course, then I was wide awake. I laid there for an hour and a half, and finally I must have fallen asleep. I woke up around 3 because Peanut was dancing all over the bed. Took him downstairs and outside to potty, then back to bed for us. I got up a few more times, and really was never, ever comfortable all night in bed. Also at 330, Scooter had a party. So fun.

I slept pretty well from about 530a to 730a, and then I laid there until 8, when I finally got up (nice treat to sleep that late!). I had a poptart, and fed the dogs, and just catching up here a bit. I am headed to the Park, and my plan is to work from about 930 to 2. We will see how long I last. There is nothing set as to when I have to stay until, so it's all up to how I feel. I know that my uniform shirt is pretty comical, and many folks love to see how much more ill-fitting it gets week after week!

Ok, off to the races! Well, the goat-races, that is! Maybe if there is an opportune moment, I'll snag a belly pic with one of my "friends" like I did last week with Trumpet.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Wednesday! Woohoo, Wednesday!
x

December 12th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Expecting #1
How frustrating with the playard and bassinet sheets! Hopefully you can find a solution. The BTDT mommies have chimed in on outfits and provided great advice on outfits! I took studious notes

I only want to add, since I am also high risk and know how the next few weeks will be like with all your doctor appointments, is to wait on buying more NB a couple more weeks. We were told our little girl was growing big and since we get so many u/s and measurements we figured we would wait until closer to the EDD to determine if she continued to grow a little bigger than average. Since she stayed bigger than normal, expected birth weight is 8-8.5 (which I know can be totally off), we are sticking with about 5 onesies, 5 footie PJs, a couple pairs of pants, a couple gowns, and a couple of outfits only. To me, I would rather send out DH to get some more NB clothes than have to deal with clothes we can't return, but that is a personal preference. With the Target being across the street from you now, you have a quick option of getting more cute NB clothes quick. Just a thought though.

December 12th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Crystallee's Avatar Host of the Dec 2012 PR
Outfit wise:
I actually like snaps over zippers... shocking right? Emmalyn hates being naked and tolerates diaper changes much better if her top half is all snuggly snapped in still and just her but and legs are out We are barely using any clothing because she barely fits in newborn as 90% of it still hangs off her and because she has only peed in two outfits so far in three weeks lol... She doesn't spit up. Never has. Not once. So we are rather lucky. Pretty much just an outfit or two a day. I was all worried about the cord too but it was a complete nonissue. Even with diapers. The stupid cutout for the cord was like at her armpits so the nurses said not to worry and just put it over it so we did and had zero issues. Seems like we will likely be in newborn size for quite some time so I am glad we have a lot for varieties sake only. I feel weird about her not having fuzzy jammies on since it is winter so I am glad I have more of those than just like onesies or something. That is my very limited experience so far! Oh as far as sheets and such, I just bought those waterproof pads and just tuck them around the mattress for the cosleeper and the pack n play. Still has the same one on it from birth as she hasn't made a mess yet but that is also likely because she can't aim her pee anywhere Diaper changes have been pretty foolproof if I stick the new diaper underneath her first. I don't even use a changing pad or anything even when on the go most the time unless it is somewhere gross that I don't want to lay her.

Thanks kiliki for my siggie!
December 12th, 2012, 03:22 PM
lol yeah, diapering for a girl is a whole different ball game!

I don't mind snaps during the day for the reason Crystal mentioned, but they are more difficult at night. It's a minor enough problem, though, that I will still have him sleep in a snap outfit if he happens to be in one at bedtime.

Sean didn't spit up for the first few weeks and then he became a spit up machine!

December 12th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Oooh Robyn, love the new siggy!

December 12th, 2012, 05:32 PM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
Wow! I missed a lot in the last day .

Karin, I'm glad your really liked Eva. I personally think the nurses and doctors can really make of break your experience. I also hope you can get your friend in before Christmas. I completely understand stressing about all the little things...it's so hard not too!

Also, great question and great advice but it sounds like it comes down to what the baby likes, how big they are when there born, and how fast they grow. Having a variety is a great place to start! I should be taking notes .

I hope you have fun playing with the goats today!

Forever missing my angel 2010

December 12th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Quick update, then must tend to Mr Havercamp (Max).

Wrote to the bassinet company (babyhome), and they emailed back today saying that they JUST started selling extra sheets! They aren't the "greatest" sheets in the world, but they aren't bad either - like they are soft enough for sure. And for a bassinet, I'm not all that picky. Plain white and whatnot, but again, for something he'll be in for such a relatively short time, I can deal!

Now, onto the playard sheets. I ordered a sheet that "supposedly" will fit, and it was a nice sheet, so hopefully it will fit. If not, not sure what Plan B is. I also wrote to the company to see if they have a suggestion/solution.

Ok, Max is tripping all over my chair, and whining (Sundowners strikes!), so must deal with him.

Toodles!
Nicholle ttc likes this.

December 12th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbpeanut View Post
Oooh Robyn, love the new siggy!
Thanks!

Glad you're getting somewhere with the sheets!

December 12th, 2012, 08:02 PM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belita View Post
Sean didn't spit up for the first few weeks and then he became a spit up machine!

I thought we had lucked out with Jordan those first few weeks and then learned really quickly to use a bib all day to save his clothes from needing to be changed... I finally know why you get so many bibs at baby showers!

December 12th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Oh jeez...bibs!!! I think I have 9 new ones. I do have a bunch in a bag of hand me downs from some friends though...not sure what kind of shape they are in though. Might have to check that one!

December 13th, 2012, 09:52 AM
33w3d - DMV and Rain
These are 2 things in my life today. Oh, and Christmas shopping. Fun, fun.

First, the rain. This is an event here in SoCal. While we get a sprinkle on occasion this is RAIN. I can look outside and tell you that it will be like this all day. I took the garbage out this morning, and our backyard was half flooded. Blech. Normally, I wouldn't mind, just hole up in the house, and get baby stuff done! However....

My drivers license expires tomorrow, so I must go to the DMV today. I could go tomorrow, but I already made an appointment for today, and plus, Friday's are ALWAYS a nightmare there. So, today it is. I will get dressed, make myself look presentable (I have to get a new pic I'm pretty sure), stop by Starbucks for a yummy treat, and go. I have my iPad, my new Kindle with a freshly downloaded copy of a book I've been dying to read (Belly Laughs!), and my phone. I guess the nice thing is that I can finally get my picture updated (mine looks nothing like me), my address updated (mine still has 2 houses ago), and get my motorcycle class (M-class) rating added officially (I've had my "license" for 2 years, but it's not officially on my license).

I really, really, really want to go to Ikea. I have been searching for some drawer dividers for the top nursery drawer for the past few days. I found lots of ideas, but none that will fit perfectly. Lo and behold, I found some that should fit perfectly (based on the measurements), at Ikea. Unfortunately, they aren't avail for ordering online, so I have to go to the store. Which isn't all that close. Granted, it's not too far, prob about 25 min or so, but in this rain, yuck. But I really want them.

So, this is my day. Starbucks, DMV, Ikea, Target (few things+grocery), home. I plan on spending the remainder of the day doing my Christmas shopping online, and doing some nursery work. Still not sure if I'll get the Christmas cards ordered this year...getting kinda late.

Oh, and still no word from our friend the contractor. He has until tomorrow to formally schedule something, and if nothing, I'm at least having someone come in to deal with the shower in the guest room. We have glass doors, and wanted them removed for easy access to Scooter. Well, we removed the doors just fine, but the frame is built into the wall, which requires work to get out and replaced with a good curtain rod. So, now, we have no doors on it, and we have no curtain rod either, and really no way to hang one with the frame still in place. And we have guests coming in a week who need to use it.

Grrrrr.

Ok, going to go get dressed. Will be around later today. Wish me luck!
x

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search