Karin & Scooter's Journal - BIRTH STORY (FINALLY!)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree430Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC #1 Grads Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 31st, 2013, 01:23 AM
Sending My Thoughts and prayers your way for your loss of Max,We just lost one of our fur babies last week,one of our cats became suddenly sick with fip which if a fatal feline disease,nothing the vets could do for her,she died in DH's arms.She was a beautiful white manx.We miss her very much.We also have 2 dogs one is a 4 yr old beagle,the other is a 13 yr old chihuahua,she is starting to have a lot of problems.
But my prayers are with you.
Little Bax is growing so fast!
I had ICI last month with donor sperm because DH has no sperm count,unfortunately it was a BFN. We might try again this month.I am getting so frustrated,but I know one day I will have my miracle baby.
Glad to see you have a routine falling into place and Bax is sleeping longer.
Again My Condolences for your loss off Max.Hang in there,
March 31st, 2013, 01:24 AM
Sending My Thoughts and prayers your way for your loss of Max,We just lost one of our fur babies last week,one of our cats became suddenly sick with fip which if a fatal feline disease,nothing the vets could do for her,she died in DH's arms.She was a beautiful white manx.We miss her very much.We also have 2 dogs one is a 4 yr old beagle,the other is a 13 yr old chihuahua,she is starting to have a lot of problems.
But my prayers are with you.
Little Bax is growing so fast!
I had ICI last month with donor sperm because DH has no sperm count,unfortunately it was a BFN. We might try again this month.I am getting so frustrated,but I know one day I will have my miracle baby.
Glad to see you have a routine falling into place and Bax is sleeping longer.
Again My Condolences for your loss off Max.Hang in there,

Some how it double posted!
March 31st, 2013, 07:36 AM
JennyLee's Avatar TTC #1 after loss
Hope you're doing okay. I've been giving my Max some extra kisses with your Max in my thoughts
TTC #1 since 1/11, Unexplained Infertility
M/C 2/12
Polyp Removal 11/12
4 failed IUIs

IVF #1
Started stims 9/27
ER 10/8 - 24 eggs, 15 fertilized!
Blast transfer 10/13, 4 snowbabies
Very faint 10/18 (5dp5dt)
Beta #1 10/23 - 339!!!
Beta #2 10/25 - 856!!!
U/S 11/14 - Heart rate 144!

Abigail arrived 6/28/14!

My Belly Pics
March 31st, 2013, 12:48 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope Bax is having a great first Easter!

April 1st, 2013, 10:49 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Hope you're doing okay today.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
April 1st, 2013, 01:30 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
9 weeks, 6 days
Hi all. Thanks for all the good thoughts. Saturday was a rough day, but we got through it. DH was with him the whole time, and it wrecked him pretty bad. I opted to say my goodbyes while he was still breathing, and in retrospect, though I'm a little sad I wasn't there for his final moments, I am happy with my decision. We did a lot of cathartic cleaning of the dog room that afternoon. With geriatric dogs, you make some accommodations in your home, and with Max gone, Peanut doesn't need quite as many. So, our dog room has gotten a good deep clean, we moved the couch out of there, and up to the office. We are going to get a futon so we can have an additional place for guests to sleep, and a new cabinet for the record player (yep, we love records).

Peanut is out of sorts. He's sort of been milling around the house looking for Max, and moping the rest of the time. We let him sleep with us the first night, then that went to crap when I got up to feed Bax in the middle of the night. He started jumping around the bed wanting to get off and come with us into the the nursery. Last night, we put him in his dog room, and that lasted until about 3am, for a reason I'll get into in a minute. He slept part of the rest of the night curled up on my Snoogle on the floor in our bedroom, and a nice chunk of later morning in my bed with me.

All in all, it was sad, but I feel so much relief for Max. After it was all said and done, my vet came out to the waiting room, and could barely get words out. He just gave me several hugs, and blubbered his way through some "sorry for your loss" type words. He was also close with Max, and with us, and knows how hard this was for us. The hardest part of the day is that when I went to get Max out of bed in the morning, he was showing glimmers of his old self. He stood up easily, wagged the heck out of his tail, and licked me. He hasn't been like this in months. He was excited for breakfast (eggs!), and wasn't whining at all. Later, our vet said that Max knew what was happening at some level, and we decided that Max took the little energy he had left, used that energy to "come back" to us for a few brief moments to show us that he was happy, and ok. Within about 10 minutes of that lucidity, he regressed back to his sick, confused self. When we were getting ready to leave, Max was in the driveway, trying to go #2. He kept falling down, couldn't really get enough strength to push anything out (sorry, tmi), and it was so sad to see, but I was so happy to see that because it confirmed we were doing the right thing. I took a few last pictures with him in my office at home, and if you are on FB, you might have seen my favorite, with some last kisses from Max. It's sad, but it was time. The house is oddly quiet now, though. Max hasn't barked since he lost his hearing completely a couple years ago, but his constant whining and rattling around always provided ambient background "white" noise, if you will. He would get up several times a day and walk in circles in the office, and his nails clicked on the tile, too. I think he even breathed loud. So, it's just a little quieter here now. We are giving Peanut some extra love and attention, so he should adjust just fine. From Peanut's behaviors in the last few weeks, we think he may have realized that Max wasn't really "there" anymore, and started distancing himself a bit. Who really knows.

In other news...

Our Easter was good. We spent the mid part of the day at the Safari Park, longer than we anticipated, but I was able to nurse Baxter when he got hungry, and that allowed us to stay a bit longer than normal. He did get over stimulated after a bit though, so we left and came home. Then he wouldn't nap. We tried all our tricks, but the most we got him down for was about 20 minutes. In those 20 minutes, we dyed our eggs Mine are all ugly, but it was fun! We ate some leftover casserole for dinner, and then did our normal nighttime routine, including bath for Bax. I nursed him one final time, and he ate better than normal for me, and he ended up falling asleep on my lap around 945. We put him in his crib, expecting he would wake up still hungry, and DH would give him his bottle (DH always gives him his last feed, via bottle). Well, he never woke up! I took my bath, pumped, and we went to bed. I assumed he'd be up around 2-3 for nursing. I woke up at 3am, but not because of him...he was still sound asleep. I woke up with a really upset tummy. Really upset. I woke up DH, and gave him the monitor, and told him to keep an ear out in case he woke up, because I was ill. So, I spent the next couple hours dealing with some unfun GI issues. (I was downstairs, so as not to disturb anyone else, and that bathroom was right outside where Peanut was sleeping, hence, he woke up and cried to be let out, that's why he only slept part of the night in his room).

When DH woke up at 530, Bax was starting to stir, but didn't wake up until 6am. He slept through the ENTIRE night! OF course, the one night he sleeps 8 hours, I wake up sick. So dumb. I crawled back into bed, and couldn't move for being so uncomfy in my tummy. I asked DH if it was critical that he be in the office today, and he said of course not, and I asked if he could stay home to help. I was so weak, I didn't feel I could properly care for Baxter. He fed him his morning bottle, like usual, and he ate 8 oz!!!

Side note: He's been struggling with his bottles lately (mostly Born Free, sometimes Dr Browns). We thought he was changing preference, so we tried the Tommee Tippee again (which he angrily rejected multiple times early on). Still did. On Adrienne's advice, we ordered and tried the Lansinoh mOmma bottle.

HOLY COW. DH said he has NEVER taken a bottle that well.

The bottle is round, and the nipple is crazy smart. I was telling DH a few weeks ago how I was surprised that nobody had designed a nipple that is truly the shape of the real thing. Well, this is as close as I've seen yet. And apparently it works. He ate like a champ. He ate so much, and so well...part of it was because he hadn't eaten in a long time, longer than he's ever gone, but he really ate well out of the new bottle. We are ordering more today! THANK YOU Adrienne, for the suggestion!

So, I checked again with DH, and he said it was all good, so I went back to bed to lie there. I never slept more, but I slowly started to feel better. Problem was, by this time, it was about 9am, and I hadn't nursed since about 9pm last night, and hadn't pumped since 11pm. Holy engorgement. When I went to check with DH earlier about staying home, he said, "um, you need to pump or something". I looked at my shirt and I was leaking through bra and tank. I still felt so crappy, so I went back to bed, but when I got up again, I had to pump or nurse, because I hurt so badly. So I just nursed, even though it wasn't time, he ate a bit, which helped. Then I pumped (about 7oz!), so I feel better.

While I was pumping, he was playing with Baxter, and we started trying to figure out if I was sick or what. I didn't have a fever, and the sore throat I had went away after I got up (must have been mouth breathing). My fear was getting baby sick, but knew that it would be good to nurse or at least get pumped milk from today to get the antibodies from whatever I have, if I was sick. After rattling through all the possibilities, turns out that he had a bit of an upset tummy this morning too, but nothing like mine. We figured it might have been our dinner - leftover casserole - in which the sour cream might have turned bad from the refrigeration/reheating a couple times. My tummy is far more sensitive than his, which is why it affected me much more.

I have been slowly getting better as the day has gone on, but feel dehydrated and a little weak still, so DH stayed home, even though I told him he could go to work if he wanted. He did his meetings from here. We also managed to get Bax down for a morning nap, and he's still asleep! It's been more than 2 1/2 hours!

So, that's been my weekend and Monday. Fun times.

Now, I'm eating a meatball sub that DH just got for us for lunch. How I'm eating this after the tummy troubles I've had is beyond me, but it's yummy.

Hope everyone is having a good Monday!
xx

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
April 1st, 2013, 01:31 PM
9 weeks, 6 days
Hi all. Thanks for all the good thoughts. Saturday was a rough day, but we got through it. DH was with him the whole time, and it wrecked him pretty bad. I opted to say my goodbyes while he was still breathing, and in retrospect, though I'm a little sad I wasn't there for his final moments, I am happy with my decision. We did a lot of cathartic cleaning of the dog room that afternoon. With geriatric dogs, you make some accommodations in your home, and with Max gone, Peanut doesn't need quite as many. So, our dog room has gotten a good deep clean, we moved the couch out of there, and up to the office. We are going to get a futon so we can have an additional place for guests to sleep, and a new cabinet for the record player (yep, we love records).

Peanut is out of sorts. He's sort of been milling around the house looking for Max, and moping the rest of the time. We let him sleep with us the first night, then that went to crap when I got up to feed Bax in the middle of the night. He started jumping around the bed wanting to get off and come with us into the the nursery. Last night, we put him in his dog room, and that lasted until about 3am, for a reason I'll get into in a minute. He slept part of the rest of the night curled up on my Snoogle on the floor in our bedroom, and a nice chunk of later morning in my bed with me.

All in all, it was sad, but I feel so much relief for Max. After it was all said and done, my vet came out to the waiting room, and could barely get words out. He just gave me several hugs, and blubbered his way through some "sorry for your loss" type words. He was also close with Max, and with us, and knows how hard this was for us. The hardest part of the day is that when I went to get Max out of bed in the morning, he was showing glimmers of his old self. He stood up easily, wagged the heck out of his tail, and licked me. He hasn't been like this in months. He was excited for breakfast (eggs!), and wasn't whining at all. Later, our vet said that Max knew what was happening at some level, and we decided that Max took the little energy he had left, used that energy to "come back" to us for a few brief moments to show us that he was happy, and ok. Within about 10 minutes of that lucidity, he regressed back to his sick, confused self. When we were getting ready to leave, Max was in the driveway, trying to go #2. He kept falling down, couldn't really get enough strength to push anything out (sorry, tmi), and it was so sad to see, but I was so happy to see that because it confirmed we were doing the right thing. I took a few last pictures with him in my office at home, and if you are on FB, you might have seen my favorite, with some last kisses from Max. It's sad, but it was time. The house is oddly quiet now, though. Max hasn't barked since he lost his hearing completely a couple years ago, but his constant whining and rattling around always provided ambient background "white" noise, if you will. He would get up several times a day and walk in circles in the office, and his nails clicked on the tile, too. I think he even breathed loud. So, it's just a little quieter here now. We are giving Peanut some extra love and attention, so he should adjust just fine. From Peanut's behaviors in the last few weeks, we think he may have realized that Max wasn't really "there" anymore, and started distancing himself a bit. Who really knows.

In other news...

Our Easter was good. We spent the mid part of the day at the Safari Park, longer than we anticipated, but I was able to nurse Baxter when he got hungry, and that allowed us to stay a bit longer than normal. He did get over stimulated after a bit though, so we left and came home. Then he wouldn't nap. We tried all our tricks, but the most we got him down for was about 20 minutes. In those 20 minutes, we dyed our eggs Mine are all ugly, but it was fun! We ate some leftover casserole for dinner, and then did our normal nighttime routine, including bath for Bax. I nursed him one final time, and he ate better than normal for me, and he ended up falling asleep on my lap around 945. We put him in his crib, expecting he would wake up still hungry, and DH would give him his bottle (DH always gives him his last feed, via bottle). Well, he never woke up! I took my bath, pumped, and we went to bed. I assumed he'd be up around 2-3 for nursing. I woke up at 3am, but not because of him...he was still sound asleep. I woke up with a really upset tummy. Really upset. I woke up DH, and gave him the monitor, and told him to keep an ear out in case he woke up, because I was ill. So, I spent the next couple hours dealing with some unfun GI issues. (I was downstairs, so as not to disturb anyone else, and that bathroom was right outside where Peanut was sleeping, hence, he woke up and cried to be let out, that's why he only slept part of the night in his room).

When DH woke up at 530, Bax was starting to stir, but didn't wake up until 6am. He slept through the ENTIRE night! OF course, the one night he sleeps 8 hours, I wake up sick. So dumb. I crawled back into bed, and couldn't move for being so uncomfy in my tummy. I asked DH if it was critical that he be in the office today, and he said of course not, and I asked if he could stay home to help. I was so weak, I didn't feel I could properly care for Baxter. He fed him his morning bottle, like usual, and he ate 8 oz!!!

Side note: He's been struggling with his bottles lately (mostly Born Free, sometimes Dr Browns). We thought he was changing preference, so we tried the Tommee Tippee again (which he angrily rejected multiple times early on). Still did. On Adrienne's advice, we ordered and tried the Lansinoh mOmma bottle.

HOLY COW. DH said he has NEVER taken a bottle that well.

The bottle is round, and the nipple is crazy smart. I was telling DH a few weeks ago how I was surprised that nobody had designed a nipple that is truly the shape of the real thing. Well, this is as close as I've seen yet. And apparently it works. He ate like a champ. He ate so much, and so well...part of it was because he hadn't eaten in a long time, longer than he's ever gone, but he really ate well out of the new bottle. We are ordering more today! THANK YOU Adrienne, for the suggestion!

So, I checked again with DH, and he said it was all good, so I went back to bed to lie there. I never slept more, but I slowly started to feel better. Problem was, by this time, it was about 9am, and I hadn't nursed since about 9pm last night, and hadn't pumped since 11pm. Holy engorgement. When I went to check with DH earlier about staying home, he said, "um, you need to pump or something". I looked at my shirt and I was leaking through bra and tank. I still felt so crappy, so I went back to bed, but when I got up again, I had to pump or nurse, because I hurt so badly. So I just nursed, even though it wasn't time, he ate a bit, which helped. Then I pumped (about 7oz!), so I feel better.

While I was pumping, he was playing with Baxter, and we started trying to figure out if I was sick or what. I didn't have a fever, and the sore throat I had went away after I got up (must have been mouth breathing). My fear was getting baby sick, but knew that it would be good to nurse or at least get pumped milk from today to get the antibodies from whatever I have, if I was sick. After rattling through all the possibilities, turns out that he had a bit of an upset tummy this morning too, but nothing like mine. We figured it might have been our dinner - leftover casserole - in which the sour cream might have turned bad from the refrigeration/reheating a couple times. My tummy is far more sensitive than his, which is why it affected me much more.

I have been slowly getting better as the day has gone on, but feel dehydrated and a little weak still, so DH stayed home, even though I told him he could go to work if he wanted. He did his meetings from here. We also managed to get Bax down for a morning nap, and he's still asleep! It's been more than 2 1/2 hours!

So, that's been my weekend and Monday. Fun times.

Now, I'm eating a meatball sub that DH just got for us for lunch. How I'm eating this after the tummy troubles I've had is beyond me, but it's yummy.

Hope everyone is having a good Monday!
xx

April 1st, 2013, 01:52 PM
You're hilarious, eating a meatball sub after GI issues! Sounds like something I'd do.

Hope it really was just what you ate and nothing more. A few weeks ago, I had a horribly upset tummy for several hours one night, writhing stomach pain. I am almost certain that it was eggs that had started to go bad in cookie dough I ate. I had made cookies and put the leftover dough in the refrigerator. The next day (probably a little over 24 hours), I decided to make balls and put them in the freezer with the remaining dough. I swiped a big taste, and I could taste the eggs in it. Sometimes I think my taster is off, though, so I didn't think that much of it... until the stomach pain just a few hours later. Thank goodness I didn't eat a lot of it.

You made me cry when I read about Max. I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye, but I'm glad you've found peace in it. I hope everyone adjusts to the new normal soon.

And, perhaps, STTN will be Bax's new normal!

April 1st, 2013, 04:13 PM
Glad your Easter went as well as could be expected. I honestly feel that in some respects we treat animals better than humans when it comes to the end of the life.

I hope your tummy feels better soon! And that Bax sleeps through the night more often! I could also see myself eating a meatball sub in that situation! Sometimes the taste buds rule.

April 1st, 2013, 05:58 PM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to post sooner but I am so sorry about Max. It sounds like you made the right decision. Reading about it made me tear up; I just know how hard it is to lose a pet

I hope by tomorrow you are feeling 100% and yay for Bax to be sleeping more at night!!!

Forever missing my angel 2010

April 1st, 2013, 06:17 PM
Oh, yeah, I also meant to add that I'm glad the mOmma bottle worked so well!

April 2nd, 2013, 09:14 AM
Expecting #1
I am so sorry about Max, but it really sounds like you made the right decision. Love your picture on facebook and that you got to capture that amazing momment.

Tummy troubles are no fun! I had a horribly upset stomach the other night and I could tell Ember had some belly ache as well. Gripe water worked for her and a good nights sleep helped me. Hopefully it was just something you ate and you are feeling better now.

Oh the joys of STTN! Its awesome, but the first few times are uncomfortable! The leaking will stop after a few days, but the hardness and tingly feeling is still there, at least it is for me. After I put Ember to bed, I pump again between 10-11 and then I wake up at 645ish AM and pump and get 8-10 oz. My biggest pump of the day! I dont nurse in the morning anymore because I need to drain myself and then get ready for work. Ember wakes at 8 and we give her a bottle, which she sucks down pretty quickly and then its off to take her to school.

I have also wondered why there isnt a bottle nipple that is shaped closer to the real thing. I thought the calma by medela would be closer, but that nipple has an odd shape. I will have to look into those mOmma bottles too.

April 2nd, 2013, 09:21 AM
Nicholle ttc's Avatar TTC our first!
So sorry that you got sick. GI issues are horrible. Like you and Adrienne, I would also eat a sub right after having GI issues! Sounds like you are feeling a bit better, though!

Of course, Bax sleeps through the one night you get sick!

Again, so sorry about Max. It really sounds like he knew it was his time and was ready to go. But of course it still hurts....

Natural cycles-August 2011-July 2012
August 2012-October 2012 clomid and progesterone
November 2012-IUI
December 2012, cysts from IUI, on bcp

January 2013-February 2013, long protocol IVF
15 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized with ICSI
All 7 made it to 5 day transfer, 2 were transferred
Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

May 10, 2013, lap sx, Stage 1 endo

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

FET tentatively scheduled for 10/31/13

Have never seen a bfp.

April 3rd, 2013, 09:26 AM
10 weeks, 1 day - vax day!

Finally, Baxter's 2 month well check and vax are today.

We originally scheduled his appointment later than normal because he pediatrician was out of the office last week. Yesterday, we got a call that our appointment was cancelled because our ped was out of the office until May 8??? We called to reschedule, and we are still going today, but seeing another ped in the practice, which is ok. I would have liked Bax to see his regular doctor, since he is so calm with him, but I learned yesterday that the NP is the one who does the vax anyway, so it might not have mattered.

Now, the question will be...what does my afternoon look like afterwards?? I know the after effects can range anywhere from sleepy to cuddly to fussy to pain to pissed. So, we will know in a few hours!

Yesterday, all he wanted to do was be held and nurse...and that's how I spent the better part of the day. I got nothing done, and I'm sort of not expecting to today either. Oh well, such is baby life!

I'm mostly curious to know how much he weighs. Since we struggled so much with weight gain when he was younger, I'm always very conscious of his weight. We haven't properly weighed him in a while, since his last visit which was in Feb, but I can tell he is gaining weight and length. He's outgrown all of his NB clothes, and even a few of his 0-3 sleepers already! He is going #1 and #2 perfectly normally, so I'm not worried, but I'm really curious. We shall see!

Happy Wednesday!

April 3rd, 2013, 10:04 AM
Nicholle ttc's Avatar TTC our first!
GL today! Hopefully Bax will want lots of cuddles today too!

Natural cycles-August 2011-July 2012
August 2012-October 2012 clomid and progesterone
November 2012-IUI
December 2012, cysts from IUI, on bcp

January 2013-February 2013, long protocol IVF
15 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized with ICSI
All 7 made it to 5 day transfer, 2 were transferred
Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

May 10, 2013, lap sx, Stage 1 endo

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

FET tentatively scheduled for 10/31/13

Have never seen a bfp.

April 3rd, 2013, 01:30 PM
We are home, and he did fine. He was a gem before hand, and during his exam. He is 12lbs 5oz (37%ile), and 24 inches long (77%ile) - tall & skinny! He checked out just fine. He did ok for shots, screamed for about 5 seconds, but that was it. We are home now, and he fell asleep in the car, and he is sound asleep, so I've still got him in his car seat. He is supposed to have a meal by now, but I'm just going to play today by ear. I figure, once he wakes up, he'll be a fussing fusser for the rest of the day. Poor guy.

April 3rd, 2013, 01:41 PM
BabyBirdies's Avatar over the rainbow?
Hope he does well today!! Glad he is growing and gaining well!!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
My fertility blog: Only Infertile

NTNP since March 2012, TTC since August 2012, HSG = one blocked tube, SA = normal, 1st RE 7/11 - took a zillion tests, 2nd RE appt = Tubal issue with PCOS tendencies, possible polyp, August 2013 - possible polyp, September 2013 - new job, insurance change! January 2014 - new insurance, March 2014 - new RE appointment, then surprise BFP!

April 3rd, 2013, 01:52 PM
Glad everything went well and Bax is growing so well!

April 3rd, 2013, 03:17 PM
Glad it went well and that Bax is growing so well! That's strange about the difference in percentiles. I thought Sean was about the same weight at his 2 month checkup and I looked back. He was 12.7lbs and around 50%ile. Sean was 23.5" and his online chart says that's about 63%, although at the time I was told 75%. My doctor said they just changed to the WHO charts so maybe that's the discrepancy? Either way, he's right on track because he's about the same size Sean was!

Glad he did well with his shots!

April 3rd, 2013, 03:31 PM
It definitely depends on which chart your doctor uses. The updated WHO charts are supposed to be a better tool, as I believe they sort of take into account breastfed babies rather than a lopsided formula-fed chart. I always compare what my doctor says with the charts here: http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/en/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search