A Baby Journal for Jackson

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree189Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC #1 Grads Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 14th, 2013, 09:41 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I like the "play it by ear" thing. Granted, I have no experience yet, but even when we have the best intentions to do something, babies never really truly allow us to plan anything, right?!
DeepSouthMommy likes this.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
January 14th, 2013, 10:00 AM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^^^ WSS!

Keep this in mind about purees and cereal...some purees are really watery, so if Jack doesn't take to them/like them, you can always add a tiny bit of rice to those just to keep them from being so runny. That way he's not getting rice all the time, but he can eat a larger variety of fruits and veggies. Some babies are fine with the thin stuff, some aren't and it doesn't take much cereal to thicken if you need to.

Jack just keeps getting cuter and cuter!!!

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
January 14th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Expecting #1
Wow, there is a lot to learn about solids foods! What book are you reading? I have a while, but I know introducing solids while be a milestone here before I know it!

I'm sorry the Gatorade isn't working for you. I started drinking some and haven't really noticed a change. I'm just trying to keep my fluids up and hope to keep increasing my supply. It sounds like you have a nice stash saved up though.

January 14th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
If I do need to use rice cereal, I will probably prepare my own. The book I'm reading basically says to pulverize brown rice and use instead of the baby rice cereal. It has more nutritional value that way.

I've also heard that you can use cooked quinoa flakes to thicken purees. That sounds very interesting to me. I love quinoa, and it's a super-food.

Julie - I have this book - Cooking for Baby: Wholesome, Homemade, Delicious Foods for 6 to 18 Months: Lisa recipes by Barnes: 9781416599180: Amazon.com: Books

I have another one published by Parenting magazine, but I haven't read much of it yet.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
January 14th, 2013, 09:15 PM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know if you have it or plan to get one, but the Baby Bullet comes with a special blade to make your own cereals! I thought that was pretty cool.

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
January 15th, 2013, 08:48 AM
dri2011's Avatar Tired of Practicing
Just stopping by....Jackson is getting so big and more handsome every time I see him.
Mom2JDub likes this.

*Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!*

January 15th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dri2011 View Post
Just stopping by....Jackson is getting so big and more handsome every time I see him.
And I think he has less hair every time you see him too.

Thanks for stopping by, Dri.

January 15th, 2013, 12:00 PM
5 months & 6 days old

I'm still drinking Gatorade and it does seem to be helping with my supply. When I posted on Friday that I thought it was a fluke, I completely forgot that I forgot to drink Gatorade that day. I left it at home when I headed off to work. So if it's helping me produce even a couple more ounces per day, I guess I'll stick with it.

Our big boy car seat arrived, but we haven't installed it yet. Maybe sometime this week or over the weekend. We still haven't tried any solid foods yet either. Maybe a little piece of banana or avocado this week in the mesh feeder. Or maybe not.

I feel like I'm getting sick, but it could just be really bad allergies. My allergies are the worst in the winter, and I've been just suffering with them so far. It's been over 1 1/2 years since I've taken allergy medicine, and I guess I've just gotten used to being miserable. I must admit, though, that I don't have them nearly as badly as some people do, like my father, whose eyes swell up with hay fever. I feel pretty crappy at all times though. Yesterday, my throat started feeling like it was closing in, and I just felt achy by the afternoon. I just knew I was getting sick. However, I don't feel any worse today. Still sort of like I'm getting a sore throat, but it's not turning into anything full-fledged. And my nose is really runny today. The Santa Ana winds were really awful Sunday night, so I'm thinking they might have just stirred up my allergies really badly. I hope so.

Since Jack's five-month mark was the first monthly milestone when he didn't have a doctor's appointment, I went ahead and measured him myself. He's somewhere over 16 pounds, and he's 26.5 inches long (maybe a little longer). So he's still around the 50th percentile for weight and at the 75th percentile for height, according to the WHO growth charts.

DH is still really enjoying his time with the little guy. He has an interview today. I'm leaving work at 2:00 so I can take over with Jack. This is the job he's most excited about, but I'm not sure about the salary yet. This one definitely has the best benefits and perks and potential for growth. Of course, he's still not been offered any of the jobs yet, so we'll just cross that bridge when we get to it. Whatever the outcome, I'm setting up a meeting with my college's childcare center director this week. I've already toured the facility and talked to her about it. We just originally decided not to enroll Jack there, or at least until he was out of the infant stage. However, if our original daycare choice no longer has a slot available, I'm definitely bringing him to this one.

My playroom is gearing up to "award" mommy and baby superlatives, so that should be fun. I really, really lucked out on a DDC/PR. A lot of the women were on the TTC board with me when we were TTC, and we've stayed really active on JM. We're friends on FB, too, but we still hang out here. Our hosts are always coming up with fun things to do, so most of the mamas have stayed engaged. I took over organizing the weekly photo challenge. Another woman was doing it, but then she went MIA. We went for a couple of months without anything. So I volunteered to get it going. This is just my second week of organizing it, and it's going well. Tons of cute babies!

I'm also hosting Owlbert this week. He's our PR mascot. He's a stuffed owl that is being sent from mama to mama for adventures in our neck of the woods. I was a little hesitant to do this kind of stuff at first because I was concerned about my address being out there, but our hosts have done a great job of establishing minimum requirements to participate. And we're able to tell them specific members with whom we wouldn't feel comfortable sharing an address. So I feel more at ease now than I did when we were still a DDC and doing shower gifts.

Anyway, Owlbert arrived on Saturday. DH has been so cute, taking pics of Jack with him during their daily activities. I'll keep him until sometime next week and then send him off to Tennessee. So far he's been to Manchester (England), Maine, and now Southern California. He'll make stops in a lot of states, as well as Canada, Ireland, and Australia. Each woman is also adding to a journal, so it's pretty neat.

Jack is sleeping longer without needing to eat, so maybe we'll try out his crib soon. Of course, I've said that so many times already that I'm like the boy who cried wolf.
Belita likes this.

January 15th, 2013, 12:16 PM
I'm so happy you have a great DDC-turned-playroom. I'm doing my BEST, along with my great co-host, to keep ours wonderful as well. We have also lucked out with NO drama (is this possible? yep, sure is!). I have no doubt we will continue on as a great playroom when that time comes around!

Note on the winds/feeling crappy. I don't have allergies, and when the Santa Anas rolled through here this weekend, even I feel craptastic. Could be related. I've been considering moving Scooter's humidifier into our room for the next few days or so to see if that helps.

Sending all kinds of good thoughts to William on his interview!! KUP on how it goes! xx

January 15th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have that same baby food cookbook! I just pulled it off the shelf so that I can start reading it and hopefully get through before Sean is 6 months.

That's great you have such an awesome PR. Unfortunately, the Nov DDC is mostly in FB and I wasn't following there since I find it too difficult to keep up with (and there is lots of drama) but mostly the following thing so it's pretty dead. The Oct PR is awesome, though, and that's my home these days. We have a weekly photo challenge and we're doing a "Day in the life of a Woodlander" thing where we're taking turns posting about a typical day in our lives told through pictures. There were superlatives but I was so new to the PR when they started it that I didn't join. Amber and I (and now just Amber) tried our hardest with the Nov PR but I think it really takes not only the right hosts, but the right combination of participants to make a great group.

January 15th, 2013, 06:05 PM
We've done the DITLO too. I did mine quite a while back, and then we had a break for a while. They're getting them back in order now though.

I agree with you that the hosts can only do so much. It's the members who have to want to be active. We just have a really great group. So many of the women will take on different pieces, too, so not everything falls on the hosts.

January 15th, 2013, 06:11 PM
I really need my brain checked. I read that as you did the dildo too.
DaniM0820 and dri2011 like this.

January 15th, 2013, 06:22 PM

January 15th, 2013, 06:39 PM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

January 15th, 2013, 07:44 PM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
Sounds like you have some exciting stuff with the playroom.

I'm going to check out that baby cookbook, thanks for sharing.

Forever missing my angel 2010

January 16th, 2013, 04:55 PM
5 months & 1 week old

I figured if I didn't take a few minutes to post a journal entry, I wouldn't for the rest of the day. I really love my career, but it would be so awesome to be able to be at home with my baby boy until he goes to school. It's definitely not possible, but it would be such a dream. I never in a million years thought I would say that, but, then again, I also never had a child. Alas, work it is.

Jack is going through some serious teething, and I really hope he'll cut a tooth and not be one of those babies that goes months like this. He's been drooling for ages and sticking everything in sight in his mouth. So it's kind of hard to tell what's teething and what's just normal developmental baby stuff. However, now it's just plain obvious that his gums hurt him. He will punch his mouth, rub toys over his gums, get red cheeks, and fuss.

The good thing is that Humphrey's teething pellets seem to really comfort him when he gets fussy with teething. He seems worst in the early evening for some reason. And he won't even want to nurse unless we use the pellets. I want him to cut a tooth or two so he can maybe be out of pain for a while. But I'm also a little scared of a nursing baby with teeth.

I'm so happy to report that I'm still producing pretty well with pumping. I actually pumped more during this afternoon's session than during the first two sessions of the day. I did double-up on oatmeal today, so perhaps that was the difference. DH hasn't had to dip into the freezer stash at all. Well, actually, he pulls one bag out each day, and then I add a new bag to the freezer. So Jackson gets mostly fresh milk each day and one bag of frozen. That way, we don't get too many older bags of milk in the stash. Since I came home early yesterday, Jackson didn't take as much milk from the bottle. And I was still able to pump a few ounces in the evening. So I'll probably be adding an extra bag to the freezer tonight. Woot!

Jack's pic won the photo of the week... E is for elephant. I honestly thought that another one would win because I truly felt like it was a better pic. She used "E is for electrifying." Her son (who has a ton of hair) was sitting in a Bumbo with a light bulb in his lap. She had probably used a balloon to make his hair stick out straight in all directions. And he had a priceless look on his face. If I had only one vote, it honestly would have been hers. I'm not gonna complain about my cutie eking out the win though.

dri2011 likes this.

January 16th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Yay for good BF sessions! That's great that the oatmeal is helping. I already eat it every day, so I'm hoping that keeping it up will be a big plus for my BF supply as well!

That picture is adorable! I ordered Scooter's elephant just recently, and it should be here soon (for the same purpose)...different elephant, but same idea This picture is just adorable though!

January 16th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Glad you're doing better with the pumping!

I've heard that same thing about wishing they could stay home from other friends who never thought they'd want to. It stinks that raising children isn't a paying job.

You just reminded me I needed to submit a photo for H! I don't do all of ours since sometimes I can't always think of one with his face hidden but it's always fun!

January 18th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbpeanut View Post
That's great that the oatmeal is helping. I already eat it every day, so I'm hoping that keeping it up will be a big plus for my BF supply as well!

That picture is adorable! I ordered Scooter's elephant just recently, and it should be here soon (for the same purpose)...different elephant, but same idea This picture is just adorable though!
Oatmeal is my go-to breakfast most mornings, so I've never really been sure how much it helps with supply versus just my normal supply. KWIM? Well, I've taken to eating a packet in the afternoon as a snack while I'm at work, and I've seen my supply stay up even for the afternoon session. Good thing I LOVE oatmeal. One woman in my DDC hates oatmeal, so she will just poor a packet in a few ounces of water and shoot it back.

I cannot wait to watch Scooter grow with his elephant.

January 18th, 2013, 11:42 AM
5 months & 9 days old

I've just determined that my boobs will do what they want to do. I pumped 7 ounces during my first morning session at work, which is a couple more ounces than usual (I pump first thing in the morning at home, so my first session at work isn't usually that impressive). I didn't even eat oatmeal this morning and hadn't had any Gatorade yet. I'll still keep doing what I'm doing, but my boobs really do have minds of their own.

DH's interview on Tuesday went well, and he heard back from them yesterday. They didn't officially offer him the job, but HR told him that they are going to offer him the job. Basically, they were in the process of a little reorganization prior to the job being flown. It was a position that was vacated and so they went through the normal channels to fill it. However, they won't make an official move to offer the job until the reorganization is finalized. Apparently, that will be next week. So unless something really wacky happens, DH will now be faced with the decision to take the job or not.

We've talked about it a lot, and we're 99% sure that he's going to take it. The salary isn't quite where we want it to be, but there is tremendous opportunity for growth with this company. So he could easily be in a higher-paying position within a short amount of time. The company is much larger than the others with whom he's interviewed, and it's also a lot larger than Mitsubishi (his former employer). They are actually at the top of their industry right now, when so many other companies are struggling. While other companies are furloughing and freezing COLA and laying off and eliminating incentives, this company still gives company-wide bonuses at 10-15% each year on top of additional departmental bonuses based on merit. They have an opt-out policy for medical benefits (since he has great benefits through my employer), so that will translate to extra $ on top of his salary. And there are a lot of other perks that I'll probably write about if he is indeed offered the job and does take it.

While he would love to stay home with Jack a while longer, we both have this lingering fear that the job market won't be any better or will be worse in a few months, when we'll really be down to the wire and stressed about finances. I'll definitely report more when we know more. It's all looking good for now though.

When DH got the call yesterday, he decided to ring our former daycare provider to see if a slot would be miraculously available. It turns out that she's full right now but has a slot opening in February. So we're excited about the possibility of taking Jack there. I had pretty much come to terms with the notion of enrolling him here at my college's childcare center. It's a great center, but I just hate the idea of him being around so many other children. I know I can't protect him forever, and I know that exposure to some germs is a good thing. However, as an infant, I just prefer him to be in a smaller facility. So I'm really hoping that everything works out, timing wise.

DH called me a while ago to tell me that Jackson had been refusing a bottle for two hours. It's 100% teething. He's started clicking his tongue against his gums now too. Top and bottom both seem to bother him, but it looks like the top teeth will be the first to sprout. He grabbed my thumb this morning, stuck it in his mouth, and pull it out forcefully against his top gums. Poor little guy. Nothing at all seems to be working right now. The problem with teething toys (Sophie, gummy toys, or harder objects) is that they make him more frustrated. He chews and chews and then gets annoyed that he can't stick the entire toy in his mouth. Then he starts crying. DH had also used Humphrey's pellets, which had been providing relief. Not this morning though. So then he actually used some Little Remedies teething gel. I told him not to use it because the FDA recommends against it in children under 2 years old because it can cause breathing issues. However, I guess DH was desperate. Jack finally took a bottle, but I think DH is ready for me to be home.

It's a three-day weekend for me. Since it's going to be so beautiful, we're going to hit a large outdoor mall and a park. Perhaps I'll even talk DH into going to the beach. We'll see how much we can pack into the weekend because we also have work to do around the house.

I'll leave you all with another Jack video. He goes through phases of screaming. He'll do it nonstop for a while, then get sick of it. Then a few weeks later he'll start up with it again. So this video is DH getting him very excited, right before bed of course.

Jackson Screams - YouTube

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search