Jordan's Baby Journal

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree31Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC #1 Grads Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2013, 09:53 AM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
4 months, 3 days

I guess I should start where I left... sorry that this will be so long.

So Monday DH said Jordan wouldn't stay asleep for more than 20 minutes without fussing He slept longest right before I got home, which was about an hour. Then he woke up and saw me, and he was all smiles for me (DH was super bummed because Jordan was grumpy for him all day). Monday night he had another fever of 100 degrees, so he got tylenol before bed. I hate that we've given him so much tylenol lately, but it's the only relief I can give him That night he woke up about every 2 hours with his stuffiness and coughing.

I stayed home with him Tuesday and DH went to work. We stayed in bed until about 9ish. When he woke up, I didn't get my normal early-morning smiles He maybe half-smiled once; usually he's all cheerful and talkative. His temp was still up (100.2) so I called the doctor's office because on Saturday I was told if he still had a fever, then to call Tuesday. Well the receptionist had no notes about what to do if he still had the fever, so my options were to wait until 1pm when that doctor arrived to the office and have her call me back, or make an appointment to see a different doctor (the actual pediatrician) at 1pm. I went with option 2.

So we were home for a bit; Jordan fussed a bit before finally going down for a nap. I usually don't have a problem getting him to sleep but he was just miserable. He woke up shortly before we had to leave, so I had time to feed him and change him, then strapped Mr. Grumpy into the carseat and he cried the entire way to the doctor. While at the doctor's, it was the happiest I had seen him in a few days! He was having so much fun getting attention from the nurses and doctor, playing on the examining table, and I brought a toy and a book for him to play with. After an hour there though the doctor wanted to put him on a nebulizer because she suspects he has RSV. He was wheezing a bit that night and also that morning. After they started the machine he was a nightmare!! He DID NOT like it, nor did he want the vapor on him. He cried for 5 minutes before they turned it off. She said she wouldn't know if it had an effect until after about 10 more minutes, so she left while I tried to calm him down. Ugh.

So anyway, she gets back and his wheeze appears to be gone, so then she rethinks the RSV diagnosis... she said to try a cool mist humidifier in his bedroom and that should help break up the mucus. She said if he was worse in the morning then to call.

Soooo home we went. Jordan fell asleep while checking out (yay!) and stayed asleep for a little while at home (I kept him in the carseat until he woke up on his own...just better that way). This time he gave daddy smiles when he got home even though I didn't get much throughout the day. It's interesting how that happened 2 days in a row! He got grumpy again around 7:30 so I figured that meant it was time for bed. DH had bought the humidifier on his way home and we had that going. I got Jordan ready for bed and he only ate for about 10 minutes before falling to sleep.

Other than fussing twice because the binky fell out of his mouth, he didn't wake up until 11:20pm. I heard him cough on the monitor a little before then but he stayed asleep. I fed him and again he was out after 10 or so minutes. When he woke up again it was either in the 1:00 or 2:00 hour (I was so out of it I can't even remember if I looked at the clock) so as I had been doing, I brought him in our bedroom to sleep for the rest of the night until my alarm went off.

Well... I must have made a HUGE mistake (that I still feel completely guilty about) because at 2:45 Jordan woke up coughing and didn't stop for at least 10 minutes. When I heard him I tried elevating him and he'd stop for a bit, but the second I laid him back down he started again Finally I got up so I could suction the mucus out of his mouth and nose, but stupid me left the nasal aspirator downstairs Soooo down we went, and he's coughing the whole time. On the way back upstairs to his bedroom, he threw up. All over himself, all over my arm, and some got on the floor He cried so badly after that, I knew it hurt and he didn't like it.

I got him on the changing table, DH finally got out of bed, and started to take his dirty clothes off. When he was down to his onesie, I saw that he was going to get sick again and sat him up. Yup, all over the changing pad and onesie. I about cried right there with him Got him naked, changed his diaper, and he got sick 2 or 3 more times, this time while I was sitting up and rubbing/patting his back, and smart me was holding a burp cloth under him. The last few he had brought up mostly mucus. It was so horrible seeing my baby in pain But that was the last of him getting sick thankfully.

He was still coughing but I was able to suction his mouth and nose, and take his temp which was 99.8. DH gave him some more tylenol and suctioned him out again while I fed him in between the "bad" stuff. He pulled away a lot so I'm not sure how much he actually took in, but I was so worried that he'd get dehydrated after throwing up that I wanted to be persistent. After a little while he started smiling at me and chatting... At least that told me that *hopefully* the worst was over. So I brought my now-happy baby back to our bed, gave him the binky since he didn't want the boob, and he started to fall asleep after he realized that it was still bed time. He fell asleep with his arm in my face and his other arm up under DH's pillow. Silly boy.

My alarm went off an hour later and I was soo tired. I debated shutting it off and going back to sleep, but I have so much to do at work DH had already volunteered to stay home with him. Jordan didn't wake up until I had already left for work, and DH said he had a hard time going back to sleep. He is miserable again today but fortunately his temp was 98.0. I hope it stays down but lately it's been getting higher as the day goes on. We will check it later and hope it's low enough.

I called the ped because of Jordan's awful night. When she finally got back to me she said to take him to the hospital to get tested for RSV. DH took him and said he did great until they suctioned the 2nd nostril, but he calmed down after DH gave him the paci and rocked him a bit. They are home now but I haven't talked to DH about how he's doing/sleeping/eating/etc. I am annoyed that the ped at the hospital didn't do an assessment of Jordan while he was there, but apparently he was the 4th or so baby to go there for the RSV test. I guess it's going around...

The ped said we should have results in a couple of hours; the hospital told DH that we'd get results either today, tomorrow, or Friday... WTH???? I hope it's the 2ish hours because I just want to know what's causing this, even if we can't do much more about his symptoms. I want to talk to the ped again before the day is over, but I'm pretty sure little man will be home tomorrow and Friday, too. Maybe he will be back to his happy self by the weekend.

January 16th, 2013, 10:12 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Boo! Poor baby! I hope they can ID it soon so the little guy can get on the road to recovery with proper meds if needed. Hang in there, I can't imagine how hard it must be to see him feeling so yucky! x

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
January 16th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Poor little Jordan. I hope it's not RSV. I have heard it's going around, though. I also hope you get his results today and that he starts feeling better soon.

January 16th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Poor, poor Jordan. Really hope it's not RSV, but I guess at least you will know the cause. You and DH are an awesome team, caring for your sick baby boy. Hoping he will feel better soon.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
January 16th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Evening Update

Well he definitely has RSV Jordan will be home for the rest of the week. I'm staying home with him tomorrow and DH and I want to get his Friday schedule from work before deciding who will be home then.

Poor little man was miserable all day and DH said he slept for the majority of it and fussed the rest So far he has been fever-free today but I do wanna check him before bed. He didn't eat as much as usual today but the doc said it's ok so long as he doesn't seem to be struggling with his breathing when he does eat.

I have to call his daycare and let them know what's up. I know he got it from a kid there so they are probably already aware of it; I just have to make sure he will be able to go back on Tuesday after the MLK jr holiday.

Thanks everyone for thinking of us The doc did say that for him having RSV so young he is doing pretty awesome. Most babies get hospitalized for it, so I'm going to thank the booby milk for this one
Mom2JDub likes this.

January 16th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Yay for booby milk!
DaniM0820 likes this.

January 16th, 2013, 06:02 PM

I'm sorry he has RSV, but at least knowing what it is will help with providing the proper treatment for him. Hopefully he's a champ through it all, like his parents, and you all recover quickly and easily. Big hugs!

January 16th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Sorry it's RSV. What's the treatment for it? Yay for boob juice!

January 17th, 2013, 03:55 AM
I was told we can't give him anything other than for fever (which still none as of this am--woohoo!) and to make sure he gets his fluids and have the humidifier on at night for him. I guess since it's a virus then antibiotics wouldn't work anyway, an he's too young for cold meds.

He woke up every hour or two last night, so I'm thankful to be home and able to catch some more shut eye! The last three times he woke up were from coughing so much, which sucks to hear but I'm glad he seems to be getting some of the crappy stuff out. And other than at 6 when he was up for 30+ mins due to diaper change, temp check, coughing and eating, he was going back to sleep after 10 mins of eating. I know he's exhausted but he's in bed with me now so I'm hoping for a good stretch of sleep.
Mom2JDub likes this.

January 18th, 2013, 01:53 PM
4 months, 5 days

Jordan had a fever again yesterday when we woke up at 10, so he got Tylenol and took a nap an hour after we woke up. He actually did REALLY well yesterday! He was awake longer than previous days, and he spent time smiling, playing, and laughing It made me so happy to see! His fever was not there the rest of the day, and little man got tired at 7:30 so I got him ready to bed.

He had such a great night (mostly.....) he woke up at 10:30 (hungry), 1:30 (coughing, then hungry), and 4:30 (), so 3 hour stretches. However, when he woke up at 4:30 from coughing so much, I was sitting him up and patting him in the back, and he projectile vomited all over It got on part of the boopy, the arm of the glider, and on the blanket and sleep sack he was in...but mostly on me. I needed a complete wardrobe change and he needed just the blanket and sleep sack changed. But little man was all smiles when he was done coughing and while getting his clothes and diaper changed. I guess the mucus has been giving him belly aches, and then with all the coughing he just let it all out. But at least he was happy after.

When he was all changed I fed him and out him back to bed at 5. Then I hopped in the shower (yeah you would too after that!) and enjoyed a 20 minute shower. By that time it wasn't worth falling back to sleep because the alarm was going to go off at 6am for DH to get up, so I waited. I played on my phone, then went back to sleep after DH got up. Jordan woke up at 7 so I brought him in bed to feed him and get more sleep. We woke up at 10 something and he was all smiles he's been acting pretty normal today and playing a lot and NO fever If it's still gone before bed then I'm going to consider it gone for good

So today I put a bunch of 0-3 mo clothes away because Jordan finally grew out of them. The 3-month clothes are still out, and I have to get his 3-6 mo clothes in his dresser. New clothes to dress him in are so much fun, I can't wait When he wouldn't go down for a nap this afternoon I decided to take him for a ride. DH and I have been looking for a swing since DH has such a hard time putting Jordan down for naps when they are home alone (and that's what they use at daycare) but we didn't want to spend a ton of $$ since we don't know how much longer he can use it. Sooo we got the name of a consignment shop and Jordan and I went there this afternoon.

Must have been the right time because they had ONE swing--graco, and it looked brand new and was 50% off, so I scored it for only $25! (Happy dance) He's actually napping in it right now, and the purchase didn't break the bank Oh and other plus is since Jordan was out of daycare for a whole week they said we won't get charged for it

So, yeah rough time at 4:30 but I think Jordan is finally starting to do so much better and getting back to his old self I missed my smiley baby, and though he still has the cough (and probably will for a while), I'm glad he's happier

January 18th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Sounds like he is on the mend...that is so great! I can't imagine how hard it must have been to see him feeling so yucky.

What a GREAT steal on that swing!!!

January 18th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Awesome that you got such a good deal on the swing! You can't beat that price, even if you can only use it for a month or two.

I'm glad Jordan seems to be feeling much better. Hopefully the fever is gone for good!

January 18th, 2013, 07:31 PM
Glad he's doing better and you got such a great deal on a swing! I love consignment stores!

January 22nd, 2013, 03:43 AM
4 months, 1 week, 2 days old

I feel like I can't catch a break...

As I said in my last post, Jordan did really well on Friday and was fine for the entire day! He was also better all weekend; I am so glad we don't have to deal with the RSV anymore! He still has a bit of a cough, but he sounds so much better and isn't hacking up a lung anymore

As for me, I haven't gotten much sleep for the last 3 days in a row. Jordan has been a royal pain in the butt. Over the weekend I could at least sleep in, but yesterday and today I haven't been able to. Since he kicked his illness, he has been sleeping in only 1-2 hour stretches at night. The only time he has slept longer is right after I put him down around 7:30/8:00 until about 10:30/11:00. But unfortunately for me, I haven't been able to get to sleep until after 10pm, which means I get woken up about 30 minutes after falling asleep, then every hour or 2 after. I am losing my mind and my patience. I don't know if him being sick is what caused this craptastic sleep schedule or if its something else... Even putting him in bed with me hasn't been helpful because he still wakes up constantly but barely eats, and he spends a lot of time kicking me. The only good thing is I don't end up having to get out of bed to tend to him, but I can't help but wonder if maybe he would sleep longer if he were in the crib, and then I'm afraid to try that because it could mean me waking up every hour still :sad: I just don't know what to do.

On top of that, he was also a royal pain most of the day yesterday. He fought every time I tried putting him down for a nap and would cry and fuss for a long time before finally falling to sleep; he spit up after EVERY feeding; and he fussed a lot even when he wasn't hungry or tired. He is so not like that normally, I don't know why he was like that yesterday. It got to the point where I didn't even want to be dealing with him (but that could have a lot to do with the sleep deprivation as of late...) I also think my lack of sleep and elevated stress levels are causing me to get sick. My throat is scratchy and I've been feeling nausous and just generally crappy. And today after my 3rd awful night of sleep, I feel about ready to cry. I do not want to be at work today, but I am already so behind since I had to take so much time off for Jordan...and it stresses me out even more.

Ugh. I feel like I'm complaining so much even though I am SO happy to have Jordan. I just wish with all my heart that he would get back to his old sleep habits. I can deal with waking every 3 hours or so. This, I cannot take much longer...

January 22nd, 2013, 01:52 PM
We totally have the same baby.

I would bet that Jordan is in the throes of the four-month sleep regression. Jackson's seriously seemed to last for a whole month, and he's finally getting back to normal (which is just waking up twice during the night). I was a walking zombie for weeks. There is an end in sight, though. Hang in there.
DaniM0820 likes this.

January 22nd, 2013, 05:40 PM

January 23rd, 2013, 04:02 AM
Adrienne, it really helps to know that there may be a "reason" for the no sleep--thank you for sharing! And to hear there will be an end to it is even better!!

4 months, 1 week, 3 days

I think Jordan does much better on a schedule. Everything got wonky with him being sick all last week and then with the holiday on Monday. Yesterday he was back at daycare, and though he only took 2 bottles all day, he napped for 50 minutes in the morning and then 3.5 hours in the afternoon, waking up shortly before I went to pick him up. His caregivers always ask me if I want them to wake him up when he sleeps for such long stretches, and my answer is always the same: "Let me see how he does during the night and we'll take it from there."

Well, he was awake from 3:30pm until 7:30pm last night. He was SO smiley and playful and happy (except when I had to wear him in the infant carrier in order to make dinner) and didn't nap the entire evening! Then he got super tired at 7:30 and I put him to bed. Other than waking up once briefly wanting his pacifier, he slept until midnight He ate for 10 minutes then drifted back to sleep. For whatever reason he woke up again at 12:30 and stayed awake for 5 minutes, but then he slept until 2:30am, ate for his 10 minutes, then went to bed with momma When I was done getting ready for work, I moved him to his room and fed him. He stayed asleep but the second I put him in his crib, his eyes popped open. He was quiet so I left him there to see if he would go back to sleep.

Well, as I left the house DH apparently went in there and took him out, got him changed and dressed, and brought him downstairs. He figured as long as Jordan was awake he could play with his toys downstairs, but we both know he only stays awake for 30-60 minutes that early in the morning, then he wants more sleep But that's ok, at least they are getting some play time in

So yeah, MUCH better night, even though I am still dog tired! I think just the fact that he has a routine during the day helps with his sleeping at night. I am hoping last night wasn't just a fluke, but at least I am prepared for the 4-month sleep regression that Adrienne mentioned!

January 23rd, 2013, 11:20 AM
I hope it wasn't a fluke and the start of a schedule from this point forward. And perhaps even better, allowing Mommy more time to sleep.

January 25th, 2013, 04:26 AM
4 months, 1 week, 5 days

So Wednesday night was super fantastic! Jordan came home from daycare and stayed awake until he got tired around 7. Fell asleep at 7:20, fussed once in the 8 o'clock hour that stopped once we gave him his paci, and then he stayed sound asleep until 2:50! OMG I felt so awesome from getting 4.5 straight hours of sleep myself! He ate for about 15 minutes, then drifted back off. Even though he woke up close to my alarm I decided to keep him in the crib. Went back to bed around 3:10 and my alarm went off without baby cries I was able to get ready and leave for work, and Jordan didn't wake up until after 5:30 He was a bit fussy for Daddy yesterday morning but he was happy at daycare!

And because Jordan only ate from the one side once during the night, I pumped 7 oz from my left boob yesterday morning, and only 2.5 from the right. I have NEVER had that much from one boob at one time! And by the end of my afternoon session I pumped a total of 15oz Again, the most I have gotten in one day, and I was so happy because since I was home with Jordan for so many days last week, on Tuesday I only pumped 8oz the whole day and on Wednesday it was 10.5. So this 15 was amazing

I leave work around noon so will only get 1 session this morning (and hopefully pump again once I'm home with Jordan), but I don't think I will get as much because Jordan was up a bit more last night. He went down at 7 and woke for the first time at midnight, ate for his 10 mins (I LOVE how efficient he has become at the breast) and didn't wake again until about 2:30. I tried putting him back in the crib but he kept waking up and crying, so into my bed he went. He actually woke up a few times in my last 2 hours of sleep, and he was kicking me quite a bit. When I got ready for work at 4:30 Jordan was WIDE AWAKE, so he got a nice full belly before I left the house and he played downstairs with DH. I'm sure he went back to sleep already, and then it's off to daycare for him at 8:30.

And no for my not-so-good news. Yesterday when I got home I noticed we didn't have any hot water. I looked at our thermostat (which we keep at 68) and it said it was 64 in the house. When DH got home, he tried hitting the reset button for the heater, and it would kick on for a minute and then go out again. What sucks is we have oil heat, and that is also what heats the water (ugh). AND we're renting, so I tried contacting our landlord about the issue but only got voicemail. I left a message and he still hasn't called me back. But we went ahead and had a guy come look at it, and it needs a part that will hopefully fix it. The suckiest part was that he has to wait until his supplier opens this AM to see if he has it...if not, then it has to be ordered and we have no idea how long it would take. And of COURSE this happens during the coldest days of the year!

Our only saving grace is that the living room has a coal burning stove, which can heat up the entire house (but turns the living room into a sauna ). DH got that started after the heater guy left, and it kept the upstairs warm and toasty all night (in the 70s, actually). I had still had Jordan bundled but I'm glad it was warm enough to be able to leave him in his bedroom for most of the night. Unfortunately though we couldn't get showers last night, and Jordan was supposed to get a bath. I told DH that if the heater isn't fixed today, then I will probably take Jordan to my parents' house for a good part of the weekend. We might just need to be there for showers though since the coal stove works so awesomely It just sucks to have to deal with this after not even being at the place for 2 months! However, the part that died was the kind of thing where even if the heater is serviced regularly (which we were told it was), then this thing can just go regardless. Oh well. At least we aren't freezing and didn't have to spring for a hotel room or something!
Mom2JDub likes this.

January 25th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Hope you get your heat and hot water back soon. Great job on pumping! My supply keeps increasing, and I get so stoked when I'm able to pump more than 20 ounces in a day. And I totally know what you mean about Jordan being more efficient at the breast. He may still be waking up during the night, but a ten-minute feeding is so much nicer than a 30-minute feeding.

Happy Friday!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search