A Baby Journal for Jackson

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree189Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC #1 Grads Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I understand your husband's concerns about putting Jack in day care. Those infants really know how to put on the peer pressure into getting other babies hooked on the wrong toys and bottles. Seriously, though, it is a huge decision to choose someone to care for your child. A lot of my friends' day care providers have password protected blogs or Facebook accounts that they are able to check occasionally throughout the day and I know that helped them feel more at ease about the whole thing. I hope you're able to find a day care or nanny that makes both of you feel comfortable.

Glad your MIL's visit ended up going better in the 2nd half. I'm sure she appreciated you allowing her to snuggle Jackson so long. I hope you enjoy your bonding time before your mom gets there!

August 28th, 2012, 11:48 PM
jojo2bee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How sweet of William lol but it is a big decision choosing someone to care for your child. Good luck to you guys choosing!

August 31st, 2012, 03:00 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
22 days old

I think it's safe to say that the non-stop eating and refusal to sleep for more than 90 minutes at a time led to a major growth spurt in my little tyke. I could tell he'd gotten longer, and his belly and thighs had rounded out. However, it's just hard to tell from day to day how much he's growing. Well, last night when I was getting him ready for bed, I discovered that he was too big for his newborn sleeper. I have two that are the same exact style, and he can't fit in either one. He's not only too tall, but his little legs are too meaty now. So I put him in a different sleeper (still NB) that was too big to start. And it was even a little snug. I think we'll be graduating him to his 0-3 month sleepers this weekend.

This morning, I decided to weigh myself and then weigh again holding him. And there was an 8.5 pound difference. He was 6 lb & 10 oz to start, dropped to 6 lb & 4 oz by his fourth day, was up to 7 lb & 5 oz by his second week, and I believe he's somewhere around 8.5 lb by his third week. So I'm pretty stoked about his weight gain. Also, for the first time in about a week, he slept for two 3-hour stretches overnight, and he's actually in the middle of what has been a 2-hour nap so far. Yay for growth spurts! And for giving my boobs a respite for just a while.

Earlier this week, Jackson received his very first piece of mail... his Social Security card. I sent the paperwork off for his birth certificate today. The hospital told us to wait about 3 weeks, so that's what I did. I also signed all of the paperwork for adding him as a dependent to my insurance. He's been covered since birth, but HR had to complete the paperwork and send it to me to go beyond the initial 30-day period. It feels like such a slap in the face to basically be spending the entire tax break we get for having a child on health insurance. It's all worth it though.

I'm so looking forward to this holiday weekend with my two guys... without a house guest. I hope to do plenty of housework, and I'm going to send DH out for groceries and some other errand running. While Jackson has napped today, I have cleaned the entire kitchen and done three loads of laundry. So I've already put a small dent in this weekend's chores. It's amazing how much more energy I have when Jackson lets me sleep for a three-hour chunk at a time. It's truly a world of difference.

This weekend, I'm also going to start expressing my breast milk. I'm going to play it ear as to what time of day because that sort of depends on Jackson. Right now would actually be perfect because they are really full since he's been napping. However, I'll wait until tomorrow to try it out. I've already used my pump once, just to help a little with engorgement early on, but this weekend will be the first real time using it. It will be nice to have some stored in the fridge so DH can feed him. I hope Jackson takes to a bottle nipple. He fumbles around on the pacifier and then eventually gets the hang of it, so I hope he'll do the same with the bottle. If not, we have more than two months to get him transitioned. I figured we could try to feed him with a bottle once every day or two and the breast the rest of the time. As I get closer to my return to work, I'll start working the bottle into his routine more. There's still plenty of time for all of that though.

Now he's stretching and squinting his eyes at me, so I'm going to wrap this up so I can change and feed him. I truly love being a mommy.

August 31st, 2012, 03:18 PM
Such a sweet post. Your love and excitement just shines through in every post you make!

That sounds like a good plan for the weekend. Glad Jackson is starting to sleep longer stretches. Are you getting more sleep than when you were pregnant?

That's awesome he's growing so much! Just don't grow up too fast, Jack!
Mom2JDub likes this.

September 1st, 2012, 08:28 AM
dri2011's Avatar Tired of Practicing
I agree with everything Robyn just said
Mom2JDub likes this.

*Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!*

September 1st, 2012, 01:06 PM
Robyn - I know I said that I should get more sleep after the baby than those final weeks of pregnancy. In a way, it's true, but the sleep is different. During the end of my pregnancy, I was up at least every hour to use the restroom, and I also had anxiety/excitement and had a hard time falling asleep. I also had a lot of BH and some real contractions and just generally felt uncomfortable. So a lot of nights, I didn't get more than 3-4 hours of sleep.

Some nights are really rough with Jack, but on a good night, I might get 6 hours of sleep. The difference, though, is that I break that time up with 90 minutes to two hours of nursing/entertaining him in the middle of the night. That break-up of sleep is what's killer. Not to mention that EBF is physically draining. And when I am sleeping, I'm constantly waking up to Jackson's noises. Every little coo or grunt (or fart) wakes me. It's a different kind of sleep. So the short answer is "sort of."

23 days old

Jackson gave me two 3-hour chunks of sleep last night. Of course, after the first chunk, I woke up at 2am to a urine-soaked baby and cradle sheets. Those **** Huggies Little Snugglers! I had used Pampers Swaddlers in NB from birth, but they became too small. Someone had given us some Huggies Little Snugglers in NB, so I decided to use those up before transitioning him to Pampers Swaddlers in size 1. The first time I used them, he had a poop blowout, and last night's pee episode was the fourth urine leak. I only had 36 diapers, so that's a pretty high failure rate. He's now graduated to Pampers Swaddlers size 1. And I am so glad I decided to go with Pampers instead of Huggies.

After feeding and bathing this morning, my little guy decided to take about a 90-minute nap. Since he had only fed off one breast, I decided it was a good time to pump. I got 4 ounces in just 10 minutes on my left breast, so I think pumping is going to work great. I just kept it in the fridge, and I'm hoping that William will feed him tomorrow. Crossing fingers that Jackson takes to a bottle. Since his short nap this morning, he has only wanted to eat, so I'm glad I didn't pump more than 4 ounces.

I received a care package yesterday afternoon from a woman at work who has a 10-month-old. She waited until she was in her 40s to have a baby, and she has been so excited for me. She was very generous at my baby shower, giving me a variety of gifts that worked really well for her daughter. So I was really surprised to get a package from her with a ton of new goodies. So very thoughtful.

DH is out shopping and running errands today. He's been so helpful. He gets really bummed because Jackson will start fussing after a few minutes hanging out with him. I told him that's normal and the only reason that Jackson wants to be with me so much is because I'm his food supply. William has the best burping technique, and he can sing him to sleep. Jackson also loves lying on his chest and hearing the vibrations of his voice. Today, he just sat on DH's lap nestled against his arm, and they watched TV for a while.

Shortly after DH left today, I was really hungry and Jackson was wide awake. So I put him in his little rocker, which has a toy bar with two hanging rattling toys. I was heating up my lunch and I heard the rattles. I looked into the living room, and he was batting at the toys! I'm not sure if he was doing it intentionally or just waving his arms around. Either way, he kept hitting them and staring at them.

September 1st, 2012, 02:04 PM
That's awesome! He's growing up so fast! Makes me wanna bawl everytime I read the next entry. I can't wait to have a newborn again. I am thankful that you share your BF stories. I didn't with DD (wrapped those puppies up in ace bandage about a week ahead, milk never even came in) but I want to with the new baby I have. I don't know how that's gonna go, they're already DD's. It'll look like I have watermelons in my shirt It is very encouraging to hear how it goes, I've never had anyone around me that did it.

Anywho..... you guys glad everything is still going great and I can't wait to read more. XOXO

September 1st, 2012, 02:19 PM
I can see how the sleep is different and not necessarily refreshing being so broken up like that.

Poor William. It sounds like he's a great daddy, though. Does he still do the nightly routine of talking to him?

That is so cute that he was playing with his toys (even if it wasn't intentional)! I can't wait to see Sean discovering the world. It must be an amazing feeling to watch your baby learn and grow.

September 1st, 2012, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dri2011 View Post
That's awesome! He's growing up so fast! Makes me wanna bawl everytime I read the next entry. I can't wait to have a newborn again. I am thankful that you share your BF stories. I didn't with DD (wrapped those puppies up in ace bandage about a week ahead, milk never even came in) but I want to with the new baby I have. I don't know how that's gonna go, they're already DD's. It'll look like I have watermelons in my shirt It is very encouraging to hear how it goes, I've never had anyone around me that did it.
No one in my family breastfed either. In fact, they were kind of discouraging me when I said it was my plan. I had nightmares that I wouldn't be successful at it. It came so naturally from the moment Jackson was placed on my chest. We definitely had our issues with latching at times, and the engorgement when my milk came in was almost unbearable. And when he's in a cluster feeding frenzy, my nipples get sore. However, sticking with it was one of the best decisions I ever made. It's such an amazing bond. And DH told me it's one of the most beautiful sights he's ever seen. I was tentative about pumping, but it went well too. It doesn't feel that great (the unnatural suction/tugging on the nipple). However, my milk flows fast, so that makes it easier. I'll probably switch almost exclusively to expressing and bottle feeding after I go back to work, so I'm really cherishing these first three months.

I really hope that you are successful at it with your next baby. It's hard to say what your breasts will do, in terms of size. My little sister tried to BF for the first week, but she stopped due to a bad latch and sore nipples. She had DD before getting pregnant, and her breasts really didn't grow that much post-pregnancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belita View Post
Poor William. It sounds like he's a great daddy, though. Does he still do the nightly routine of talking to him?
He talks and sings to him every night. Jackson actually loves it, and DH has put him to sleep just holding, rocking, and singing to him. DH can keep him calm, but it takes a lot of work. And then Jackson starts smacking his lips and sucking on his hand. It just stinks because he only has a few hours with him every night during the work week. I wish that he could just cuddle him the whole time. That's why I'm excited about bottle feeding sometimes, so he can have that same experience of Jackson eating and then falling asleep on him. It's such a sweet thing.

Last edited by Mom2JDub; September 1st, 2012 at 03:07 PM.
September 1st, 2012, 04:04 PM
So funny story...I was a breast baby and so was my sister. By the time she came I was 5 years old so I was well aware of everything going on.

I happened to be in the kitchen by myself for some reason and decided to take an adventure. I went in the cabinets and found my moms breast pump. It was the most frightening thing that had happened so far, me with my little flat chest and this thing suctioning to it. I will NEVER forget that.
Mom2JDub likes this.

September 1st, 2012, 05:02 PM
OMG, Dri! That is so funny! I love that kids try to emulate their parents. I wonder if you were surprised when nothing came out!

September 1st, 2012, 09:47 PM
I think I was so terrified that I didn't even think about it. My mom had to help me get the thing off.
Mom2JDub likes this.

September 2nd, 2012, 10:34 AM

September 3rd, 2012, 01:45 PM
25 days old

The activity gym I bought for Jackson arrived on Thursday (or thereabouts), and we put it to use for the first time yesterday. Jackson had tummy time in the morning and in the afternoon. I've mentioned before that the doctor and the lactation consultant both pointed out that Jackson seemed quite strong (as early as 4 days old). And when MIL was visiting, she couldn't believe how well and how long he could lift his head. So it's fun to see him bobble his little head all around during tummy time. He also really liked lying on his back and looking at the different toys and colors. He looked directly in the mirror a couple of times, but I don't think he was looking at himself, probably just the colored reflections off of it.

I've also mentioned before that it freaks me out how close he gets to rolling from his back to his tummy. I'll place him on his back at night, and he always ends up on his side. Well, during his morning tummy time yesterday, he started rolling and ended up evenly on his side. With some more effort, he rolled himself completely over onto his back! I really wish DH would have captured it on video, but he did snap a few pics of it. I was so excited but also freaked out a bit because I don't want him rolling over in his sleep just yet. I'm glad I bought the Snuza for peace of mind because I have no idea where this kid might end up in his crib if he's already this strong at 3 1/2 weeks old.

I pumped about 5 ounces of breast milk, but I didn't want to pump any more until we tried out the bottle. Yesterday evening, DH fed him with the bottle, and Jackson took to it immediately. He also went back to my breast without a problem at all, so I think we're going to do just fine. It was awesome to watch DH feed our baby boy as Jackson looked up at his daddy.

We are using the Playtex drop-ins system. I had read online about pumping directly into the liners and then freezing the liners and storing in Ziploc bags. Then you can just pull out the liner and drop it in the bottle, instead of having to thaw the freezer bag and then pour out of the bag into the liner. Basically, it just saves a step and also money, since I would also have to buy the freezer bags. So that's what I plan to do. I've pumped another four ounces today, and I'm going to try to shoot for an additional four ounces before the day is over. My plan is to pump when Jackson naps, so I don't deplete his supply at my breast. I still get engorged at night, even if he only lets 2 hours pass between feedings. So it would actually be great to pump at night, but I seriously don't want to mess with all that in the middle of the night.

I have the Ameda Purely Yours double electric breast pump. Since I don't have a frame of reference, I have no idea if it works better or worse than other pumps. However, it seems to stop working after a couple of ounces are expressed. And I know I still have milk in my breast because I can hand express it. It just stops being effective after 10 minutes or so. Perhaps as my supply regulates to the pumping schedule, it will be better. Or I might have to use the pump and then hand express the rest. My milk is abundant and flows easily, as Jackson sometimes gets choked up when he feeds ravenously. I've started leaking a lot now, too, so I imagine I'll be able to pump a lot more at session as some more time passes.

Speaking of pumping, my nipples are starting to get really sore and a little bruised. I know Jackson has a good latch, so I guess it's just from doing a lot of nursing. DH went out and ran a few errands for me today, including picking up some nipple shields. I want to have them just in case my nipples start feeling worse. I've heard they are pretty much the only way to give nipples a chance to heal. And my nipples chafing the disposable nursing pads probably doesn't help, so I'm going to break out my LiliPadz tonight when I go to bed.

And in more of a "me" update instead of a Jackson update, my tear is not healing well. It started to feel fine at about 1 1/2 weeks, so I stopped with the sitz baths and peri bottle, which I had used religiously from the first day post-partum. Then I got more stinging about a week ago, so I started using the peri bottle again. It stings badly when I use it though, so I'm just going to do a few sitz baths each day. I noticed that it hurts most when I'm sitting, which is a lot since I'm BF. So DH picked up a hemorrhoid pillow for me, which relieves the pressure on the spot where the tear happened. I'm hoping that will make a big difference. Ugh! If not, I'm definitely calling my OB.

Last edited by Mom2JDub; September 3rd, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
September 3rd, 2012, 02:08 PM
Wow! That is really strong! I can't believe he's able to roll over already! You definitely have a little athlete on your hands!

William must have loved being able to feed Jackson. He sounds like an amazing father already but I'm sure it'll help strengthen the bond even more. Glad Jackson was able to go back and forth so easily. He sounds like such a good baby.

Ouch! I hope the pillow and sitz baths help!

September 3rd, 2012, 08:57 PM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
sounds like you got this down pretty well...
As for pumping, I've never been able to pump and get stuff out for more than 5 minutes...I can still hand express drops out but not the stream, so that sounds right...I went back to work for a while after KAiden, and he didnt mind the botles (3-4 weeks is a great time to start them on that), but he loves to nruse directly off the breast when I got home - just cause he missed the snuggles I think...

Also, I'd say to try Lanolin on your nipples...I get chaffed at first, but I smother them with Lanolin and it helps enough so that I dont even need to use it any more...

The leaking stinks, I leak out one side if I'm feeding her out of the other side every single time...if my breast pads are in an awkward position, I find out very quickly with a lovely milk stain if I'm not careful...fwiw, with Kaiden, I stopped leaking around 5 months, dont know why...
September 4th, 2012, 06:20 AM
nina9809's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just got back from Burning Man and am now following you in your new baby journal!! So glad to hear everything is going so well for you!
Mom2JDub likes this.

Thank you Kiliki... for my amazing siggie!
September 4th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Expecting #1
Just caught up on your baby journal. Jackson sounds like a healthy and strong little boy Oh, and he is absolutely adorable!!

Thanks for posting about your day to day with Jackson. Its been so imformative about being a new mommy! When I read this, I was jotting notes about diapers and BFing Glad the BFing is going well and hopefully you get some relief. I was planning on just using disposable nursing pads, so please comment on whether you get better relief from the washable kind.

September 4th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromustobaby View Post
sounds like you got this down pretty well...
As for pumping, I've never been able to pump and get stuff out for more than 5 minutes...I can still hand express drops out but not the stream, so that sounds right...I went back to work for a while after KAiden, and he didnt mind the botles (3-4 weeks is a great time to start them on that), but he loves to nruse directly off the breast when I got home - just cause he missed the snuggles I think...

Also, I'd say to try Lanolin on your nipples...I get chaffed at first, but I smother them with Lanolin and it helps enough so that I dont even need to use it any more...

The leaking stinks, I leak out one side if I'm feeding her out of the other side every single time...if my breast pads are in an awkward position, I find out very quickly with a lovely milk stain if I'm not careful...fwiw, with Kaiden, I stopped leaking around 5 months, dont know why...
Good to hear about your experiences. I have been slathering my nipples with lanolin since I was in the hospital. I notice that they feel the worst when he's been cluster feeding. I just need to toughen them up.

September 4th, 2012, 09:36 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Finally caught up! I'm sorry your nips and tear are feeling icky, but hopefully the remedies will soothe each in time. My SIL had issues with her nipples as well at first, but with lanolin, they got much, much better.

That sounds so crazy that J-man is rolling over SO soon! What a strong little man you've got there!
x

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search