A Baby Journal for Jackson

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree189Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC #1 Grads Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 7th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Thanks, Karin.

Yes, I just heard about the fatigues discount at Big Bear. He must have known, right? Crazy coincidence if he didn't.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
February 8th, 2013, 01:08 AM
Expecting #1
That's scary! It's always nerve racking when something like that is so close to home.

Sorry about the pump! Hopefully you can get it to work for you over the weekend. Pumping each side separately will be a pain.

February 8th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Nicholle ttc's Avatar TTC our first!
So scary! I hope they catch him soon!

Natural cycles-August 2011-July 2012
August 2012-October 2012 clomid and progesterone
November 2012-IUI
December 2012, cysts from IUI, on bcp

January 2013-February 2013, long protocol IVF
15 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized with ICSI
All 7 made it to 5 day transfer, 2 were transferred
Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

May 10, 2013, lap sx, Stage 1 endo

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

FET tentatively scheduled for 10/31/13

Have never seen a bfp.

February 8th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That sounds so scary!

That stinks about your pump. What are the flanges made out of that they keep breaking?

February 8th, 2013, 02:52 PM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
Yay!!! I'm glad the daycare at work had an opening. It will be very convenient for you to have him there, hopefully not to distracking though.

Sorry about your flange and I saw that story on the news, I hope they catch the guy!

Forever missing my angel 2010

February 8th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belita View Post
That stinks about your pump. What are the flanges made out of that they keep breaking?
They're made of plastic. The problem is that both times I dropped them, they were super-cold because I had them in the refrigerator. So the plastic was more brittle. They broke in the exact same spot where the plastic gets really thin. It's hard to describe where, but I think it's because it's thin, cold plastic. So frustrating that I have such butterfingers. Better the flange than my milk though!

My taping of the flange has been doing the trick. I was able to pump, although very carefully, as normal today. Still, it will be nice to get the new one on Monday.

February 11th, 2013, 01:39 PM
I hope your flange came in today! That's crazy that the plastic is that fragile! Is there a benefit to keeping the flanges in the fridge? On the Medela, the flange is separate from the adaptor that houses the membrane, tubing, etc... so if I want to keep reusing the flange I just run it under some water and rinse it out with a paper towel.

February 13th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Crystallee's Avatar Host of the Dec 2012 PR
Wanna come to chat today at 7est? I'm lonesome lol. I know everybody is busy but I figured I would give it a try! Don't know about work schedules and all that jazz but hey its worth a try!

Thanks kiliki for my siggie!
February 13th, 2013, 03:04 PM
I might be able to pop in for a while, Crystal! I'm at work today.

February 13th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belita View Post
I hope your flange came in today! That's crazy that the plastic is that fragile! Is there a benefit to keeping the flanges in the fridge? On the Medela, the flange is separate from the adaptor that houses the membrane, tubing, etc... so if I want to keep reusing the flange I just run it under some water and rinse it out with a paper towel.
I do keep using the flange for my 4 x per day pumping, but I'm not near a sink in my office. So I just put it back in the fridge between pumping sessions to prevent bacteria growth. Then I wash/sanitize them each evening.

February 13th, 2013, 04:07 PM
6 months & 4 days old

Jack had his 6-month check-up on Monday, and it went reasonably well. He weighed in at 16 lbs 14 oz and measured 27 inches long. So he's back up near the 75th percentile in height but down to the 40% percentile in weight. So he's lost a little ground in the latter. I'm not worried about it, and neither was his doctor. He eats like a maniac, pees and poops like a champion, and just really started wanting solids, so I'm sure he'll catch back up.

He handled the actual shots a little better than his 4-month appointment, but I think that was mainly just because he was in a much better mood to start. He definitely cried, but I was able to calm him pretty quickly afterward. He still has a little knot in his muscle from one of the last injection sites, so I asked his doctor about that. She said it's not abnormal to get a knot but that having one for two months is pretty unusual. She said that some babies are just more sensitive than others.

So before the nurse gave him the shots, we asked her to avoid that spot. She made the comment that he started swelling instantly upon being injected. So, yeah, we definitely have a sensitive little guy. They're still red and swollen today, even though we tried hot/cold compresses like she recommended. At least he doesn't seem to be in too much pain upon touching them.

He had a miserable Monday night. A fever is one thing, but he actually moaned and whimpered and tossed and turned, which was just heartbreaking. So he and I got very little sleep that night, and then he woke up so miserable at about 4am. I decided to call into work because I knew it would be a really rough day. He cried a lot and was just not my normal happy baby. I did get some smiles and giggles from him, but he was really feeling unwell. DH couldn't stop him from crying, only mommy, so it was a good decision to stay home. He even vomited (not just spit-up) at one point.

I had gone back and forth about doing a modified vaccine schedule, but I decided to just stick with the standard schedule. I'm sure he's most sensitive to one in particular (I'm thinking the DTaP), but I would hate to spread out his shots and then have multiple horrible days of fever and fussiness from him. So I'm at least relieved that we're through the worst of the vaccinations, and he will hopefully be a healthy baby and happy as can be until his 9-month appointment.

Next week is DH's last week home with Jackson. I have a four-day weekend coming up. On Tuesday, William is bringing Jackson to the campus so we can have our teacher-family interview at the infant/toddler center. Then we're dropping off the paperwork at the main office. I finally got the fee structure, and it's not as bad as I thought it might be. And if we pay in advance of our monthly billing period (I guess a lot of students don't), we get a 10% credit. So that's definitely nice. And, of course, he'll be just a hop, skip, and a jump away from me.

Here's a couple recent pics of my little dude.

Tbaby likes this.

February 13th, 2013, 06:03 PM
That makes sense to refrigerate the flanges then.

Poor guy! It sounds like he is very sensitive. Hasn't he been prone to rashes and sensitive to wipes, too?

Glad he's growing well!

Is the new day care in the same building as you, too?

February 14th, 2013, 04:01 AM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Love his Valentine's Day outfit

Sorry about the reaction to the shots We had to postpone the Dtap shot for Jordan this time around because it was on backorder (grumble grumble grumble) and the other shot and oral vaccine he received didn't give him any kind of reaction. I'm interested to see if the Dtap does cause one. At his 2-month round, he got a low fever and was super grumpy when he got all of his shots at once...

February 14th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Robyn - Yes, he sure does seems to be sensitive. We figured he actually didn't have a sensitivity to the wipes/diapers after all, since we tried various kinds and nothing made a difference. Still, he's prone to diaper rash and of course these vaccinations. I'm hoping he'll outgrow it.

The new daycare is not in my building, but it's probably just a 2-minute walk a few building over. With bond money, the college has been constructing a new building that will house a variety of programs, including the child care center. The ribbon cutting for that building will be sometime this summer, so that will be awesome... even though it's a little more of a walk from me (still only like 4 minutes).

Dani - A couple of my mommy friends' babies had similar reactions to their vaccinations as Jackson, and one of their pediatricians said the DTaP often causes the worst reaction. That mommy decided to do the DTaP separate from the other 4-month vaccinations, but her daughter was really miserable just from that one alone. So that's why I figure it's the culprit.

February 15th, 2013, 03:16 AM
Expecting #1
Shots day :/ hopefully he feels better today! Poor little guy! At least it's done and over with, well until the next round of shots. He is such a cutie, love the V-day outfit.

February 16th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Crystallee's Avatar Host of the Dec 2012 PR
I think we chatted about this at some point somewhere but we split Emmalyn's into 1 day of dtap, and 1 day of hib and pcv. She had absolutely no reaction either day. No change in appetite, no swelling, no fever, no nothing. I wonder if splitting it might make it similar to our experience so maybe you don't have to have any fussy day at all.

Thanks kiliki for my siggie!
February 19th, 2013, 04:56 PM
6 months & 10 days old

I'm back at work after a four-day weekend, so I'm catching up with journals.

It was a great weekend as a family, even though we didn't do a heck of a lot. We did assemble the new jogging stroller and took advantage of the nice weather. We went jogging as a family, and it was great! I love the stroller, but DH can't get a good stride going with it. So I bought this extender, and it should arrive tomorrow. He's excited about it, as he saw another man in our neighborhood using one while he jogged with his baby. Whatever gets William exercising consistently again!

We met with Jack's soon-to-be teacher this morning. We're in between sessions at the college, so only staff babies were in the center. Jack was quite intrigued with the other munchkins. He absolutely loved his teacher and one of the other caregivers, being the total flirt that he is. We just KNOW we're going to love this place, even if he'll probably suffer from more illnesses during this first year and it will be a bigger impact on our bank account. The peace of mind having him on campus will definitely outweigh those couple of cons.

His teacher also encouraged me to stop by and feed once or twice per day. I told her that I didn't want to mess up his schedule or make it more difficult for him or the staff if I did that. She said that we can just play it by ear in the first couple of weeks until we see what might work best for everyone. She said she understands that it's also hard on the mom, not just the baby. So she really encouraged me to come on my long lunch break to feed/play with him. That will be so special.

While we were there, a couple of the babies were fussy, while the others were quite calm and happy. And those fussy babies had caregivers right there, calming them, holding them the whole time. So I know that Jack will be in good hands and won't just be left to cry. However, I honestly don't think he's going to be too fussy for them. He didn't so much as whimper the whole time we were there, and I know he was really hungry and sleepy by the end of our visit. The stimuli will be so good for him, and I'm really excited for him to interact with other children.

His teacher also said that she will keep my cell # and work extension on hand so she can call if it looks like we need to change up when I stop by to feed him. And if he's doing something new (crawling, walking, etc.), she'll also call to get me over there to see it. I didn't even suggest it, she just said it's a benefit to being on campus with him. So awesome!

So, yeah, I'm really, really happy that we made this decision.

I guess that's it for my update, since it's almost the end of the day and I need to head home. I know I have a few more things to post here, so I'll just do it tomorrow.

February 19th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Glad you like the stroller. I've never heard of the extender. That's neat!

It sounds like things really worked out for the best. I think it could be a great thing for you visit and nurse. It'll certainly help with your pumping concerns.

I think it's great they will call you for firsts but I'm not sure how I'd feel about it. I think I'd rather live in ignorance than think they saw my child's first since there would be no guarantee he'd do it again by the time I got there. But I'm not working so I can't know for sure how I'd feel.

That day care sounds like the perfect place for your precious boy!

February 20th, 2013, 06:29 AM
6 months & 11 days old

Robyn, I started out just responding to your post about seeing Jack's firsts, but then I just kept writing. So I'm turning it into my daily (morning) entry.

At first, DH and I talked about wanting to be oblivious. We even talked about telling daycare (when Jack was just going to be at the in-home daycare) not to tell us when he was doing something new because we wanted to believe that we were seeing him do something for the first time. Then we decided that we'd really rather know when he has done something even if we miss it. It will let us know to look for it when we're home with him. And it really won't make our seeing it for the first time any less special. So the idea that his teacher can call me and I can literally trot over there in 2 minutes to see him crawling or pulling himself up or taking steps makes me so happy... even if I do actually miss something by the time I get over there.

One of my colleagues' sons went to this daycare. She didn't start him until he was 9 months, so he had major separation anxiety. She started out going over once per day to visit with him, but he would get hysterical when she would leave. So she decided it was best for him not to visit. She would, however, peek on him and watch him playing with the other children. She said it was so very special to see that interaction completely unfiltered. Jack is very attached to me, but he doesn't have crying fits when I leave the room or when I go to work in the morning. Of course, he's always with his daddy. I really hope he doesn't take it too hard. I really want him to enjoy daycare and not be sad when I leave. I should be the one who's sad, not my baby boy.

Of course, DH and I are upset about Jack starting daycare. William is really going to be a wreck next week. He's been a jerk to me the past few days, and I know it's completely because he's upset about leaving Jack. He was really happy with the center yesterday, but he picked a fight with me as soon as I got home. And he says that he is so worried about Jack getting the flu from the other "dirty" kids and that babies die from the flu. He definitely has a flare for the dramatic.

So I asked him what was I supposed to do about it? Jack has to start daycare, and this is the best option. Then he got pissed at me and said that he would just never share his feelings about anything again. I'm trying to just brush off all of his remarks and his fight-picking with me because I know this is a very difficult transition for him... not only leaving Jack but also starting a brand new job. It just sucks that he takes his frustration out on me, though, and tries to make me feel like I'm a horrible person for putting Jack in daycare. I'm so totally not "okay" with it, but it's what has to happen. And there's just no sense in dwelling on all the negatives.

I put out all the positive spins on daycare, and he just shrugs them off. After he cooled down last night, he did admit that he is always a pessimist about everything. He absolutely is, and it drives me crazy. I'm hoping that I can come home each day next week and tell him how great Jack did and snap some pics to send him when I go to visit/nurse each day. Perhaps it will make him feel more connected.

My big, burly man is such a sensitive creature.

Last edited by Mom2JDub; February 20th, 2013 at 07:50 AM.
February 20th, 2013, 07:02 AM
That's a good way to look at the firsts. I hope that he does them for you when you get there!

Bert is the same way with taking frustrations out on me. I call it the man temper tantrum. It does suck, even though you know it's just their frustration talking and not anything we've done. You are such a positive person it sounds like you two balance each other well! I hope that things go so well next week that he's able to relax.

Do they have one of those 2 way mirrors for you to view? One day care where I was offered a job but didn't take it since they didn't offer health care had those so parents could peek in. As a teacher it's a bit disconcerting, although I'd never do anything that would be worrisome, but I think it's awesome for parents!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search