A Baby Journal for Jackson

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree189Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC #1 Grads Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 21st, 2012, 08:30 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I'm glad you went to get checked...and I really hope the Rx helps both of you. I can only commend you on not giving up on BF despite the pain/discomfort...many women might have given up by now. I'm glad you are sticking with it. Hopefully, the meds will help both of you, and you can continue your wonderful bonding experience.

Thanks for sharing the vid. He is one precious little boy!
x
Mom2JDub likes this.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
September 21st, 2012, 04:42 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
1 month & 12 days old

I've mentioned before that Jackson just doesn't sleep much. He always seems to be on the move and doesn't want to miss a thing that happens. Well, I decided to switch things up a bit to encourage napping during the day. I read that babies that don't sleep during the day are also prone to not sleep well at night. You would think they would be worn out and want to sleep, but it's entirely the opposite.

So I put him down last night at about 9:30 (after sleeping on me for 20 minutes), and he slept until 1:30. I got up with him, changed and fed him, and put him back down at 2:30. He was grunting and kicking and punching within minutes. This is typical for him during that middle of the night feeding. So I brought him into the bed with me to hold him on my chest and get him to sleep. Once again, I fell asleep with him on me. I'm confident that I won't move when he's on me, but I am anxiously awaiting the co-sleeper so I can have a little more assurance that we won't have an accident.

He slept until about 5:30. I changed and fed him, and then I tried to get him to go back to sleep. I make a spot for him in the bed with barriers so he won't roll over or put his face against a blanket or pillow or sheet. However, he usually won't really go back to sleep. So I brought him close to me and propped him on my pillow, but with the same kind of barriers. He was snuggled really close to me. And he slept for 3 more hours! I was never a proponent of co-sleeping, but it's really working to get him some sleep. (And the added benefit that I get a little more sleep is not going unnoticed.)

We waited to start the medicine until this morning. The whole 4 times per day regimen is a little iffy when you have a baby that sometimes wants to eat back to back to back. So I'm kind of playing it by ear with when I can apply it to me and to him. Back to the sleeping, though, I also got him to take a 2 1/2-hour nap today by letting him sleep on my chest in the recliner. And he's sleeping on my lap now after eating. Maybe I'll get this kid some rest finally.

I forgot to write this earlier, 5 or 6 days ago, Jack started doing something new. William and I both hold him, where his butt is sitting on our knees or the Boppy, facing us. This is how we make our faces and have song time. He started pushing up with his feet. Obviously, he can't put a lot of weight on them, but he sure does try. He pushes pretty darn hard for such a little thing. And he holds it for a while.

I also measured him yesterday, since he was 6 weeks old, and he's up to 22 inches now. And I weighed him (with me on the scale, then holding him naked), and there was a 10-pound difference.

Tomorrow's pool party has been postponed for a couple of weeks because the host and hostess have a really nasty bug circulating around. If they would have held it, we wouldn't have gone with Jackson being so vulnerable. I think DH could really use the rest this weekend anyway. He has been sleeping really poorly at night, even when Jackson has good nights.

DH just got home, so it's daddy time. And I'm making pork chops for dinner.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
September 21st, 2012, 06:38 PM
Crystallee's Avatar Host of the Dec 2012 PR
There is an awesome vlogger that I watch on youtube who had her baby like 5 months ago I think or something and he was an alert little dude too and wanted to be up a lot and had fussiness problems at night and didn't want to go down ever so she started doing the same type of thing because she said she researched and babies should really only be up for hour stretches for awhile so every time after he had been up playing for around 50 minutes or whatever she would start to soothe him and try to get him back down to sleep and it worked wonders for her. She also bought a loud white noise machine to get him to sleep in his room (homedic spa i think from target??) Anyways it was interesting.
Mom2JDub likes this.

Thanks kiliki for my siggie!
September 21st, 2012, 09:28 PM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When Joseph was an infant he wouldn't sleep for longer than 45 minutes to an hour at any time. After a while we were desperate so we decided to try something. We put him down on his belly. He slept for hours! Jackson sleeps great while on you...and on his belly. Just something to think about. And an Angelcare monitor can give you great peace of mind if you decide to try it.

And I know there are some who will freak out at this idea, but eventually it becomes an even bigger hazard when mom or mom and dad are so exhausted they aren't functioning fully. I hope y'all can get something worked out. The cosleeper may be just the answer!
Mom2JDub likes this.

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
September 22nd, 2012, 07:50 AM
Michelle - I have totally decided that he prefers to be a tummy sleeper. When we first brought him home, within the first week, he was rolling onto his side to sleep. When I can get him to nap without being on me, I always place him on his tummy and keep an eye on him. I know that's what he prefers.

We opted for the Snuza instead of the Angel Care monitor, but it's the same concept. It will alarm if he's not breathing. DH and I decided to use it for the first time tonight, and I will definitely try to place him on his tummy to sleep.

He's been sleeping for 4 to 4 1/2 hour stretches for the past couple of nights, so I hope we can make it even longer with tummy sleeping.

September 22nd, 2012, 07:59 AM
sweet.hun's Avatar We're Complete <3
Adrienne your little man is just too adorable!! Have I said that yet? LOL. How much was the Snuza and where did you get it? I would like to get a monitor that also checks for breathing...because I have a feeling I'll be one of those moms that checks on the baby often.
Mom2JDub likes this.

Always missing my 3 angels. 2/9/06, 3/12/11, 5/22/12
September 22nd, 2012, 08:26 AM
I've never heard of a Snuza, I'll have to look that one up to see what it's like!

September 22nd, 2012, 05:17 PM
Thanks, Shasta! I think he's a keeper.

There's the Snuza Halo and the Snuza Go. The Go is a little less expensive and has a replaceable battery, so we went with that one. Here it is on Amazon. . It's a little device that slides onto the diaper. If it detects lack of movement (abdomen not moving from breathing), it sounds an alarm.

Then we just bought a regular sound monitor to go along with it.

September 22nd, 2012, 07:54 PM
I am so buying that for traveling and nap times in the PnP! Not having the Angelcare while traveling has been the worst.
Mom2JDub likes this.

September 23rd, 2012, 01:43 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hmmmm, may if we don't get the Angelcare for our shower I'll get a Snuza. That does seem good for naps and traveling. How big is it? Only thing is I want a video monitor so that can get pricy in combination with even the smaller Snuza but we'll have to see how it works out.

How did it go with letting Jack sleep on his belly?

September 23rd, 2012, 05:45 PM
1 month & 2 weeks old

Tummy sleeping didn't go any better than back sleeping last night, but I think it's just because he was being fussy for other reasons. He was just having one of his little grunting spells. It seems that he's trying to squeeze out poops and farts when he does it, though he doesn't seem to have a problem pooping in general. He'll do it in his sleep for 2-3 hours at a time. It can't be very restful sleep for him, and it's certainly not restful for me. He slept for just a three-hour stretch, and then I was up with him for an hour. Then he got all "grunty" in his sleep for two hours. He was wide awake at 3:00, so I hit the recliner with him. After feeding him, he had another three hours of grunty sleep on me. DH came downstairs at 7:00 and relieved me. Then I napped for three hours! My breasts were so full by the time I woke up that they were in major pain. DH had just given him a bottle, so I took over the duty.

Speaking of my breasts, I swear it seems that I'm coming up against every barrier to BF imaginable. The newest developments are that the Nystatin made Jack throw up immensely. And he made the worst belching noises when doing it. I was worried about him throwing up everything he ate and becoming dehydrated. I read it's a common side effect that usually subsides after the first couple days. So I was going to stick with it. However, he had a rash on both arms this morning, and I just don't think the side effects are worth it. I'm calling his doctor tomorrow to inquire about other treatments. And I don't want to use it on my breasts either, as I read that it has sugars in it that actually promote yeast growth. I should have been prescribed a cream, while he was prescribed the liquid. However, I know that plenty of doctors prescribe it this way, so perhaps what I read was bogus. Either way, it's a no-go for him, so treating myself is pointless.

I started taking acidophilus myself, but I also read that it's good for treating babies with thrush. Nature's Way sells a powder for children, which can be mixed into foods or liquids. I read that dipping a wet finger into the powder and then letting the baby suck on the finger several times a day can treat the thrush. I figured that definitely can't hurt our cause, since probiotics are good for many reasons. So I ordered it online and should get it this week. Tomorrow, I'm going to ask his pediatrician about baby Diflucan and ask my OB about it for myself on Wednesday. I know there are other natural forms of treatment as well. I just don't like seeing the medicine make Jackson sicker than the thrush itself. Since the thrush has never once made him upset (it's just a mild coating on his tongue only), I would rather try to treat it naturally than make him miserable with medicine that may or may not work. (Nystatin frequently doesn't work in treating thrush effectively.)

So that's the newest development in the thrush issues. Further compounding my BF problems, though, is that I broke/ruined not one but both of the flanges for my breast pump. And BRU only sells the large, custom sizes, not the standard-sized flanges. So I had to order them online, and I'm hoping they arrive sometime this week. How did I break/ruin them? Well, one of the BF pros in my DDC had mentioned that it's perfectly safe and sanitary to just put the pump parts in the refrigerator in between pumpings and then just sterilize them once per day (since bacteria won't grow in the refrigerator). The first day doing it that way, I took out the bowl with the parts, and I fumbled and one of the flanges fell and hit the floor. When I picked it up, part of it had broken off! I guess it got so cold in the fridge that it became brittle.

I still had one flange left, so I was pumping each breast separately until I bought a replacement. Then yesterday, I was sterilizing everything in the Medela steam bags. I was sterilizing things in several batches. I put the last batch in (of three), and when I pulled it out of the microwave, I discovered that I'd made a very big mistake. I threw in something that couldn't be steamed, and it had melted into my other flange.

My breasts were so engorged today that pumping would have been such a blessing. I actually hand-expressed 2 ounces for some relief in between feedings. Those new flanges can't come soon enough!

September 23rd, 2012, 06:15 PM
Oh gosh, so much to go ugh about! I hope things get better soon.

I don't remember, but did you ask the doctor yet about reflux? The grunting sounds like silent reflux, but maybe he just likes to grunt. And I am a HUGE proponent of probiotics for babies! Joseph had colic and would scream for hours. I was finally convinced to try probiotics (I highly recommend Bio Gaia, I know Walgreens carries it) and within just a few days it was like having a new baby. No exaggeration! The drops are ridiculously expensive, but after 8 hours a day of crying I didn't care.

Did you by chance check any of the manual pumps to see if they had small flanges available? They are inexpensive and while a pain to use, they'd help you out in the meanwhile. Just an idea.

September 23rd, 2012, 07:10 PM
Oh, my, I've never heard of silent reflux! I'm not sure what to think about his grunts. He has nights when he stretches a ton, too, which I attribute to growth spurts. He frequently farts while he grunts, so I've always thought it was just a gas issue. I've used the gas relief drops, but they don't do much for him. They do distract him if he's fussy though.

His spitting up is getting better (minus the throwing up from the Nystatin). Today (knock on wood), he has probably only spit up a total of a tablespoon. Whatever the grunting, I'll ask his doctor about it at his next appointment. Like you said, he could just be a grunter. He mainly just does it in his sleep, not really when he's awake. When he does do it when he's awake, I can definitely tell he's trying to poop because shortly after the grunting starts, the splatter farts begin!

I did think about a manual pump, but I just figured I'd hand-express if things got out of control. I almost bought one yesterday but waited. It would have come in handy this morning. Hand-expressing did help a lot, but it definitely takes more time.

September 23rd, 2012, 07:28 PM
awww, poor Adrienne and Jackson.

A woman in my other forum said she rolled up a towel halfway and stuck it under the head of the bassinet mattress to elevate it a bit for her baby and that it helped with reflux-type symptoms in her daughter. Might be worth a shot if he is having reflux.

September 24th, 2012, 06:16 AM
Expecting #1
Sounds like you had a tough couple of days with the pump, sleepness nights from Jackson's grunting and medicine issues. Poor Jackson! I am sorry the prescription wasn't working for him. Hopefully you and the peditrician can figure something out.

September 25th, 2012, 05:26 PM
I will add a proper update after tomorrow's OB appointment, but I wanted to share some baby smiles.

blueeyes25s, dri2011 and Belita like this.

September 25th, 2012, 05:30 PM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
He is such a cutie . I hope all goes good tomorrow at your appt.

Forever missing my angel 2010

September 25th, 2012, 06:00 PM
He always looks so happy! (well, except for when he's making his "are you kidding me?!" face, which is also adorable)

September 26th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Expecting #1
Such a happy baby!

September 26th, 2012, 12:47 PM
1 month & 17 days old

I finally had my PP check-up today, at just shy of 7 weeks PP. Due to my scatterbrained butt missing the first appointment, they scheduled this one for 8:10am. I set my alarm for 5:30, but Jackson was up (per usual) at 4:30. So I nursed him, hoping he would go back to sleep. The kid wanted to nurse until 5:45. Hungry little guy! Fortunately, it put him to sleep, so I was able to get ready. I showered last night because I knew there was no way he would give me a block of time long enough to fully get ready this morning. Last night, I packed the diaper bag and got his clothes ready. So I just had to freshen up myself and get him ready.

I was hoping to get out of the house by 6:45. I figured that was early, but it's impossible to know what morning rush hour traffic will be like. It was a good thing we headed out when we did because I didn't pull up to the center until 7:55. It's not quite 30 miles away and almost all freeway (65mph), so you do the math.

Since it was such a long trip, Jackson wanted to eat! So I nursed him in the room when I was waiting for my OB. I got to hear a conversation between her and another patient's husband. Apparently, the lab got an abnormal result on her 1-hour GTT, so the OB wanted her to take the 3-hour test. The woman wasn't saying a word, just her husband accosting the doctor. Anyway, it went on and on, and this guy was ticked that she should have to take it. I think he was annoyed that it was an "abnormal" result, instead of a simple yes or no. Why he was so irate at the OB is beyond me. Anyway, it gave me plenty of time to nurse Jack. When I heard their conversation wrapping up, I put him down and plopped my naked tushy on the table.

She said that everything is looking good, including the tear/stitches (which are no longer there). She said it is kind of hard, but that it should soften with time. Unfortunately, the scar tissue bugs some women longer than others. And I'm an unlucky one. She did clear me for exercise and sex, but she told me to use lots of lube because it will probably hurt the first few times. You know that crass joke about the doctor adding a stitch? Well, I feel like that's what happened. How can I look forward to sex knowing it's going to hurt?

I also asked her to look at my nipples to get her opinion about thrush or no thrush. She actually thought they looked fine, other than just being irritated. She didn't examine Jackson, but she said that a milky tongue (if there aren't patches anywhere else in his mouth) could very well just be a stubborn milk residue. I've been reading more and more about it, and I've been thinking that might be all it is. And perhaps I just have overly sensitive nipples. I've been taking good care of them from the start, but I'm making extra-special care to protect/heal them now. I figured I'll just wait until Jackson's 2-month appointment with his doctor to have her look at his tongue. My OB said that they can prescribe Diflucan for me if Jack's doctor really thinks it's thrush.

Jackson started getting fussy just a few minutes before we got home, so it was pretty good timing. I fed him and changed him, and then fed him again, and then fed him again. I'm really hoping that he and I can get a nap this afternoon before William gets home with my SIL. He's picking her up from the airport around 5:00. I think it will work out well, since she can help out a lot. Even though I'm EBF, having her just hold him/entertain him so I can do little chores will be such a blessing. And if my pump parts would get here, she could even feed him a bottle here and there, giving me a little more time to get some stuff done.

Well, that was a pretty rambling update.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search