Karin & Scooter's Journal - BIRTH STORY (FINALLY!)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree430Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC #1 Grads Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Caught up! I have been MIA from JM for a while with my crazy, hectic life of William working and Jack in daycare, and Jack sick 60% of the time since he's been in daycare, and house guests, and just busy at work! Whew!

So jealous of your good sleeper. Jack has still never slept longer than 6 hours at once (and that was only three times) despite trying EVERYTHING. From cradle to crib to cosleeping to massage and different lotions to bath and feeding solids before bed and swaddling and not swaddling and white noise and night lights and no lights and... It's great that you're establishing a routine. Jack definitely has a routine, and I'm happy that he sleeps from 7-8pm until 5-6am. He just wakes up in between.

Congrats on the freezer stash too. I know how hard it is to build it up when you aren't an overproducer of milk. That must be a very good feeling.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
March 26th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Crystallee's Avatar Host of the Dec 2012 PR
yaaaaaaaaay long sleeper! :0

Thanks kiliki for my siggie!
March 27th, 2013, 05:11 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
2 months 5 days

Not terribly much to update but thought I would anyway (mostly just trying to stay awake while feeding him at 440am). Things are going well. He is getting more into a routine, and we are too. I think he is going to be one of those babies that needs a schedule. It doesn't have to be strict, but there needs to be something. As soon as we started keeping things more the same each day, he has gotten better and better. He hardly ever fusses during the day, almost always happy. He gets up between 6-7 and eats the. Back to sleep for an hour or two. Eats again around 10, plays and naps, up again and eating 1230-1. Then a longer play and a long afternoon nap. We found that this is the hardest nap to get him down for but also the most necessary. On e down, he will sleep from 2-4 hours. If he misses this nap or goes too short, he is a terror in the evening from being overtired. When DH gets home at 6 he has playtime until 7, then I feed him while DH cooks dinner. We eat, then I usually nurse him once more. Then DH takes him and cuddles and tops him off with bottle and a story before bed. Every other night we put a bath in there right after our dinner too. We have started to notice, though, that he is becoming increasingly reluctant to take a bottle. He used to get one around 530am then around 10pm when DH was doing those feeds when he was waking up more in the night. Now that he is sleeping more, he doesn't usually get up at 2am, rather around 4, so the 530 bottle has gone away. Then the last nursing time changed so it was closer to his bedtime, so he hasn't been thrilled with a bottle so closely following boobie. We really don't want him to lose his flexibility, so we are working to get him back to bottle comfort. We are replacing the last feeding at night with a full bottle. He fussed a lot last night but took in over 6oz. He has been consistently getting to bed by 1030 each night, which is huge. Another week or two of this and then we will start slowly inching it earlier. Ideally I would love him in bed by 8-9. We will get there.

As his routine has taken shape I think that has helped him nurse even better. Seems like my milk supply has gotten better the last few weeks. I am still only pumping on average 2x a day, but able to pump an a stage of about 10-12 oz per day. Since he has only been having a small evening bottle that's allowed me to build a small stash. We probably have about 60oz frozen now.

What else? Hmmm. MIL is coming to visit in a couple weeks. Excited for that, I love MIL. My parents are also trying to plan a trip out. My dad hasn't met him in person yet so I'm excited. We do FaceTime with both sets of parents at least once a week though. It's really nice to help their recognition, since they all live so far away.

Bax has his 2 month well check and vax next week. Really looking forward to getting an updated height and weight. He is almost entirely out of his NB clothes now though I'm still putting him into his favorite pants (L'oved Baby). They are fine in the waist/butt but are too short. I just love them too much! Good news, though, I ordered the 0-3 size and they arrive today

We will probably head out to the Park today too. It's supposed to be nice and I like to get him there at least once a week. I am taking advantage of the weather now because once summer hits it will be too hit to go during the day for too long so our trips will need to be either early or later or just short. The desert temps are just too hot. Unfortunately the Park is super crowded this week due to spring break. But, I don't want to skip it. It's good for both of us.

Last bit of news, which I will elaborate more on later since Baxter is asleep in my lap and I want to go back to bed! Y'all know I have 2 geriatric dogs -- Max (17 yrs) & Peanut (16 yrs). Well, it's looking like Max needs to go live with Molly over the rainbow bridge. He is very old, totally blind, missing one eye, deaf, missing toes and teeth, but most critically, suffers from a severe case of CCD - canine cognitive disorder. Basically dementia. He has been in declining health for the past year and moreso with each passing month. The past few weeks he has become increasingly bad, with the last few weeks of him having probably only about 10-15 minutes of lucidity each day. He is disoriented, confused, vacant, and frustrated. The past few days he has taken a turn for the worse and we have seen several days with zero lucid moments at all. He is showing less interest in food too. I went to our vet yesterday and talked with them and explained that it was his time. His quality of life is gone. When I look in his eye, I don't see Max any longer and for a dog who used to thrive on licking everyone, he can barely muster a small kiss on my nose these days. It's time and we know it. Looks like Saturday is the day, so DH can be with me. I am at peace with it but it will be hard nonetheless. I got Max when he was 8 weeks old and he is now 17 years old...he's been with me through a lot and I am going to miss him horrifically but it's his time and we know it.

Ok I need to put this monkey back in his crib and get a few more hours of sleep!

xx

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
March 27th, 2013, 05:19 AM
Nicholle ttc's Avatar TTC our first!
Thanks for the update Karin. So glad that Bax is doing so well!

I'm so sorry about Max. Like you said, it sounds like it is time. Of course, it still hurts, but he'll be with Molly. GL on Saturday. My T&Ps are with you.

Natural cycles-August 2011-July 2012
August 2012-October 2012 clomid and progesterone
November 2012-IUI
December 2012, cysts from IUI, on bcp

January 2013-February 2013, long protocol IVF
15 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized with ICSI
All 7 made it to 5 day transfer, 2 were transferred
Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

May 10, 2013, lap sx, Stage 1 endo

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

FET tentatively scheduled for 10/31/13

Have never seen a bfp.

March 27th, 2013, 09:22 AM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So sorry about Max It is always hard to lose a pet, but at least you love him enough to know when it's his time. At least he will no longer be suffering and can spend his days with his Molly!

Hooray for a schedule!! I do have to say--we used to get Jordan to bed really late, and rather than "easing" into an earlier bedtime, I kind of just went with it one day to see what would happen. So instead of Jordan getting to bed around 9/10pm (or later!), I started putting him down between 7 and 8. At first he would wake up about an hour later to eat and then go back to sleep, but after a few days he stopped doing that and has been going to bed at this time ever since. Just throwing that out there

But I agree--the late afternoon/early evening naps are essential!!! If Jordan doesn't nap between getting home around 4:30 and bedtime around 7:30, then he is a terror all night! Although his naps are not nearly as long as Baxter's--you'll find that the nap time lessens significantly throughout the months, and there is much more time for play (and less time to get things done around the house... )

Also, totally jealous of your freezer stash!! I still cannot seem to get one going, no matter how much I've tried We still only have about 9 oz frozen. I think when Jordan eats more solids that will be my only chance to pump and freeze more!

March 27th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Way too much loss in this group right now.

I guess I am alone in liking Sean to go to bed later! DH goes to bed so early we don't get the couple time anyways and Sean sleeps until 8/9 if he goes to bed 9/10. Babies and kids do so well with a routine. So glad you're finding one that works for you!

March 27th, 2013, 01:12 PM
So sorry to hear about Max.

The bottle thing... not sure if you'd be having the same issue or not, but I just thought I'd throw it out there. Jackson took a certain kind of bottle just fine early on and for quite a while. Then he started pretty much just BF and only the occasional bottle, and he started rejecting the same kind of bottle altogether. We had to switch to a different kind of bottle, and he's had no problem going back and forth since then. I don't know if things change when they grow and they just want something else because I know several women who went through the same thing with their babies.

Glad Bax is doing so well, though, and your routine is worked out.

March 27th, 2013, 01:13 PM
So sorry to hear about Max.

The bottle thing... not sure if you'd be having the same issue or not, but I just thought I'd throw it out there. Jackson took a certain kind of bottle just fine early on and for quite a while. Then he started pretty much just BF and only the occasional bottle, and he started rejecting the same kind of bottle altogether. We had to switch to a different kind of bottle, and he's had no problem going back and forth since then. I don't know if things change when they grow and they just want something else because I know several women who went through the same thing with their babies.

Glad Bax is doing so well, though, and your routine is worked out.

March 27th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by junie22 View Post
Yep, I suggested this to DH last night actually. Before he was born we bought 3 types of bottles: born free, dr browns, and tommee tippee. Plus I got one free avent one. He vehemently rejected the TT bottles from day one, loved the born free and dr browns, tolerated avent. We are going to give the TT bottles a try again, and the avent, to see if we get the same or similar results.

March 27th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Jackson really likes Tommee Tippee now.

At daycare, they were having issues with him taking a bottle. It was really their issue, not his, since he still takes TT just fine for us. However, they had a ton of success with the Lansinoh mOmma bottles. They said that anytime they encounter a baby who rejects a bottle, they use the mOmma and always have success.

March 27th, 2013, 01:32 PM
I just read about those somewhere...I might give them a try!

March 27th, 2013, 01:33 PM
They sent one home with us, and DH used it. Jackson sucked the milk down!

March 27th, 2013, 06:12 PM
I had an Amazon order to place and they had a mOmma bottle as an add on item for $5 so I got it. Will be here Friday! Here's hoping!
Mom2JDub likes this.

March 28th, 2013, 04:37 AM
I love when this boy sleeps! About 11 to 4 today! Getting better and more consistent!

Oh and we tried the Tommee Tippee bottles again. Same result=denied! He just hates them for some reason. Looking forward to trying the mOmma bottle on Friday!

Oh and we tried the Tommee Tippee bottles again. Same result=denied! He just hates them for some reason. Looking forward to trying the mOmma bottle on Friday!

March 28th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Good luck with mOmma. Something's gotta give!

March 30th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Got our mOmma yesterday. Will try it tomorrow!

Its 530 am and Scooter has been feeding on my left for almost an hour. I totally lost track of time as I sit here and catch up on JM! He is pretty much sound asleep and won't unlatch

We are doing really well with his night routine. He has been in bed consistently by 1030 every night. Last night he had a hard time going down for some reason, but was still asleep by 1130. He is sleeping about 4-5 hours most nights. Very happy about that but it has thrown off our feeding routine. I still do the middle of night feedings but since those are later and later, and are more now like early morning feedings, DH doesn't get to do the early morning bottle before he goes to work. No biggie but he misses that time with him. I try and hand him over as soon as he gets home from work but its always just a matter of a short while before he needs to eat again so he's back to me. He is still giving him the last bottle of the night and getting him to sleep but unfortunately his fussy period is that same time.

He grows more each day. We are almost entirely in 3 month clothes though some of his NB onesies still fit. Totally depends on the brand. I'm learning that, much to my dismay, Carter's clothes only fit him for a short window. He has been outgrowing the 0-3 jammies almost already! Little Me and Kushies seem to fit the best right now.

April will be a fun month. My MIL is coming for a long weekend in mid April and my parents are coming. Out for about 5 days near the end of the month. This will be the first time my dad meets Baxter in person! We do FaceTime a lot, though, so he has been able to see him often. I'm really looking forward to both visits. We are in the planning stages of a trip home to Chicago in July. It's my dads 70th birthday and mom is throwing a big party. We are also going to do his baptism when we are home and likely host a brunch or lunch following. It will be good to be back in Chicago since we didn't make it home for the holidays this past year.

No real plans for Easter. We will probably go to brunch at the Safari Park

In my last but of news, please send some good thoughts this way, if you can. We are just a few hours away from saying goodbye to Max. I am very very sad, even though I know it's the right thing. It's time. He just isn't in there any longer. I have been feeding him yummy meals lately. Last night was a hamburger, some blackened chicken, and a bit of bacon. I think his breakfast will be some yummy eggs. I am still undecided as to what role I will play -- if I will be present for the entire procedure or not. I am dealing with the possibility of some serious guilt if I am not with him in his final moments. I don't know if I could deal with feeling like I abandoned him in his neediest moments. It will be a hard decision to make. DH will be with him throughout no matter what, but even DH says he doesn't know how I feel exactly. He has known Max since we got together (7 ish years) but I have had him since he was 8 weeks old -- 17 years ago. But I know he will be happy to be his old self again and reunite with Molly and his other son, Chico (Peanut's brother, lived with my ex's brother). Today will be a sad day. I will be curious to see how Peanut handles it. They are such chums. For those if you with furbabies, give them an extra snuggle today.

That's all for now. Happy weekend!

March 30th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Expecting #1
Will be thinking about you today! Lots of prayers and hugs going your way!

Glad Bax is sleeping longer. Those night time routines really seem to help! Ember now goes down between 9-10 and before it was 11-1230. It took about 2-3 weeks to transition to the earlier time without any fussy battles. She sleeps 8-10 hours too. I think going to daycare also helped with getting her to bed earlier. I do wish she was up later so I could play and snuggle more before I head to bed, but now DH and I are getting at least an hour of together time every night.

I'm very jealous of your freezer stash! I'm only producing what Ember is eating. Luckily I did store up a few days worth when she wasn't eating as much as she is eating now.

March 30th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Nicholle ttc's Avatar TTC our first!
T&Ps have been sent.

Natural cycles-August 2011-July 2012
August 2012-October 2012 clomid and progesterone
November 2012-IUI
December 2012, cysts from IUI, on bcp

January 2013-February 2013, long protocol IVF
15 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized with ICSI
All 7 made it to 5 day transfer, 2 were transferred
Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

May 10, 2013, lap sx, Stage 1 endo

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

FET tentatively scheduled for 10/31/13

Have never seen a bfp.

March 30th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My thoughts are with you today Karin Even though you know its the right thing to do for Max, I cant imagine how hard it will be to say goodbye. At least he got chance to meet Bax and can tell Molly all about him

Thank you Vicki for my amazing siggie!

March 30th, 2013, 05:30 PM
BabyBirdies's Avatar over the rainbow?
Thinking of you!!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
My fertility blog: Only Infertile

NTNP since March 2012, TTC since August 2012, HSG = one blocked tube, SA = normal, 1st RE 7/11 - took a zillion tests, 2nd RE appt = Tubal issue with PCOS tendencies, possible polyp, August 2013 - possible polyp, September 2013 - new job, insurance change! January 2014 - new insurance, March 2014 - new RE appointment, then surprise BFP!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search