Jordan's Baby Journal

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree31Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC #1 Grads Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 24th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Hope Jordan is back to his old self again, poor little guy. Enjoy your many Thanksgivings and good luck packing!

January 3rd, 2013, 10:04 AM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
3 months and 3 weeks old

I'm still alive!!

Things have been super crazy, so here is a *hopefully* short recap:
--We had to pack up and move out by December 1st. We found a home for rent that is 3 times the size of our old place at the same price, and all 3 dogs were able to come with us
--Unpacking is still going on. It's near impossible to get everything done with a baby around!
--Jordan laughs, smiles, coos, babbles, "talks," holds his head all the way up during tummy time, is starting to try and scooch, and is just now starting to try and roll over (he's been lazy with that up until now ). He also grabs everything and is putting most things in his mouth, chewing on his hand, and drooling like a rabid dog. Not so fun news is he now spits up after almost every feeding during the day (right after burping too!) but not at all during his night time feeds. And I don't take in much dairy so I don't know what the issue is.. he doesn't seem uncomfortable, just lets it all out. Blech.
--Jordan spent 3+ weeks sleeping through the night, and then it stopped. We moved him to his crib last week and have been trying to give him a bed time between 7:30pm and 8:30pm. He has been waking up 2-3 times in the middle of the night but I think he is starting to get the hang of sleeping longer (fingers crossed)
--DH and I had colds just before Christmas, which Jordan caught for Christmas Eve. He was NOT a happy baby, but seemed a lot better (and slept a lot) on Christmas Day. He loves all his gifts and we have Christmas Part 2 with my mom's side of the family on Saturday where he will most likely get spoiled.
--Jordan was awake for the ball dropping on New Years, then screamed after we all yelled "Happy New Year" and DH and I both gave him a kiss. lol I shouldn't have laughed but it was funny and cute the way he scrunched his face up!
--I got all of 4 hours of sleep last night, all interrupted. I mostly blame DH and his snoring. I wake up for the baby and feed him, then can't get back to sleep because I'm married to a grizzly bear. I can't wait to sleep in on Saturday!
--I returned to work yesterday and Jordan also started daycare yesterday I didn't realize how sad I would be until I had everyone asking me all day long how the baby was. I really missed him and was soooo happy to pick him up!! Apparently he was grumpy for a bit a daycare and cried, but throughout the day he cried less. He was however SO glad to see me, and the caregivers said it was the most they saw him smile all day I'm glad he missed me so much but I hope he starts enjoying it there more or else I'm going to feel guilty forever.
--My company gave not only Christmas bonuses, but also iPad 2s to every employee. I received mine yesterday upon my return to work. I played on it last night and it's defective. Awesome. Now I have to go to the Apple Store in the KOP mall for a replacement. Which is always a nightmare. But hey, Free iPad
--Pumping at work is not my favorite thing. I work in a cubicle, so they have a pump room for ladies who need to use it. Only one room with a lock on the door and no windows, and it's halfway across my building. But I am pleased to report that on my first day I pumped a total of 10.5 oz in 2 30-minute sessions. Not the greatest but Jordan only took 2 bottles at daycare yesterday, so it was enough. This morning I pumped 7 oz in 30 minutes and I still have my afternoon session to do; am hoping for 7 more (or more!) Once my body learns my demands I'm sure I will be able to pump more in less time and have plenty to freeze

***Note to anyone thinking of pumping--definitely get the bustier! It is sooo much easier to pump both breasts and my boobs are so freaking big I couldn't hold both at the same time without either making a mess or the stupid flange popping off or not being able to adjust the speed and suction throughout. The Medela bustier I got from BRU is a life saver!!
I also ordered an entire extra set of pumping parts, this way I can keep one at home and one at work. It's a PITA to lug everything around and try and remember everything. This will also come in handy if anything were to break on me (gasp!).

Well, that's what is new with us. I wish I had more updates on Jordan but as I said things are still hectic from the move and the holidays. We are finally getting into a normal routine and I hope it leads to my little man sleeping through the night!

Now that I'm back at work I should be able to post more regularly. Just know that I check up on everyone daily on my phone, just wasn't posting much!

January 3rd, 2013, 10:24 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Glad to read an update, but wow have you been busy! Glad you found a place and got all moved!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
January 3rd, 2013, 11:42 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
aww, I can't imagine how hard it was at work although the free iPad must have lifted your spirits a bit! I hope Jordan does better at day care today. When I worked day care I always thought the kids' reactions to seeing their parents at the end of the day must be the best feeling ever.

January 3rd, 2013, 01:31 PM
Going back to work sucks. I know what you mean about being sad when everyone asks how the baby is. I'm sure things will get better though. Glad you're all moved, even if there's still plenty of unpacking to do.

I hate pumping at work, too, but at least I have my own office. So I can feel somewhat comfortable doing it. I pump 3 x per day at work, and the hands-free bustier has been a lifesaver, enabling me to keep working while I pump. Sorry your conditions aren't a little better.

I had to laugh about the snoring issue. My husband snores, too, but he's not terribly loud. It's never loud enough to wake me up. But, like you, when I wake up to feed Jackson, it's next to impossible to go back to sleep. And my little guy has NEVER slept through the night... not even close. So adding the snoring to the plate does not make me a happy camper. I'm sadly used to it now though. It's amazing how the body adapts.

January 7th, 2013, 09:34 AM
3 months, 3 weeks, and 4 days

I am super grateful that my little man sleeps in 3 hour stretches, but it's really taking its toll on me Last night I tried putting Jordan to bed at 8:20. He didn't fall asleep until after 9. So then I had to shower, get ready for bed, and get Jordan's stuff ready for daycare tomorrow. Finally went to sleep at 10pm.

Little man woke up at 12-something. I fed him and he fell back to sleep after 10-15 minutes (woohoo!) Then he woke up at 3am and wouldn't go back down for 45 minutes I set my alarm for 4:30 so by the time I fell back to sleep I was only able to get another 20 minutes in I seriously debated calling out and saying the baby was sick, but I have lots to do and I'd feel like an *** for a) calling out after only working 3 days and b) potentially jinxing Jordan and he wind up really getting sick.

So I'm at work and feel like a zombie. I try to have a good routine for Jordan but I'm not sure how I can "help" him sleep through the night, or at least only wake up once. Everyone tells me to put cereal in a bottle for him but I am sooo against that. Read too many horror stories about allergies, and also read that it's just empty calories to the babies and doesn't guarantee a whole night's sleep. I could just wind up making him fat, so I don't even want to consider cereal.

I hope Jordan picks up on the memo that he needs to sleep longer, or else mama can't function

In other news, I pumped 7 oz at my morning session! I really hope to get more than that this afternoon! I would love to be able to get 4+ bottles pumped while at work, and then have some to freeze for later.

Well lunch is over so bye for now!

January 7th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Sorry your little man is making you so tired! I bet he is just having a growth spurt or transitional phase (but don't ask me, I just have dogs so far!). I'm sure babies go through many phases like this, and he will find his schtick soon.

Sorry you are feeling zombie like, though

January 7th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Great pumping session! Sorry Jordan isn't sleeping well. I hope he starts sleeping longer stretches soon.

I would avoid the rice cereal too. Has his ped given the go ahead for solids yet? I think that's the best help. I plan to wait until 6 months even if I get the green light at 4 so understand if you want to wait but it may help.

January 8th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Robyn the ped said at his 2 mo checkup that we would discuss starting cereal at 4 mo but I'm not doing that. He does have his next appt on Friday the 18th.

3 months, 3 weeks, 5 days

This momma did not have a good night.

Jordan had just fallen asleep at 4pm when I picked him up at daycare at 4:15. Then they woke him up and he was all smiles He didn't sleep at home after that so I thought everything would be great last night.

He got tired around 6:30, so we gave him his bath, got him dressed in his jammies, and I nursed him before bed. He fell asleep at 7:20, which gave me time to make my lunch, straighten up the house a bit, shower, and have some down time before going to sleep. Went to sleep at 9, and little man woke up at 9:30 Kinda saw that coming but Jordan ate for a but and fell back to sleep 15 minutes later.

Sure enough, he woke back up 3 hours later at 12:30. No big deal, he ate some more and drifted back after 20 or so minutes. Then 3 hours later, at 3:30am, he woke up. At first it was ok because I coaxed him back to sleep without picking him up. As soon as I got back in bed he cried again. So I fed him and he fell asleep within 10 minutes. Put him down and he cries. I pick him up, he falls asleep in my arms. Put him down and he wakes up. Lather, rinse, and repeat about 3 times, with more times at the boob in there, but he kept pulling away. It ended with me crying at 4:10 in the glider trying to feed him. DH must have heard me on the baby monitor and came in and took the baby. He told me to go back to bed and he tried to get Jordan back to sleep. I cried for a bit in bed and ended up calling out from work since I had to be up 15 minutes later.

DH had taken Jordan downstairs because he seemed to want to play (I didn't tell him that that would be a bad move and only encourage his 3am wake up...). I told him to bring Jordan back in bed with me. Jordan slept next to me and nursed a bit and DH and I got more sleep. Alarm went off at 5:30 and he didn't want to get up so I set it for 7. J-man stayed asleep. DH got up at 7 and me and the baby stayed in bed. He ate more and we both slept another hour before DH got him ready for daycare.

Yes, I stayed home from work and Jordan still went to daycare. I feel bad but I need a me day. We get charged for the week regardless if Jordan misses a day (unless it's a planned vacation), and I got really upset with him last night (shame on me) that I thought it best if he go and I get some time to myself for once. I'm going to pump like normal and I also have some things I've wanted to do around the house (like finally get my clothes away) and then I'll pick up Jordan later.

I hit a breaking point last night but I hope I can deal with the 3am wake up better in the future. It's also not good that the past 2 work days I started to doze on the way home..it was really scary yesterday and I need to figure out what I can do to stay awake while driving in the afternoon.

Anyway, that's my update and I feel like a crap mom. I just keep trying to tell myself that this is temporary, he will sleep longer eventually, and no matter what I love my little guy!

January 8th, 2013, 08:18 AM
You are NOT a crap mom, you need to make sure YOU are healthy and rested to be able to care for your son. Don't even THINK about feeling bad about calling out from work and taking a day to yourself. We are human, remember that.

I know it's not the same, but it's the closest I can relate right now, but I have done this with my dogs, especially Max. They are both geriatric (i.e. that technically means they are considered older for their size than a "senior" dog). Max is blind, deaf, missing one eye, missing 2 toes, has sundowners/dementia, and a host of other issues. I have to give him 4 meds a day, 2x a day, and he sometimes has accidents in the house. He can't go down the steps himself (he can go up though!). (First you might think, is this quality of life?? Well, yes, aside from all the bad I just pointed out, he's actually pretty darn happy, he's just annoying!!).

So when DH gets home from work sometimes, I shove Max at him and go in my bedroom and shut the door. At this point, Max has been whining and circling and slipping on the floor for 2-3 hours b/c of his dementia and I just need a break. I feel like a bad mommy, but sometimes, we just hit our breaking point. We have left them in the kennel for an extra day sometimes on the tail end of a vacation, just to have that little extra break.

So, ya, it's not the same, but I get it. Take the time for you. YOU need to rejuvenate, and make yourself feel better in order to be the best mommy to Jordan, so I actually think it's a great thing that you are taking this time for YOU.

Hope you get some things done and get some rest today.

xx

January 8th, 2013, 10:53 AM
you are a GREAT mom for realizing you needed to take today for yourself. It's not like you do this every day. It makes you an even better mom to recharge so you can take care of Jordan safely. Of course you still love him! I hope you're getting some well-deserved sleep.

January 9th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Thanks ladies for the kind words, I really needed it

3 months, 3 weeks, 6 days

So I did enjoy my relaxation yesterday I sat on my butt and watched TV, and ate 2 uninterrupted meals when I got hungry (not an hour after being hungry like usual )
I also got more of my clothes away, so they aren't taking up half the bedroom. Then I went out to but dog food and I was able to pick Jordan up earlier than normal Still all smiles for me

I decided that from now on when Jordan wakes up at 3am, I'm just bringing him to bed with me. I was trying to not do that, but it's the only way I can get that last hour + of sleep before my alarm goes off. Last night he went down at 8ish then woke up to eat at 11 something. Then he woke again at 2ish and little stinker didnt want to eat! He just wanted to be held and rocked back to sleep, so I did that and hoped he'd stay sleep for another 2-3 hours. Nope! He woke at 3 again and I brought him in bed. He was wide awake and didnt want to nurse... He kept talking back to DH's snores so I gave him the paci, kept my boob out just in case, and we both fell asleep quickly. I woke up at 4:30 refreshed; got ready for work; then woke him up to feed one last time and to put him in the crib. However, when he woke up he didnt want to go to sleep so I brought him downstairs with DH and he was happy as a clam. No worries though because I feel SO MUCH better today!

So yeah, he is still sleeping in the crib, but his early morning wake ups mean he is gettig in our bed. Worked so well last night that I'm just gonna keep doing that until he sleeps through... And I don't have to feel like a zombie!

January 9th, 2013, 02:10 PM
You do what you gotta do, mama! Taking care of yourself is so important to taking care of Jordan.

Jackson has been going through a major sleep regression, just when we were "ready" to transition to his crib. I'm talking waking up every 60-90 minutes, usually wanting to eat and sometimes not. I actually cried at 4:30 yesterday morning when he was wide awake after I had barely gotten any sleep. I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep any more for the morning (I get up at 5:30), and I just cried. I was going on about seven days of that every 60-90 minute wake-ups, and I was so exhausted.

Fortunately, last night he slept until 2:30am! Of course, my boobs weren't used to that, so I had to get up and pump one of them after I fed him from the other. It was still way better than my hourly wake-up call.

January 9th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Adrienne I'm SO glad he slept longer!!! I hope it continues and you're able to get that much needed sleep!!

January 10th, 2013, 09:30 AM
3 months, 4 weeks

Progress! ...ish

Last night was by far the best night in a while! Put Jordan to sleep at 8ish and he was down for a whole hour. Then while I was playing on my iPad in bed, he woke up around 9 and was NOT happy! It took a good 20+ minutes to settle him down (and he refused to eat). I had to stand over his crib swinging AND bouncing him at the same time to get him to fall back to sleep But whatever I did must have worked because he slept 4 whole hours and woke up at 1:30 to eat

He didn't eat very long, despite my trying to keep him awake to get a full belly, but I put him back to bed asleep. The minute I finally went back to sleep myself, he started crying (not just fussing). I went into his room and his eyes were wide open, so I knew that just giving him the paci wouldn't be enough to get him asleep again. Sooo into our bed he went! And little man fell right to sleep along with me He didn't even need the boob OR the paci to do so!

Imagine my surprise when the next time I woke up was with my alarm at 4:30, and little man was still asleep He stirred a bit when I got out of bed and turned my light on, but I gave him the paci and he stayed sleeping until I was ready for work and had to wake him up for his last feed before I had to leave. And this time, he didn't fully wake up when I walked him into his room to feed him He ate for a good 15 minutes and fell asleep, then I switched him and offered the other breast since it was feeling a little full. He took it for 5 minutes, so that was enough to satisfy us both, and I put him in his crib and he stayed asleep for DH until 6:30ish.

All in all, a MUCH better night and morning for all of us! I still worry that we are getting him into "bad habits" by putting him in bed with us every night, but we need our sleep. Plus I figure once he sleeps longer and longer, there will be no need to bring him in with us eventually...

Other good news--I pumped a full 8 oz this AM (4.5 from one side, 3.5 from the other)--enough for 2 whole bottles; and it only took 20 minutes! I hope my body is finally picking up on my demands. However, at my afternoon sessions, I'm only getting about 3 or 4 oz total. I would love to get 2 more bottles in the afternoon, but it just doesn't happen. Fortunately I am able to pump more after picking Jordan up from daycare, especially when they give him a bottle in the late afternoon. So far I am covering his daily demands plus a little extra, but I can't wait to get to the point where I am able to freeze a lot as well. All in due time.

So, that's my awesome Thursday update! I've only been back at work for 1 full week and already I feel like we are making all of the new adjustments work well!

January 10th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Great update, Dani. I'm glad last night was better.

I don't know if you saw in my journal, but a friend recommended drinking Gatorade to boost supply. I didn't think much of it, but I tried it this week. I pump three times per day at work. I would always pump the most in my morning session, and then just four ounces mid-day and four ounces in the late afternoon, sometimes only three ounces. I started drinking a bottle of Gatorade each day, and I was able to pump 6 1/2 ounces still during the afternoon session. I was stoked! So you might just give it a shot and see if it helps you too.

I know what you mean about establishing bad habits by letting him sleep with you. I'm right there with you. I never planned to co-sleep; quite the opposite. It's just ended up working best for us for the time being. I also wanted to transition him to his crib when he was sleeping for longer periods of time at night. However, that's still not happening on a regular basis. I know we'll get there. The last thing I want is a three-year-old who still wants to sleep with his parents. But I need sleep and Jack needs sleep, and I'm just resolved to doing it this way for now.

January 13th, 2013, 01:53 PM
4 months old

Well, Jordan caught his first cold from daycare
I picked him up on Friday and he had a nasty cough, the sniffles, and his voice is just weak BUT happy as a clam!

He was the same way yesterday, but I made a doctors appt since his cough is so bad, and his temp was 100 degrees. Unfortunately there isn't much they can do for a viral cold, but they did tell me what to watch for and to call if his temp hits 102 or is still there by Tuesday. I just forgot to ask what meds I can take in case I have the same symptoms. But he was still smiley and otherwise normal, so I didn't feel too bad when DH and I went through with our date plans and dropped Jordan off at my parents last night. It was nice to get out and enjoy a cocktail. And his fever broke without me having to give him Tylenol.

And now today... We didn't get home until after midnight. Jordan stayed asleep in his carseat while I pumped a bottle, then I fed him and put him to bed in his crib around 1. He stayed asleep until 5am but poor little guy would have some coughing fits that he stayed asleep through but freaked me out where I kept going into his room to check on him and his breathing I was actually happy to bring him in bed at 5.

We stayed asleep until 11 then and he woke up with all smiles His temp was 99.9 this am so I gave him some Tylenol. He was ok for a little while other than coughing a lot more but he got grumpy about an hour ago when he was having a hard time going to sleep for a nap. I had to turn out the lights and lay him next to me on the couch so he could comfort nurse under a blanket. My arm fell asleep but I really do love cuddling up with him When he wakes up I will check his temp again and if he still has a fever then DH will be calling out of work for Monday to stay with him. I wish I could but things are pretty hectic for me at the office and I have too many deadlines to hit already.

So that's my update. He turned 4 months today and is sick However, I have noticed that he doesn't fit into some of his 0-3 mo clothes, so later this week and this weekend i'll be switching him to his 3-6 mo clothes! And in the next day or so we will be out of size 1 diapers and he'll be in size 2!

January 14th, 2013, 09:27 AM
4 months, 1 day

My baby did not have a good night

After his nap yesterday he was fine until he got tired again, so I put him to bed around 8:30. He fell asleep pretty quickly and stayed asleep until after 11pm despite him still having a few coughing fits. I decided to just bring him to our bed then rather than early in the am, especially since I keep worrying about his breathing.

He woke up at least once every hour, sometimes more than once. There was at least one whole hour that I was completely awake because Jordan kept coughing on and off and wouldn't stay asleep very long His nose was all messy too so I think that had a lot to do with it. So I got very little sleep, but fortunately I can function for today; I feel fine actually but I know 2 days in a row of this would not be good. I joked with DH that Jordan's birthday gift to me was some special 1-on-1 time throughout the night

Jordan woke up when I got done getting ready for work, so I took him to his room and fed him, and he fell right back to sleep. DH said he stayed asleep for about an hour and a half, then he took a whole bottle and fell asleep again. His temp was 99.6 when he woke up for good at 8.

I just got off the phone with DH and he said that Jordan has been fussing the last 2 hours and wouldn't settle down (like what he did with me yesterday afternoon), so he strapped him in the carseat and went for a drive. Now (at noon) Jordan is out like a light and DH gets some peace I really hope he stays asleep until at least 3:30 or 4, that way I can be there when he wakes up (or shortly thereafter). He will get his temp checked again this evening...if he has a fever then I'll have to stay home tomorrow and get him back to the doctor. If he has another bad night of sleep then I'll probably have to stay home anyway.

I think the cold is finally taking it's toll on him... I just miss my smiley happy baby

January 14th, 2013, 09:43 AM
I remember when my niece got her first cold...I was doing Facetime with them, and even from afar, across the miles, it broke my heart to see her sniffle Hope your little man is on the mend soon

January 15th, 2013, 07:54 AM
So sorry Jordan is sick. Our whole house got a cold when Jack was just 2 1/2 months old, and it broke my heart to see him that way. He didn't have it as bad as you describe Jordan, so I can only imagine how concerned you must be for him. Not to mention, you must be exhausted.

I hope he kicks the bug quickly. Hugs to you both.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search