Jordan's Baby Journal

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree31Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC #1 Grads Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 18th, 2013, 04:30 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Wow, how is he 6 months already!?!?!

I hope the water has been helping and that the little man is feeling better these days!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
March 18th, 2013, 05:02 PM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
I hope Jordon is feeling better and you are able to get more sleep.

Forever missing my angel 2010

March 21st, 2013, 09:33 AM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
6 months, 1 week, 1 day

I think little man is going through some kind of sleep regression... We kind of got the constipation issue under control. He isn't fussing about it anymore and has been pooping more regularly. However, since his issues he has been a bigger handful at night. He used to fall asleep while nursing and then I could get him in his crib with no problem. Lately though that will work when first putting him to bed, but when he wakes in the middle of the night (still 1-3 times before I leave for work) he has been taking a lot longer to settle down again. I feed him and he either falls asleep at the breast and then wakes when I put him back down in the crib, OR he eats until he's full and then fusses. I've been having to rock him and/or walk with him in his room to get him back to sleep. It's been taking over 30 minutes before I can get back to bed myself; it used to be 10-15 minutes of nursing and he'd be out.

I don't know what is causing it, but a part of me is wondering if it's finally tooth pain. He has been extra clingy at night with wanting to be rocked and held. It's funny because a couple of weeks ago I told DH how I miss when he would fall asleep on my chest as a newborn and we could cuddle like that all afternoon. Well, that came back with a vengeance, only now I have to be up for work at 4:30 am But yeah, daycare had mentioned they think he is teething, and I have noticed some white-ish spots on his gums. I think it is a matter of days before we see a tooth! If we do, then I'll know the cause of all this; if not then I'm lost!

March 26th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Just catching up! I imagine you're having that six-month sleep regression and teething. Sounds EXACTLY like what Jack went through (and then he got sick on top of it). He cut his first tooth last week after being a fussy butt and super-clingy for a couple of weeks. He's been back to normal (despite having another cold) since that tooth popped through.

I love your siggy too!

Last edited by Mom2JDub; March 27th, 2013 at 12:33 PM.
March 27th, 2013, 04:32 AM
While I can't speak from experience, I know sleep regressions happen at various stages. Hope this doesn't last too long. Wonderful new siggy!

March 27th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aren't all these sleep regressions fun?! I hope that tooth pops soon and he gets some relief! The amber necklace helps Sean but only if J put it on his ankle at night so he has it on 24/7.

March 28th, 2013, 04:07 AM
6 months, 2 weeks, 1 day

No teeth yet! However, Jordan has upped his symptoms... yesterday he had a random blowout diaper at daycare, even though for the past couple weeks his BMs have been really hard. He has also upped his breastmilk intake at daycare, so I'm not sure if that could be a response to teething or possibly a growth spurt on top of it! He also had a couple days where he refused his purees; he only took a few bites before stopping all together. Normally he opens his mouth up really wide for each bite and finishes most or all of what we give him. If it is a tooth I really hope it pops soon!

Fortunately he hasn't been too grumpy the past few days, though he does have his moments where he screams for no reason and looks like he's in pain, and then a few minutes later he's fine. Little weirdo. Nighttime sleep hasn't been too bad; I haven't had to rock him as long and he hasn't been waking up upon going back in the crib, so that is a huge relief! He has started doing something super sweet though--when I get him back in his crib, he immediately reaches out for a stuffed giraffe we leave in there that he normally just "talks" to in the morning. I thought it was a fluke when I saw him do it a couple days ago, but last night he was put in his crib 3 times and did it every time, the last time grabbing it and cuddling it to get back to sleep

Not crawling yet either but Jordan has certainly learned how to "get around." He now rolls and scooches all over the floor to get to where he wants to go. He doesn't stay in one spot for too long, but fortunately he isn't SO mobile that I'm worried he's going to get into things he's not supposed to (though I'm sure he's not far behind...) He is so close to crawling though--yesterday he even picked up his belly and was on all fours; I thought for sure he was going to crawl! Instead he plopped back down and rolled onto his back. I am not really prepared for a super mobile baby, but I am so excited to watch him advance!!

In other development news, I noticed that Jordan is already working on his pincer grasp!! It shocked the heck out of my when I watched him repeatedly pick up some of his toys with his finger and thumb rather than his whole hand. This kid amazes me more with each passing day! So I decided to have some fun with a ripe avacado--I cut some up in really little pieces and put them on his high chair tray to see what he'd do... He had so much fun smashing them He did grab quite a few of them but they didn't make it to his mouth until he decided to suck on his hand. I picked up some pieces and he ate them off of my fingers, but he wasn't interested in eating them off his spoon very much, until he decided to grab it to try and feed himself. He shocked me again when he got the spoon to his mouth and opened wide for it! Didn't quite get the food off of it, but it was an awesome first try! He did make a huge mess but we had a lot of fun with it

I have to admit that before I was getting worried when Jordan would barely ever roll over when so many others in our PR were doing it constantly. Well, now he's a pro and is also advancing so much in other areas, I have to try and remember to stop worrying and he will do things in his own time (easier said than done!). I know Jordan is able to do many things that other babies his age do not yet do (did I mention how he can sit unassisted for longer periods of time now without trying to topple over???), I really need to just sit back and enjoy all of the things he does do right now.

I feel like my post got kind of brag-y, but I'm just so happy and such a proud mama!

He has his 6 month check tomorrow, so I can't wait to get his weight and height checked! He is finally growing out of some of his 3-6 month clothes, so I need to start getting out the 6 month and 6-9 month stuff! Still in size 2 diapers even though we are down to our last couple packs and I have a TON of size 3. I think I will try him in a 3 and see how they fit. If waaay big then I'll just have to go out for more size 2s soon My little peanut!

Anywho, enjoy some Easter-y pictures

March 28th, 2013, 04:36 AM
Those pics are too cute!

Sounds like he is growing up so fast! Hard to believe he is thinking about crawling! Wowza! I do hope he pops that tooth soon though!
DaniM0820 likes this.

March 28th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Such a cutie pie!!!

You should use your journal to brag!

I always have to remind myself that Jack will advance in his own time, too. He might excel in some areas and lag in others at different stages of his development. However, the truth is that no matter where our babies are now, they will eventually crawl, walk, grow a full set of teeth, talk, etc. And then they'll be teenagers before we know it.
DaniM0820 and Belita like this.

March 30th, 2013, 05:20 AM
Totally use your journal for bragging!!!

April 15th, 2013, 09:35 AM
7 months, 2 days

I officially have a 7-month old

Sorry I was MIA for 2 weeks... 2 weeks ago (right after Easter) I was home all week with stomach issues. Started feeling better Thursday, but Jordan woke up with a fever and nasty cough, so to the doctor we went. It had gotten up to 101.5, so I was treating with Tylenol and lots of cuddles and boob milk. I had to keep him home from daycare on Friday.

Saturday was awful. Jordan threw up on me twice, and then I caught his bug and also threw up and got a fever. Saturday night I could barely get out of bed, I felt so terrible. And DH tried to help keep Jordan asleep and rock him when he would wake up, but I had to keep getting up to care for Jordan since he wanted to comfort nurse It was the only time I ever had the thought that, "I wish I wasn't a mother today." There were a couple times I had to cut his comforting short just so I could put him down and get to the bathroom quickly. It was such an awful night with an awful illness... He and I didn't feel better until Sunday evening, when DH started with the same symptoms. Fortunately DH didn't have it nearly as bad nor as long as Jordan and I, so all 3 of us were better by Monday. Except for a lingering cough and runny nose for DH and I. It's still around today and so annoying, but Jordan is just fine I am waiting for the day that we are all feeling great and illness free--and I hope it happens soon because we have been having some great weather!!

So last week was a big week for us! Jordan was getting his bath on Wednesday and I casually asked DH, "Any toofs yet?" And he looked and said yes!!!! Jordan's bottom front tooth on his right side broke through! We can feel it with our finger, and it looks like its twin isn't far behind My baby is growing so fast!

Jordan also sat in his stroller for the first time this weekend (the actual stroller, not the carseat placed in the stroller). My mom and I had to go shopping for clothes for him, and he did so well being out all afternoon with us! I had to get him a bunch of 6-9mo and 9 month clothes since he didn't have many summer-y type clothes and last week we had some 80-90 degree days Now we are prepared for the next 2 sizes, minus a few odds-and-ends things in 9-month size. I even bought him his bathing suits and swimming diapers. I really can't wait to dress him in all the cute things we bought. This was the first time I've had to go clothes shopping for him (other than picking up a few outfits here and there) because he had so many things from hand me downs and the baby shower, so I may have gone overboard but he is going to look sooo cute in everything! And lucky for me he has been in each size for a while (we're even still doing size 2 diapers until they are gone, should be soon). For the most part he has been in line with the size-month (ie, he was in 3-month clothes at 3 months old, and in 6-month clothes at 6-7 months...) If he continues with that it will really make shopping for clothes easy

DH and I also made a fun purchase yesterday--we got Jordan a walker We were going to do a jumperoo, but he plays in those at daycare and I know he wants to be mobile He didn't quite "get" it at first and started jumping in the walker but after a bit he was moving himself backwards a little bit. I don't think it will be long before he figures out he can move. He is growing tired of the bouncer and swing and doesn't tolerate them like he used to, so we needed a new "toy" where we can park him and he can happily and safely play by himself--not to say he will be in it unsupervised, but it does help when I have to make dinner and he can be in the kitchen without having to just sit in the high chair

So all in all, we are doing well (now) and Jordan is continuing to grow like a weed! We are going to experiment more with his food. I just bought some kiwis so tonight I'll be cutting them up and de-seeding them, then letting him feed himself some pieces of it Saturday he experimented with a french fry and actually did pretty well! He definitely isn't afraid to try new things, and I hope he keeps that mindset as he gets older!

Happy Monday, everyone!

April 20th, 2013, 10:29 PM
Crystallee's Avatar Host of the Dec 2012 PR
Is he loving his walker yet?

Thanks kiliki for my siggie!
April 21st, 2013, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystallee View Post
Is he loving his walker yet?
He absolutely loves it! On the carpet he mostly tries to bounce in it, but on the kitchen floor he moves backwards like it's his job

April 21st, 2013, 11:30 AM
Glad you're all feeling better. We bought Sean a walker, too, but in our house there is no good space for him to use it so we're making it an outdoor toy. Isn't it so nice when they follow right on with the sizing? Sounds like he's doing a great job with his milestones! He is soooo cute!

April 23rd, 2013, 01:08 PM
Nice update, except for the being sick part. Hope you guys are all feeling 100% now.

April 29th, 2013, 09:50 AM
7 months, 2 weeks, 2 days

I read every day but don't always get a chance to update. We are all doing well (and illness-free! ), and I really hope that lasts! The weather is finally staying consistently nice (60s and 70s) so I look forward to taking Jordan on walks in his stroller and also to the zoo one of these weekends

He seems to be advancing more every day and is such a happy little guy. He is still mostly walking backwards in his walker but he has also learned how to turn. He has moved forward a little bit but I think it was more of an "accident" out of excitement rather than him actually knowing how to do it. But that's ok Along with that, he is also trying to get into everything. Yesterday I had him in the kitchen and he moved his walker over to some pots and tried picking them up. Also, we went to the grocery store and he was sitting in the cart and tried SO hard to reach over and grab things off the shelves. Fortunately I was just far away enough that he couldn't reach lol. They hit that stage waaay too soon!

He's also rolling, scooting, and turning a lot more when on the floor. He definitely is able to get to where he wants. Yesterday we were in the living room and he manuevered himself right over to some of DH's tools that he had on the floor (ones I've told him to put away time and time again ) All of his toys on the floor and he wanted daddy's toys Guess we're a little overdue on baby proofing; we'll have to jump on that this week.

In other Jordan news, he has been mostly refusing his purees. Instead he seems to only want finger foods. It started with cut up banana, and he has gotten so good at picking the pieces up, getting it in his mouth, and chewing it up before swallowing them, but then when DH, daycare, or I try feeding him from a spoon he resists. We will keep trying because I do still have a lot of purees in the freezer, but I'm also letting him feed himself like he wants. So far he has had banana, some kiwi (which he wasn't that great at picking it up himself so he ate pieces off of my finger), strawberries, pasta, and watermelon. I wish he was good at feeding himself with a spoon because he constantly tries and even gets it into his mouth, but hasn't quite grasped the concept of biting down when he Does get it in his mouth. He is getting close though!

Aside from all of that, I had to do something I never wanted to do...Jordan spent 3-4 weeks of waking up every hour, with only a few days of decent sleep mixed in that. He was waking up and nursing every time. I thought it was a growth spurt at first so tiredly went along with it, but there were times he would eat for only a few minutes and go back to sleep. Me working full time and not sleeping for a month straight was not good, and Jordan was constantly waking up cranky and then wanting a nap an hour after being awake.

After the weeks of every-hour-wake ups, he started getting into a rhythm of waking 4 times in the middle of the night and not going back to sleep without eating, sometimes staying awake for an hour or so after eating and I'd have to walk him, rock him, bounce him... He never increased his milk or solids intake during the day, so I thought less and less of it being a growth spurt. Sooo DH and I made the decision to try cry it out. Do I want to listen to my baby cry? No. Do I want him and I to get a good night's sleep, and for him to be able to put himself back to sleep when he wakes up? Of course.

I know it's a very controversial topic but I had to do what's right for us, and really, it hasn't been that bad. And I haven't done the straight "cry until you fall asleep" thing. Instead I go in and comfort for a couple minutes if he isn't calming himself down. It has actually worked pretty well so far. We started on Thursday night it has taken him 40 mins, 35 mins, 30 mins, and 15 mins of fussing/crying before he fell asleep. It started with me going in to calm him 6 times, and last night he only needed me in there once. So, progress. I still go in to feed him when he wakes in the middle of the night because I don't want to deprive him if he really is hungry. The problem is always when he falls asleep at the boob and then wakes up as soon as I put him in the crib. Staying awake for an hour or so to get him back to sleep when I have work the next morning just wasn't good. Now when he wakes like that overnight he cries in the crib for 2 minutes and is asleep. Most of the time though he still falls asleep while eating and stays asleep when I put him back down.

I have definitely noticed a difference in his attitude over the weekend. He woke up so smiley and happy and didn't need a nap right after waking up. Instead we played and ate and just enjoyed spending the morning together He doesn't hate me for making him cry and he is already learning how to fall asleep on his own, and also sleeping for longer stretches at night. And I can finally function again!

It is totally ok if you do not agree with my choice, but again, it's not something I wanted to do to my kids. All I ask is that you please don't hate all over my journal

April 29th, 2013, 07:58 PM
No hate here! Babies are capable of manipulation at this stage and you made sure his needs were being met and that he knew he wasn't alone. I have to do a similar thing to get Sean to sleep except I'm standing there holding a binky in his mouth.

April 30th, 2013, 04:09 AM

He whimpered once when I put him down at 7:15 last night. Woke up at 10 and he went back to sleep 25 mins later after I had to go in and comfort him twice. Then he slept until 5:30 and I pumped 10 oz before work

So, it's definitely working, and I feel so awake today! He is even happy for DH this morning--took 5 oz in a bottle and isn't fussy like normal A few minutes of crying at night is totally worth a super happy baby in the morning!

May 1st, 2013, 03:40 PM
I'm glad CIO is working for you! Jack has never been a good sleeper, and we have tried everything short of CIO. We even tried a little bit of it (just for a few minutes). It's just been easier, up to this point, to let him sleep with me at night. When he wakes and wants to be pacified, I just stick a boob in his mouth (). He typically doesn't even get to the crying stage because it's just easier for me to pacify him immediately. I'm fortunate in that he never just wakes up for a long period of time. It's literally only for a few minutes. If I wasn't working full-time, I know I would spend more time trying to get him to sleep on his own. It's a matter of picking my battles though.

That said, he is now moving around a lot more in his sleep, and that means I'm sleeping even less at night. Whereas he used to roll into me and snuggle, now he's ending up diagonal and sideways and he even put his little head on DH's arm the other night. DH woke up, surprised, and Jack was just staring at him. So, yeah, he needs to be in his crib at night, all night. He is now exclusively napping in his crib, but he just doesn't want to stay asleep longer than 3 hours (that's the longest) at night.

So we are almost where you are, but we're trying one last thing before we toy with the notion of CIO (which I'm not even sure I'll do, but I might) and that is to have DH be the one to tend to him when he wakes at night in his crib, for both a Friday night and a Saturday night. Jack has come to rely so much on me for comfort. Sometimes he is legitimately hungry, but most of the time he only nurses for a couple of minutes before drifting back to sleep.

May 1st, 2013, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by junie22 View Post
So we are almost where you are, but we're trying one last thing before we toy with the notion of CIO (which I'm not even sure I'll do, but I might) and that is to have DH be the one to tend to him when he wakes at night in his crib, for both a Friday night and a Saturday night. Jack has come to rely so much on me for comfort. Sometimes he is legitimately hungry, but most of the time he only nurses for a couple of minutes before drifting back to sleep.

Yes, the waking up and staying up while working full time was the bad part. I did bring Jordan in the bedroom some nights out of convenience but then my alarm would go off and he'd wake up. It was also not good that he'd wake up grumpy and stay that way all morning.

I hope DH tending to him works out, but I know when we tried that Jordan would cry louder and louder until I went in there. He was just like Jackson in that he'd sometimes wake for a need of food but mostly just nurse for a few minutes before drifting back off, or nurse a bit then want to stay awake and not go back to sleep for an hour or more no matter how much I'd try. It made for a grumpy and sleep deprived baby and mommy :-P

So that's definitely where CIO helped us. The first few days were the worst and sometimes he got himself SO worked up, and that's why I chose to go in and comfort him without picking up after however many minutes. He is now just waking up once per night to eat and goes right back to sleep, sometimes fusses a few minutes in the early AM but he has been sleeping in 5-6 hour stretches and it feels wonderful! I was skeptical of it at first and didn't think it would work, but desperate times call for desperate measures lol Everyone in the house is more rested and pleasant I did tell myself early though that if I didn't see progress after a few days or if Jordan seemed unhappy during the day and not himself then we would put a stop to it immediately. It is not for everyone nor does it work for every baby, but as a last resort, it did work for us!

Good luck with whatever you decide! I do hope that either way Jackson sleeps better; you and him both need it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search