A Baby Journal for Jackson

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree189Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC #1 Grads Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 9th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Expecting #1
I hope you enjoyed your day off outside with Jack. Yay for Jack being done with daycare. I am sure he is going to love spending time with his aunt all day.

I think traveling with a little one is actually pretty easy, its just the lugging of stuff that makes it hard. When they get more mobile, I think it will be harder. I am planning a trip this summer with Ember and another one in the fall for a wedding and I am worried that she will get restless sitting on a plane for so long. When she was younger she just nursed and comfort nursed and slept the whole trip. Now she doesnt nurse as long so I know traveling will be a little harder. I am sure you will figure out a good gameplan for the trip and everything will go smoothly.

April 9th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
8 months old

Yep, eight months old! I haven't taken his monthly pics yet. I'll try to do it when I get home this evening, but it might have to wait until the weekend. I hate it when his monthly milestones fall on Monday-Wednesday.

SIL and BIL arrived around 3:00 yesterday afternoon. They were exhausted! BIL's grandmother passed away a couple of weeks ago, so her funeral was the weekend before this past weekend. They had driven from Fort Worth (TX) to southwestern Missouri and back for that. Then they had to drive from Fort Worth to Omaha to drop off their dog with MIL. It would have been a lot easier if the dog could have caught a flight, but she's too old and frail. They were worried she wouldn't make it. Then they had to drive from Omaha to here. So they are really just wanting to veg out for the remainder of the week. They did the math and figured they've driven over 3,200 miles in less than two weeks!

Our weekend was good. I did a ton of laundry, and we bought a lot of groceries. We also accomplished plenty of cleaning and organizing, to try to make some room for the in-laws. This weekend, we're installing some shelving in our garage, which should help free up even more space. Even though I purged our wardrobe at the beginning of my pregnancy, it's apparent that I need to do a whole lot more purging. Perhaps two weekends from now.

On Saturday, Jack said his first real word! We actually think he'd been saying it for a week or so before Saturday, but it is just so obvious now. He babbles all the time, but he doesn't seem to correlate dada or mama to either of us. His first real word is...

"Kitty," which he pronounces "kee." He loves our cat. When she enters the room, his eyes light up and he gets so excited. He'll start moving back and forth and squeal. If he's on the floor, he lunges at her. If we're holding him, he tries to reach out for her. We will bring her over to him to pet her. He likes to massage her fur and give her kisses. She's not a very affectionate cat, but she purrs when he touches her. For most of the day, she camps out in our bedroom, usually under the bed or in the closet. I think this is why he always gets so excited to see her, since she's kind of elusive. Every time she enters the room, we say, "It's the kitty!" Well, lately, Jack started saying, "kee" when he spots her. He said it so quietly at first that we didn't really think anything of it. On Saturday, it was just so obvious, looking right at her and saying, "kee." Then he did it again, and again, and again. Every time he sees her now.

His second tooth has also sprouted. It started surfacing on Friday, and the tip broke through over the weekend. While I'm going to miss his gummy grin, those little teeth are so cute!

Yesterday I had lunch with my pregnant friend from work. The plan was to have a picnic at the little park on campus, but it was horribly windy yesterday. Dust and debris was blowing everywhere! So we had a picnic in my office instead. Jack played with a bunch of toys on the blanket while she and I sat and ate lunch. He was such a good little boy and a flirt as usual.

I'm also happy to report that he is exclusively napping in his crib now. Those 3 1/2 months that DH got to spend with him were certainly priceless, but DH really spoiled him when it came to napping. It surprisingly didn't take much correcting for me to get him to nap in his crib. I credit daycare with helping out in that regard.

So this morning, he woke up at 5:30. I changed him, got him dressed for the day, and then we headed downstairs so I could pump. SIL took over at 6:30, and I showered and got ready for the day. Then I nursed him to sleep before I left and transitioned him to his crib. The report when I got to work was that he napped for 40 minutes after I left, so that was almost an hour-long nap. A very good nap for him! SIL has sent me a few pics today, and she said he's just been a joy. I told her that as long as she keeps him on a rotating schedule of feeding, playing, changing diaper, and sleeping every 2-3 hours, he's a happy camper and a pretty darn easy baby. She's also been able to get him to nap in his crib, so I'm not sure what DH's problem is. I'm thinking he just likes to cuddle with Jack.

I'll post some monthly pics as soon as we get around to taking them.
Nicholle ttc likes this.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
April 11th, 2013, 03:55 AM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
How cute is first word is kitty or kee . I'm not sure what it is with little kids and animals but they sure seem to love them .

Sounds like the first day with the inlaws went really well and wow, that is a lot of driving!!! It's nice they have time to recover from all of that. I hope the transition to having your inlaws stay with you goes smoothly.

Forever missing my angel 2010

April 11th, 2013, 04:21 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Awww "kee". I can just hear him saying that! I hope that your family has recovered from their journey!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
April 11th, 2013, 05:42 AM
Nicholle ttc's Avatar TTC our first!
I have a feeling that SIL is going to do a great job with Jack!

Natural cycles-August 2011-July 2012
August 2012-October 2012 clomid and progesterone
November 2012-IUI
December 2012, cysts from IUI, on bcp

January 2013-February 2013, long protocol IVF
15 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized with ICSI
All 7 made it to 5 day transfer, 2 were transferred
Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

May 10, 2013, lap sx, Stage 1 endo

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

FET tentatively scheduled for 10/31/13

Have never seen a bfp.

April 12th, 2013, 11:50 AM
8 months & 3 days old

Jack has had a great first week with the in-laws. He's not being fussy for SIL, except for sometimes in the afternoon. That's always his fussy period, even for me. SIL learned quickly to just schedule a walk for that time of day. He loves being outside, and it distracts him from fussiness. Yesterday, they went out to the pool, not inside the pool, just the pool area. Another woman and her 1-year-old and 3-year-old were out there. Apparently, Jack had a blast playing with the 3-year-old boy, who just thought Jack was adorable.

Jack is eating solids really well for SIL too. It's amazing what a distraction-free environment will do for a baby! He's also exclusively napping in his crib, even when I put him down. For 3 1/2 months, DH insisted that Jack would wake up every single time he tried to put him down. I'm thinking, more and more, that DH just liked Jack sleeping on him and/or was afraid that Jack would wake up and just didn't try. Whatever the case, Jack is doing fine with napping in his crib, as long as we take the time to make sure he's really asleep first.

I'm really looking forward to my weekend with the little guy because I've missed my visits with him during the day. Sacrificing those, however, is definitely worth it. SIL and BIL are also looking forward to getting out and doing some fun stuff this weekend. They're planning to go to Griffith Park for a hike on Saturday, and I'm not sure what they have planned for Sunday (probably the beach since they love it there).

BIL already has an interview scheduled for next week. He's also gotten the ball rolling on a couple of California-specific certifications that most jobs in his field will require. I figured he'd want to take at least this first short week to just relax a bit, but he's eager to get started with work. This particular job for which he's interviewing doesn't pay as well as he would expect (nor what he was making in Texas), but he said it's a good start until he finds a better job. And it also comes with a good benefits package. So hopefully he gets it!

I hope to swing by Carter's on my way home from work to pick up a "Grandma is the Best" onesie. I want to take a pic of Jack wearing it and then frame it in some "grandma" picture frames as part of the Mother's Day gifts for our moms. And I must take his 8-month pics as well, hopefully this afternoon!

April 12th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It may either be that Jack just won't do it for William or he's not trying hard enough. I love having Sean sleep on me and he'll often fall asleep while nursing and I'll just leave him so Sean does better when other people transition him to some sleeping surfaces (like the car seat or the swing) than me.

That's great it's working out so well with your SIL helping out. I'm sure it's a double-edged sword for you. I noticed a big difference in how Sean did with the various situations we've been in over the past week.

Sean was old enough that he did some playing while on the plane when we flew. I had my diaper bag with a few toys that I knew he'd love in any situation and nursed him to sleep after we boarded. He slept half the way and then was wide awake. It was much easier on the flight down to FL when we had the empty seat between us and I could lay Sean down on that seat to play vs. when we were right next to each other. I sat in a window seat and Sean liked looking out the window when it wasn't too sunny for his eyes. He didn't exactly time his nursing with the take off and landings so a binky helped and giving him a link to chew on helped, too. My friend is flying out here with her 8 month old on Monday and I can let you know how it goes with her.

I hope your BIL finds a good job soon!

April 15th, 2013, 05:50 PM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
That is so great Jack is doing so well for your in-laws. It's definitley nice that he can have personalized attention.

Good luck to your BIL! I hope is able to find something quickly and not take as long as it did for my MIL.

Forever missing my angel 2010

April 16th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Expecting #1
I hear you on the lunch time visits. I love my lunch time visits with Ember. Like you said though, its a better situation for Jack so its for the best. I'm glad its going so well with the ILs. It was such a perfect time for them to move out your way too.

April 24th, 2013, 12:19 PM
8 months & 15 days old

I can't believe it's been 12 days since I updated! So much for writing more consistently.

Jack is doing so well with SIL. He is also going through a growth spurt right now and wants to eat all the time. I can see and feel such a big difference in him in just the past two weeks. He's making up for that weight loss when he was in daycare! His 9-month check-up is in less than three weeks. I'm hoping he will be back on his growth curve or at least moving in that direction.

Last week, I retired three of his 9-month sleepers that were on the smaller side. He outgrew them in length, not girth. Well, last night, I noticed that he's really filling out his larger 9-month sleepers as well. His 12-month PJs look so big though! I guess it's been that way at every transition, but I just feel like they're going to swallow him.

He started waving. Mamas of younger babies reading this, definitely make a concerted effort to wave, point, and clap your hands. I just never thought about doing it much. Within just a week of waving consistently to him, he started doing it back. It's a lovely thing to see from across the room when I leave for work each morning.

He's also made so much progress on the crawling front. He will now put himself onto his hands and knees from sitting, and he will rock back and forth. He still isn't moving forward much, mostly moving in circles and going backwards. That, combined with rolling, lunging, and pulling himself forward, seems to get him where he wants to be despite not officially crawling. I figure that since he is now putting himself into the crawling position on a very consistent basis and not complaining once he gets there, it probably won't be too much longer before he takes off.

I'm making more of an effort to sit him near the table/couch when he's playing on the floor. I want to see if he will try to pull himself to standing. He has loved pushing off with his legs since he was teeny tiny, and he bears weight really well on them. If I stand him next to the couch or table, he'll hold himself up like that without a problem. However, he's never pulled himself to standing. When I started thinking about it, though, he's never really right next to anything that would enable him to even try. When I put him awake in his crib, he pulls himself all over the place (to his knees, to his side, sitting, etc.). So perhaps given the opportunity, he'll move to pull himself to standing.

Ever since his second tooth popped through, he's been babbling a lot more than just dada. He really, really likes to enunciate the "B" sound. It's pretty darn cute to watch his mouth. He's combining a lot of sounds, too, like "Badababa. Gabadadagoo." He's quite the conversationalist.

I booked my flight for June, and my sisters are in on the surprise. My dad is going to flip out when he sees Jack for the first time.

I guess that's about it for now. I'll leave you with a few pics.

April 24th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Great update! I haven't been working on waving with Sean, but at the end of every Gymboree class they have Gymbo the Clown puppet come out and the babies wave to him. A few weeks ago Sean started waving back and now he'll do the waving. It's so cute! It's amazing how mobile they are before they even start crawling! Sean is just starting all of that so it really reminds me that I need to babyproof!

Glad it's going well with SIL and that Jack is gaining weight well. Has he dropped any nursing sessions yet or are his solids in addition to that? How much does he eat for solids at this point?

April 25th, 2013, 05:31 AM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good update, it was nice to read one from you after your 2-week hiatus

I've been meaning to ask you--how many hours are you away from jack and how much does he eat while you're gone (normally, not with his growth spurt ). Also, how many oz are you able to pump while at work?

April 25th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belita View Post
Glad it's going well with SIL and that Jack is gaining weight well. Has he dropped any nursing sessions yet or are his solids in addition to that? How much does he eat for solids at this point?
He hasn't really dropped any nursing sessions. He's eating solids twice per day (mid-morning and mid-afternoon). Once in a while, I will also feed him solids in the evening, and SIL sometimes gives him some puffs or yogurt melts as a snack. He mainly just plays with those though.

The way we're approaching solids so far is really just as a bonus. So he nurses/takes the same # of bottles as always, but then we add the solids on top of it. On a typical day, he will eat 2-3 ounces of fruit, 2-3 ounces of veggies, and 2-4 tablespoons of oatmeal. I also have started giving him tastes of the foods we eat. Pretty much whatever I'm eating, I'll tear off little pieces or give him little bites. He used to just suck on it or gum it and then dribble it back out. Now he's swallowing it more.

April 25th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the info! I want to approach solids with the same "food before 1 is just for fun" approach and wasn't sure how to go about it. When did you start giving it to him 2x per day? Just kinda when he'd tried enough foods?

April 25th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniM0820 View Post
I've been meaning to ask you--how many hours are you away from jack and how much does he eat while you're gone (normally, not with his growth spurt ). Also, how many oz are you able to pump while at work?
I nurse Jack at 7:30 each morning, after which I leave for the day. I'm back home around 5:30. So I guess around 9 1/2 hours, sometimes closer to 10 hours.

He tends to be hungrier in the afternoon than in the morning. So he will take a couple of 4-ounce bottles in the morning and a couple of 5-ounce bottles in the afternoon. He also takes solids mid-morning and mid-afternoon. When I get home at 5:30, DH has usually been holding him off from wanting to eat again. He nurses ravenously at that time.

On a typical day while I'm away, he'll take 16-20 ounces of breast milk, 4 ounces of purees, and 1/8 cup of oatmeal.

I pump first thing in the morning, and I usually stop after I've pumped 4-5 ounces. I want to make sure he has plenty to eat before I leave. I also pump three times at work. I get 4-6 ounces per session. Since Jackson typically doesn't eat more than 20 ounces while I'm away, I do fine with that amount. However, sometimes my supply is wonky and I have to add a pumping session in the evening to make sure I have enough for the next day. I have around 120 ounces in the freezer too. I pump at least once per day on Saturday and Sunday as well, usually first thing in the morning if at no other time.

April 25th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belita View Post
Thanks for the info! I want to approach solids with the same "food before 1 is just for fun" approach and wasn't sure how to go about it. When did you start giving it to him 2x per day? Just kinda when he'd tried enough foods?
We started out just giving him one thing to try at a time, and he usually wasn't super-interested in eating much of it. When he started showing more of an interest in actually swallowing more substantial amounts of food and not just playing with it, we started getting him on more of a schedule. He was probably around 7 or 7 1/2 months. I tried to get daycare to give him solids, but that didn't always work so well. So I would try to feed him a little in the morning and in the evening when I would get home.

Now that SIL is on her third week with him, he's in a really good routine of eating and napping and playing. He hasn't had any adverse reactions to foods he's eaten, so I'm hoping we'll be in the clear on allergies. He's also pretty much liked everything he's eaten. The only thing he has outright rejected is a spinach/potato combo. (I think I'd reject that one too. ) I've also found that he likes his purees and oatmeal a little on the thicker side. He'll eat so much better if there's some substance to them. He dribbles out when it's too runny.

Last edited by Mom2JDub; April 25th, 2013 at 02:42 PM.
April 25th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Expecting #1
Such a great update! I am glad Jack is on such a good schedule now. Sounds like the transition into solids has been pretty easy now that he is at home with your SIL.

I am jealous of your supply! I have to pump 4x at work to just get 8-10 oz. total for all 4 of those sessions. I get 2-4 oz per session. I'm working on my supply still though and I actually got 12 oz yesterday. It sounds like you have a good routine going for the morning with pumping and feeding. What time are you getting up so you can pump, shower and get ready, and nurse Jackson?

April 25th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules_loves_beaches View Post
I am jealous of your supply! I have to pump 4x at work to just get 8-10 oz. total for all 4 of those sessions. I get 2-4 oz per session. I'm working on my supply still though and I actually got 12 oz yesterday.
Sorry you're still having some issues with supply. It's rough trying to keep up while pumping at work. I feel so down on myself because I have a hard time keeping up with Jackson's demand. The only reason I have a decent supply in my freezer is because they weren't feeding him enough at daycare. Well, I'm also making a really good effort to pump on the weekends and just put that in the freezer right away. It's pretty exhausting though. As much as I've loved breastfeeding Jack, it will be a relief not to pump anymore... and not to stress about not pumping enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules_loves_beaches View Post
It sounds like you have a good routine going for the morning with pumping and feeding. What time are you getting up so you can pump, shower and get ready, and nurse Jackson?
The routine is so much easier now that SIL is watching Jack. It was rough when I had to pump, get ready, take care of Jack, and get him ready for daycare every day. As it stands now, Jack wakes up between 5 and 6 most mornings. As soon as he wakes up, I take him downstairs to play while I pump. SIL starts watching him at 6:30, and that's when I get ready for work. At 7:30, I nurse him and try to get him to nap. That depends on exactly when he woke up and how many times he woke during the night. In the crazy event that he sleeps until 6:30 (which has happened twice in these three weeks), I just skip pumping in the morning. I'm very "full" by the time I get to work though!

April 25th, 2013, 04:14 PM
8 months & 16 days old

I had an appointment with my doctor today to finally discuss my De Quervain's tenosynovitis (a.k.a. mommy thumb, a.k.a. tendonitis in my wrist/thumb). I can't remember what I've posted here, but it started in my right wrist probably around 2 1/2 or 3 months postpartum. I didn't think much of it until someone mentioned the condition to me. Then I looked it up and found that I had all the symptoms. New mothers often get a touch of it. While it hurt, it was manageable. So I just tried to pick up Jackson differently and not do the things that agitated it.

I think I overcompensated, though, because I started getting the same pain in my left wrist about five or six weeks ago. And, sadly, it is WAY worse than the right wrist. I wake up several times every night in pain because I move it a wrong way. It gets so stiff at night so the slightest movement really hurts. It makes nighttime feedings incredibly difficult. It's one of the reasons that Jackson ends up in bed with me after his first wake-up in his crib. I just can't lift him at night. It's much easier to adjust him in the bed to nurse him. When I wake up in the morning, it is so swollen/stiff that I can't straighten my fingers or close my hand without pain shooting up my entire forearm. This morning, I couldn't even put my PJ top or bottoms on. If I give it five minutes and slowly start moving it, it loosens up enough to get going.

It's manageable during the day, but it constantly hurts. Even gently running my finger across the inside of my wrist on either arm hurts. There are several everyday things I just can't do because it hurts too much.

So I finally saw my doctor this morning. She gave me a better splint and suggested naproxen twice daily. I told her that I won't take it as long as I'm breastfeeding. She totally understood and said that my only other option (if I want it to get better) is a corticosteroid shot. She referred me to a hand specialist, so I'll call tomorrow to make that appointment. She also said that, oddly, breastfeeding moms with the condition often see it go away after they wean.

I also talked to her about the fact that intercourse is still painful and that lubrication irritates me (really stings... as does shaving gel, body wash, shampoo, any foreign substance at all). She said that, again, breastfeeding and the subsequent low estrogen levels can cause things to be uncomfortable in that department. She said that she could prescribe an estrogen cream but that she would hate for it to mess with my milk supply. Since I plan on weaning at 12 months, I'm just going to keep suffering for another 3 1/2 months. Not the best news, but it was good to hear that there's nothing wrong with me. She said that I'm obviously more sensitive than most women, but that doesn't mean anything is wrong with me.

Just like last month, I've had PMS symptoms for the past few days, including really bad menstrual cramps yesterday. Still no AF though.

One more thing, I mentioned yesterday that Jack had pretty much outgrown his 9-month sleepers, but I was worried that the 12-month PJs would swallow him. Well, I gave them a shot last night, and I was definitely wrong. Here's a pic of him filling out those PJs.

April 26th, 2013, 03:59 AM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a cutie! It's amazing how quickly they fit in the bigger clothes!

Sorry about your wrists It must really suck to have to suffer through that for so long. I hope the hand specialist can do something for you that won't mess up BFing.

Also sorry that DTD still hurts. Just wondering, have you tried maybe using Preseed? It's supposed to mimic our own natural lubricant, so maybe it's worth a shot and won't irritate you too much. There's also a lubricant called "Just Like Me" from Slumber Parties which is like the same thing as PreSeed but not as messy and not advertised as "fertility friendly," but it is water based and also mimics the body's natural lubricant. I had lots of luck with it when DH and I started DTD after Jordan. If you're interested I have a friend who is a consultant and can see if she has any sample packs so you could try it to see if it works instead of buying a whole bottle.

Hopefully when Jackson does wean around the 1-year mark your body goes back to normal

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search