A Baby Journal for Jackson

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree189Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC #1 Grads Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 8th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Expecting #1
Sounds like Jackson is getting into a good routine and so are you with the pumping. Your DH sounds very supportive and helpful. Jackson is lucky to have two wonderful and loving parents.
Mom2JDub likes this.

September 8th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Thanks, Robyn. She PM'd me too. And tell me about the 4:00 thing. I have never envied poor William for having to get up that early. When my summer schedule had me starting work at 7:00, I had to get up at 5:00, and that sucked. I'm a morning person, too, but 4:00 is really the end of the middle of the night. I don't think "morning" starts until 5:00 at the earliest.

September 8th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You're welcome. I saw it and wasn't sure if you'd forgotten with all you have going on or just wasn't fond of it and wasn't going to use it or what, but figured I'd err on the side of you forgetting from being so busy with Mr. Jack.

Yeah, I think of 4am as night, too. I know this rule doesn't work in really far north or south places, but I think that if it's dark out it's night and nobody should be awake!

September 10th, 2012, 05:25 PM
1 month & 1 day old

Jackson wanted to be up all night last night, and of course eating the entire time. I swear I don't know how such a tiny thing can eat so much. I mean, he is up past 9 pounds now, but he's like a bottomless pit. He does spit up frequently, but man this kid can eat. It was a very good thing that DH let me get extra sleep on Sunday morning because last night was rough.

He was awake most of today, too, but that's normal for him. He's just not much of a napper. I think he eats so much because he's awake so much. His metabolism must be in overdrive from burning so many calories. I can barely keep up with him in pumping. I'm doing it every 2 hours, just to make sure I have enough on hand. So much for storing it in the freezer! I know my production will continue to pick up, but I truly feel like I'm just pumping all the time! Today, I was quite the multi-tasker, feeding Jackson with one hand while double pumping with the other hand and arm. I should really invest in one of those hands-free pumping bras.

I did squeeze in an hour-long nap when he napped for 2.5 hours. And DH wants me to take a nap when he gets home. We'll see if I do that. More than anything, I just want a shower.

I left Jackson for the first time yesterday. I went out grocery shopping while he stayed home with DH. I hated being away from him and cried when I got home and saw him. I have 2 more months of maternity leave, and then I just don't know what I'll do. I'm sure I'll be a wreck.
dri2011 likes this.

September 10th, 2012, 05:51 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Awww, I bet he missed you too! My SIL said it was good "practice" to start taking very short trips out (like you did, to the store and such), to get used to being away.

I also wanted to drop in and thank you for all the research you did to plan variations of what is now J's nursery and for pinning all your finds on Pinterest. You are making my job a WHOLE lot easier
Mom2JDub likes this.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
September 10th, 2012, 06:28 PM
I have no idea how working moms do it. I think it's a good idea to do the small trips.

September 10th, 2012, 07:55 PM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Next appointment ask about reflux! If he's spitting up and eating a lot that may be the issue. Reflux hurts so they want to eat to soothe the burn, get over full, spit up and the cycle starts all over again.

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
September 13th, 2012, 02:51 PM
1 month & 4 days old

I finally have Jackson asleep for the first time today since 6am. I don't know why this kid hates sleeping so much. I got him to sleep just a little bit in his rocker while I pumped, and then he started fussing. So I promptly transferred him to the Moby, and he's sleeping away.

I definitely have to bring up the reflux issue at his next doctor's appointment. The good thing is that he doesn't seem to be in pain from it. He just spits up a lot. Several women in my DDC have their babies on Zantac. I just think that's crazy unless they have a legitimate problem, like they are in pain because of their reflux or losing/not gaining weight. Otherwise, it seems like a fairly natural occurrence, since the sphincter that prevents reflux doesn't fully develop in babies until they are a year old. My dad and sister and a friend suggested adding a little bit of rice cereal to his milk. Their doctors had given them that advice. I don't want to do anything until I check with his doctor, but it does make sense. It's interesting, though, that he spits up a lot during the day, but he rarely spits up at night. I don't know if it's a relaxation thing or what. He also eats a lot more during the day, so it could just be a full tummy. I know that my sister's son was always in the 90-something percentile in size, and he spit up a ton. She said he just always wanted to eat and would constantly overeat. Jack definitely poops and pees a lot, so plenty is being absorbed into his system. A lot of my liquid gold, however, gets wasted.

When DH and I hold Jackson and he's bright-eyed, we like to play little games with him. We mimic his faces or make faces and try to get him to mimic us. Well, a couple of days ago, he started to do it. He can't seem to figure out how to make all of the faces, but he is awesome at mimicking sticking out his tongue and making an O with his mouth. It is absolutely adorable. He's also getting more and more of a kick out of batting at his toys. It can entertain him for quite a while. He also looks into the mirror at himself on his activity gym. And he is starting to grasp things, though not with a lot of coherence about what he's grasping.

I ordered the hands-free pumping bra, and I imagine it's really going to come in handy. Not only will it be great when I return to work and want to continue working on the computer while I pump, but it will also be good for the next two months of maternity leave. Being able to console Jackson or feed him while I pump will be a huge bonus. And my Ameda pump has a battery option, so I could really go anywhere in the house while I pump. My smaller flanges arrived in the mail a couple of days ago, and they do feel better. I'm glad I ordered them. I'm also able to pump more milk at each session, so I'm very slowly but surely building up my stash.

Jackson and I have been making very small trips here and there. The folks at my local market were happy to see the baby instead of just my pregnant belly. I think we'll hit up Target tomorrow. It all sort of depends on his schedule. He has slept until 1:30 two nights this week, and he slept until 2:30 last night. If I could get him to sleep all the way until 4:00, I would be a very happy girl. And getting more sleep at night lends itself to us actually getting out of the house during the day. We're going to make our first long-ish road trip next weekend (9/22) when we go down to Escondido for William's good friend's pool party. It's about 80 miles each way, so I hope it goes well. I'll probably pack some bottles of breast milk. And if he needs to eat straight from my boob, that's okay too. My nipples are feeling better each day, so I hope that we can switch to hybrid feeding in the next week or two.

I have had a major sweet tooth since I had Jackson. I never had cravings this bad when I was pregnant. I don't so much have specific cravings, just anything sweet. And it's a very bad thing for my thighs and tummy! Next week, I'm hoping that my OB clears me for exercise, and then I have to get my butt back into shape. I've lost almost all of the pregnancy weight, but I am so flabby. I still feel like my tear is not completely healed. I really want to have sex, and I know DH does. I'm just so scared that it's going to hurt like hell. It's definitely better, just not 100%. Maybe my OB will have some suggestions or be able to help in some way.
Caerus likes this.

Last edited by Mom2JDub; September 13th, 2012 at 03:08 PM.
September 13th, 2012, 03:59 PM
nina9809's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Happy to read your update!

Thank you Kiliki... for my amazing siggie!
September 13th, 2012, 04:51 PM
So I'm friends with a lot of you on Facebook, where I probably post way too many pics of Jackson. However, I haven't posted many here. That's partially out of privacy and partially out of laziness. I thought I'd post a few, though.

September 13th, 2012, 05:55 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
So.....next weekend, YOU are going to be in MY city, and I am going to be in HAWAII. How's that for irony?

Mom2JDub likes this.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
September 13th, 2012, 06:13 PM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh I so agree with you about people putting babies on medicine just because they are spitting up! If it's hurting them that's one thing, but if they are not bothered by it and are doing fine weight wise, why risk the meds?

Jackson is just adorable! How are y'all and he liking the frog chair? It's still Joseph's favorite seat.

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
September 13th, 2012, 06:22 PM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbpeanut View Post
So.....next weekend, YOU are going to be in MY city, and I am going to be in HAWAII. How's that for irony?

That's how it always seems to work out, doesn't it?

My friend has the same problem with her baby. She spits up a lot and tried breast milk, different formulas, soy based and non-soy, she tried the rice in the milk and nothing works. They think it's acid reflux too. Her baby is doing fine so they have just accepted it as part of her lifestyle because they don't want to put her on meds either. Good luck, I hope he stops spitting up so much

Forever missing my angel 2010

Last edited by blueeyes25s; September 13th, 2012 at 06:27 PM.
September 13th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Karin, now what would be really ironic is if you were going to be in LA! But yeah, that stinks that it's working out that way for you guys!

Poor Jackson and his acid reflux. I know people who have put their babies on Zantax for it, too, but I'm with you and would rather not give a baby meds unless it's absolutely necessary.

I can't wait to see a pic of Jack at his first pool party! I bet he'll look adorable in a little bitty swim trunk and sun hat!

September 13th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Expecting #1
Jackson is such a cutie!!! I love reading your mommy updates. Can't wait to hear about the pool party trip.

September 14th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Robyn, I never planned on Jackson going to a pool party, so I don't have any trunks or a sun hat. I almost bought some before he was born during a Carter's sale, but I didn't. I might have to hit the clearance racks this weekend and see if I can find anything. Otherwise, I have a really cute summery outfit for him, and I'll probably mostly keep him inside at the party. I can tell you that I won't be in my swimsuit.

1 month & 5 days old

A couple of good things happened today, and it's not noon yet.

First off, Jackson slept until 2:00am again, giving me 4 1/2 hours of straight sleep. If I wasn't pumping, I would have gotten even more than that. Unfortunately, after that, he wouldn't go back to sleep until after 5:00. However, we napped for 1 1/2 hours, so I'm feeling good today. It's also Friday, which means that we get to spend the weekend together as a whole family. I really love our time with the three of us. William loves his son so much, and I so look forward to seeing them together each evening and on the weekends.

After we got up this morning, Jackson was fussier than normal when I tried to get him to entertain himself while I pumped. My breasts were pretty engorged from going 5 hours without pumping, but I could only keep him calm long enough to finish. I still wanted to prepare today's bottles, do a load of laundry, and eat some breakfast. So I put him in the Moby, and he fell fast asleep. I use the Moby here and there, but I really need to make it a part of my morning routine so I can always get some chores into the mix.

After about an hour, he started fussing and trying to "suck" on my chest. So I started to pull a bottle of my expressed milk out of the refrigerator, but I decided to just give him my breast instead. My left breast always produces more milk than my right breast, but I also have issues with fully emptying it when I pump. So I figured I might as well let him try. He totally drained my breast, and it felt so good to have that bond with him again. And it didn't hurt any worse than the pumping. My nipples are definitely way better than they were before. Perhaps going 50/50 with feeding directly from the breast and pumping will work well. It would be great to feed him from my breast during that middle of the night feeding instead of warming a bottle, feeding him, calming him to sleep, and then going through the whole pumping routine while I'm a .

Prior to all of that, he was bright-eyed and not wanting anything, which is my favorite part of the day. That's our time for playing. At some point, I'll start reading to him. For now, though, it's making faces and talking to him and singing songs. So the milestone for today was very evident smiling and what I think was an actual laugh. He's cooed a few times, and he's definitely smiled here and there. However, they are usually isolated and difficult to tell if he's really conscious of what he's doing. This morning, it was obvious. I was making funny faces at him, and he smiled over and over again. It melted my heart.

He's sleeping now, but he's on my lap. I'm sure he will fuss if I try to move him, but I'm going to give it a shot anyway. My assistant is stopping by sometime today to drop off a gift that someone left at work. And she really just wants to see the little guy. I think I might make the trip to the office sometime next week because so many people are asking about him. I'm over-protective of him and have really been sheltering him. However, I think I need to let go a bit. I will definitely be passing out the Purell when I do go to the office though.
Belita likes this.

September 14th, 2012, 07:25 PM
awww, that laugh and smile must have been great to hear and see!

That's too bad you don't have a pool outfit for him. I bet he'll still look adorable in a summery outfit if you don't end up getting him anything.

September 14th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Jack was so smiley today and let out that coo-ish laugh thingy with one of his big smiles. I just kept snapping pics in the hopes of capturing the smiles. And here's a couple pics.

September 14th, 2012, 08:54 PM

September 14th, 2012, 09:39 PM
HopeTea's Avatar Cautiously expecting #1
He is just too cute!! Looks like such a happy baby!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search