A Baby Journal for Jackson

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree189Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC #1 Grads Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2013, 03:40 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I'm so sorry about your stressful week.

I feel so bad for William. Not only is he feeling so poorly but also he is now (at least temporarily) stuck in this crap job. The misrepresentation is just one more reason I hate the corporate world. I'm sorry he is dealing with all this. I bet he wishes he were just back home with Jack. Poor guy. I hope his illness clears up soon and he is able to use his flex schedule to is advantage to find a new and better position quickly. As I offered before, if there is anything I can do to help, just holler.

That whole triple paste thing would annoy the heck outta me. It's seemingly a small thing to overlook but its an attention to detail (or lack thereof) that's a problem. The missing triple paste is an inconvenience for you and Jack but what if it were something like "don't feed my child peanuts" kinda thing if the kid had a severe peanut allergy? I bet they wouldn't "forget"about that. I hope you are able to straighten it out. If it were me, I would be very frank with them about it. Hope it gets resolved soon. Otherwise, sounds like its a great daycare!

Sending you all kinds of calming and peaceful thoughts to get you through this last day before the weekend and hoping that the following two days helps you all recharge for the upcoming week ahead.

Big hugs hon xx

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
March 1st, 2013, 04:19 AM
Expecting #1
I'm sorry your hubs is sick. Hopefully he will get some relief after seeing a Dr. Thankfully hi work schedule allows for him to go see a doc and not take time off and hopefully line up some interviews. Maybe after his first week or so, he will settle into is new position and like it a lot more with some time.

It sounds like you are a super busy woman these days. I can't imagine your morning schedule everyday by yourself. Thankfully the weekend is almost here. It does sound like what you are doing is helping Jackson and he seems to be having an easy transition. Hopefully that peace of mind helps with your stress, it's all worth it for your happy baby and you are doing a great job!

March 1st, 2013, 01:41 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Thanks so much for the kind words and support, ladies.

6 months & 20 days old

So William went to the ER after work. They pumped him full of fluids, did some blood work, and checked his kidneys. Good news - his kidneys are fine and his blood was negative for infections. The doctor told him that he's seen lots of stomach viruses this winter, and that's the culprit. He said that William should be over the hump at this point and just to stay hydrated and hang in there. William has been avoiding Jack and me. The doctor said that the virus isn't contagious through saliva, just vomit/feces. So he told William not to handle Jack's bottles and to avoid touching Jack's face/hands as long as William still has symptoms. Holding and kissing are fine though.

He called me at about 10:30 this morning and told me that he was on his way home from work. After William got back from a bathroom visit (), he was sweating profusely. His boss took one look at him and asked if he was okay. This was the first time William told him that he'd been battling this illness all week and had even gone to the ER yesterday. His boss told him that he should just go home and get some rest. So that's what he's doing. I'm thinking about just taking Jack home early, too, when I go for his 2:30pm feeding. We've all had a very long week, especially William.

Last night, I identified eight potential jobs via LinkedIn for William. He's going to apply this weekend. Some of them might be a stretch, but it never hurts to apply. My college actually just posted a job on Wednesday for which I'm making him apply. William has never worked in education, but his skills actually fit this particular position (in student services) quite well. It's probably a long-shot, just because they will likely hire someone with higher education experience, but it's always worth applying. He possesses all of the desired skills/abilities and exceeds the minimum qualifications, so who knows? How awesome would it be to commute to work together (but not actually work together all day ?

I just got back from nursing and visiting with Jack. As an aside, there's another Jack at daycare, so they always call our LO Jackson. It's fine with me, as we interchange the names anyway. He responds to both. I hope we're not confusing him.

Jack has also gotten his first daycare cold. It's just a cough right now. I had heard a couple of the other babies coughing earlier this week, so I knew it was coming. He doesn't seem bothered by it at all, so I'm hoping it just stays a cough. Kathy said that's all it seems to be at this point. I did tell her about William's stomach virus and that we were being really careful with Jack. I assured her that if he starts exhibiting any symptoms at all, I won't bring him on Monday. Since it's spread by vomit/feces, there would be no avoiding spreading it throughout the entire daycare. So I'll be a responsible parent. I don't want to speak too soon, but I hope Jack and I are in the clear.

Kathy's comment to me just before I was heading out was, "What a difference a week makes!" I can tell that Jack is doing so much better there than he was on Monday. He has really taken to Kathy and a couple of the other women. They're definitely no mommy though.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

March 2nd, 2013, 03:13 AM
Expecting #1
I hope you and Jack avoid the stomach virus! Sounds like Jackson a adjusted well to daycare. Glad everything worked out with this daycare!

March 2nd, 2013, 10:19 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope William feels better! That sucks about the job! I can understand why jobs misrepresent themselves to entice employees, but that doesn't make it right. At least he has plenty of time in the afternoons to job hunt for a better job.

That is awful the day care is forgetting the Triple Paste. I hope they are doing better with it now. It sounds like it's an overall great day care, though.

I hope that you and Jack avoid getting William's illness, that Jack's cold stays mild, and that William gets a better job!

March 5th, 2013, 08:51 PM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
I hope William is feeling better. That really sucks about his job, hopefully he can find something he likes soon.

That's annoying about the daycare not using the triple paste. I would definitley say something but it must be nice to go and visit and feed Jack everyday.

Forever missing my angel 2010

March 8th, 2013, 06:50 PM
Nicholle ttc's Avatar TTC our first!
Poor William! You guys have had a rough week! F/X'd that he finds a new job that he really likes! Also, glad that day care is getting a bit better. Have a wonderful weekend!

Natural cycles-August 2011-July 2012
August 2012-October 2012 clomid and progesterone
November 2012-IUI
December 2012, cysts from IUI, on bcp

January 2013-February 2013, long protocol IVF
15 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized with ICSI
All 7 made it to 5 day transfer, 2 were transferred
Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

May 10, 2013, lap sx, Stage 1 endo

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

FET tentatively scheduled for 10/31/13

Have never seen a bfp.

March 15th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

March 15th, 2013, 02:55 PM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

March 18th, 2013, 05:31 AM
Been thinking about you, wondering how things are going and how William is feeling? Any job prospects?

March 18th, 2013, 05:56 PM
how is everything going?

March 21st, 2013, 02:54 PM
7 months & 12 days old

It's been way too long since I updated! Thank you all so very much for checking in on me. It's been a crazy few weeks, but I'm hoping I'll be able to get back into the swing of JM now. I have a lot of catching up to do on each and every one of you. This update will be a long one, obviously, and I might even end up breaking it up. You are warned, and I understand if you don't get around to reading it all.

So my last update was just after Jack's first week of daycare. He had a little bit of a cough that Friday, and I had hoped that would be the extent of it. Unfortunately, that was just wishful thinking. We went about our daily business on Saturday, and he seemed fine. Then he took a pretty long nap that afternoon and woke up really warm. At first, I thought it was because I'd had him all wrapped up in a blanket. So I gave him time to cool down. Even 30 minutes later, though, he had a fever of 102.6. That night sucked! He had a really hard time sleeping, despite using the humidifier, sucking the snot out of his nose, taking him in the steamy bathroom, etc. He was obviously still sick on Sunday and again on Monday. He had a fever around 102 at points each day. His doctor had told us not to worry too much about the fever as long as it stayed below 103 and just keep doing what we were doing. (I should add, he wasn't acting like his ears or throat hurt him.)

I was scheduled for vacation on that Thursday and Friday because my SIL and BIL were coming to visit. So I ended up being off that entire week. I thought Jackson was doing better because he woke up fever-free on Wednesday, but it came back in the afternoon. So we went to the doctor Thursday morning. He had redness/inflammation in his ears and throat, so she prescribed antibiotics just to be safe. Within about a day and a half, he was feeling a lot better.

I was so upset, though, because he weighed the exact same thing he'd weighed at his 6-month appointment. The adjustment to daycare and then the illness really set him back. And, of course, my milk supply dwindled a lot, even though I tried to work in pumping as much as possible. It just wasn't easy to do, and he wasn't eating nearly as much as usual, and I was sick myself.

SIL and BIL's trip was a little bit of a bummer because Jackson was so clingy toward me. He would cry if anyone else held him. If I was out of his sight for a second, he would start crying. It was very sweet, but also kind of sad for SIL, who just loves him to pieces. We missed out on going to Disneyland that Saturday because I didn't feel that Jack was well enough. We did go to the beach that Sunday, though, for just a couple of hours. He loved it and was doing so much better, just in time for SIL and BIL to leave.

So he went back to daycare that Monday (3/11), and I worried he would have some major regression. He actually did okay though. I do go over to feed him twice per day, but I noticed at the end of Monday that he'd only had one 4-ounce bottle. Even with my two feedings, that's WAY LESS than he would typically eat in a day. I told a couple of the girls who care for him the most to really keep working with him to eat because he'd already had a setback in weight. Then on Tuesday, same thing. Only one stinkin' bottle. I was so frustrated. I feed him some solids in the morning and in the evening, but he's not always interested in eating a lot. So it's so important for him to eat plenty while he's in daycare.

To make matters worse, the antibiotics gave him a diaper rash and what I thought was the start to thrush on his tongue. I'd seen it before, so I made an appointment ASAP to get a prescription. I actually made the appointment with a new pedi in the network to whom I'd been thinking of switching. I LOVE her, so I went forward with that process as well. Anyway, she said it was definitely the start to thrush and even pointed out a lining on his lip that I hadn't even noticed. I told her that Nystatin was pointless and didn't work on his diaper rash or his thrush the first time. So she prescribed Diflucan. What a difference! I noticed the furriness on his tongue dissipate within a day! Unfortunately, I have to give it to him for 14 days. At least he doesn't loathe the taste of it the way he did the antibiotics.

Oh, and the kicker to that appointment was that Jackson had actually LOST weight! So he was down 7 ounces, thanks to the adjustment to daycare, his illness, and then the adjustment to daycare yet again.

On Wednesday morning, I told his lead teacher that it's just not acceptable for him to only be drinking one bottle per day, even with my two nursing sessions. And I made it clear that a baby who, on average, had gained 1 2/3 pounds per month since birth should not suddenly lose half a pound in a month. One of the girls, Jasmine, is so incredibly sweet. She's my absolute favorite and knew how stressed I was about him rejecting the bottle. So, on a whim, she tried a different kind of bottle that they have on hand. And he sucked down 5 ounces in no time flat. The frustrating thing is that he still takes the Tommee Tippee bottles just fine for us but won't for them. Whatever it takes, though, so they're using the mOmma bottles for him now. His appetite is also totally back, so I hope he will catch back up with his weight gain.

He made it through the third week (really second since he missed a week in between) of daycare just fine. We actually had such a great weekend (3/16-17). He was all smiles and laughs and just the sweetest little guy. The previous two weeks were just different because he wasn't feeling well. He was clingy and fussy and not his normal self. So it was wonderful to have my sweet boy back.

(Sidebar - We were rear-ended on Saturday. We were stopped at a light. Some guy in a van crashed into the guy behind us, who then bumped into us. I heard the crash, looked in my rearview mirror and saw the guy behind us moving forward, and I actually had the foresight to tap the gas. I just barely missed being hit. So we have no damage, other than the guy's license plate imprinted in our bumper. Even though we were fine and hardly even felt the nudge, we filed a claim to get our bumper painted and also get a new car seat.)

On Monday morning, Jack was super-fussy, which is unusual for him. He might complain for me a little bit when I get ready in the mornings, but I can usually keep him pretty entertained so I can go about my business. He wasn't having any of my tactics though. He cried every time I left his side, and I just knew something was up. However, other than having a stuffy nose, he seemed fine. When I went over to nurse him at 11:30, he had just woken up. He seemed really warm, but I thought it was because he was swaddled and the room was pretty warm. He was in really good spirits, and he nursed fine. So I didn't worry too much about it.

At 12:30, I got a call from daycare that I needed to come pick him up. He had a 101.5 fever and was just being really lethargic. They even said that he was so lethargic that he couldn't even muster up a good cry. I was over there in 5 minutes to pick him up, and he had fallen asleep on Jasmine. Another very weird thing, considering there were all kinds of babies playing/screaming around him. When I got him home, his fever had jumped to 102.4. I gave him Advil and lots of cuddles.

He had a really rough night and woke up to a 103.3 fever on Tuesday. So we stayed home yet again. He had another rough night, but he woke up fever-free on Wednesday. I went ahead and kept him home because I feared that the fever would return. Fortunately, it never did, so he's back at daycare today. He was pretty much back to normal, personality-wise, yesterday, but he still has a stuffy nose and lots of phlegm. BTW, all the while, William and I have been sick with colds too, but that's nothing compared to watching our baby be sick.

As a general Jack update, not accounting for daycare and illness, he's babbling up a storm, mostly dadadadada. He's said mama a few times now, but he doesn't know what he's saying yet. And he recently starting doing a little bit of bebebebe babbling. It's still mainly dada though. He also just sprouted a tooth. I've been able to feel the nub for a while, but I noticed the tip had broken through for the first time yesterday. It's the bottom-right front tooth, and it looks like the left one isn't far behind. He still isn't crawling. In fact, it's almost like he's gotten lazier about it. I think his illness really got in the way of the physical development for the past three weeks, especially since he lost some weight. Despite that, though, he moves around a lot better to get to things that he wants, whether by rolling, scooting, or lunging. So I guess he has made progress.

It's really hard in some ways to be in a PR because it's hard not to compare Jack to other babies. He hit so many milestones way ahead of schedule when he was younger, but he seems to be lagging behind a little bit in some areas now. It's silly, really, since it's not unusual for a 7-month-old to not be crawling yet, but several other babies in my PR (and some that are younger) are already crawling and pulling themselves up into standing. So it's hard not to compare, even though he's really doing just fine.

He's definitely still ahead of the curve in other areas though. The one thing that he's been doing for a while that I just LOVE is completing a task that I start for him. For example, he has a sit-to-stand walker. He sits in front of it right now and plays with the buttons, lights, etc. Well, there is this little "door" that swings open and says, "Peekaboo, I see you!" Every single time I open it and say the words along with the toy, he will stop whatever he's doing to close it. It also has a phone on it, which he loves to pull off and chew on. When you hang up the phone, the toy says, "Thanks for calling!" So I will hang it up several times in a row and repeat the words. He will then pull it off and hang it up and then look up at me and smile as I say, "Thanks for calling!" I don't know where that kind of developmental milestone falls on the spectrum, but I feel like that's pretty meaningful, since no one else in my PR has really mentioned that kind of interaction with their babies yet.

One of the women was ecstatic last week that her baby started banging toys together. (She has a five-year-old who is severely autistic, so he never met milestones like that until he was much, much older. She's on high alert for any signals of autism, so every milestone like that is very important to her.) I paused when she posted about it because it's something that Jackson's been doing for quite some time, like probably a couple of months. I'd have to look back through my journal, but I know I posted about William watching Jack take two hanging toys, bash them together, and just laugh and laugh every time. Since then, he's been banging toys together pretty much daily. So I looked up that milestone, and it's considered an "advanced" milestone for a 7-month-old. He's also been passing objects from hand to hand for quite a while, and I know that's advanced for his age as well.

So, yeah, I know that Jack is doing GREAT in some areas, even if mobility doesn't seem to be one of them.

Okay, update on me now! My milk supply really dwindled over the past three weeks, but I've been trying really hard to pump as much as possible. Jack's appetite is back, so that's helping. I've had two good pumping sessions today, so I'm getting back to normal. I know it wouldn't be the end of the world for it to dry up, but I'd really like to BF until Jack is a year old. The one sort of bright spot with Jack not eating much for that phase is that my freezer stash has built up, even despite my supply decrease. I thought AF was starting yesterday because I spotted in the morning, but I've had nothing since that one time I went to the bathroom. Weirdness.

William update - He told his boss that he felt that the job duties were misrepresented, as 20-40% of his the duties were never mentioned in the job description or the three interviews. So he said that he'd really like to just do the job that he understood he was hired to do. His boss actually agreed to those terms. Still, William has applied for quite a few other jobs because he feels like this company could easily change their minds or even fire him. In the meantime, though, he actually really likes his coworkers and his schedule and the job itself.

And one final really big piece of news! Jack will no longer be in daycare starting 4/8. When SIL and BIL were out visiting, we all got to talking about how they have been saving money and want to move to either Phoenix or Seattle. They are sick of Texas and really want a change. Well, the last night they were here, they and DH got to talking about the possibility of them moving to California. They never really thought of it as a possibility, but they really liked the idea once it was mentioned. BIL's line of work is something that is fairly easy to find pretty much anywhere in the country. It's stable employment with a pretty decent salary. He also possesses a number of licenses/certifications that are above and beyond the typical requirements of his job.

So that led SIL to say that if they lived near us, she would love to babysit Jack. She is a stay-at-home-wife and really doesn't have much aspiration to do anything else. She has gone to school (pretty leisurely) to get a degree in child development/social work, but she is unapologetic about wanting to be a "kept" woman (her word, not mine). They also don't have plans to have children of their own (it's a personal topic, but I think there's some health issues at play).

So much more discussion ensued, but in a nutshell, they are moving out here to stay with us until Adam finds a job and they save money to move out on their own. Adam has actually already applied for several jobs but knows it will be easier to find employment if he's here. Their lease is up in April, so they figured they'd make the transition sooner rather than later. So we'll cover their room and board, and Teresa will provide free childcare. Once they get settled and find their own place, we plan to pay Teresa for her services, even though she said she'd love to do it for free. Still, it will be much less expensive than our current daycare, and Jack will be with someone he loves and who loves him. And maybe he won't be sick all the **** time!

Okay, I said that was the final piece of news, but I guess I lied. DH and I are definitely going to start TTC in August. We want to wait until Jack is a year old, and I also haven't gotten a PP period yet. If it were up to DH, we would start TTC right now. He has a terrible case of baby fever! Things are just way too chaotic right now to be pregnant, and I'm also still very much enjoying being a mommy to just one special little guy. So DH probably thinks we're NTNP, but I think I'll still make him use condoms. I don't know, though, maybe I will join the NTNP board and just see where things go.

Okay, I leave you with some pics and a couple of videos. I have another video that's much longer of Jack babbling "dadadada," but I don't have it uploaded to YouTube yet. So here's a very short one. And another of us having a raspberry-blowing contest. He's just laughing at me at first, but then he joins in the fun.

Jack Says Dada - YouTube

Jack and Mommy Blow Raspberries - YouTube

Last edited by Mom2JDub; March 22nd, 2013 at 10:21 AM.
March 21st, 2013, 05:15 PM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So nice to see an update from you!!
Reading about jack makes me feel like we have the same baby--Jordan is also not very interested in moving; he only just started rolling over regularly. But he is advanced in other ways like beating the toys, moving them from hand to hand, and he is starting to learn the "purpose" of some of his toys as well as cause and effect. It is so amazing watching them learn!

That is awesome that Jack doesn't need daycare next month! I am jealous, and I hope he stays illness-free for a long long time!

And hooray for NTNP-ish I hope we can be pregnant with our second babies at the same time!

March 22nd, 2013, 05:56 AM
Expecting #1
Great videos! Sorry your little man has been sick. Lets hope he stays healthy until your SIL starts watching him! I'm sure Jack is doing just fine with milestones! Not all babies ever crawl and go right to walking. It's great to compare your baby to other people with a baby around the same age, but it can be a bad thing as well. I'm sure Jackson is doing perfectly fine developmentally.

I'm glad your DH was able to have a good conversation with his boss. I hope he is happier with the job now that his job duties are more of what was described.

March 26th, 2013, 05:49 PM
7 months & 17 days old

Jack is on his third illness! Fortunately, this one just seems to be a runny/stuffy nose and sneezing. I'm relieved he's been fever-free, and he's kept his normal happy-go-lucky personality. However, he's been sleeping very poorly at night because he's having issues breathing and getting comfortable. He seems to be almost through this one, though, so I hope it will be his last daycare illness. This is a short week for me, as we get a holiday on Friday for Cesar Chavez Day. And then he just has to make it through next week. Then it's full-time care by SIL.

I've missed so much work due to his illnesses that it will be nice to be here consistently. I am so lucky to have an understanding boss and plenty of sick leave. However, I get so behind when I'm home because it's very difficult to squeeze in work when I'm also caring for a sick baby. I've been so busy when I'm at work, which is why I've not been on JM nearly as much as I used to be. Perhaps things will settle down a bit once SIL is here as well.

My milk supply is still a little less than it used to be, but it's almost back to normal. It's also hard to tell for sure because I do nurse Jack twice during my work day as well. I'm pumping about 10 ounces total (down from 20 ounces previously), so I'm sure it's still somewhat impacted by the illness/change of routine. However, it wouldn't surprise me if he nurses almost those extra 10 ounces during my two visits each day. Either way, I have enough milk to keep up with him, so I'm not worried about it.

They've been making an effort to really feed him more, and he actually went through all three bottles yesterday in addition to our two nursing sessions. Of course, she sent one of those warmed bottles home with me. She had started warming it just before I came to pick him up. So DH fed him when we got home, and I pumped again. No biggie.

It's been a while since we voted, but our PR's superlatives are set. You can see my blinkies below. Jack really raked them in, especially for his charming ways. We've also won quite a few of the weekly photo contests. Since his latest win was "N is for Noodles," we're stopping out this week and maybe next. I've not been on JM really at all, except to keep that contest going, since I made that commitment. As I said before, I'm hoping to change that.

One of my good friends came to visit over the weekend. It was a quick visit, but it was great to catch up. And I even got away from the house for a while to treat myself to lunch, a pedicure, a few new tops, a pair of pants, and some stuff from The Body Shop. I just don't treat myself to anything anymore, so that felt nice. Of course, the clothes were really out of necessity, since I'm still trying to make do with clothes that fit my much smaller bust. So I bought a few summery things to accommodate the girls, and I also picked up four cheap camisoles from H&M so I can wear them under some blouses that reveal too much cleavage. Almost all of my other camisoles (and I have a ton) are also too small in the chest.

Still no period. So that one-time spotting was definitely a fluke for now. Even though it's nice not to have one, I kind of want one because I'll be able to track my cycles again. I really should be careful what I wish for though.

I guess that's about it for now.

March 27th, 2013, 05:39 AM
Urgh. Sick again, poor kiddo! Hopefully this is all working to build him a heckuva immune system. It is so great about your SIL being able and willing to care for him. I bet you can't wait for that!

March 27th, 2013, 06:12 AM
Nicholle ttc's Avatar TTC our first!
So happy that your SIL will be watching Jack when they move to CA. I bet that's such a relief! So sorry that Jack is sick again. I'm glad that your work is so flexible. Yay for some me time. I'm glad that you had a great day with your friend!

Natural cycles-August 2011-July 2012
August 2012-October 2012 clomid and progesterone
November 2012-IUI
December 2012, cysts from IUI, on bcp

January 2013-February 2013, long protocol IVF
15 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized with ICSI
All 7 made it to 5 day transfer, 2 were transferred
Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

May 10, 2013, lap sx, Stage 1 endo

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

FET tentatively scheduled for 10/31/13

Have never seen a bfp.

March 27th, 2013, 06:42 AM
Crystallee's Avatar Host of the Dec 2012 PR
Sorry to hear that he is sick again Awesome update besides that! Way to rake in the superlatives.

Thanks kiliki for my siggie!
March 27th, 2013, 05:33 PM
7 months & 18 days old

I just typed "7 months & 18 days old" and had to do a double-take. How on earth do I have a 7 1/2-month-old? Wasn't I seriously just bringing him home from the hospital yesterday?

I mentioned that the CDC (child development center) is feeding Jack a little better than they were before, but I still have major concerns about them feeding him as frequently as I would like. And they haven't attempted solids since the first week, even though I've had multiple conversations encouraging them to try. I even told them that I would only come over to nurse once per day if that would fit their schedule better and enable them to work in solids. However, nothing has changed on that front.

I'm really on edge about him losing half a pound in a month (instead of gaining 2 pounds, which is what he averaged for his first six months of life). It's not like I can see his ribs or anything, but I know my baby and know that it's abnormal for him to have lost 7 ounces. It's been a real source of anxiety for me. Then, this morning, one of my friends on FB told me that he looks so tiny compared to her baby. She wasn't saying it in a negative way. In fact, she has anxiety over her baby girl being so big, as in super-chunky. Still, it made me feel even crappier about his weight loss.

I showed up this morning, put his bottles in the fridge, and went to the changing room to get him in a dry diaper before I headed to work. Well, Janette, who is the former director (retired) is filling in this week while the current director is at a conference. I should say, too, that a lead teacher provides oversight to the infant center, and the director typically only pops her head in from time to time. The lead teacher, however, is on a personal leave of absence. So Janette has been overseeing the infant center this week.

I go way back with Janette, since I helped her secure a couple of grants. She's a super-awesome lady with a passion for children, and she also has a Ph.D. in child development. So I've been chatting with her a lot this week. This morning, she started talking with me about how Jack did yesterday afternoon. She said that he had been really fussy even though I had just fed him 30 minutes before. So she asked one of the girls to heat him a bottle. The girl said, "But his mom just fed him." And Janette said, "That doesn't mean he's not still hungry." So they heated a bottle, and he sucked it down and fell asleep. When he woke up, he was happy the rest of the afternoon (even playing by himself on his back) until I picked him up.

Imagine that! They feed him, and he's happy!

So I told her all about the issues I've had with them feeding him as much as I know he needs... that some days they only give him one bottle. And she was shocked. It's even on his meal plan that he should have a bottle every two hours, but they don't follow it. Apparently, they think they know my baby better than I do. So she said that even with my two nursing sessions, he should be drinking all three bottles. I told her that I wholeheartedly agree and have complained several times to different staff, but it's never been fully resolved.

When I told her he had lost half a pound since starting daycare, she was so apologetic. Then she asked me if he's eating solids yet. I told her that I feed him in the morning and the evening and have asked them to feed him too. In the early morning, he's not always interested in solids, so I would love for them to work it into his schedule. However, they've told me that he rejects solids, so they stopped offering them apparently. She said that they will definitely start giving him solids now.

And she said she would talk to all of the staff about his meal plan. Even though it's obviously in the book that they're all supposed to read, it's apparent that they don't. I called over at 2:00 because I always call before I come to nurse him in the afternoon (in case he's sleeping or just had a bottle). She said that they were currently feeding him more solids (he had a bunch this morning), and he'd also had a bottle. I had a meeting from 3:00 to 4:00, so I told her I would just pick him up at 5:00 instead of visiting. She promised the third bottle would be gone when I got there.

Someone is finally listening to me just in time for SIL to start watching him. I'm going to try not to obsess about his weight anymore, and I'm just hoping he'll start packing it on when he's in SIL's care. It's so hard to see him lose ground like that. I can't even express how frustrated I've been. The one bright point is that his new doctor told me that he's healthy and looks great. So I really should stop worrying, but that's easier said than done.

One more thing, Janette told me that Jack seems to be really advanced in his cognitive development. I told her that he's just not taken too much interest in crawling yet. She said that some babies focus on different types of milestones at different times. And he's obviously focusing on the cognitive milestones over the physical ones. And she also pointed out that he's probably not as far from crawling as I may think because he has a way of getting to toys when he really wants them, even if it's not by crawling just yet. So that made me feel really good.

March 27th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Ok, all caught up! That was a lot in one reading

I'm so sorry Jack has been so sick, poor little guy! How exciting having your SIL come to babysit! It does make it easier to have a babysitter you know!

How exciting that you plan to ttc again!!!! And you only wanted one . I am so excited for you even if its not for another few months before it becomes official.

Thanks for the update!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search