A Baby Journal for Jackson

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree189Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC #1 Grads Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 20th, 2013, 09:17 AM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Even though Jordan was really sick for about 2 whole weeks while in daycare, he absolutely LOVES it and loves the caregivers there! No, he can't express how he feels but I've gotten some texts with pictures of him with a big 'ol smile on his face at daycare. He definitely prefers ME and is so happy when I pick him up in the afternoon, but he also isn't so happy to be leaving that I think he hates it or is being mistreated. And sometimes I am able to watch how he "interacts"--he just loves sitting around watching the other kiddos, especially the ones that move

Putting your baby in daycare because you HAVE to work does suck, but I believe it is also an important part of socialization since we can't be there during the day with him. Would I rather be home with him or have a trusted family member watch him? Absolutely, but the benefits of him being around kids his own age is what makes me feel ok about him going.

I'm totally jealous that you have the option of going to be with Jackson during the day. If I were able to, I would try to see Jordan during my lunchtime (but then I'd probably never want to leave him )! I hope he really enjoys being in daycare and that he doesn't pick up any major illnesses! On the plus side, any colds he gets will only help his immune system!
Mom2JDub likes this.

February 21st, 2013, 11:33 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
6 months & 12 days old

Jack won his third weekly photo contest in my PR. So far, he's won for "E is for Elephant," "H is for Hello!" and "J is for Jack in the Box." I always skip entering the week after he wins, so I won't be submitting one for "K." I might skip "L," too, unless something just screams out to me.

Jack is eating solids more frequently. I had the intention of making all of his food, but we're doing a combo of some purees I've made and some store-bought organic baby food. We're still of the mindset that food is for fun and exploration at this stage, so he's getting the vast majority of his nutrition from my breast milk. I'm trying to get him to enjoy oatmeal by adding some apple or pear to it, but he's still not a huge fan of it. I want to make sure he gets plenty of iron, though, so I'm continuing to work on it. He definitely doesn't hate it, so I think I can get him to come around.

Since William has been really down lately, I decided to do something nice for him to hopefully make his first day back at work a little brighter. He has to run several errands on Saturday, so I'm going to use the time to do a little craft project with Jack. A friend shared some ideas for art projects using baby hands, so I'm going to do one of those and frame it. And I'm also printing one of my favorite pics of William and Jack and framing it. I figured he could take one or both to decorate his desk. I'm also going to make a point to snap a pic or two when I visit Jack each day and send them to William.

As much as his irritability has been bothering me lately, I know that it comes from a good place. I am so proud that he is such a good and engaged father who is overprotective of his son. I would rather have it this way than the other way around.

I know there were some other things I really wanted to post that happened over the weekend, but I have major mommy brain today. Jack didn't have the greatest night of sleep, so I'm not functioning at my peak. That does remind me, though, that we did try putting Jack in his crib to start the night. He only made it 20 minutes one night, and he made it 90 minutes the next night. Baby steps. We'll get there though.

I wanted to share a cute video of William feeding Jack yesterday.

Daddy Feeds Jack - YouTube
Belita likes this.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.

Last edited by Mom2JDub; February 21st, 2013 at 03:33 PM.
February 21st, 2013, 02:11 PM
Jordan and I love that video Jack is too cute!!
Mom2JDub likes this.

February 21st, 2013, 03:18 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Such a cute video! And yes, it sounds like William is an amazing father. You and Jack are so fortunate! Sean has won his weekly photo contest twice, I is for Incarceration and K is for Kite so we took this week off. I feel like it's unfair to the other babies if he wins too often! I LOVED that Jack in the Box photo!!!

I think William will love the surprise. So thoughtful!
Nicholle ttc likes this.

February 22nd, 2013, 08:02 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I am up to date reading but waaaay behind posting. I will catch up soon!

BTW Baxter loves the J pic

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
February 22nd, 2013, 10:59 AM
6 months & 13 days old

I'm tired. TGIF! Jack actually had a good night last night, sleeping more than usual, but my DH was SNORING up a storm! He woke me up three times with his snoring. I really wish he'd lose weight. He only snores when he's heavier. Every time he loses some weight, the snoring stops. Maybe when he starts his new job and gets back into an exercise routine, it will get better. The last thing I need is restless nights from his snoring.

I have to stop by Jack's doctor's office in just a bit to pick up some paperwork I dropped off for daycare. It's the final thing they need, even though they said I have a month to get it back to them. Then I'm stopping by Michael's to pick up the craft supplies I need for the daddy art project. That will be my lunch break.

Something I've been meaning to post for a long time but just kept forgetting is about acidophilus. I've mentioned that I started probiotics probably four months ago, at the same time I started Jack on them. Flash back to the spring before we started TTC (2011), I noticed a couple of small warts on my right hand. I just ignored them and figured I would ask my doctor about them the next time I saw her.

Well, then we started TTC, and I just didn't want to treat them at all. They really weren't a big deal. During my pregnancy, though, they started spreading. Still just on my right hand, but I had probably 30 of them by the time I gave birth. They were all very small, the largest only about 1/2 cm and the smallest just a couple mm. They were only slightly pink, so they weren't that noticeable to others. Still, I had gotten very self-conscious about them.

Then I started BF and didn't really want to treat them at that time either. I figured I could just use OTC wart treatment, but I didn't want to introduce anything while I was BF. So I just let them go, figuring I'd get around to treating them sometime.

Now back to the acidophilus. Probably six weeks after I started taking it daily, several of the warts started itching. The next day, I noticed that they were gone, minus some discoloration on the skin where they had been. Over the next couple of weeks, the remaining warts would get itchy and then disappear. Now, they are all gone, except for some very slight discoloration where the largest ones were. No one would ever know that they had been warts though.

I was perplexed at first, but then I had an aha moment. The acidophilus. So I Googled it, and sure enough, probiotics can help with warts. It totally makes sense, since warts are just a bacterial infection. I'm stoked, though, that it's obvious that probiotics are making a physical difference on my body. I'm definitely a believer now.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
nina9809, Nicholle ttc and Belita like this.

February 22nd, 2013, 11:05 AM
I keep forgetting to start probiotics! Glad they're making such a difference for you. I hope that your husband loses the weight and stops snoring, too. I hope your weekend goes well, I'm sure your husband will be pretty emotional.

February 23rd, 2013, 12:10 PM
Expecting #1
I put Ember on a probiotic when she was about a month old. It's supposed to help with digestion and gas. Not that she was really fussy before, but she really isn't that fussy anymore at all. Maybe 20-30 minutes a day and after rocking and burping her, she is all smiles. Probiotics are awesome!!

Your daycare sounds great! It's awesome that you will be so close and hopefully see all the firsts as they are happening. Jackson will benefit from all the socialization and everything will be great. Your gift idea for your DH sounds great and hopefully he will feel more at ease with sending Jackson to daycare soon!

February 25th, 2013, 02:29 PM
6 months & 16 days old

Jackson started daycare today.

I've been really positive about the whole thing, but I got teary last night. I was picturing him crying the whole day while DH and I just go about our business. I was terrified that he would look up at me and start crying as I dropped him off. And DH has had an upset stomach for days, including diarrhea three times yesterday. Gah, nerves are something else!

Fortunately, since today is DH's first day of a new job, it is orientation day. So he didn't need to be at work until 8:30am. He helped with Jack while I got ready, and then he was out the door at 7:00. I was aiming to leave at 7:45, since it's also the first week of the spring semester and parking can be a nightmare. I had loaded up the car and gotten everything ready before DH left, minus a couple of things. So I planned on just nursing Jack until it was time to leave. That's what I always did when DH was home with him, so it wasn't really a shake-up to his schedule. I did have to cut him off from comfort nursing (he was falling asleep), but he was in a good mood anyway.

He usually dislikes the car, but I could hear him playing with Sophie for about the first ten minutes, and then he fell asleep until we arrived. I checked him in, put his change of clothes in his cubby, labeled his bottles and put the extra milk in the freezer, changed his diaper, and then sat him down among some other babies to play. He just looked all around, taking it all in, and then he quickly started playing with some blocks and a rattle. Of course, as he was putting the rattle into his mouth, I thought, "That's the start of his first daycare cold."

I gave him a kiss on the cheek and then headed out. He was so engrossed in playing that he didn't even look up at me as I walked away. It made me want to cry but also made me happy. How could I have left if he would have been upset?

I went over on my lunch break to nurse him. I showed up at noon, and he was sitting on one of the caretakers' lap. I spotted him before he spotted me. He was playing with a toy and looking around. When he saw me, he smiled from ear to ear and squealed. Of course, I went straight to him and picked him up. It felt so wonderful to hold him tight.

The head teacher told me that he'd had a good morning. He took his first bottle well and also napped in a crib. I hope she wasn't confusing him with another child. She said that he had a rough time when a couple of the other babies were crying really loudly. She said that Jack got an absolutely petrified look on his face and then started crying, the kind of cry where his whole body tenses up and he turns bright red in the face and has a period of "silence" when you think he's going to pass out. However, she said that once they got him in a quieter part of the "house," he calmed down nicely. He's just not used to noise like that, and he's never been around crying babies.

I nursed him in one of the nap rooms, and then he pooped. So I changed his diaper and noticed on their changing log that it was his second poop of the day. That's typical of him, so I'm glad it doesn't seem like the new surroundings are messing with his routine. Then I nursed him more, and he fell asleep in my arms. I rocked him for a while, but I had to return to the office. So I tried to put him in one of the cribs in the nap room (the teacher pointed out which crib was "his"), but he woke up during the process from some ruckus in one of the adjacent rooms.

So I brought him back out to the same caretaker who had him when I arrived, and he was all smiles again. It was so hard for me to leave him the second time, but I'm sure he'll be just fine. And it's less than three hours until I get to take him home for the day. I'm glad this whole daycare thing seems to be harder on the mommy than the baby.

William is in orientation today, so I haven't been able to communicate with him. I have sent him pics of Jack with little captions, but that's it. I bet he's a wreck, but I hope the pics have helped a little bit. I think he'll need a little extra Jack time tonight.

Here's a couple pics of my little guy on his first day of school. Waking up in his car seat as we arrived at school and taking it all in when I placed him on the floor to play. I have another one of him smiling while I was changing his diaper when I visited, but my phone is being crazy and I can't upload it or even send it to my email.

February 25th, 2013, 02:34 PM

February 25th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Cait&AngelAbove's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am glad his first day went well! I hope William had a good first day at orientation!

Thank you so much Bokkechick for the perfect siggie!!!
12-10-10 2-6-12
February 25th, 2013, 04:56 PM
That is so great that he had such a good first day!!! I hope it continues and he really enjoys himself there (but those huge smiles upon seeing mommy are definitely the best part of the day )

February 25th, 2013, 07:01 PM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
I'm glad his first day went so well. That's awesome you get to spend your lunch hours with him.

Forever missing my angel 2010

February 26th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Nicholle ttc's Avatar TTC our first!
So glad that everything worked out so well! How was William's first day? I hope the rest of the week goes well for William and Jack!

Natural cycles-August 2011-July 2012
August 2012-October 2012 clomid and progesterone
November 2012-IUI
December 2012, cysts from IUI, on bcp

January 2013-February 2013, long protocol IVF
15 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized with ICSI
All 7 made it to 5 day transfer, 2 were transferred
Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

May 10, 2013, lap sx, Stage 1 endo

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

FET tentatively scheduled for 10/31/13

Have never seen a bfp.

February 26th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Expecting #1
I'm glad his first day is going well! It sounds like the transition is harder on you and your DH than it is on Jackson. That's not a bad thing though

February 26th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Glad his first day went so well! How did it go today?

Remembering how the day care kids always reacted when their parents picked them up is the one thing that makes me kind of wish I had to drop Sean off for a while. I don't really want him in day care, but I want to see that excitement that only small children are able to show.

February 26th, 2013, 05:30 PM
I was also wondering how day 2 went! Munch loves her daycare, which is on the grounds where my SIL works. She used to also go visit/nurse during her lunch and she loves having her so close. I am so glad your whole situ worked out so well. How is William? How was his first couple of days, even though I know it's mostly orientation?

I was thinking that next time you guys come to Esco, perhaps visiting your friends here, that Jack and Bax should have a play date
Mom2JDub likes this.

February 28th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Karin, I would love to have a play date! That would be so much fun!

6 months & 19 days old

It's the fourth day of daycare, and it's going pretty well. I talk with his lead teacher, Kathy, every morning and afternoon about how things are going, strategies she and the staff are using, etc. He is still adjusting to all the commotion. He'll be fine, but when he starts to get tired, all of the ruckus really sets him off. She said that the really great thing about him, though, is that he easily calms down. So they try new things each day to figure out what he really likes/dislikes. He is a very light sleeper, so that's the biggest challenge in a center with crying babies. Still, they got three long naps (45-75 minutes) out of him yesterday.

On Wednesday morning, Kathy decided to wear him around in the mei tai to develop a bond of sorts with him. And she's chosen a couple of the girls (morning and afternoon) to care for him instead of passing him around among the staff. Some babies do fine with that, but in trying to get Jack acclimated to the new environment, she wants as much consistency for him as possible.

He hasn't been taking nearly as many bottles as he did when he was home with William. It definitely concerns me because his metabolism is really fast. He's really tall but not a chunker, so I'm worried that he could lose some ground in gaining weight. For this week and next, I am going over there at 11:30 and 2:30 to nurse him, so that's helping with the eating situation. I know it's normal for babies starting daycare to not eat as much because they're adjusting and a little distressed. So hopefully that will even out. They did get him to eat some solids yesterday afternoon. He had rejected them on Monday and Tuesday, so that's definitely progress.

When I went over to nurse him both times today, Kathy said he'd had a really great day. He played a ton, laughed for them, and was babbling up a storm. And he was all smiles for me when I got there the first time. He was crying the second time, but Kathy said that's because she made the mistake of calling me and placing me on speaker. She said he heard my voice but got upset when he couldn't find me. He fell asleep while I nursed him both times, but he wouldn't stay asleep. Still, I left him smiling and playing again.

I'm loving the ability to go visit and nurse, and I really love the environment. I like most of the caregivers, but there are a couple about whom I'm not crazy. They're good with the children and have a warm demeanor, but they seem lazy. It always seems like others are picking up the slack. The good thing is that Jack is primarily cared for by ones that I like.

The only complaint I've had so far is that they weren't using Triple Paste at every diaper change as I had requested. Actually, they weren't using it at all. And Jackson started to get some redness again in just the first two days. So I talked to Kathy about it, and she had me complete a medicine slip to leave in the front of his changing room cubby. Still, when I visited yesterday afternoon, he pooped when I was nursing him. So I changed his diaper and noticed that only one person had used the Triple Paste (it was a new jar), and I know he'd had a few diaper changes already. So they still weren't paying attention to my instructions. I moved them to the front of his cubby again, and I'll check to see how much was used tonight.

So, overall, daycare has been good. Jackson only broke out into a big cry once when I was leaving. Otherwise, I've left him happy every time.

Unfortunately, it's also the fourth day of William having a fever hovering around 101 degrees. I honestly have no idea how he has managed to go to work every day. No one could ever doubt his work ethic. He also absolutely despises his job. It's not what he expected. In fact, they misrepresented the duties. And the fabulous bonus structure is not nearly as fabulous as they led him to believe. So he's incredibly disappointed that he accepted the job. How could he have known though? And since he did accept it, he can't go back on unemployment and look for something else. So he's stuck there for the time being. He said he knows it's only the first week, but he's never hated a job this much.

The only good thing about it is that they are cool with him working a 6am-2:30pm shift. He's up that early every day anyway, and he can avoid traffic both ways. And, since he's not commuting during rush hour, he can avoid the toll roads. So that will save us a minimum of $200 per month. It will also enable him to schedule interviews for new jobs without needing to request time off. I just wish he could find something he loved… or even liked. This is currently his nightmare job.

Back to his illness. He started feeling "off" on Sunday, and he was worried it could be kidney stones. His lower back hurt. He didn't have any of the other telltale signs though. And he definitely knows kidney stones by now, having had them about ten times. He came home from orientation on Monday feeling like he was getting the flu. He had a 101 fever. He really couldn't afford to call into work on his first official day, though, so he went into work sick on Tuesday.

It's Thursday, and he still has a fever and doesn't appear to be getting any better. We're thinking that it's not the flu after all. I'm worried he could have an infection of some sort, perhaps related to kidney issues. He's had diarrhea a lot, and I know he's probably pretty badly dehydrated. So he drove himself to the ER after work. If he does have an infection somewhere, that can escalate pretty quickly and extremely. At the very least, perhaps they can pump him full of fluids, which would help whether it's the flu, a virus, or kidney stones.

So this week has been uber stressful for me. I'm so frazzled today and exhausted. Every night after I get Jackson to sleep, I have to shower, get my pump and his bottles and things ready for the next day, and squeeze in whatever other chores just can't wait. And you know Jackson still doesn't STTN, and he's wide awake at 5:00 most mornings, 5:30 at best. Since William is going into work so early, I also don't have any help in the mornings when I have to pump and get ready myself. Then I have to get him to daycare on time and then into work myself on time. All the while, I am trying to keep him as happy as possible in order to limit his mental and physical stress. And I've had a couple of deadlines at work this week. So, yeah, kind of stressful. I don't think I've looked this forward to a weekend in a very long time.

Gosh, I didn't intend for the update to be that long. Thanks for hanging in there with me.

February 28th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Urgh. I will write more later..perhaps not until tomorrow, but know that I'm thinking of you!
xx

February 28th, 2013, 06:48 PM
I'm so sorry about William I hope you guys find out what's wrong with him and he heals quickly. Also sorry about the job; that really does suck Keeping my fingers crossed that he finds a better job soon!

That's great that Jackson is enjoying daycare!! It must be hard having to leave him when he's crying; Jordan just started doing that to my DH. I'm just glad I never have to drop him off and get all the smiles when I pick him up

Hang in there, mama! I'll be praying that things get less stressful for you

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search