A Baby Journal for Jackson

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree189Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC #1 Grads Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 27th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Karin - I meant to post earlier, but we have that fleece vest set for Jackson, too, in 9-month. I love it. Scooter and Jack could be cute little matching buddies.

4 months & 18 days old

It's been way too long since I posted. I suppose being home with both my boys keeps me distracted from JM. William just took Jack out for a walk, and I'm supposed to be doing some chores around the house. However, I figured I should get on here and post an update instead.

I enjoyed my first week of vacation and still have 12 days left. I am super-tired, though, because Jack has reverted. He's still never slept through the night, but I could handle a 1:00 and 4:00 wake-up. For the past four nights, though, he's been waking up six times between 9:00pm and 6:00am. It's been incredibly rough for me. I'm zapped but very grateful that I'm not at work. Last night, DH slept in the guest bedroom because he was worried that his snoring was waking up Jack. Well, that was clearly not the problem because Jack had the same sleeping pattern again. It could definitely be a growth spurt, as he's been eating a lot at night and during the day. Still...

DH says that I toss and turn a lot, but I'm not sure if it's my tossing and turning waking Jack up or if Jack's waking up is causing me to toss and turn (I think it's the latter). So today I bought an iPod dock/speaker for Jack's room. It should arrive in a couple of days, thanks to Amazon Prime. The plan for this weekend is to crank some Enya (more on that to follow) in his room and see how well he sleeps on his own. I'm not a fan of this happening so soon because I really wanted him in our room for the first 6 months. However, the Snuza does give me peace of mind. As it stands, he frequently doesn't even want to sleep in his cradle. He might stay in it just fine until the 1 o'clock hour or he might wake up within ten minutes and be upset. It just depends on the night. More often than I would like, he ends up in bed with me. I vowed to never co-sleep, but it's sometimes the only way that he and I can both get a little shuteye. However, I end up stiff in the morning because I subconsciously know not to move a hair while he's next to me. Anyway, I don't have a ton of hope that sleeping in his crib will work out this weekend, but it's worth a shot.

Jack is rolling over a lot more frequently. He always rolls from back to belly when I put him down for the night, but that's about the only time he's cared to roll. So in the past week, he's been rolling more in general when we play with him on the floor. He's becoming even more vocal, making new sounds. We've also been concentrating on not calling him "buddy," so hopefully he'll be responding to "Jack" soon enough. He's also sitting better and better on his own in the tripod position. If I sit him in between the arms of the Boppy, he will sit well for a pretty long time. If we put him in his rocker or car seat or even just prop him against a pillow or on the Boppy, he will try to do a crunch to sit himself up. So I started letting him hold onto my fingers and then just help him a little during his crunches. He loves to sit up that way.

He is also a raspberry-blowing maniac! He has been doing it for a while, just sporadically. Now it's one of his favorite things to do. Perhaps because he's drooling so much. He blows really big bubbles with that spit. He's an outright giggle machine too. Last night, he actually kept making himself giggle, which was a first. Usually, he only giggles at silly things we do. He was playing with a ball that my sister gave him for Christmas. He had it gripped in both hands and he was shaking it forward and backward, making the ball inside rattle. He would giggle every time he would return it to his mouth. It was so cute. I wish I would have gotten it on video, but I was worried that I would distract him if I got up to get the camera. So I just enjoyed the moment.

He loves his jumperoo more and more, as his feet now touch the floor without using a pillow. He goes WILD in that thing. DH and I can't really watch him when he's in it because we get so dizzy.

William has discovered that Enya totally knocks out Jack within minutes when they are in the car. Jack hates being confined and has never been a fan of the car seat or car. If he's really sleepy, he'll fall asleep with the motion of the car. If he's not sleepy to start, though, he'll whine or cry the whole time he's in the car. One time, William just thought he'd give Enya a shot, and Jack went from crying to sleeping within a couple of minutes. He's done it several times now, so that's why we want to try it out in the nursery.

I'm sure I'm missing some things, but that's what's on the top of my head right now in terms of fun stuff Jack does.

William and I have been tag-teaming to get chores done around the house, so we've been able to put a dent in quite a few household projects and hope to get a lot more accomplished before I head back to work. We want to refinance our house, so it just seems like a good time to finish up quite a few things that we've avoided since Jack was born.

I've also been squeezing in pumping when I can, and I have 40 ounces in the freezer so far. Not great, but it's getting there. I'm going to start taking the Motherlove More Milk Plus again, now that Jack's diaper rash has cleared up. I am thinking it was all just a coincidence now, especially since his rash really presented like a yeast infection. The Nystatin seemed to really do the trick in treating it. If it was a food-related rash, I wouldn't think that Nystatin would have made a difference (since it's prescribed for yeast infections). So hopefully I can take Motherlove without bothering the little guy.

William has had a couple of interviews since I've been off work too. He didn't think he would have any luck even trying to apply for jobs until January, but a couple of companies have contacted him. He had a good interview last week with a company that is really close to home. He even went in for a final interview with the president. He feels pretty confident about it, but they said they probably wouldn't make their decision until January, for a start date of 1/21. If offered the job, though, he will most likely not take it. He said that he just wasn't "feeling" it, and it's a bit of a salary decrease.

Yesterday, he had an interview with another company and goes back for a second interview tomorrow. The salary range is much more appealing, but it would be a 35-mile commute. The only good part of that, though, is that it's 35 miles against traffic. It only took him 45 minutes to get there yesterday, which is a big improvement from driving 35 miles in the opposite direction.

He really wants to stay home with Jackson for at least several more months, so he's torn when it comes to job-seeking. He just didn't think that opportunities would pop up so quickly. I told him that I won't pressure him to take a job that he's not crazy about. However, I think he'll have a hard time passing up this latter opportunity if he is the candidate they select. The starting salary range goes up to $15K more than he was making. So it would be pretty difficult to turn it down.

Jack's first Christmas was great! He was really good for his daddy so I could make lunch and even a pie. I didn't get to eat any of the pie, though, because it was chocolate cream. I'm avoiding dairy, and, well, chocolate cream pie is pretty much only dairy. I did take a couple bites of the chocolate filling, and it was rich and delicious. William is definitely enjoying it.

The little guy enjoyed most of his presents. A lot of them have music and lights, so that definitely grabs his attention. His favorites so far are a simple ball that's easy for a baby to grasp and plastic trucks from Fisher Price. Most of the other gifts are best for 6 months+, so I'm sure he'll love them with time. My dad bought him My Pal Scout, but we already received it as a shower gift. I didn't have the heart to tell him, so I just told him that we love it. I'm going to return it and buy some other little things for Jack instead.

Of all our family members (parents, brothers, and sisters), my mom was the only one not to send Jack gifts. She told me that she bought some stuff but just hadn't gotten a chance to go to the post office. It's so bogus, considering everyone else was able to do it. It's not even about the presents, as Jack doesn't give a darn. It's just the principle of the matter. It's not surprising, though, since she did the same thing when he was born... not sending a gift until she came out to visit when he was 2 1/2 months old, and then they were things that were nice but not things we needed (a blanket, two stuffed animals, and a onesie in size NB ).

Okay, that was a long update. I really, really am going to try to update more frequently, but I can't make any promises (at least until I return to work). Here are a few pics from Christmas.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
December 27th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't blame you for not updating more often. Sounds like you've been enjoying your boys and they come first.

I hope the iPod dock comes soon. My gentian violet was ordered yesterday and even with prime is said to arrive on Jan 2. Not sure why that is. That would be great if Enya works for him at night. She is so relaxing! I said the same thing about co-sleeping but I'd say that I fall asleep while Sean is nursing at night about half the time. He goes back into his bassinet just fine it's just so easy to fall asleep once he's latched on. I try to browse on my phone since that is the only thing that keeps me awake but sometimes I just can't be bothered. :shh:

Sounds like it's bittersweet that William is in such demand for jobs. It's good that he doesn't have to take the first job that comes along and can be more choosy. I don't blame him for preferring to stay home with Jack!

Glad you had a great first Christmas! I loved your pics on FB. That's too bad your mother didn't send anything for him yet. She's really on top of things, isn't she?

December 28th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Crystallee's Avatar Host of the Dec 2012 PR
Can't get over the adorable christmas pictures Enjoy your time off!!

Thanks kiliki for my siggie!
December 28th, 2012, 05:41 AM
Nicholle ttc's Avatar TTC our first!
F/X'd that William gets the job of his dreams and that Jack starts sleeping through most of the night! Enjoy your time with the boys! XO

Natural cycles-August 2011-July 2012
August 2012-October 2012 clomid and progesterone
November 2012-IUI
December 2012, cysts from IUI, on bcp

January 2013-February 2013, long protocol IVF
15 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized with ICSI
All 7 made it to 5 day transfer, 2 were transferred
Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

May 10, 2013, lap sx, Stage 1 endo

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

FET tentatively scheduled for 10/31/13

Have never seen a bfp.

December 28th, 2012, 11:17 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I am way behind too...I took a much needed break from my computer in general, though I still checked in all the time via phone because babies are coming in my DDC!

Glad you had a nice Christmas - J's first! The pictures are adorable. Sounds like you are really having a nice break with your boys!! Enjoy enjoy!!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
December 30th, 2012, 06:30 PM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
I hope you are enjoying your time off! Sounds like you all had a wonderful Christmas!!! Keep the pics coming, they are just sooo cute

Forever missing my angel 2010

January 1st, 2013, 10:05 AM
4 months & 23 days old

Happy new year! My 2012 was the best year yet, and I have a feeling that 2013 will be even better.

We had a very uneventful New Year's Eve. We went out to our city's "shoppes" (an outdoor mall) in the afternoon because I needed to return a few things to a couple of stores. Then we picked up takeout from our favorite local restaurant (Creole cuisine) and headed home. We were finished eating dinner by 6:00. Both of my boys were asleep at midnight, but I woke up to the sound of fireworks... the squealing kind. They both stayed asleep, thank goodness. I didn't want to wake them, so I didn't get to actually see the show. I'm not even sure where they were, but I'm thinking they must have been downtown in the next city over. It's surprising that I could hear them though.

So we didn't transition Jack to his crib yet. We're doing it tonight. At least that's the plan. Even though his cradle is good for up to 30 pounds (and he's just over half that weight right now), his prowess at rolling has made it impossible for him to sleep in it. So he's been sleeping in our bed. And even though we have a Cal King and I place him directly in the middle of the bed, he rolls and scoots his way right up next to me. It's the sweetest thing in the world, and it's also incredibly uncomfortable. I just really wanted to wait to move him to his room until he was sleeping somewhat closer to through the night... even five hours. He's just not doing it yet, but the current sleeping arrangement is just not working. We never even bought a PnP because we just didn't think we would need it until we decided to travel for the first time. If his crib doesn't work, I believe we'll be making a trip to BRU this week to pick up one.

While the sleeping arrangement is not currently ideal, I am quite proud of my little guy. For the past two nights, he has fallen asleep without needing to nurse while doing so. I sang him to sleep both nights, while he just lay there on his own. It's definitely a step in the right direction.

We haven't gotten through as many household projects as I had hoped, but I'm not at all surprised. We've put a dent in the list though. It's amazing how much less free time one has when a baby enters the picture.

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow to see about my wrist. I'm going on 2 months with an issue that I can't even explain. It's where the thumb meets the wrist, so I'm thinking it's more a thumb issue than a wrist issue. I had hoped it would just go away, but that doesn't seem to be happening. Some days are better than others, but it always hurts. And certain movements make me want to scream out (and I have a few times). I can't really figure out if it's a bone issue or a tendon issue or a muscle issue. It hurts to the touch in a certain spot as well. I'm sure tomorrow's appointment will just lead to a referral (stupid HMO), but at least I'm finally doing something about it. If it was my left hand, I probably would have put it off even longer.

Oh, the raspberry-blowing madness continues. He blew a raspberry on my boob while nursing! And then he giggled. Little turkey.

Another adorable thing that Jack is doing these days is putting his hands on my face and looking deeply into my eyes. If I stand or sit him on my lap in front of me, he loves to feel my face. Sometimes that leads to him sticking his entire hand in my mouth and hooking the bottom lip.

I'll leave you all with a giggly video. Jackson Is Giggly After His Nap - YouTube

January 1st, 2013, 01:32 PM
nina9809's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's called De Quervain syndrome - sometimes called Mothers Thumb - what is wrong with your wrist/thumb. I have it too! In both wrists! It's a form of tendonitis.

Here is a good site, scroll down to see the diagnosis.

http://solomonsseal.wordpress.com/20...solomons-seal/
Mom2JDub likes this.

Thank you Kiliki... for my amazing siggie!

Last edited by nina9809; January 1st, 2013 at 01:34 PM.
January 1st, 2013, 02:00 PM
Ooh, Nina, a friend mentioned this to me as well, but the info she gave me didn't have this much detail. I'm hoping that I can get a wrist brace from my doctor through insurance instead of buying one. I've been icing it when I can. It's just so frustrating because I can't just stop caring for my baby, but it stinkin' hurts. It even hurts to "wipe" after going to the bathroom... actually that probably hurts the most. And I'm not even remotely ambidextrous, so I'm not talented at using my left hand for that purpose.

January 1st, 2013, 02:31 PM
I was thinking carpal tunnel for your thumb, but Nina's idea makes a lot of sense.

Glad you're having such a great time with your boys! Having a baby really does change a lot of things and it's so hard to get projects done! In some ways I think it'll be easier when they get a little bit older but in others I think that's probably not going to happen for years and years!

I saw that video on FB. So cute! We're starting to get a reaction out of Sean when we do things like that so I hope it won't be too much longer before I get videos like that.

I hope the transition to the crib goes well. I don't blame you for wanting to keep him with you until he's sleeping longer but it sounds like it's a good thing to transition him. Didn't you say you have memory foam? That's pretty impressive he's able to roll like that on memory foam. I'd think the fact that he sinks in a bit would make it more difficult!

January 1st, 2013, 02:50 PM
Yes, we do have memory foam. It amazes me that he rolls so well. The funny thing is that when we lay him on a blanket on the floor just to play, he doesn't show much interest in rolling. When it's bed time, though, he rolls every single night!

And, Robyn, get as much video as you can! We miss out on so much when it's just one of us at home because it's difficult to get the camera and it usually distracts him from doing whatever he's doing. We've gotten a lot of video, but I wish we had more.

January 1st, 2013, 03:11 PM
I'm working on it. I am so glad I got his first time rolling over on video (especially since it's the only time he's done it so far) and want to try to get as many of these moments as I can.

January 1st, 2013, 05:56 PM
nina9809's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by junie22 View Post
It even hurts to "wipe" after going to the bathroom... actually that probably hurts the most. And I'm not even remotely ambidextrous, so I'm not talented at using my left hand for that purpose.
Oh my goodness - yessss! This hurts so badly!! I have it in both my wrists. They say you need to change the way you are lifting your baby, so I have been trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belita View Post
I was thinking carpal tunnel for your thumb, but Nina's idea makes a lot of sense.
I had carpal tunnel in the last months of my pregnancy,,,,, which went away with birth..... but now this!!! Arrrgghhh!

Thank you Kiliki... for my amazing siggie!
January 2nd, 2013, 09:23 AM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by junie22 View Post
4 months & 23 days old

It's amazing how much less free time one has when a baby enters the picture.

This times a million!! Even with 2 people at home, I still feel like I can only get 1/3 of what I WANT done

I hope the transition to the crib goes smoothly and you are pleasantly surprised by Jackson sleeping much better!! Jordan seems to have been waking up less times during the night since we switched him over, and it feels a little freeing to be able to put the baby to bed and still stay up without worrying about him... and I get my side of the bed back!

January 2nd, 2013, 07:38 PM
4 months and 24 days old

We had a great day with Jack yesterday. He was just a barrel of laughs all day long, and he just adores playing with his daddy. I made a great meal for dinner too. Last night before bed, DH was lying on the bed and letting Jack stand on his chest. "Standing" is just about Jack's favorite thing to do. This time, though, he got super-excited and started shuffling his feet, like skipping. It was adorable. DH was barely supporting him, so he was really shifting weight on each leg quite well. I think his jumperoo is helping with that, as he will sometimes jump off both feet and sometimes switch between the two feet.

He's also exhibiting more signs that he may be interested in crawling. I still think it will be quite a while, but he gets onto his knees during tummy time and then straightens his legs and then goes back to his knees over and over. So that's cool.

Also, yesterday, Jack reached for DH's spoon and also reached for his glass. I'm still not really interested in feeding him solid food yet, but it's neat that he's showing an interest. He'll be 6 months old in just over 5 weeks, so I'm sure he'll be ready to start trying out some solids for sure.

Today was good too. Yesterday, I dropped my point-and-shoot camera, which I actually really liked a lot, and irreparably damaged it. Still, I had wanted to buy a much nicer camera ever since Jack was born. I just couldn't justify the expense though. After breaking the point-and-shoot, I was faced with the decision of buying another $150 camera or upgrading to something better. So I found a great deal on Amazon for the Canon EOS Rebel T3, at just $400. We also have the silver rewards membership at Best Buy, and we were just $250 away from keeping it for another year. However, the same camera was going for $450 at Best Buy. They used to only price match on advertised prices from competitors, but they recently started price matching Amazon. So we headed to Best Buy today to purchase the camera and a new ink cartridge. We now get to keep our silver rewards membership, and we also got 18 months of interest-free financing. So I feel better about spending the $400. I can't wait to play around with the camera during these last four days of my vacation.

While we were in Best Buy, DH was carrying Jack in the Ergo. He pooped... and pooped... and pooped. So I took him into the bathroom to change him. He had blown out of one of the legs. So his onesie and pants both had poop on them. I don't think he would have leaked if he hadn't been in the Ergo, and then we had to shift him around to get him out and then walk him to the bathroom. I think that's when the leaking occurred. So I changed his clothes too. It was funny because DH was just asking me on Monday why I packed a change of clothes in his diaper bag. I told him it was in case Jack ever pooped or peed himself. Men.

Today we also finally returned a few things to Carter's that we had received as gifts. They were already too small when we received them. Carter's has a great return policy, especially since I didn't have any receipts and one of the items didn't even have a tag. (It was still tagged together, but the person who gave it to us had removed the sales tag). I'm at the point right now where I absolutely do not need to buy anymore clothes for Jack. He has too many 9-month clothes as it is, and I don't really want to buy too many 12-month clothes yet since I won't know his growth pace that far out. However, he has gigantic feet. He's been in 12-month socks for a couple of months, but most of those are too small now. So I bought some 24-month socks from Carter's. They'll probably be too big at first, but I'm sure they'll fit better than these too small 12-month socks. I imagine he's going to be tall like his daddy (at least I hope).

I've pumped 70 ounces for the freezer, and I'm pretty happy about that. I wish my breasts produced more milk, but at least that's a decent buffer for a while. I've pumped an average of just 5 ounces per day since I've been on vacation. While it could be better, it's not too bad considering how much Jack insists on nursing during the day. For example, he comfort nursed from 2:00 to 6:00 this afternoon. I pumped as soon as he was finished, but I just got an ounce. Then he wanted to nurse again at 6:45. He slept better the past two nights, so perhaps this sleepiness is the tail end of a growth spurt.

Oh, I also found an extra 6 ounces in a bag that had fallen behind some things in the freezer! It was from November, so that was a nice little surprise.

Okay, that was a longer update than I intended. So until tomorrow...

Oh, yeah, I also got a free 8x8 photobook from Shutterfly with my purchase from Best Buy, so that was pretty awesome too... especially since I've been working on our 2012 photo book for the past few days. Perfect timing.
Nicholle ttc likes this.

January 3rd, 2013, 09:52 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I can't believe how fast Jack is growing! Already starting to show interest in both solids (sort of) and standing! Guess it's true what they say about babies growing up before your eyes! I'll have to remember that!

I am so glad you are enjoying your break with your boys! I know we had some craptastic weather in the past couple weeks, but now it seems to be getting really nice again...so hopefully that will allow for some nice walks and just a general good mood from all the sun!

I think you will be so happy with your camera. We bought our good DSLR a few months ago, and couldn't be happier. It was a dual purpose purchase...we had a good point and shoot we liked, and it would have been fine, but since I take thousands (literally) of animal pictures, we knew that it would be a good investment with that, plus Scooter. We couldn't be happier with it, and Scooter isn't even here yet! I'll have to see if I can get it from my brother, but right after Munch was born, my SIL bought my brother a book on taking good baby and infant pictures. While my brother is no professional, he likes to take good shots, and has taken quite a few that if you didn't know better, would swear are professional. And I think he has the same camera as you.

The word on socks...Baby Gap and Trumpette are the best around. Granted, I have no personal experience, but I'm going from BTDT mommies with babies with wiggly feet and big feet and small feet. These are the best sock recos I've gotten, and repeatedly (plus Trumpette makes uber cute socks).

Happy Thursday! x

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
January 3rd, 2013, 03:37 PM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Osh kosh socks work best for us! They rarely fall off his feet, even when he kicks all day

January 3rd, 2013, 03:51 PM
Jack's socks stay on just fine... his feet are just gigantic and he's outgrown them. The "heel" of his 6-12 month socks don't make it to his heel, in like four different brands of socks. The 12-18 month Gymboree socks and 12-24 month Carter's socks seem to fit him fine now.

January 3rd, 2013, 03:54 PM
Standing is one of Sean's favorite things to do, too. He yells at us if we're not holding him up standing or at least sitting! Silly babies wanting to be big boys so soon!

That's awesome you got a new camera! That was one of the cameras I was looking at when I upgraded to a DSLR a few years ago. I went with Nikon but I really don't think you can go wrong either way. There is an old Ashton Kutcher movie that I have on the TV right now (ABC Family) and he has a Canon in the movie. So weird to see him with that instead of a Nikon! I bet if it was nowadays he'd have to have it in his contract to have a Nikon!

Sounds like you have a pretty good buffer of milk stored. Hopefully you'll be able to keep up better when you go back to work.

January 4th, 2013, 07:32 AM
Expecting #1
Wow, I can't believe how quickly Jackson is growing. How is the transition to the crib going?

Glad you were able to pump a nice buffer. Did you start up the mother's love again? I know you stopped it before with Jackson's rash. Enjoy your time with your boys

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search