Sean's Baby Steps

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree128Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC #1 Grads Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 7th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
8 Days Old

The kitties are unsure what to make of Sean. They come up to us, but run away when they see him. I'm finding it hard to give Chloë the attention she needs because I'm almost always holding Sean. I think they'll be ok although Buddy almost jumped on Sean tonight trying to get in DH's lap!

DH and I have a great relationship, but I feel like Sean's birth has brought us even closer together. DH would always get mad at me if I accidentally woke him up at night even though he's a terribly light sleeper, but he's been very understanding of getting woken up by Sean at night and keeps telling me what a great job I'm doing as a mother. I can tell it relaxes DH to come home from work and cuddle with Sean.

I'm healing well. Still have the raging hormones, though! It took DH 2.5 hours to get home today because trucks were stuck in the snow and I was in tears I was so worried about him! He didn't feel safe calling me and I felt the same so I had no clue if he was ok. I got my staples removed yesterday and have finally had my first BM since Sean's birth. That was scary but I survived! It still hurts a lot to move in certain ways and to laugh or cough. I ordered a postpartum support belt and hope it helps!

Bear had his first pediatrician visit yesterday. She's a bit concerned because he weighs the same as he did Saturday when we were released from the hospital, but I don't think that's quite accurate as to how he's doing because at that point we had to supplement with some formula and we haven't supplemented with formula since Sunday. She said that babies born at 37 weeks often take longer to get back to their birth weight than babies born later so as long as he's not losing she'll be content. We have to go back on Friday to have him weighed. She's a bit concerned with how long it takes him to feed, so I've contacted a lactation consultant to make sure we're feeding as efficiently as possible for his developmental age.

MIL has been a great help. I'm able to spend most of the day gazing at Seanibear and feeding him. I'm still on the same restrictions next week, so that will be interesting to see how it goes since she won't be here.

I've lost 25 lbs so far! I still have a ways to go since I gained so much but I'm not too worried.

Oh, and for situations I never thought I'd find myself in: Sean and I have been going upstairs with DH when he goes to bed since I won't carry Sean up stairs while still on Percocet and it gives us a bit of time just the three of us. I had to go to the bathroom and Sean wouldn't let me put him down and I couldn't wait long enough to put him to sleep so I brought him with me because DH was sleeping and MIL was in his nursery so I couldn't put him in his crib. He decides he's hungry at this point and so I have to start Breastfeeding while going to the bathroom! What an interesting experience!
Mom2JDub and Nicholle ttc like this.

November 8th, 2012, 08:44 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Glad to hear you are healing well and that you are enjoying your time with Sean!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
November 8th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Expecting #1
Awww, glad you are enjoying your time with Sean and that you feel even closer to your DH. I bet those warm feelings from seeing Sean with your DH will last a while

How has your back been since Sean was born? I hope you heal quickly so you wont have any restrictions soon.

November 9th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
I'm sure Sean will start packing on the weight soon, especially with the advice from the lactation consultant. Sounds like you're doing a great job and really enjoying motherhood. I've loved the pics on Facebook.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
November 11th, 2012, 10:36 AM
1 week 5 days old

Sean had his newborn photos taken on Friday. He was such a great model and the photographer was so impressed at how well he did! She said that we got so many more shots than she usually does from a session. I was so proud!

Sean's second pediatrician appointment went well! He gained 6 oz, although I'm not quite sure how much of that is real vs. the supplementation we did to get him sleepy for his newborn photos. We gave him some formula because we were out of expressed milk and I didn't have time to nurse. I'm sure feeding him right before we left for the appt helped show weight gain, too. But, he's been wanting to feed ever 1.5-2 hours this past week so I think he's going through a growth spurt and it was probably partly coincidence in timing.

The lactation consultant is great! She did phone consultations with me. Sean was nursing around 40 minutes per side, so taking about 1.5 hours per feed. The lactation consultant said that an entire session should take 20-45 minutes so he was taking way too long! (I wish they'd mentioned this in the hospital, instead they'd say it was great!) I'm supposed to let him nurse for no more than 15 minutes per side, then pump for 10 minutes to get what he didn't and feed him that in a bottle. She said that he's taking so long to feed that she thinks he's using too many calories and that's preventing him from gaining the weight. I've noticed that my supply in my right breast is going down a bit and it was making me nervous. The lactation consultant is not concerned and thinks it's just due to normal fluctuations, but this morning I was able to get more from the right side than I've been getting so I think Sean is not nursing as well from the right side as he is from the left, and the pumping is helping to build my supply back up on the right. Since I'm pumping so much I got one of those pumping bustiers and I'm so glad I did! It makes it so much easier! I just need to work on taking out the flanges without making a mess.

MIL was a great help, but of course she was force feeding me way too much food! It was nice to have the help, though. I'm on my own this week, which has me a bit nervous, but at least I'm done with the Percocet so I can carry Seanibear up and down stairs. I'm still not allowed to do anything except basic caring for Sean until next weekend, but I'll have to eat lunch and breakfast so I'll have to stretch it a bit. Just listen to my body I guess. I'm going to have to drive and carry Sean in his carrier two days before I'm supposed to since I want to go to the breastfeeding support group to get feedback on our technique on Thursday and then Friday Sean has his 2 week checkup. I'm just going to do nothing else those two days and make sure to wear my support belt since the concern is that I'll pop the stitches in my uterus before it's healed enough. I feel okay pushing it a tiny bit those two days since it's so close to when I'm allowed to drive and carry him anyways.

I ordered a postpartum support belt and I'm so glad I did! It really helps with my incision, so if any of you end up with a c-section order one if your hospital doesn't give you one (My hospital used to but doesn't anymore for reasons I can't remember.)

I also highly recommend the Always Infinity pads. They are super thin like a panty liner but they absorb just as well as the monstrous pads the hospital gives. I've been using the overnight ones and they've been perfect. I was told there is less bleeding after a c-section than a vaginal delivery but the moms in my DDC also recommended these for a vaginal delivery and I've had plenty of room for more absorption when I've changed them.

We're doing a Thanksgiving with DH's family today. Sean will get two uses out of his First Thanksgiving outfit! He's meeting BIL, BIL's girlfriend, and one set of his great-grandparents today. FIL is also here. They promised to do all the cooking and cleaning so we don't have to do anything. I'm glad that they decided to do this.

Today is Sean's first Patriots game day. Go Pats! Sean does this thing where he'll raise one arm and stick out his pointer finger. I'm trying to get a photo of him doing that on his own, but he's always so quick with it I'm not holding my breath. I did take a photo of him decked out in Pats gear and I held up his finger for him. He also has raised both arms as if to say "Touchdown!" today. Another great photo op we probably won't be able to catch. He needs to work on his timing, though. He keeps doing it when it's not an actual touchdown!

November 11th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Glad you got some good tips from the LC. When I met with one on Day 4, the first question she asked was, "How long does he feed." I had the opposite problem from you at first... he wasn't feeding for very long at a time. I had to keep bugging him to get him to eat more. She mentioned the same thing as your LC... no less than 10 minutes at a time but no more than 20 or so (per side) because then he's just burning calories.

Have a good early Thanksgiving! I'm jealous. A big meal like that sounds so good right now.
Belita likes this.

November 11th, 2012, 11:08 AM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yep, your LC is correct. After 30 minutes of eating, baby starts to burn off the calories he/she is consuming so even if he's still actively nursing, cut him off. It does sound like you have a great LC for sure! And for what it's worth, I carried Joseph in his carrier before I was allowed to because I had to.

Two things to make it easier...one, pack two diaper bags. One to carry in with you with the bare basics, the second leave in the car with the extra diapers, etc. Also, when loading and unloading, do it in stages. Load bags then baby and vice versa for unloading so you don't overdo it.
Belita likes this.

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
November 11th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the tips! I was thinking of carrying Sean and the carrier separately between the house and car so I only have to worry about going between the office and car with him in the carrier.

Glad my LC is consistent with both of yours!

November 12th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Expecting #1
Sounds like you are getting some great tips from your LC and things are going well with BFing. Hopefully you can get some of the cute pics you mentioned. Your Thanksiving plans sound great!! Family is cooking an amazing meal and cleaning and you can relax and snuggle with Sean... sounds blissful!

November 12th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Wow, he's growing up already! So glad things are going well, and that you are getting some great lactation tips. Love some of the ideas you have for pictures, but I can only imagine how hit or miss they will be with a newborn! Have fun trying though!
Belita likes this.

November 12th, 2012, 12:02 PM
13 days old

I'm already upset at how quickly he's growing and he is only about 2 weeks old! I'm sure I'll love seeing him grow up and get to know his personality and see what his interests are, but he is so different already. I can't believe we are still not even at my EDD! He could still be inside me if I hadn't had the pre-eclampsia! I'll have to do a special picture on Sunday for his EDD.

Oh, and for those of you who I don't have on FB, but comment regularly, the photo in the birth story is the only photo of Sean I plan to post on here. I'm just trying to protect our privacy so if you're someone I know well enough and you want to see pictures, PM me for FB friend request.

Today has gone pretty well so far. It was difficult doing breakfast since both Sean and I needed to eat at the same time. I'm having DH pick up some Toaster Strudels on his way home because I'm usually a cereal eater and I think my cereal eating is going to have to be on the weekends when DH is here for a while. I need something that I can eat while nursing Sean.

We did some baby exercises this morning. I have this book called Baby Steps that my SSIL is lending us. I can't do all of the exercises with him yet because of my incision but we did a couple of exercises I can do. We also did about 2 minutes of tummy time with him laying on my chest. He can hold his head up for about 3-4 seconds if we're sitting up but it's a lot harder when we're laying down so he only was able to hold his head up for a second. He did a great job with his exercises and I am so proud of him!

I think sometimes "sleep when the baby sleeps" needs to be "eat when the baby sleeps." Sean is sleeping right now and I'm tired enough to nap, but I chose to eat and get caught up online instead. I've been horrible about updating my family blog so I wanted to get a post up today! I'll have to wake him up in a few minutes to nurse and when he sleeps later I'll probably try to nap. I think he's done with his grown spurt. Yesterday and today he hasn't wanted to eat nearly as much as he did before. One of the questions I want to find out the answer to at my breastfeeding support group on Thursday is what to do when he finishes these growth spurts after this first month of making sure to feed every three hours to build supply is over since I get uncomfortable at about 2.5-3 hours. Do I just take it as an opportunity to pump and store if he doesn't want to eat? Also, if I'm pumping off the extra, do I store that if he's not hungry enough to eat it? It's not a balanced meal if it doesn't have the foremilk so I don't really like the idea of storing it. I also want to find out from the LC on Thursday how to get him to feed better from my right side. I'm not sure if there is a difference in my letdown or what, but I can see a visual difference in his suckling between the two sides. I'm so glad we have resources around like these support groups and LCs. As difficult as breastfeeding is, it's important to me to do this for him for his first year and I don't know what I'd do without these resources!

As hard as this morning was with no help, it's nice to have some time to ourselves to finally start bonding as our family of three and working on settling into a routine. We have not had a single day to ourselves in two weeks and DH and I are not the most outgoing of people and need our time to ourselves! The one day we haven't had visitors was in the hospital and we had nurses and the lactation consultant around. I also can't wait until I can start cloth diapering him! Since we'll only have three days between when I'm allowed to do laundry and when we're going to my parents' for Thanksgiving, I think I'll wait to start CDing until after we come back.

Now I'm off to snuggle with my baby boy.

November 12th, 2012, 02:02 PM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know just how you feel about him growing up too fast. I just had a breakdown night before last about this. I hope you can take comfort in the fact that while it does suck, it also just keeps getting better and better!

I also don't blame you on the picture thing. I post pictures on FB like crazy...but not here! Karin can probably vouch for my picture posting craziness on FB.

So here's my thinking about BF'ing. Regardless of what you do, your supply with generally regulate itself to meet your needs. So if you want to build a stash, then keep up with pumping with every feed. If you aren't worried about a stash or don't want to pump, then pump just enough, only when you have to, to keep from getting engorged. This will start to decrease your supply. The longer that your milk sits in your breasts, the more a hormone builds up. Eventually if your breasts aren't emptied, the hormone tells your body that you don't need as much milk and your supply decreases. (This is why supply and demand are so important when starting out.)

As far as the milk you pump, there are awesome guidelines on Kellymom as well as the Medela and Ameda sites for storage. As far as the hindmilk/foremilk balance, it will work itself out. There will be times that he doesn't take your breast long so he'll have gotten mainly foremilk but then you give him a bottle later on of milk that was pumped at the end of a nursing session and he's getting mainly hindmilk. It's only when it's an ongoing thing of baby getting only one or the other that a problem comes up. And don't worry, if there is an issue with an imbalance, you'll see weird changes in his poop and can make adjustments from there.

P.S. if you like them, granola bars makes great snacks/breakfast when nursing and it helps keep things moving well while you are healing.

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
November 12th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSouthMommy View Post
Karin can probably vouch for my picture posting craziness on FB.
Yep, I can...but I love every, single one!!!

November 12th, 2012, 06:40 PM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
2 weeks! I feel like you just posted a nb pic on FB and announced the birth! I'm glad everything is going well and that you seem to be healing quickly. For what a lot of ladies say, it takes a good 6 weeks to get bfing down so hang in there.

Forever missing my angel 2010

November 13th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Don't know how you're doing on sleeping bags, but a+a cozy bags are on BabySteals this morning!

BabySteals.com® | Daily Deals at 9am & 9pm MT for Mom and Baby

November 13th, 2012, 11:44 AM
I'm so with you, Robyn! In theory, the sleep when baby sleeps think is a good idea, but I seriously never would have been able to eat if I did that. And then just simple things like brushing your teeth or using the bathroom. Hopefully, Sean will always take naps well and not wake up easily. I do hope you're able to get some naps when he does though.

November 13th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Thanks, Karin. I'd love to get some but we need to focus on Christmas right now.

2 weeks old

Posting from my phone with my sweet baby boy in my arms.

Sean is sleeping great stretches at night. One 4 hour stretch and one 5 hour stretch and that's with me waking him up to feed. I hope he sleeps this well in a few weeks when I can just let him sleep! I'm trying not to obsess about my supply since both my pedi and the LC said it was ok and I seem to be producing ample milk for now but I'm finding worrying about Sean is just reality now.

Sean giggled in his sleep this morning! I was on the phone with my mom so she got to hear his first giggle too. The timing was funny since my mom had just told me a funny story about my dad that I laughed and then heard him! It was so cute!

I cannot wait until I can get things done around the house. I'm enjoying snuggling my baby boy, buyer he sleeps so much right now that I could use some of the time to clean up a bit. Only a few more days, though!

I think I'll take Sean to see Santa on Friday either before or after his pedi appt. I think with his age and lack of immunizations it'll be best to get it done before the big rush after Thanksgiving. I'm going to dress him in his reindeer outfit for the photo! He'll be so cute!

November 13th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belita View Post
Thanks, Karin. I'd love to get some but we need to focus on Christmas right now.
Totally get that, just thought I would share!

Have fun with Santa!!

November 13th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Can't wait to see the Santa pic on Facebook.

Jackson giggled in his sleep long before he did in waking hours. It's so strange that he clearly knows how to giggle but doesn't do it when he's awake. It's so cute to see when they're sleeping.

November 13th, 2012, 06:59 PM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
How cute...Sean giggling in his sleep

Have fun taking Sean to see Santa!

Forever missing my angel 2010

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search