Karin & Scooter's Journal - BIRTH STORY (FINALLY!)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree430Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC #1 Grads Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 8th, 2013, 10:51 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
6w 3d - A proper update from my computer
Cant guarantee it will be long or anything, but at least I can type properly instead of from my tiny phone! Mr Baxter is napping, and I would guess I have about 30 minutes left of that nap.

Things have been up and down lately. We are all good, but there are no routines to be had in this house! After being up 3 nights in a row last weekend, we had a couple of good random days/nights. The other night, we put him to bed and got to bed at a reasonable hour...together! Never happens. Yesterday, he was great all morning. I got a bunch of stuff done during his morning nap, and even managed to eat lunch (rarely happens). Then afternoon hit. He woke up from his nap a bit early, and I changed his diaper before feeding him (I am still trying to do parent directed, with a tendency toward some on-demand feeding). It was a bit early, but still really good timing. So far, this scheduling seems to be working well for him. Some days, he goes off of it, but usually, it's pretty close. The whole eat-wake-sleep thing seems to suit his fancy. Except for yesterday.

He started getting super fussy while eating. This was around 1. He almost always does this during his 7pm feeding, since by that time, my supply seems to be dwindling AND it's his fussy time anyway. He'll twist and turn and pull and tug. (Yes, that does hurt, in fact.). He started doing this during the 1pm feeding, which is really unusual. I pulled him off, and checked to make sure I had milk (I totally did), and there was no problem with my flow, or apparent let-down. I changed his diaper again (it was wet again that fast), made sure he was warm, and cuddled him/walked him around for a bit. Tried clearing his nose to see if that would help, but he wouldn't have it. Then I felt his head and decided he was warm. His temp was 99.6. Very low grade, but still up from his normal. No wonder he was fussy, poor guy. I wasn't surprised, since I myself had a bit of a cold late last week, which also started with a fever. It went away quickly, and I thought perhaps if he was going to get sick, he would have already. Who knows, might not have been related. Either way, I tried feeding him again, and he stuck it this time. I basically let him comfort nurse as long as he wanted, and I settled into my glider with a book. He nursed/comfort nursed on and off for the better part of the afternoon. But, during all this time, I had been taking his temperature every hour or so, and it went back to normal within a couple hours by itself. Very happy about that.

DH and I got a plan for the night (changes every night, despite our best intentions). I decided I was going to feed him dinner (it was around 7). I would feed him for about a half hour, and given his history of night feedings, he would start tugging and pulling around then wanting more and not getting it fast enough. During this time, DH would eat, then we would switch, and if B needed a bottle of EBM, DH would give that to him while I ate. Then I would take a bath and DH would play with him for the night.

That all worked out just fine. He ate well, and didn't need a bottle. I ate, and he started getting fussy during dinner, but DH calmed him down by walking around a bit. Then I took a bath. Sometime during my bath, he fed him 2 oz, then another 2 oz since he was clearly hungry again (normal), and it had been about 2 hours since the start of his last feeding. Then he started to fall asleep. I got out of my bath, and DH decided to try and put him down for the night (risky biz!). Didn't work.

So, DH stayed up with him in the nursery while I went to bed, as I expected I would need to be up for a 1am feeding, then again around 5am (since DH was leaving on a biz trip early he couldn't do morning bottle of EBM). I went to bed at 1030. My alarm went off at 2, and I checked my phone app to see what time DH put him down/last fed him. He last ate just before midnight, so when I looked in the bassinet, I wasn't surprised to find him sound asleep. I shut off my alarm, and decided to let him wake me when he needed to eat.

He did.

At 5am!!!

Sure, I woke up a few times during the night, but essentially, he slept from midnight to 5, and I slept from 1030 to 5am! That hasn't happened since, heck, I was probably 5 months pregnant!

I got up to feed him this morning at 5, he ate like a champ (holy engorgement!), and then we played for a bit, and he napped in my lap then I put him down and pumped. He woke up again a bit after 8, and ate, fell asleep, and now he is sleeping in his bouncy seat. I pumped again (yay!), got all my chores done (laundry put away from yesterday, dishes done, bottles washed, dogs fed, critters fed, kitchen cleaned, baby laundry put away, and lunch made for later).

I am most excited about pumping 2x already today. It's been a challenge to pump more than 2x lately. By the time I feed him (he's a lazy/slow eater), that's about an hour, then we have wake time for a bit, then I need to get him to sleep. All that takes about 2 hours. He'll sleep for an hour or so, then it starts all over again. If I pump after all that is done, I am pumping too close to his next feeding and he doesn't have enough to eat. So usually, I'll pump first thing in the morning after DH feeds him a bottle of EBM, and then not again until either late afternoon or early evening when I know he has another bottle coming. My supply is good, but I'm dealing with a timing issue. Today, though, I managed to feed him and get him down quickly so I could pump both times. I told DH that I need to have a pump a thon this weekend to get our stash back up. We don't have a freezer stash, but always have about 12-20 oz in the fridge that rotates. I would love to have a little in the freezer at least. So, this weekend, I am going to feed, then give him to DH immediately, then pump right away. Even if only for a few min. That should keep my supply up and get us a good little stash.

Ok, the little man is starting to stir, which means that I have about 15 min left before he starts to wake up. I want to chisel through a few more thank you notes, and get another bit done on his birth story before he wakes up. Can't guarantee what the rest of the day will be like after this nap, so need to do it now!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
x

Here are some pics from last night/this morning...

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
March 8th, 2013, 04:29 PM
JennyLee's Avatar TTC #1 after loss
Crazy how different your days are now compared to just a few months ago, huh? That little face is gorgeous
TTC #1 since 1/11, Unexplained Infertility
M/C 2/12
Polyp Removal 11/12
4 failed IUIs

IVF #1
Started stims 9/27
ER 10/8 - 24 eggs, 15 fertilized!
Blast transfer 10/13, 4 snowbabies
Very faint 10/18 (5dp5dt)
Beta #1 10/23 - 339!!!
Beta #2 10/25 - 856!!!
U/S 11/14 - Heart rate 144!

Abigail arrived 6/28/14!

My Belly Pics
March 8th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Nicholle ttc's Avatar TTC our first!
Yay! So glad that little Bax and you and Pat got so much sleep! That's wonderful news. Hopefully he'll continue to sleep well for you! And yes, he is the cutest thing! Love the pics!

Natural cycles-August 2011-July 2012
August 2012-October 2012 clomid and progesterone
November 2012-IUI
December 2012, cysts from IUI, on bcp

January 2013-February 2013, long protocol IVF
15 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized with ICSI
All 7 made it to 5 day transfer, 2 were transferred
Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

May 10, 2013, lap sx, Stage 1 endo

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

FET tentatively scheduled for 10/31/13

Have never seen a bfp.

March 8th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Expecting #1
Wow, great sleep stretch! It will get better everyday. Ember starts with consistent 5 hour stretches then went to 6 and is now sleeping 8 most nights. Good job with getting the pumping in. You should get a nice stash quickly with your plan this weekend.

March 8th, 2013, 10:50 PM
I can't believe he is already a month a half old already.Time sure has flown by.
I don't know if you remember me telling you my issues back when you cohosted ttc #1 as you've had so much going on,I was having problems concieveing because of DH health issues,after a yr of nothing happening and tests done we found out he had 0 sperm count and there was no hope of concieveing on our own.
We decided to go with donor sperm and on Wendsday I had ICI done,I am praying this is my time.
But anyways glad to see you healing from your csection and everything going great with you and Baxter! he is absolutely adorable!
March 9th, 2013, 12:19 AM
Crystallee's Avatar Host of the Dec 2012 PR
He is just getting cuter by the minute! Haha ok so funny story. I googled this: beco gemini vs ergo in google images trying to figure out which I want. About halfway down the first page guess what picture i see! hehehe. Its you and pat from your baby shower from your journal. Made me laugh. How random is that!!!!

Thanks kiliki for my siggie!
March 9th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
He is way too cute!

Glad the sleeping is getting better! The good news is, like Julie said, once they have slept that longer stretch they start doing it more and more for longer and longer. Sean had a sleep regression for a few weeks, but is now back to his normal good-sleeping self.

March 10th, 2013, 04:58 PM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
Yay for getting a good night sleep! Bax is sooo cute Keep sharing pics.

Forever missing my angel 2010

March 16th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Cait&AngelAbove's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Karin I love your new siggy!!!!!

Thank you so much Bokkechick for the perfect siggie!!!
12-10-10 2-6-12
March 18th, 2013, 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cait&AngelAbove View Post
Karin I love your new siggy!!!!!
Thanks! It took me forever to request one but it was so worth the wait!

7 weeks 6 days
Wow, my little man will be 8 weeks old tomorrow! I can't believe it!

Things are going well and routine may be starting to take shape. We have been trying different things at night and one big thing we think we learned is that he sleeps far better in his crib than his bassinet. A number of things could contribute to this: it's warmer in the nursery than our bedroom, the bassinet has solid walls, the crib has a harder mattress, and the crib is roomier. We have been putting him down in his crib the past few nights after doing a trial run for a nap last weekend where he slept so well in his crib. He past 3 nights he has gone to bed before midnight, and twice around 1030 which is so not normal for him. Saturday night he went down just before midnight and slept through the night... Until 7am! It was heavenly! Of course now its the middle of the night and I'm up feeding him but he still went down at 1030 and slept until 330 - so getting better. He is just so fussy in the evenings. We have started trying a bath and we can't tell if that makes it better or worse. Either way, he is clean

Other than that, things are going well. We are going on more and outings. We actually went out to breakfast at a real restaurant yesterday! He did great, made us feel like we are getting back to some semblance of a new normal. I have nursed in public several times, mostly at the Park, and am pretty comfortable with it.

He is growing! Can't guess weight but he is just now starting to outgrow his newborn jammies! He is on my lap now in his first 0-3 sleeper! He is just about to outgrow his sleep sack swaddle too. The next size up (in two different brands) is still a little big and I worry about it coming up over his face so we are just dressing him warmer. He hasn't been swaddled in a blanket for some time now. He never kept his arms inside anyway. But the sleep sack swaddle he loved. His body was swaddled but his arms were out. It's just a little short for him now.

His hair is getting longer too. When its wet it appears to have a little curl to it...or a lot actually. I am SO hoping he has DHs perfect hair. His hair is soft, shiny, dark brown and ringlets. DH has very long hair and we want Bax to grow his out as well yep, we're those people.

He is starting to vocalize a bit more each day, he is noticing and reacting to toys more and more and he loves to smile. Melts my heart every time!

Ok the little champ is back asleep in my lap so I should get back to bed! Here's hoping he transfer from lap to crib is uneventful!

xx

March 18th, 2013, 11:50 AM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

Glad you're getting into a routine

March 18th, 2013, 04:55 PM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
I love the new siggy. Soooo cute

Great update too!

Forever missing my angel 2010

March 20th, 2013, 04:35 AM
8 weeks 1 day

I shouldn't jinx this but its 4am and I'm up for is first feeding since we put him to bed around 11! We are starting to learn his triggers and how to combat them before bedtime. The first, we think, was his liking the crib/nursery better than bassinet/bedroom. He has been in his crib all night every night for almost a week now. I don't like not having him next to me but he is truly sleeping better and to be honest, so am I. I have a video monitor so I can check him easily anytime. Secondly, we are now discovering that he gets overstimulated easily at night. So right after we eat, we take him upstairs, dim the lights and put on some calming music. We are uncertain if a warm bath is good or bad. Jury is out on that one. We are trying to get him into a routine and it gets better each day. It still takes time at night for him to unwind and go through all our bedtime things (nursing, diaper, jammies, book/reading, and bottle) because he still needs cuddles and soothing after that to get to sleep fully. But it's getting better and we are hoping that with consistency in our routine, along with us removing the stimulation, we will make progress.

This afternoon DH took off work because we have random things to do, mainly he needs to get the title for his pick up truck from DMV. We have been debating selling it for a year and we are getting closer so wanted to be sure to have the title. Before we sell it we just need to find a way for us to keep my Jeep for him to drive (I'm not giving it up entirely) and still get me my "mommy" car. My jeep is great but its not the easiest with a carseat and stroller. We want DH to drive that and get me something a little more kid friendly. We are set on something particular but we still need to workout the finances ( since DH truck is paid off we would be adding a substantial payment). We already have my car payment and also payments on 1 of our 4 bikes (thankfully the other 3 are paid). We are hoping to also make it to the bank today to talk about some options. We also just realized this past weekend while doing paperwork that we never picked up Baxter's birth certificate, so we are doing that today as well.

Baxter is going well. He is now officially into size 1 diapers (he teetered between NB and 1s for a bit). The 1s are still a bit big but he NBs are far too small. He is just starting to dabble in 0-3 month clothes too. Part of me wants him to have new things to wear but part of me wants to keep him in his NB stuff as long as we can. It's just a reality check that he is growing up too fast! Last night we realized that he only has very limited time left in his NB footed jammies. Sleep sacks are the issue right now. The NB are too small and the S are too big. We are just dressing him extra warm until he grows into the smalls.

I think that's about it. We are starting to plan our trip home with him in July. It's my dads 70th birthday so we are going home for that, plus to see all family and friends. We are going to do is baptism while we are there also. Should be a fun, yet busy, trip!

I guess that's all my news for now. He is almost done eating anyway then it's back to bed for a couple hours (I hope!)

xx

March 20th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like sleep is getting better, yay! And seems like he's growing well, which is great!

Baby girl born Feb 2013

March 22nd, 2013, 05:24 AM
Expecting #1
I'm glad you are getting into a good nighttime routine. Ember used to be up until 1230 and now we got we bedtime to 1030-11 and still working on getting earlier every night. It's a work in progress as I think I have a night owl. Sounds like Bax is the same way. Good luck!

I was the same way the NB clothes! I just didn't want her to be in 0-3 months stuff just yet eve though I had tons of cute outfits and only a few in NB size. Your little man is growing and is nice and healthy!

March 23rd, 2013, 03:53 AM
Two months! (+1 day)

Wow, two months! I can't believe it! Our little boy is growing up too fast. Just the other day I was telling a friend how I already miss the newborn stage!

It's 330 am and I am up feeding. He woke up around 215, having gone to bed at 1030...not a 6 hour night like last night, but I won't complain. He has been consistently going to bed by 1030ish so I will take any consistency I can get. The bedtime routine seems to be helping.

Yesterday he was fussy all day, I couldn't get him to nap for more than 30 min each time. He usually has a good long morning nap then a decent but shorter afternoon one. Both were about 25 min. Finally around 5 he took a longer one. I thought for sure he would be all messed up but thankfully not.

He is cooing a lot more these days. He loves to have "conversations" with us, especially DH. So cute. He is growing more and more. This weekend we are starting the process of packing up much of his NB wardrobe and washing his 0-3 clothes. Right now its mostly jammies that are too small but the rest is soon to follow. Am so curious as to his weight and length but his 2 month well check isn't until April 3. Seems odd to be so far from his 2 month date but the ped assured me it was ok, timing-wise. He is on vacation until then. Of course I could go to another ped, but Bax really seems calm around his so I don't want to mess with that,, especially for his first shots.

I am happy to report that I finally have been able to start my freezer stash! I was so worried because most days I can only pump 2x (and that's still the case right now most days). It doesn't really bother me because I am still feeding him directly from the breast, and I don't have a going back to work situation where I need the stash, but I know I would feel better with some frozen. It's just been working out where his sleep timing and bed timing has been causing him to take fewer bottles from DH and more from me so we are going through our expressed milk more slowly. I've only been freezing for a few days and we already have 41oz frozen! Very pleased with that.

I literally just changed his diaper and he just pooped. Crikey! On a related note, we just took apart the huge diaper cake we got from DH work. I wanted to wait until we could sit him next to it for a photo, and since we really didn't need anything in it right away, there was no rush we finally did that last weekend. We are getting great use out of the diapers for sure

Guess that's about all on Bax. I am doing well. I am down below my pre-pregnancy weight by 4 lbs but still above my weight when we started fertility meds (I gained 11 lbs on those alone). So, I have about 6-7 lbs left to get back to pre-fertility treatment weight. Even now, though, I am very pleased with where I am, weight-wise. I mostly need to work on toning my mid section. It's all flabby and such. I am still sore some days but its improving.

All in all, can't complain. I love being a mommy
blueeyes25s and Jen@FirsAve like this.

March 23rd, 2013, 04:01 AM
Crystallee's Avatar Host of the Dec 2012 PR
Wub this update. I'm up to. Toothies over here lol. Glad everything is going so well

Thanks kiliki for my siggie!
March 23rd, 2013, 10:57 PM
BabyBirdies's Avatar over the rainbow?
So glad things are going well

Thanks Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
My fertility blog: Only Infertile

NTNP since March 2012, TTC since August 2012, HSG = one blocked tube, SA = normal, 1st RE 7/11 - took a zillion tests, 2nd RE appt = Tubal issue with PCOS tendencies, possible polyp, August 2013 - possible polyp, September 2013 - new job, insurance change! January 2014 - new insurance, March 2014 - new RE appointment, then surprise BFP!

March 24th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Thanks ladies

My update this morning is short. It's 545am. Scooter went to bed last night at 1030pm. He just woke up for the first time. This is officially his longest sleep---7 hrs 15 min!

March 24th, 2013, 10:22 AM
ohfiddleheads's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi! Just lurking to see how you and Baxter are doing. I was casually following your TTC journey and pregnancy and I'm so excited that you finally got your wee one

That's awesome you have a milk stash. Mine was small (and now it's gone ), but dang I was proud of what I had. I wasn't big on pumping though.
Isn't the cooing simply amazing?? It was my favorite part of around that age. Now she's vocal ALL the time, lol.

Anyhoo, I'm so glad things are going well. They grow so fast, don't they?

Hannah Elizabeth born June 30, 2012
via Cesarean due to breech presentation
7 lbs 15 oz, 20.5 in

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search