Karin & Scooter's Journal - BIRTH STORY (FINALLY!)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree430Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC #1 Grads Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 15th, 2012, 09:15 AM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First a belated happy birthday!! Second, going back a bit, yep, it's very simple when it comes to baby. Note advice and then just see what works.

Ok, I hate to do this, but it's important because I saw it mentioned. I have to talk about infant loss. Crystal said she was using a waterproof pad on the bassinet or something. I BEG you all to get an extra of the exact pad and cut it open before using it. I have an IRL friend who lost one of her twins because of a waterproof mattress pad. She bought a very common/popular brand from a large retailer but it turned out that the way it was waterproofed (though the packaging stated otherwise) was by them putting a thin layer of plastic inside of it. It was almost like Saran wrap on the inside so it made no "plasticky" noise or anything. I know it's nothing anyone wants to hear/think/read about, but it's necessary.

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
December 17th, 2012, 09:44 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Thanks Michelle! I will have to look into the pads I got...that is a great tip, thanks for sharing that! I have NO problem cutting one open to check if it means extra safety!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
December 17th, 2012, 05:08 PM
34w0d - Just another Monday.
Busy day of doing this' and that's. We had a busy weekend, but didn't get a lot done...if that makes sense! We had childbirth prep class all day both Sat and Sun, so that was pretty much all we did. The class was EXCELLENT, and so was our instructor. I feel far more prepared now that I understand more of the hospital protocol and procedures. We also learned about breathing techniques, and laboring positions. DH is going to be a wonderful coach, that is for sure!

Our contractor was also here both days all weekend working on the various projects. He was here for a bit this morning, and will be coming back this afternoon still to finish up yet a few more things. Poor guy has a bajillion projects that he's trying to finish up before the holidays (per contracts), and he's just running ragged. I feel bad for him, but then again, he put himself in that spot by promising these deliveries! I have to tell you a little tidbit about how awesome he is though.

I've mentioned before he is the DH of a good friend of ours - DH's admin at work. They are in their late 50s probably. He is a "tile" guy, mainly, but does other things when he can to pick up extra work here and there. He's just a "nice guy" type of guy, if that makes sense. Works hard for a living, and loves his wife. So, this morning, he was here dropping off some supplies for later tonight, and we were chatting in the driveway about this and that. I was still in my PJs sipping coffee, and he had already been up, been to one job, ran to the supply store for supplies, stopped at another job, then came to our house. Ya, and I was still in my PJs. So I was telling him how much stuff I have to do, and how I just wanted to curl up on the couch and watch a movie. (It was also raining this morning). I was telling him how I had to go to another town about 25 min away to pick up something for Scooter to wear when I brought him home from the hospital. (This town is also where that huge job of his is).

So, this guy, all dressed in his jeans and workman's belt and all dirty from work, says "Well, if it's something I can easily identify, do you want me to pick up the outfit for you?"

I about cried. There is NO way I would ever ask him to do that, but it was adorable that he offered. What a great, great guy.

So anyhow, I did end up going over that way, every stop I wanted to make there was a bust. They didn't have the sweater I wanted, the other store didn't have the sheets I wanted, and the last 2 stores didn't have things I needed either. Total waste of time. But, at least I was able to stop on my way home and pick up some yummy lunch.

I have been trying to find shelves for the nursery. We aren't finding just what we wanted - everything is either too big or too small. Meh. I'm still obsessing over some coming home outfits for Scooter too. And I really wanted to order the last few bedding things from PBK today since it's supposed to be free shipping day, but for some reason, shipping charges keep showing up in my cart. Grrr.

I still haven't gotten our Christmas cards done, so they are likely to turn into New Years Cards or something like that. The cards are done, but I need DH to tell me who he wants to send to from his side (we have a HUGE list normally, and this year, we're trimming it down because we will be sending out birth announcements before too long anyway).

Scooter has been pretty quiet today. Nothing alarming I don't think, just a quieter day for him. I feel really sore on my sides, and that usually means that he is growing but I am not (yet). So he might just be a little cramped in there. I don't really feel anything changing or "happening" yet, just that it's getting harder to get around these days. It's getting harder and harder to get in my Wrangler too, which is annoying and comical at the same time.

This Thursday, I have a flurry of doctor appointments - starting at 8am. First I have an ultrasound and AFI check. Then, my first NST, and finally, my OB check. I will likely be there from about 8 until about 11. DH is coming for the U/S at 8, then he has to leave for a meeting at work. My next OB check will then be on the 26th, but I am pretty sure I'll have to go in for another NST in between the 2, since I am currently scheduled to be going 2x a week. They are trying to work the schedule such that I can do one of them on the same day as my weekly OB check, so that I'm not going there 3x a week! So, after Thursday, weekly OB checks, and 2x a week NSTs. That's the plan anyway.

I always think that Scooter will be here early, and while I do think he won't wait until 40 weeks, I'm not sure he'll be the 2 weeks early I originally thought. Not sure why, though. DH thinks he's going to hang around until 41 weeks, since we learned at our class that many first time mom's don't deliver until 41 weeks.

Ok, I have to go do something else...turn on the Christmas lights, place an Amazon order, stuff like that.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Monday!
x

December 18th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
The Boerger (did I spell that right?) really does sound awesome!

Good luck with all your appointments on Thursday. I seriously can't believe you're less than 6 weeks from your due date.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
December 18th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a great friend! Glad he finally made it over!

You're really getting to the end now! I had a lot of trouble getting in and out of my Nitro at the end. I felt like I needed a step ladder! It still hurt to get in and out for about a week after we got home because of my incision but like all 3rd trimester hassles it went away quickly.

When does your family arrive?

December 18th, 2012, 05:32 PM
34w1d - Is it still Monday?
Jeez, I have lost this day already. I was looking back at my journal trying to remember when I posted my update already, since I didn't remember doing it, and it finally dawned on me that it's not Monday any longer. Wow. PG brain at it's finest.

Today has been excessivly prodicutve. I didn't do some things I wanted but I managed to pretty much finish up my Christmas shopping - all online. There is one thing we still need to pick up at a store, which we are doing tonight after I meet DH for dinner at CPK, we think. But, everything else is ordered, and on the way...mostly from Amazon. Thank goodness for Prime.

Things I still have to do include:
* my Christmas cards (ya, probably not going out anytime soon)
* finish decorating the house
* put all of Scooter's stuff he doesn't need for a bit in the garage instead of our living room
* put the house back together where it's taken apart for contractor work
* clean my fish and crab tanks
* put all of the baby stuff away in the kitchen
* reorganize kitchen cabinets (at least one, so I have room for said baby stuff)
* make some scones (b/c my mom loves them, and she'll be here in a few days)
* pack hospital bag and diaper bag (after Christmas)
* wash all the sheets and towels for the guest bathroom
* set up Pack n Play for Munch (and pray to the heavens that the sheets I got fit)
* put up a few childproofing items for Munch's sake (once they arrive, ordered today from Amazon)
* put our ornaments on the tree (currently has lights and garland only)

I think that's a good enough list for the week,eh?

I was planning to volunteer today, but it was nasty and rainy out, and my body it so achy these days, I decided against it. I usually volunteer on Wed, but for several reasons, I meant to switch to today. Tomorrow probably won't happen either, since I have a bunch of stuff still left to do (see aforementioned list!!). Thursday, I will be spending all morning in the doctor office for various things, then Friday, last minute prep for house guests arriving on Saturday!

DH has a SUPER busy week at work - he's doing a strat plan presentation right now, matter of fact, phase 3 of it. Phase 4 (final phase) is Thursday. Once that is over, he'll be in a much better place. Plus, this is his last week of work before the holiday...he is planning to take off the first part of next week, then work a day or two near the end. Normally, I'd ask him to just take the whole week, but knowing that he will be taking tons of time off after the new year, I'm ok with him working. My fam will be gone by then, so no harm, no foul.

One fun project I'm doing is working hard to train a good Pandora station. Why? For L&D of course! We are huge Pandora fans, and while I have lots of playlists I've created over the years, they aren't as well trained as I'd like. So, this one, I've been carefully training over the past few days. It's really good. I like very specific music in very specific situations, and our plan for L&D is to have several sources of audio available to me.

One will be a standard iTunes playlist (probably a few). These will be loaded on my phone and iPad, and we'll proabyl have both small speakers and earphones, depending on my needs. Then we will have a Pandora station that we can toss through AirPlay to some speakers, as back up. Either way, this is fun.

Ok, I've rambled enough. I have to go toss out the remains of the Harry & David pear (i.e. the stem) that is sitting next to me. (My parents got us a 3-month fruit of month club for our anniversary...and I seriously couldn't eat a pear faster than I did the one earlier today). Then I need to toss on some clothes and go meet DH for dinner.

Oh, the Boerger (that's just his last name, but that's what everyone calls him, including his wife) didn't make it back last night, nor today. We know he's at our friends house, another co-worker of DH's today. He's trying to finish both of our stuff this week - this other guy has his entire family coming in on Friday, ours on Sat. He played the "pregnant" wife card and was at our house all weekend, so has been at this other guys house Mon and Tue. It's ok, stuff is getting done.

I should probably give a little Scooter update. Yesterday, I mentioned that Scooter had been quieter. Well, THAT was short-lived. Today, he was right back to his old antics. Major Scooter party around 6am, that really didn't stop until about 11. Then he took a nap, and Scooter party Round 2 started right after I ate lunch about noon. Then another nap about 4, and he's been sleeping since. Not soundly, though, I can still feel him rolling around from time to time. Poor kid is probably just running out of room. I feel my sides and belly trying to stretch, but they just aren't.

Hope everyone had a great day, and has a great night!
x

Last edited by kbpeanut; December 19th, 2012 at 11:29 AM.
December 19th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Expecting #1
Sounds like you have been busy! Glad things are getting done around the house, right in time for your family to come visit.

Going to the doctor office 3x a week would be tough. Hopefully they can work a schedule so you only have to go in 2x a week to save you an extra trip.

I hope Scooter doesn't want to stay until 41 weeks! I imagine that last week being the longest week ever!! Hopefully since you are walking around and on your feet a lot, that will help Scooter come a little early, even if its only a day or two

December 19th, 2012, 08:54 AM
34w2d - The sun is back.
It's been gloomy and rainy the past 2 days around here, so it was nice to wake up to the sun this morning! Hopefully that will get me motivated to tackle my list.

Last night was good. I picked up DH from work, ended up waiting about a half hour for him to finish up his strat plan meeting, then we went to get his mom's Christmas gift nearby, then went to CPK for dinner. When we were in-between, his boss calls, so I figured he needed something from the meeting (which he let DH leave early once he found out I was waiting for him, and it was already 7pm). Well, he didn't. He felt so bad for keeping him so late, and knowing how it is to have a pregnant wife (they just had their 4th about 5 months ago) and to be working late every night, so he told DH to bring the receipt from our dinner, and he would cover it.

So unexpected. Yet so thoughtful. Very unnecessary, but a nice gesture. He does realize that he has DH at work every night far later than he should, and has him working at home every night too, all while trying to get baby stuff and Christmas stuff done. So it was nice.

DH also got his company's holiday gift yesterday (never anything big, usually some generic trinket thingy). Well, it was a VERY soft, VERY plus, winter white blanket with a very small subtle company logo embroidered on it. It's going to be an AWESOME Scooter blankie!

Ok, so we came home after a deelish dinner (I have the leftovers for lunch), and put all the ornaments on the tree. I wasn't terribly into it, but I really wanted it done. DH put on some Christmas music, and we had at it. This is the first year that we haven't had to put any of the generic bulb ornaments on the tree, since our personal ornament collection has gotten so big! We also, last night, bought our new ornament (we get ourselves a Hallmark one each year). It's a Frosty the Snowman one. So cute. We filled in the gaps with candy canes. I love our tree. I always used to do very classy trees - white lights, burgandy and gold ornaments and garland, and all that jazz. Well, DH and I have a fun tree - colored lights, fun ornaments (many from our own childhood), and a tree topper that is a light-up Yoda star. Yep. It's fun.

We relaxed for a few after that, then went to bed. I slept like crap, for this reason and that. Mostly just constipated. Took care of that this morning, thank goodness. I already started some projects downstairs - cleaning out a cabinet to make room for baby stuff, breaking down boxes from the shipments that arrive every day. No word on if the contractor will be back today, but I really hope so.

Looks like a big chunk of my Christmas gifts will be arriving tomorrow, so I'm hoping to spend the afternoon wrapping them, after my appointments.

I am nervous about the appointments, and don't know why. I have no reason to be. Scooter seems to be just great, albeit big, and his activity is normal. I am feeling no signs of pre-term labor (something for which I am at risk for a number of reasons), and other than a slight headache (guaranteed from dehydration), I feel pretty ok. I'm sure things will be fine. Just probably stressed about the holiday and house guests and such.

So, I'm probably going to log off for a bit today, something I rarely do when I'm home, but I really need to focus and get stuff done.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Wednesday!
x

December 19th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Nicholle ttc's Avatar TTC our first!
Hope you have a wonderfully productive Wednesday!

Natural cycles-August 2011-July 2012
August 2012-October 2012 clomid and progesterone
November 2012-IUI
December 2012, cysts from IUI, on bcp

January 2013-February 2013, long protocol IVF
15 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized with ICSI
All 7 made it to 5 day transfer, 2 were transferred
Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

May 10, 2013, lap sx, Stage 1 endo

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

FET tentatively scheduled for 10/31/13

Have never seen a bfp.

December 19th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hope your day away was productive and your boeger (sp?) came back to finish up the jobs around the house.

I loved the photo of your tree, we have a couple of individual/ special ornaments that are meaningful to us and I hope that our collection grows over the years.

Thank you Vicki for my amazing siggie!

December 20th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was lurking and saw your post in your DDC .... hoping your trip to triage was uneventful

December 20th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Hope your appointments go well today, and you get all the wrapping done.

December 20th, 2012, 03:35 PM
34w3d - Little trip to L&D
Well, I'm home from my 8am appointment, at 330pm. It's been a long day.

Home from the hospital. I am exhausted. Last night, I got very little sleep...woke up to the most horrid acid reflux I've ever had (and I have it daily/nightly). I was up for about 3 hours trying to stop it. Between that and the potty breaks, I got VERY little sleep. Finally, I fell asleep from about 6-630, but then I had to get up for the doctor!

We left for the doctor at 720, got there at 8, had the u/s, everything looked perfect. Scooter is still measuring big, but only by just over a week now, vs the 2 weeks he has been. Everything looks great. AFI was great.

NST seemed good, but then the hot doctor (yes, the hot doctor), came in and told me he wanted me to go to triage to be monitored for an hour because of one blip. He said himself it was probably nothing, but can never be too safe.

I still had to go to my regular OB appointment first, at his recommendation. So I did that, after waiting nearly an hour. (At this point, it's about 1145, and I had been there since 8). Met a new doc, mine was off today, and he was awesome, too. Everything was looking right, my belly is measuring right on target.

Off I go to triage. I got all hooked up, things were seemingly ok. The nurse said I was having a bunch of mini, itty uterine blips, like contractions, but more just an irritated uterus, which could be for a number of reasons, none of them alarming. Scooter was doing wonderfully on the monitor. She suggested I eat and have some water, since it was about 145 and I hadn't eaten or drank but a bit of water all day. (By this time, I've normally had a full breakfast and lunch). She had me empty my bladder, then brought me some water and a ham n cheese sangy. (Best ham & cheese sangy I've had in a while! heehee).

She said that almost immediately after I went potty, and started drinking water, things looked better. She wanted to run it by the high risk doctor on call anyway, to be sure (she is part of the practice I see). The doc said I could go home, since I was scheduled for a repeat NST tomorrow morning anyway.

So I got out of there, got myself a large vanilla malt, and now am home. I want to take a nap so badly, and just might. Our contractor is supposed to be coming by, but he has a key, and can let himself in if need be.

Tomorrow, I go back for repeat NST in the morning. Then again on Monday, and Thursday, plus OB on Wed. Ya, basically I'm going in 3x a week until Scooter arrives. Fun times.

I can tell you for future reference, I had crap signal at the hospital though!

Ok, off to nap. x

December 20th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Sorry it was such a long day, but I'm glad that Scooter is looking good and that the doctors were just being cautious. That is one helluva long day though.

Hope you have a restful day/night.

December 20th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Glad Scooter is ok! That is a long day. Hopefully tomorrow's doesn't take so long!

December 21st, 2012, 06:45 AM
Expecting #1
Oh my what a LONG day. Glad everything was okay. On my second NST, I also had a little blip and I was having a couple of contractions that I didnt even feel. My doctor just kept me hooked up to the monitor for another 45 minutes to make sure things were okay, but it totally freaked me out! My doctor explained that with active babies, sounds like Scooter fits that description!, they can sometimes bump or pinch the cord with a kick or a punch or something. They just like to monitor for a while to make sure the baby reacts ok and does what its supposed to, but wow it sure scares mommy!

Sorry you had bad reception in L&D. Hopefully in the delivery rooms and post partum rooms, if they are different, you will get better reception.

Good luck at your NST today! Tell Scooter to stop playing with his cord

December 21st, 2012, 07:30 AM
I meant to comment on the phone reception. The room I had for labor had no outside walls and horrible reception but the rooms I had for recovery and post-partum had great reception. Hopefully it was just the room.

December 21st, 2012, 08:38 AM
34w4d - Another NST.
Yep, back to the doctor for a repeat NST today. Not shocking, given yesterday's results. I have to go 2x a week anyway, but this week, it's just shoved into a tighter window.

Last night, I slept for almost 11 hours..and boy did I need that!

Now, don't get me wrong, I didn't sleep 12 hours without waking up, but I went to bed at 8pm, and woke up at 7. After my long day yesterday, apparently DH's boss sent him home from work right after his important meeting ended, so he got home at 430! (Normally, he's a 630-7 kinda guy). He made me lay down. So I did. I went to bed, we chatted a bit about the day, then the contractor showed up. DH said he'd take care of dinner, and I took a short nap for an hour. Woke up about 645, went downstairs to eat dinner, and immediately felt yucky again. So, he sent me to bed at 8.

I feel ok this morning, still really tired, but better than yesterday. Getting ready to head to my NST, and hoping that today's is better than yesterday's.

I have a TON of wrapping of gifts to do today, and my entire family arrives tomorrow!

The good news is, the contractor finished the bathroom remodel last night! There are still some other things he has to finish, but those are not important before Christmas, as long as they are done before Scooter.

I really wanted to get a mani/pedi today, but we will see if that happens. I have a very strong feeling my place will be super busy, since it's right before the holidays, so I'll just have to see.

I got the last part of Scooters NB coming home outfit yesterday! So perfect, so cute. Not the exact one I wanted, but since the one I did want wasn't made in NB size, I settled for this. (saved me a pretty penny too). Just waiting on his 0-3 coming home outfit now...it's in transit, and should be here on Monday.

One thing I realized, yesterday, sitting in triage, is that if I had been admitted for some reason and wasn't able to come home, that I was pretty comfortable with everything here being mostly ready, except my hospital bag/diaper bag aren't packed! I need to get on that right after the fam leaves next week. Once that is done, I'll feel better. Should probably think about having the car seat installed and checked out too. Our PD does it free of charge, but we have to make an appointment. I think we'll do that the weekend after Christmas.

Yesterday, I also made all my remaining appointments. Two pages printed out worth. I am basically going 3x a week - 2x for NSTs/AFIs/BPPs, and once for OB checks. Because of when the NSTs need to be, and when clinic hours are, we aren't able to get them on the same days, so that kinda stinks.

What really stinks is that I have to go on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve for NSTs. Since the office is closed both days, I have to do them at the hospital, which is no big deal, but I am at their mercy as to what time I go in. They are to call me today and tell me my times. The alternative was to go on Christmas Day and New Years Day, so I guess the "eves" are a little better", since there is less activity around here. Oh well, it's only a couple hours out of the day, and nobody cares/everyone understands.

This is all getting very real to me. I never rest, I never stop "go-go-going". But yesterday make me sit up and take notice. The fact that I completely reorganized and deep cleaned my entire kitchen the day before probably didn't help things. DH is adamant that I rest more. Last night, I didn't fight him. I took a nap, I went to bed early. Today, though I have a lot to do, if I feel like a nap is needed, I will take one. Even if I just sit in the nursery with book for a bit.

My entire family arrives tomorrow afternoon. We will get up early, get breakfast, get all the Christmas dinner grocery shopping done, and then come home and get the rest of the house organized. There are a few "this and that's" that I would like done before everyone arrives, but if they don't get done, no biggie. My big thing is getting the gifts wrapped and the house somewhat Munch-proof (outlet plugs, gates by the stairs, etc). I still haven't gotten my brother anything for Christmas (I've chosen it, but need to order it - crikey). There are still a few gifts that haven't arrived yet either, nothing like last minute shopping!

Today, after my NST, I plan to go to the mall to return a few things I ordered for Scooter that I decided I don't need, and stop at Target for a few necessities (out of conditioner ) Then maybe a mani/pedi if they/I have time. The maids are coming today so that will take care of cleaning the house and changing the sheets on the beds, thank goodness. One less thing for me to do. I still really need to make a blanket for my 70 year old neighbor who is just finishing up her 6th round of chemo, but I just don't think that will happen this weekend. Why do I sign up for these things??

Ok, enough of rambling. Scooter is doing well this morning, rolling around like normal. Hopefully he liked his oatmeal breakfast, and will do well for the doctor in an hour. That being said, I must run.

Happy Friday all!

xx

December 21st, 2012, 09:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm so glad everything ended up being ok yesterday, naughty scooter scaring mommy!

Karin, I feel tired just reading your to-do lists! I cant believe how much youre getting done at nearly 9 mos pregnant, your like super-preggo! Please do listen to DH and rest as much as possible over the holidays, albeit I know it wont be easy when theres family to entertain.

Hope todays NST goes more smoothly and that you are able to get a mani/pedi - always nice to feel nice lol

December 21st, 2012, 12:00 PM
34w4d - NST Update
Back from NST, Scooter did great. His AFI was excellent, he was moving, breathing, kicking (and still a boy )

NST was a bit tricky at first, since he was trying to escape the monitors by moving towards my back side, so I did have to stay on a little longer, but everything was perfect!

Back to wrapping Christmas presents!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search