Sean's Baby Steps

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree128Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC #1 Grads Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 26th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Expecting #1
Glad you had a great Thanksgiving! Have fun decorating for Christmas! Did you get any Christmas fluff for Sean?
Belita likes this.

November 26th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Michelle, I'm so sorry to hear about your gram.

Julie, I did buy some fluff for Sean for Christmas! It's not Christmassy, but it'll go under the tree for him. There was finally a sale on Rumparooz so I bought a couple of their OS dipes.

3 weeks 6 days old

Speaking of fluff, now that I've had a chance to use my NB fluff, I'm developing favorites. So far I like my Swaddlebees Simplex and Grovia diapers the best. They seem to hold in his wetness the best. The other diapers work well, just not quite as well as the Swaddlebees and Grovia. I can't use any of these at night, though. NB fluff just doesn't have enough absorbancy because they are so small. My cousin sent some wool covers so I'm going to try those during the day to see if I can maybe use them at night. I only need them to last an hour or two more at night since Sean wakes every 4ish hours and I can get 3 hours out of the Swaddlebees and Grovia.

Poor Sean has his first cold. We've been suctioning, steaming, and elevating him and he seems to be getting better. He's been very fussy, spitting up a lot, and just not himself. He wants lots of Mommy cuddles and I'm more than happy to oblige. My poor little guy! I had him sleep in his bouncy seat last night to keep him elevated and I think it helped him sleep because he seems to spit up every time he's laid on his back right now.

I was disappointed by the online deals this year! DH and I are getting a camcorder for each other for Christmas this year and I found a good enough deal, but I've gotten great online deals on Christmas presents in years past and there just wasn't anything that we needed or waned for a great deal. I ended up getting this camcorder: Canon Vixia HF R300 Review & Rating | PCMag.com

Here's hoping Sean sleeps better tonight than last night!

November 26th, 2012, 08:57 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Awww poor Sean. Sorry he's feeling yucky! Do you have a good humidifier you'd recommend? We need to get Scooter a new one, as the one we have is old, yet functional, but is a warm mist one, and I've gotten the distinct impression that I need to have a cool mist one. Looking for any recos, if you have one you like?

Glad you are finding some favorite fluffs! We're still not sure what we're doing, but I'm fairly certain we'll wait until Scooter is at least out of the NB sizes...mostly for the same reasons you are mentioning...I've heard a lot that the NB fluff just doesn't hold the absorbency you need...no matter what brand you use.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
November 27th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Hope it was a better night for you and Sean. It's just not right to have a sick baby.

Karin - I don't have anything to compare it to, but we've been using one of the Crane drop humidifiers. Not only does it help with the breathing stuff, but it's made a big difference in his dry skin too. So I would recommend it, but there might be a better one out there. The thing that is kind of nice about the Crane humidifiers is that they come in different colors and even animal shapes so you can somewhat match the nursery decor. We bought the orange one to go with Jackson's room's color scheme. And they are cool mist.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
November 27th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Yep, that's one of the ones we're looking at - of course I was drawn to the elephant one, and the great colors (and sleek style), and they don't get bad reviews...and the price is right. I think that might be the one to go with. Thanks for the input!

November 27th, 2012, 09:59 AM
We've had a cheapy one that I got at CVS that's been in our room for a year or so now that we've been using. I like that it's filterless. I always forgot to change the filter in my Vicks one I used to have. They seem to work about the same, too. I was thinking of getting one of those ones Adrienne mentioned for Sean's room later on. I think they have a bear one that's not quite the right colors, but good enough.

He's doing better but still stuffy and spitting up a lot. At least he slept much better last night and is more on his typical schedule today.

Oh, and after years of never getting peed on by babies in day care and babysitting, it takes 4 weeks of mommyhood and I get peed on twice in one day! I think sleep deprivation is catching up with me!
blueeyes25s and Mom2JDub like this.

November 27th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Expecting #1
Sorry little Sean is feeling icky. Hopefully it will pass quickly. Nice camcorder! We were thinking of getting one, but I think we may just see how our phones/IPad do to take videos before ordering one.

November 27th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belita View Post
Oh, and after years of never getting peed on by babies in day care and babysitting, it takes 4 weeks of mommyhood and I get peed on twice in one day! I think sleep deprivation is catching up with me!
It happens to the best of us.

November 27th, 2012, 03:22 PM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just in case y'all don't know, vaporizers (aka warm mist) are the healthier choice. Cool mist humidifiers can develop bacteria very easily and they also grow mold and mildew easily as well. The heat of a warm mist kills any potential bacteria and reduces the chances of anything else growing in there.

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
November 27th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSouthMommy View Post
Just in case y'all don't know, vaporizers (aka warm mist) are the healthier choice. Cool mist humidifiers can develop bacteria very easily and they also grow mold and mildew easily as well. The heat of a warm mist kills any potential bacteria and reduces the chances of anything else growing in there.
That's a great point, but I've heard that the warm mist can be a burn hazard. I just clean our cool mist humidifier once per week.

November 27th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Nicholle ttc's Avatar TTC our first!
Hope little Seany feels better soon!

Natural cycles-August 2011-July 2012
August 2012-October 2012 clomid and progesterone
November 2012-IUI
December 2012, cysts from IUI, on bcp

January 2013-February 2013, long protocol IVF
15 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized with ICSI
All 7 made it to 5 day transfer, 2 were transferred
Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

May 10, 2013, lap sx, Stage 1 endo

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

FET tentatively scheduled for 10/31/13

Have never seen a bfp.

November 28th, 2012, 01:38 AM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
Awww...poor Sean, I hope he feels better soon.

I got peed on once by my nephew babysitting so it's just one of those things bound to happen . I will also never forget the time DH and I were at our friends house and my friend's DH have their DD a bath and right after he took her out she started peeing on him so it can happen with girls too!

Not to long ago DH and I were researching humidifiers for ourselves in the meantime since it gets so dry in the winter which causes me to wake up with sore throats and stuffy noses but usually goes away once I get out of bed. We just couldn't decide on one because we weren't sure if we need cool mist or the warm mist and so many we looked at had reviews of their humidifiers leaking and stating how they need to be cleaned daily due to bacteria growth so we just decided to hold off and wait until we can get others opinions .

Forever missing my angel 2010

November 28th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Thanks, ladies. He is feeling better now and is back to his old self. In fact, he is a good sleeper and usually only wakes up once per night, but last night his wake-up was at 5am, so he almost slept through the night!!!

4 weeks 1 day

Since Sean is feeling better I decided to get out of the house. We went to BRU and Walmart. I finally returned the breastpump we bought back in June since we got one for free through insurance at the hospital. BRU's return policy is 45 days for pumps, but they decided to try it anyways (wasn't a big deal to me. I figured that if they didn't accept the receipt dated from June I'd just go to another BRU and pretend I didn't have a receipt at all since the box was unopened) and it worked! Even though we'd paid a good amount of it on our VISA they gave us merchandise credit. Not a big deal to us, though, since I'm sure that we'll need it, especially with babyproofing coming up and us needing at least 4 gates.

The mother's room at BRU is really nice! They have nice wooden changing tables and some comfy chairs and couches to sit on while nursing. I had to feed Sean while we were there and I discovered that a balled up winter coat works great as a breastfeeding pillow! I'm also glad that our BRU started selling Wubbanubs. Sean has two Wubbanubs at home: one for upstairs and one for downstairs and I forgot to bring one with us, so when he got fussy in the store I decided to buy a Wubbanub to keep in my diaper bag. I grabbed it off the shelf and just stuck it in his mouth and handed the empty package to the cashier! I'm sure it's not the first time she's had that happen. Tommy Tippee bottles were on sale so I decided to get a pack of those to let Sean try since I've heard such great things about them.

Sean's Christmas presents have started rolling in. We got some gift cards after Sean's birth and I was able to do all of Sean's Christmas shopping with those gift cards and still have money left over! Some aren't fun things because we're trying to finish off our registries (like crib mattress pads) but since we had the gift cards I also got him more toys than I originally planned.

CVS made me mad today. Sean's pedi sent in a prescription for vitamin drops after his 2 week checkup. I stopped into the one in my town last Tuesday to pick it up and they said they didn't have them. Today I went to a different CVS that I usually use and they said that it was sent in to the CVS in my town last Tuesday. I went back to the CVS in my town and the same girl told me they didn't have the order. I told them the other CVS said they received it last Tuesday so the girl looked in the computer and found it. Supposedly they "didn't fill it because they wanted to wait until I wanted it." Yeah, right. I've never had a CVS do that. They always fill the fax orders right away. I was in the drive through and I decided to park the car and wait for them to fill it. I wait 15 minutes and then a lady who works there asked me if anyone told me they were out of the vitamins. Um...no! I felt badly because it wasn't her fault, but I was kind of short with her and told her about the incompetence that's been shown to me so far and she said she'd go ask to see what the pharmacist wanted to do. Another 5 minutes go by and I haven't heard anything so I go up and ask what's going on. Apparently they decided to give me a similar vitamin drop that just has extra vitamins in it but neglected to tell me and let me think that I was sitting there for nothing. I finally got the drops and left, but it was so annoying the incompetence. Sean was not a fan of his vitamins and I can't say I blame him! They don't smell the best.

I actually made it to chat, but nobody else did! Oh, well. I tried. Everyone's having their babies and getting so busy!

Last edited by Belita; November 28th, 2012 at 05:01 PM.
November 28th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Yuck, what a crappy CVS experience. I've always had good luck with them, though we recently switched to Target pharm, but only because they just opened a Target across the street from our house (vs driving about 10 min to the CVS). I hope this was just a fluke.

Sorry I missed chat! I was still at "work"...long day today, then I got home and had to shower immediately (ya know, goats and such). By the time that was all said and done, it was almost 7pm here, and dogs needed to be fed and so did I. Just now actually making it back on my computer!

November 29th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Expecting #1
UGH, what a crappy experience at CVS! Hopefully it won't happen again. Yay for being able to return the pump! I am sure you will get plenty of good use out of the merchandise credit!

November 29th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That sucks about CVS. I truly can't stand incompetence..
But YAY for Sean almost sleeping through the night!

Baby girl born Feb 2013

November 29th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Can Sean give Jackson some lessons on sleeping through the night?

I usually have a hard time making chat because it's at the end of my work day, and then I'm driving home. I feed Jackson as soon as I get home, so I could totally get on around 5:45. I just forget!

November 29th, 2012, 05:55 PM
I meant to call the CVS and speak to a manager but forgot so I feel like I missed the window of opportunity to call and complain. I might stick to my regular CVS after that experience, though. The one in my town may be more convenient location-wise but I don't really like it much anyways.

Adrienne, I shouldn't have bragged! Last night he woke 2-3 times! I do feel really lucky that a "bad" night for Sean is 2 wakeups. Most nights he does only do one wakeup. We go to bed later than you do so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Here's our nighttime routine: at around 10ish we head upstairs and I change Sean's diaper and put him in his sleepsack with the swaddle part undone. I turn off the lights and feed him by either TV light or nightlight. I also turn on the vacuum cleaner white noise on my phone. The feeding usually lasts until 10:30-10:45. When he's done I swaddle his arms, put on his knit hat, and put him in the bassinet. He's usually asleep when he's finished feeding, but if he's not I'll rock him while he sucks on his pacifier until he's asleep. I leave the phone with the white noise in a corner of his bassinet. We then fall asleep and usually he'll wake up at around 3. I'll undo the swaddle part of the sleepsack, feed him on one side, change his diaper, then feed him on the other. He's always fallen right back to sleep at this point. Once again I do up the swaddle, put back on his hat since it always falls off, and put him back in his bassinet. I try not to, but I do sometimes fall asleep while feeding him since we've started doing side-lying position. He usually wakes up for the day between 7 and 9am.

November 30th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Look what arrived on Sean's 1 month birthday!

Thanks, Jack! It is way too cute!!!!
kbpeanut and Mom2JDub like this.

November 30th, 2012, 04:55 PM
This is too darned cute! When she told me she had a little something to send you, I couldn't wait to see what she chose!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search