A Baby Journal for Jackson

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree189Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC #1 Grads Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 15th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Expecting #1
What a cutie pie! He looks so happy and alert.

Yay that you were able to BF directly from the source will no problems!! It sounds like your plan of 50/50 will help you get some more rest too!

September 15th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
1 month & 6 days old

Last night was a rough one. I put Jackson to bed around 8:30 on a full belly. I was hoping he would sleep until 2:00 or 2:30 again, but I had no such luck. After I put him to bed, I pumped and was in bed and falling asleep by 9:30. However, Jack woke up at midnight. So I changed him and fed him. He ate for an hour, about 30 minutes from each breast. That really put him to sleep, so I hoped he would sleep until 5:00 or so. Nope! He was awake again in an hour, which meant really no additional sleep for me. So I poked DH and asked him to go downstairs and heat up the bottle. When he got back to the room, I planned to just feed Jackson and hope he went back to sleep quickly. However, as soon as I put him on the bed with me, he fell asleep. I don't think he was actually hungry but just wanted contact with his mommy. That's very sweet, but I also worry about creating a very needy baby who will only sleep on one of his parents.

DH said that he would feed him. I told William that I would take Jackson after he was full and get him back to sleep. I always have an easier time getting him to go to sleep and then putting him in his cradle than DH does. However, before I even knew what was going on, I was back asleep. I woke up around 5:00, and DH and Jackson were missing. I started to get up, but I was so tired. I just fell back asleep again. Around 6:45, I woke back up and felt terrible that I never relieved William. I groggily made my way downstairs and found DH looking like a zombie and Jackson asleep on his lap. So I promptly pumped and then told DH to go get some sleep.

I am really nervous about this afternoon because we have an appointment with the day care that we think is "the" one. We have had a hard time finding one about which we really feel good. We had tons of phone conversations with different providers, and we just weren't satisfied enough with any of them to even make an in-person appointment. I was starting to get very discouraged. However, we finally had an amazing conversation with a woman who runs a small in-home day care just three miles from us! She is a former kindergarten teacher, but she has been running this day care for 18 years. We loved absolutely everything she had to say, and she was so incredibly friendly. It's amazing to me how many of the women to whom we talked were just not very nice. I mean, they treated what they do like a business, like we needed them more than they needed us. They DO run a business, but I just feel like there should also be a personal connection.

So our appointment with Miss Debbie is this afternoon at 2:00. I really hope she accepts us. I can't believe how nervous I am about the interview. It's just been so difficult finding someone with whom we felt comfortable, it feels weird to now be on the opposite end of that selection process.

Wish us luck. I'll update later today.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
September 15th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sure William is happy to help you out by taking Jack in the middle of the night, especially since it is all you on work nights. That also gives him his time of just Daddy and Jackson so try to enjoy the sleep he's allowing you to get. It sounds like you need it!

Good luck with the day care interview! I hope it works out for you! I don't think you're asking too much by wanting the day care provider to have some warmth and seem like they enjoy the children. It should be a given and it's sad that it's not.

September 16th, 2012, 04:49 PM
SabrinaH's Avatar Pregnant with #1!
Whew! I think I am finally all caught up in your journal. I love all the pics of Jackson and I have to say that I am incredibly jealous of how much you've been able to pump!
Mom2JDub likes this.

September 16th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabrinaH View Post
Whew! I think I am finally all caught up in your journal. I love all the pics of Jackson and I have to say that I am incredibly jealous of how much you've been able to pump!
Ah, Sabrina! You had your baby girl! Since Jackson arrived, I've really slacked at checking the other DDCs (and even my own). Congratulations, my dear. She is adorable.

And don't worry about the pumping thing... it will start flowing more for you. When I pumped early on to relieve engorgement, I could hardly pump a thing even though my breasts were huge. I've gradually been able to pump more over time. Of course, I'm at the point now that I'm not able to stash anything because Jack eats so much.

September 16th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Hope you're feeling better! Did you get to go to the pool party? I also hope you loved the day care as much in person!

September 16th, 2012, 07:23 PM
1 month & 1 week old

I have very good news to share - Jackson is now enrolled in the day care of our choice.

Our interview went really well yesterday, and "Miss Debbie" thought Jackson was adorable. (Of course she did. ) I had mentioned before that we had preferred to go with a small in-home day care from the get-go, but my back-up plan has always been the infant care center at the college where I work. The child care center is actually an award-winning center in the state, and I'm quite impressed with it. However, their infant care center (ages 0-2) leaves something to be desired in my opinion. The whole convenience factor is there, but I preferred Jackson to actually be in an environment that was smaller-scale and more personal. So we were happy to have the interview yesterday and were crossing fingers that she liked us as much as we liked her.

She only has one slot available, beginning in November, which is exactly when we need to enroll Jackson. He will be the only baby of such a young age (3 months when he starts). The other children (only six total, including Jack) are staggered to age four. I won't get into all the details, but suffice to say that we were incredibly happy with absolutely everything she had to say and the way she runs her day care. And, of course, we felt really happy with her as a person. We were actually her last interview of the day. So we left not knowing if she would accept Jack or another child. Fortunately, we heard back from her that we're the ones.

One of the best things we heard her say is that she believes in anticipating what a baby wants and providing it before they ever feel the need to cry. William and I have been of this same mindset. Perhaps we're spoiling Jack, and I suppose time will tell. However, we just don't believe in the "cry it out" method. She brought that up first, and we told her that we totally agreed and are trying to use that same philosophy. She was really happy to hear us say that and said that we would be surprised how many parents don't share that belief. Perhaps that's what sealed the deal for us?

As a big added bonus, her day care is only three miles from our house, right on the way home from work for DH and only slightly out of my way, like two more exits down the freeway. We were looking at options as far as 15 miles away in the opposite direction of our house, so this is awesome. I will hardly have to leave for work any earlier in the morning.

We're stopping by on October 20 to meet the other parents and children. That's a party day for one of the children's birthdays, so she said it would be a great time to come say hello to everyone. Jack will officially start with her on November 13.

Oh, and one more thing... she's in the mid-range in terms of price, so that's another big bonus. We fully expected to pay an extra $300 per month.

When Jack gets older, she only serves homemade meals that are preservative-free, and she never serves sugar (other than fruits). She also offers a pre-school program when the children turn three years old. She used to be a kindergarten teacher, and many of her clients through the years were teachers. She updates her curriculum annually to ensure that the children are being prepared for the state kindergarten standards. I'm still not sure if Jack will stay with her past two years or enroll in the center at my college. It's nice to know that she offers a strong educational component if we do stay with her.

In other news, last night was BAD! Jackson just didn't want to sleep in his cradle or much at all. He had been so good a few nights in the past week, but last night he kept me up until 2:30. He would fall asleep on me, but he would wake up every time I would start to move him. At 2:30, William woke up and asked me how things had been going. I told him that I had yet to get any sleep. He told me he would take him, but I thought it was pointless since Jackson was sleeping on me at the time. So William went back to sleep, and then sometime later I must have fallen asleep with Jackson on my chest. I woke up around 4:00 with both of us in the same position.

So I transferred him to his cradle. He continued to fuss for the next hour, not crying but grunting and moving his arms around, all half-asleep. I would rock his cradle, and he would fall back asleep for a few minutes, and then the whole thing would start again. Around 4:45, William woke up and said he was taking him downstairs so I could get some sleep. I came downstairs, too, because I needed to pump. And I was STARVING, so I ate a bowl of cereal. Then I headed back to bed, figuring that I wouldn't be able to fall asleep. However, I slept until almost 9:00. Still not a lot of sleep, but better than nothing.

I did a lot of laundry today and scrubbed down the kitchen. I just get nothing done around the house when I'm home alone with Jack. I don't mind because I love snuggling with him, but the house ends up looking like a disaster. Little by little, things will get back to some sort of normal. At least I hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belita View Post
Hope you're feeling better! Did you get to go to the pool party? I also hope you loved the day care as much in person!
The pool part is next Saturday. Excited that it's next weekend because it was a hot mother this Saturday!

September 16th, 2012, 07:34 PM
SabrinaH's Avatar Pregnant with #1!
Quote:
Originally Posted by junie22 View Post
Ah, Sabrina! You had your baby girl! Since Jackson arrived, I've really slacked at checking the other DDCs (and even my own). Congratulations, my dear. She is adorable.

And don't worry about the pumping thing... it will start flowing more for you. When I pumped early on to relieve engorgement, I could hardly pump a thing even though my breasts were huge. I've gradually been able to pump more over time. Of course, I'm at the point now that I'm not able to stash anything because Jack eats so much.
I did! It was a complete shock though. She showed up when I was just barely 36 weeks and she was still breech so I had a c-section. DH and I were completely stunned to be taking a baby home from the hospital a month early!

Good to know about the pumping. She is definitely cluster feeding and I feel like I can't keep up. I bottle and breast feed, but I feel like she gets more out of the bottle. Anyway, we're working on it!

Congrats on finding the perfect day care! That must be a huge load off your shoulders.

September 16th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Sorry you had such a rough night.

That's awesome he got into that day care! I agree with you on CIO, especially for babies. The only times I let kids cry are when I have already tried to comfort them and they just need to get it out of their system or they are old enough to be trying to manipulate the situation and I've explained that I love them, wants what's best, and cannot give them what they want. I don't think it's spoiling. I think it's being a loving, supportive parent. It must be such a relief to have that taken care of!

Sounds like it's a good thing the pool party is next weekend since you had so much going on this weekend!

September 18th, 2012, 04:43 PM
1 month & 9 days old

The last two nights have been very difficult. I hope it's just a phase, but it just seems that Jackson will not sleep without direct contact from his mommy or daddy. He will eat, be completely satisfied, and fall fast asleep on me. Then I move him very carefully to his cradle. And... grunt, grunt, squeal, squeal, hands and feet punching/kicking in every direction. He's always been a squirmer, but I can usually just let him work it out. He's just not having it lately though.

On Sunday night, I was grateful that DH had let me sleep in that morning. It made staying awake literally all night long somewhat tolerable. When William got home from work yesterday, he sent me upstairs to nap. I tried to get a couple of hours, but my mind just kept racing. I did, however, end up getting about an hour of sleep. Then Jackson decided to keep me up until 2:30. I finally just gave up and fell asleep with him on my chest in the bed. I woke back up when DH's alarm went off at 4:00. Instead of moving Jackson to his cradle, I just made a spot for him in the bed and fell back asleep. I don't like this idea, but we both needed sleep. We have a Cal King bed, so I just made a barrier on one side of him and pushed his back up against it so he couldn't turn over. We both slept from 4:00 until 7:00(ish). He started grunting around 6:00 because he was hungry, but I let him keep sleeping until he actually opened his eyes.

So I decided to buy a co-sleeper thingy for our bed. Since we do have a very large bed, it shouldn't be a problem for either of us. I'm hoping I don't need to use it long and I can transition him back to his cradle and then eventually his crib. However, for now, we all need to get sleep. If the only way he will sleep is if he has contact with us, it will be easy for me to rest my hand on him while he sleeps. When he starts sleeping for longer stretches at night, I'll try to transition him back to the cradle. We also have the Snuza (which we haven't used yet). I'm going to start using it now.

Moving him back to my breast has been good for him as well. He sleeps better during the day after breastfeeding rather than bottle feeding. He still wants to sleep on my lap, but at least he's getting sleep. I ordered some fenugreek to hopefully help with my milk supply. And I'm pumping for a few minutes after every feeding to trick my breasts into producing just a little more milk. Now that he's back on my breast, I'm only pumping about 8 oz per day, which goes into bottles for DH to feed him. So I want to produce more milk so I can start building my freezer stash. With just 8 weeks of maternity leave left, I want to get at least a few days' worth built up.

Jackson is playing more, smiling more, cooing on occasion, making faces, and just being the cutest darn baby I've ever seen.

Oh, my SIL also booked a plane ticket to come out next week. She's going to stay for a week and actually help! She is an OCD clean freak, and she said that she wants to do whatever I need. So I think I'll put her to work on the house. I'm also just looking forward to taking a shower each day and actually being able to eat lunch. She wasn't planning on coming out until November when she and her husband were planning a vacation. However, she found a cheap plane ticket and asked if it would be okay if she came out. Finally, a guest who will be a big help!

September 18th, 2012, 06:00 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I'm sorry you have had a rough few nights, but it sounds like you are working through a plan, even if temporary, to help you all out for the time being.

So happy to hear your SIL is coming to visit, AND will be a big help.
x

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
September 18th, 2012, 06:02 PM
You poor thing! I hope the co-sleeper helps. It's a good thing he's so cute, isn't it?

That's great your SIL is coming out and will actually help!

September 19th, 2012, 02:59 PM
I love your new siggy! Your last one was a little weird and didn't look quite right. This is much better!
kbpeanut and Mom2JDub like this.

September 19th, 2012, 03:28 PM
I did not like the last siggy either, so I politely waited a couple weeks and requested a new one. Much better.
nina9809 and Belita like this.

September 19th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Expecting #1
The co-sleeper sounds like it will be a good plan to help everyone get some sleep. Yay for your SIL coming to visit! Hope you can get your house stuff done and caught up when she comes to visit.

September 19th, 2012, 04:45 PM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
I hope the co sleeper works for you. That's nice of your SIL and awesome of her wanting to come just to help out. I hope the visit is really helpful for you. Keep the pictures coming they are so cute.

Forever missing my angel 2010

September 19th, 2012, 04:56 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
on the siggy...LOVING the new one! x

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
September 20th, 2012, 07:43 PM
1 month & 11 days old

I have major new mommy brain! I couldn't remember where I had written down my 6-week PP appointment time, so I called my OB's office on Monday morning to see what time I was coming in this week. She said, "You're appointment was on 9/10." First off, why was my 6-week check-up just over 4-weeks PP? And why did they never call with an appointment reminder? Still, I shouldn't have been so scatterbrained. So I had to reschedule, but they didn't have any appointments this week. So I'm going next Wednesday at 8:10, which will be a total pain in the butt. I'll be in rush-hour traffic with a newborn in tow. And 9/10 would have been perfect because that was Labor Day and William was off work. And I could have talked to her sooner about how my tear is obviously not healing properly or definitely not as quickly as it should. That's okay, though. I'll manage it.

Jackson and I did see a doctor today though. My sore nipple saga continues, and I started suspecting that perhaps I have thrush. I don't have all the symptoms of thrush, but my nipples are cracked, very sore, red, sometimes itchy, and nothing I do to treat the soreness seems to make a difference. I also know that Jackson's latch is good (confirmed by a LC in his first week), so I've been leaning toward thinking I might have thrush. Jackson has had a milk tongue for a while, but I was able to wipe it off. He didn't exhibit any other spots in his mouth, and he never seemed to be in pain while eating. In fact, this boy never has a problem eating. It's his favorite thing to do.

However, yesterday I looked up more information about thrush, and I started thinking that maybe he does have it (and I likewise). Apparently, excessive gassiness and diaper rash that doesn't go away with typical treatments can be an indicator as well. He started getting little bumps around his anus/crack during his third week. I started cleaning him with just water on a cotton pad, putting a Vaseline barrier on his bum, and also using diaper rash cream. It has helped, but it won't go away completely. And his milk tongue, while able to wipe off, never goes away between feedings.

So I made an appointment with my regular doctor for today to check out my nipples and also look at his tongue. She confirmed that it is thrush in Jack. Well, apparently, it's not really something that can be totally confirmed. So they look to all the history of mother and baby, and it is thrush in her opinion. We have a prescription for Nystatin, which I have to apply to his tongue and my nipples four times per day. I'm hoping it takes care of it, since neither of our issues seem to be on the extreme end of thrush. If it works for him but not for me, then I'm going to make a follow-up appointment with a lactation consultant to see if he has a tongue tie or something that is causing my nipple soreness. I've heard that a latch can sometimes look good from the outside, but the tongue can be doing weird things.

I'm just yearning for the day when nursing isn't painful. It's such a wonderful bonding experience that is really hampered by constant pain or at the very least discomfort. There were many times when I thought about giving up, but I've stuck with it despite the pain. If Nystatin works (and all of the other things I'm already doing to help with nipple soreness), I will be so very excited.

Jackson is also being just so darn adorable every day. I love watching each new thing he does. He's been laughing/smiling so much more lately, and he has discovered that it's great fun to reach his fist out and punch my mouth when I'm talking to him. I think he's going to be right-handed because that's the hand that he uses the most to bat at his toys (and now my mouth). And here's a video of him playing on his activity mat today.

Baby Jack :: MVI_2664_zpsa8510e8b.mp4 video by junie22 - Photobucket

September 20th, 2012, 08:00 PM
I hope the script helps. The breastfeeding book I read said that at the point you're at you really shouldn't be having pain if he has a good latch, but then that's just book knowledge and I don't have any real experience (yet).

My OB never calls to remind me about appts. My counselor never has either. Their excuse is that they have too many patients coming through to call. Not sure why they can't use one of those computer systems. I started not taking the reminder cards and putting appts into my phone as we're scheduling it and set two reminders to help me remember. I was missing appts all the time before doing that!

That video is super-cute! I can't wait until Sean is born and I can watch him play and make those adorable cooing noises.
Mom2JDub likes this.

September 21st, 2012, 07:41 AM
Expecting #1
Hope the prescription helps! You are doing such a great job on the BFing and not giving up, despite the bumps in the road! Hopefully you will be pain free soon and you can fully enjoy all parts of the bonding experience with no pain or soreness afterward.

Jackson is adorable and looks like he is getting so strong. It almost looked like he was going to roll over. Such a healthy boy!
Mom2JDub likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search