Sean's Baby Steps

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree128Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC #1 Grads Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 19th, 2012, 10:15 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I am so glad you have that support group! I think it sounds just wonderful. Hopefully they can help you with some tips and advice, and that your cracked nipple heals soon.

Happy (one day late) due date, Sean!! x
Belita likes this.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
November 19th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Hope your nip heals quickly. I think that even with the best latch, soreness and cracks are just inevitable. I was talking to Jackson's doctor about BF. She gave up on it with both of her children because it hurt so bad, and she said it was a big regret of hers. She even saw an LC, but both of her kids had tongue ties and just couldn't get the hang of it. She said that the one thing people don't tell you is that BF can hurt for months, even with a good latch. I'm thankful that I don't hurt anymore, even though I do still have some soreness when he gets into cluster feeding mode.

I'm thinking, also, that you need to post another fluffy butt pic on Facebook.

November 19th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The LCs keep telling me it shouldn't hurt if the latch is right. Sore? Yes. Hurt? No. That's what makes me think something is going on with our side-lying latch. Who knows, it could be the latch is just fine, but it doesn't hurt to ask and get it double checked since I have the resources.

I feel like I've been spamming FB with Sean pics the past few days. I do have some that I need to put on the computer and upload. I'll try to get that done sometime this week! Now I need to finish goofing around during Sean's nap and see if I can get some lunch in me and do some cleaning before he wakes up again!

I pumped for the first time today since last week and the larger flange was so much more comfortable! I also pumped at a lower setting because the pump manual says to pump at the highest setting that's comfortable, but the LC said to try different settings and see what provided the most milk. I was able to pump 4.5oz and that was only an hour after Sean finished nursing!

November 19th, 2012, 10:52 AM
My peri said that no matter what anyone says, BF is hard work. Sometimes it hurts, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. She has 3 boys, and BF all of them, and said it sucked, but she stuck with it because she knew it was best. But all she could say is "do your best".

Which you are

Ditto Adrienne on more FB fluff! x
Nicholle ttc likes this.

November 19th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Nicholle ttc's Avatar TTC our first!
Can't have too many pics of cute Seany! Good luck with the BFing!
Belita likes this.

Natural cycles-August 2011-July 2012
August 2012-October 2012 clomid and progesterone
November 2012-IUI
December 2012, cysts from IUI, on bcp

January 2013-February 2013, long protocol IVF
15 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized with ICSI
All 7 made it to 5 day transfer, 2 were transferred
Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

May 10, 2013, lap sx, Stage 1 endo

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

FET tentatively scheduled for 10/31/13

Have never seen a bfp.

November 19th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Yeah, I guess I hadn't really thought about the difference between "sore" and "hurt," especially since everyone's pain threshold is different. If you have a crack, though, you're probably right about the side lying. I tried to nurse Jackson that way early on, and it just didn't work very well for us. As he got bigger, though, it became easier. I've also heard that the latch can look good from the outside but be "off" inside his mouth. I bet you're right, though, that the side-lying position just wasn't working.

Or, could it be that the pumping caused the crack? One of the girls in my DDC got massive cracks because she put the suction too high. If I put my pump's suction on full blast, I think it would take my nipples off. I've experimented with different settings, too, and I've found that a medium setting for suction works best for me, in terms of production and comfort.

So happy your flanges are making things feel better.

November 19th, 2012, 12:20 PM
You know, the thought about it being the pumping that caused the crack crossed my mind, too. I noticed the crack yesterday but certainly have been feeling pain since last week and that's why I stopped pumping last Wednesday. I'd been using the medium setting but I think the low setting works great for me. I'm not sure if I increased my supply or if it is the lower setting working better but I'd been getting 3oz if it'd been a full 3 hours since a feed last week and today was able to get 4.5 1 hour later. Last week it would have been 1.5-2 oz at the same point in time.

My trying the side-lying coincided with me doing the pumping a lot, so maybe it was a coincidence or combination of the two? Either way it doesn't matter as long as we get it figured out and I can heal! The LC wants me to bring my pump with me tomorrow so I'll get advice on fit and suction.

Sean has also gotten better with the different positions as time goes on. I think I'll stick with the football hold on the left side until I'm healed, though. With the position of my crack I think that's the best for letting it heal.

Karin, nursing has been very rewarding in that I feel great being able to provide for Sean but it's also so hard! Not just the pain, but the physical demands and then worrying about supply. I have to say it is hilarious to put him on my chest and just watch him because he wiggles around to try to nurse and when he makes it so he's above my nipple he just DIVES right on it! We learned about this instinct in my childbirth class and it's amazing to see it in person! He really gets so excited when he realizes we're about to nurse.
swtneka, kbpeanut and Mom2JDub like this.

November 20th, 2012, 06:22 AM
Expecting #1
Everything I have read and heard about in classes, says nursing is natural, but its also really tough. Glad you have the support group. It sounds like it will help when something comes up as the days/weeks pass by. I will have to look into a support group, it sounds like its worth the time and travel!!

Hopefully the LC will be able to help figure out what caused the cracked nipple and provide some suggestions.

November 20th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Julie, I highly recommend looking into one. I'm getting all this support and haven't had to pay one red cent and I didn't even deliver at this hospital. My hospital doesn't offer outpatient LC services so I'm going through a different hospital. With visitors and everything there really isn't a whole lot of time to work on nursing in the hospital, especially since most people are out of the hospital before their milk even comes in. I had a c-section so had a longer stay and my milk came in the day we left.

3 weeks

I know I keep saying I can't believe how old Sean is getting, but I can't believe he's three weeks old! I also can't believe how much time I've spent online the past few days. For not getting on the computer more than once a week I've really turned that around due to the Forum Runner issues. Sean still sleeps a lot in the afternoons so it's not taking time away from him at least.

Once again breastfeeding support group was a great help! Sean is now up to 8lbs 9oz for total weight. We also weighed him before and after eating. Last Thursday he got a total of 59cc from both breasts. Today he got 60cc from my right side and 55cc from my left (almost 4oz total)! That's almost double what he took only 5 days ago!!! He's come such a long way with their advice and I'm so proud of him!

She checked my latch on side-lying position (I laid down my cardigan on the floor for us to lay on) and, as I thought, we did have a bit of a problem with the latch so hopefully we'll get that straightened out now. She also taught me another trick for correcting improper latch without taking him off completely.

I also brought my pump and she checked my flange sizes. Apparently either the 27mm or 30mm works for my fit but I should just use whichever feels more comfortable and gives me more milk. She said it's not all about which fits best over your nipple it's also about how much breast tissue ends up inside the flange as you're pumping because some women's milk ducts are further back than others.

Tonight and tomorrow I need to work on packing for Thanksgiving and I need to make an apple pie. DH is working from home tomorrow so that should help. We're having a hard time working out when to visit his family because of the meal times and my sister and her husband already working out times with my parents and us being behind the 8 ball on it. Hopefully it'll all fall into place.

I was thinking, oooh, I'm going to try to make it to chat tomorrow! But then I realized that we'll be down at my parents for the holiday and I won't be able to make it after all. Maybe next week! I miss chat nights.

November 20th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Glad BF is getting better...I am most certainly going to look into what sort of support groups are available when it's time. Yours sounds like it's making all the difference!

I haven't been able to make chat for a while now either. And probably won't again tomorrow, because I'll probably be making a pie for Thursday. Maybe next week!

November 20th, 2012, 05:30 PM
It really is making a world of difference. I don't know where we'd be without them. Certainly not doing as well as we are.

Forum Runner is working again!!!

November 20th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Oh it is???? YAY! Need to check that! I've hated not having it!

November 21st, 2012, 08:58 AM
Expecting #1
My hospital offers a free BF support group! WhooHoo! I am planning on going after baby is born!

Glad the BFing is going well for you and Sean. Sounds like you got more great tips. It does seem crazy that Sean is already 3 weeks old. It seems like you were pregnant yesterday and waiting on your baby boy's arrival... Time flies when you are having fun though!

November 21st, 2012, 09:42 AM
So glad Sean is doing better and better.

Happy pie making and happy Thanksgiving!

November 21st, 2012, 01:35 PM
3 weeks 1 day

We're in the car on the way to my parents' and I need a nap!

Sean wouldn't settle last night until after 11 so I couldn't get any packing done. Thankfully he only woke up once around 3 and then slept until 8. I then had to bake a pie, which I do every year but messed up today. I put in too much flour and too little sugar. I realized it after I put on the top crust so had to try to peel the crust back and add more sugar in hopes it'll taste ok. Much of the flour didn't make it into the filling and stayed in the bowl, so I do have good hope it'll be ok. I then had to pack and bathe both of us. Thankfully Sean is much more efficient with his feelings because I was going nonstop from when we woke up until now and there is no way I could have finished all this with his 1.5 hour feedings.

I think I'm going to have to pack up his newborn clothes. The arms are a little short on him. I have some sleepers he could use a bit longer but he has so many 0-3 month clothes to wear and we've gotten more use out of them than I thought we would for him being born so big.

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving! I am so thankful for my little family. Especially my amazing baby boy.
Mom2JDub likes this.

November 21st, 2012, 02:36 PM
You have a wonderful Thanksgiving....you and your little family!!

November 23rd, 2012, 12:07 PM
3 weeks 3 days old

We had a great Thanksgiving! Sean was so cute in his first Thanksgiving outfit, especially with his hat with the turkey feathers on it! Sean was a bit overstimulated at the end of the day from "pass the baby" but not too bad.

Today we visited with DH's family so Sean could meet his other great-grandmother. We found out that BIL proposed to his girlfriend! Sean is going to have a new auntie! We had a feeling it'd happen soon since BIL wanted to buy a house first and they bought the house in May.

We're on our way home now. Today we'll rest up and then decorate for Christmas this weekend. I love this time of year and can't wait to share it with Sean!
kbpeanut likes this.

November 24th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Glad your Thanksgiving went well. I must say that Sean was definitely cute. Congrats to your brother. And have fun decorating this weekend. I'm jumping back into it now, trying to finish it all up today.

November 24th, 2012, 06:55 PM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry I've been MIA but my Gram died and we were out of town and then while there we all caught the ick. It sounds like things are going really well and WOW! It sounds like you have a rock star of a LC! That's awesome!

Anyway, just wanted to pop in and say hi and see how things were going!

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
November 25th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I just wanted to say congratulations again. What a beautiful baby boy you have. He'll have quite the story to tell.
And even though all didn't go as you'd envisioned, I'm glad everything worked out well and for the best.

my little love bug Savina Celestiale arrived 10/16/12 measuring 6lb 5oz, 20 inches

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search