Sean's Baby Steps

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree128Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC #1 Grads Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 14th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Expecting #1
Glad Sean is such a good sleeper! Awww, giggling in his sleep! I bet your heart just melted at that sound Enjoy your trip with Santa!
Belita likes this.

November 15th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That was the cutest thing to hear him giggle in his sleep! He's started to pout in his sleep too!

2 weeks 2 days old

I've been reading but not posting because Forum Runner is acting up on me. It's logged me out and not recognizing my password for some reason so I can read but not post. Most of my posting is from my phone lately since I seem to actually get on the computer about once a week right now so I'm taking advantage of DH doing his evening cuddles with Sean to post.

We're starting to get into a bit of a routine, as much as a 2 week old will let a routine happen anyways. He has a couple of hours of awake time in the morning so we do his baby exercises and tummy time and then he pretty much sleeps the rest of the day. He's started to cry to be held sometimes so I'm often holding him the entire time he's sleeping. I don't mind snuggling with my baby, though.

We went to the breastfeeding support group today. It was just me and one other mom there. The LC didn't show up until 1/2 hour after it was supposed to start, which was annoying, but it was very helpful once she got there. The other mom and I were getting close to leaving, but we didn't want to miss out on the help for our babies since their eating is important. The other mom's baby is having issues with feeding due to tongue-tie poor thing.

Anyways, the LC weighed the babies before feeding and after feeding because that's the only way to know exactly how much they are taking in. They did his weight in kg so I'm not sure how that translates into lbs and how much Sean has gained this week, but he has his 2 week checkup tomorrow so I'm sure we'll find out that tomorrow. Back to the the point, though...we weighed the babies and then we fed our babies while the LC gave us tips. I told her about how my right side is producing less than it was a week ago and she told me to try imitating cluster-feeding by pumping for 10 minutes every hour to build back up the supply. She also gave me a website to visit for tips (lowmilksupply.org). She noticed what I did about Sean feeding better on the left side and gave me some tips on how to wake him up enough to feed better. Apparently at this point when he's sucking he should do it in clusters of 10-30 sucks then a short break, then 10-30 more until he's done feeding. We had Sean feed for the 15 minutes per side that I'm doing before pumping (since we know exactly how much he's getting from the bottle) and then weighed him again. He was 1 cc short of what he was supposed to get from a feeding. He's supposed to get 60 ccs at this point and he ate 59. That's a teeny tiny bit shy of 2oz so not bad! I didn't pump afterwards so I'm not sure how much was left, but that's good that he's improving and can get as much as he needs from me in one session. This tells me that even though my supply is smaller in my right side than it was I don't truly have a low supply, I just should follow the low supply tips since we're playing a bit of catch-up with his slow eating. I'm so proud of Sean for the progress he's made!

I mentioned how pumping hurts but nursing doesn't really since Sean has a good latch. She thinks that I may need a larger flange. My monster growth put me so big in the boobs that I'm trying the XL size flanges! Hopefully it helps because she said pumping isn't supposed to hurt and I know many women use pumping if nursing is making them too sore so I knew something wasn't right. I am actually taking a break from pumping today to help my nipples heal a bit. I'm also supposed to put a little bit of olive oil inside the flange before pumping to help my nipples glide. I hope it helps! It's bad enough to feel like a cow getting milked without adding the pain. At least I'm starting to build up a stash of frozen milk since Sean doesn't always take the bottle after I pump the past few days. I've been able to freeze between 2-6 oz per day the past 3 days.

I'm going back to the support group on Tuesday. I'm supposed to bring my pump with me so we can make sure I have the proper fit flanges. We're also going to see how much improvement he makes between now and then. It'll be nice to get out of the house again and talk with other people!

We went to Target after the support group. I probably shouldn't have done that much because my incision is a little more sore than usual, but I really prefer the Lanisoh lanolin to the Medela stuff I have so I wanted to get a tube of Lanisoh and needed a couple of other little things. I made it and am now resting at home. Thank goodness for the travel system stroller! Between the walking needed to go to the support group and then Target I would be in a lot of hurt if I had to carry the carrier that long.

Sean has begun to spit up more. Not surprising since babies do often spit up but this morning he had such a huge spit-up that we moved from my bedroom into the nursery for some extra rest because my bed was soaked! We had fluid difficulties because on one of his diaper changes last night he peed and got the duvet cover. At least he didn't get his own face like he did when DH changed him the other night!

I'm trying to catch up on journal postings now. I am sorry if I miss anyone! I hope Forum Runner gets fixed soon!
swtneka likes this.

November 15th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
So glad it was a good group meeting. Hope the larger flanges make pumping more comfortable. I actually needed smaller flanges because I have small nipples. They did make a difference in comfort, so I hope yours do too. No matter what, though, pumping just doesn't feel as good as breastfeeding. It's not natural, and the suction is so much stronger than with a baby. It's just different. I'd stopped needing lanolin a while back, but I started using it after I pump at work. I will definitely try that olive oil trick your LC mentioned.

I have no idea if this could be the issue, but since I cut out dairy, Jackson hardly spits up anymore. Maybe just pay attention to what you're eating and when he spits up the most and see if you can associate it with your diet. Of course, some babies just spit up a lot.

Poor Bert, letting Sean pee on his face. I must confess, the same has happened in our house.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
November 16th, 2012, 07:09 AM
I hope that the olive oil trick works for you! I'm thinking I'm going to take a break from pumping again today since we have Sean's ped appt and then are going to see Santa so will try them tomorrow.

Oh, and Sean didn't get Bert in the face. Sean peed on Sean's face!

November 16th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Expecting #1
Wow, it sounds like the BF support group was a great meeting!! Sounds like you got a lot of great information and tips. Plus you got reassurance that you are providing everything Sean needs Hopefully you can figure out something to make pumping more comfortable, I am sure your DH loves his time with Sean when he is feeing him from a bottle

November 16th, 2012, 08:45 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
What a great group! I didn't know they even had groups like that...I think it's a wonderful idea and I'm glad you are able to go.

FYI - Forum Runner is all a mess. I know some of the admins/mods have contacted them to see what's up...but it's not just you!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
November 16th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belita View Post
Oh, and Sean didn't get Bert in the face. Sean peed on Sean's face!
I'm guilty of letting Jackson pee on his own face too. I felt horrible, but he didn't seem to mind.

November 16th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Pee pee teepees

November 16th, 2012, 10:27 AM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At least pee is sterile!
Mom2JDub and Belita like this.

November 16th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbpeanut View Post
Pee pee teepees
We were given peepee teepees as a gift, and they do not work. Jackson's pee has actually shot them straight up in the air. I've found a wash cloth thrown over it works a lot better.

Also, thankfully, now that he's a little older, he doesn't pee outside of the diaper nearly as much. He loves letting it flow in the bathtub though.
Belita likes this.

November 16th, 2012, 01:35 PM
2 weeks 3 days

I overdid it today. Good thing we have no plans tomorrow and DH will be home so I'll have help! I'm not in much pain, but I'm achy and my incision hurts more than yesterday.

We had a nice day. We had a lazy morning and then we got ready to go out for the day. I dressed Sean in his reindeer outfit that I planned for him to wear for Christmas, but bought a NB size and he'll outgrow it before then. At least he's getting some use out if it! We then went to see Santa! I'm glad I took him when I did. There was no line so I didn't have to wait in a long line with an unvaccinated newborn. They were so excited to have such a little baby. The don't get many 2 week olds! His reindeer outfit was also a hit! I sent the photo to the grandparents and FIL asked if Sean really had his photo with Santa or if it was Photoshopped. Why the heck would I Photoshop a photo of Sean with Santa? As I've said before, my in-laws are nice enough but they really have some screws loose.

We then went to Hallmark to get a frame for his Santa photo and I got a new baby ornament. Our next door neighbors got a baby's first Christmas ornament so I didn't need one of those, but I still wanted to buy my own ornament to commemorate his first Christmas.

I changed him out of his reindeer outfit before going to the doctor's office because I hate doing Christmassy things before Thanksgiving. Sean is officially gaining weight on track now. He's now surpassed his birth weight and weighs 8lbs 5oz and gained 1/2 inch so now he's 21". The doctor is no longer worried about his weight gain and she thinks that it won't be too much longer before we can stop the whole pumping after a feeding thing. He's in the 50th percentile for weight and is between the 50th and 75th percentile for length. His head circumference is closer to the 90th percentile so he has a big noggin! Maybe that means he'll be really smart.

I asked the doctor about the spitup and she isn't worried about it. She said it could just be that his system is getting used to being more efficient with the feeding. He's only had one big spitup and the rest have been small amounts so it sounds like it's within the normal ranges, and certainly seems normal based on what I remember from my day care days.

Sean is in his first fluff! He's wearing a Rumparooz Lil Joey Ladder diaper. His butt looks so cute!

November 16th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Expecting #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by junie22 View Post
Jackson's pee has actually shot them straight up in the air.
That is hilarious!!!

November 16th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Expecting #1
Love the ornament!! Very cute.

You mentioned that Sean's reindeer outfit was NB and he is just over 8 lbs. Does he still fit in the NB size? The reason I ask, is its looking like my LO is on target to be between 8-9 lbs if she is full-term and we are thinking about returning almost all her NB sizes, which say they fit up to 8lbs. We have a good 15 or so outfits plus onesies, but were thinking of keeping it closer to 5 or so. How are Sean's clothes fitting these days?

November 16th, 2012, 02:01 PM
He still has some room to grow in his NB clothes and his 0-3 month size clothes swim on him. I'm hoping to get another week or two in the NB size. 15 would probably be a bit much. I have 11 NB outfits and could get by with less. He only started having days of needing more than one outfit this past week. Before that he wasn't spitting up much and we were fortunate not to have any pee or poo accidents so he was in one outfit each day.

November 16th, 2012, 02:13 PM
I love getting a new ornament each year. Each Christmas season, we go to Hallmark and pick out one for our tree that year. Last year it was a Muppets one where Beaker sang

Quote:
Originally Posted by junie22 View Post
We were given peepee teepees as a gift, and they do not work. Jackson's pee has actually shot them straight up in the air. I've found a wash cloth thrown over it works a lot better.
I know, I was teasing...I have heard from EVERYONE that they are a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belita View Post
Sean is in his first fluff! He's wearing a Rumparooz Lil Joey Ladder diaper. His butt looks so cute!
Um fluff picture???!!!
Mom2JDub likes this.

November 16th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Since you can't really see his face anyways...

He passed out like this after feeding!

Julie, you can see how there is some roominess to the NB onesie in this photo, even when it's snapped down over the bulky fluff there is still some room to grow.
Mom2JDub likes this.

November 16th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so cute!

(sorry, just remembered about your picture thing - feel free to take down, I just wanted to see a fluffy bum!)
Belita likes this.

November 16th, 2012, 02:23 PM
It's okay. You can't really see his face so I'm okay with this. I wouldn't post it if I wasn't okay with it. I'd have no problem saying too bad, so sad.

Oh, and I love to get Hallmark ornaments every year, too. I buy one that I love before Christmas then hit up Hallmark after Christmas to stock up on what I like that's left with the big sale!

November 18th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Expecting #1
Thanks for the info on NB size. I knew we had too many but at least I will feel better about having a few on hand

Love the fluff pic! No more daydreaming about what you will do with Sean or take him somewhere when he wears certain ones, you can actually do it now that he is here!
Belita likes this.

November 19th, 2012, 10:05 AM
2 weeks 6 days old

Well, I thought our latch was good with side-lying position, but I discovered a cracked nipple. It's pretty sore. I did some reading and am trying the tips to help it heal. It's just one side so hopefully discovering it while it's still a pretty small crack will help it heal quickly and prevent it from getting bad. Good thing I have the breastfeeding support group tomorrow. I'm going to have her check our latch. I'm also going to bring my pump and different sized flanges so we can check the fit. Looking at the pictures for the fit guide for the flanges I think I may need to go smaller? I have no clue, really, just going off of what the LC in the hospital told me to think of for sizing. I'm also just guessing that it's the latch with side-lying position that caused the problem. I know the cracks happen due to poor latch and sometimes it hurt a bit on my left side when doing side-lying so putting 2 and 2 together that's what makes the most sense. Either that or it's from improper fit with the flanges on the pump...

We've been doing pretty well with the cloth diapering so far. I think NB fluff doesn't have enough absorbency for us to use it at night. He wets through into his clothes if we let him sleep through longer than 3 hours with the same diaper on. I think we'll have to use sposies at night until he fits into the OS diapers. There is just no room in the NB cloth to add extra absorbency and I'm not going to order wool pants and stuff like that for just the NB stage. Some of our OS snap down smaller than the others so hopefully it won't be too long before we can use them at night.

We used Sean's baby gym for the first time today! He loved the mirror! He kept accidentally batting the toys, but seemed interested in the rattling sounds.

I can't believe yesterday was his due date and he's been here almost three weeks!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search