Sean's Baby Steps

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree128Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC #1 Grads Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 30th, 2012, 08:18 PM
HopeTea's Avatar Cautiously expecting #1
Glad you like it! He looks adorable! I wanted to send panda socks with it, but they haven't had them in for weeks now...

December 1st, 2012, 07:32 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belita View Post
Adrienne, I shouldn't have bragged! Last night he woke 2-3 times! I do feel really lucky that a "bad" night for Sean is 2 wakeups. Most nights he does only do one wakeup. We go to bed later than you do so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.
Every time I brag that Jackson slept until the 3 o'clock hour, he wakes up 5 times the next night! He slept really well last night, so I'm fully expecting a bad one tonight.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
December 1st, 2012, 08:15 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeTea View Post
Glad you like it! He looks adorable! I wanted to send panda socks with it, but they haven't had them in for weeks now...
Awww, those would be cute! It was so sweet of you to do this, though, and completely unnecessary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by junie22 View Post

Every time I brag that Jackson slept until the 3 o'clock hour, he wakes up 5 times the next night! He slept really well last night, so I'm fully expecting a bad one tonight.
Little stinkers!!

December 1st, 2012, 11:20 AM
1 month 1 day

I wanted to do an update for his 1 month birthday yesterday but the day just got away from me. I've been horrible about updating our family blog, too.

Sean's either going through a growth spurt or a wonder week. I'd never heard of a wonder week before Adrienne mentioned it and I looked it up, but he's about due for his first one. Well, depending on when you start counting from. According to one website you start counting from the baby's due date, not from when the baby was born, which means he's not due for his first wonder week for three more weeks. However, not all the websites mention that, so if you don't go by the due date and go by his birth date instead he's in the right window for the 5 week wonder week.

He's started smiling while awake and is doing a lot better with holding his head up. He's starting to show an interest in the flickering of the TV lights at night so I think his vision is getting better. He's giggling in his sleep a lot more now, too. I hope he'll start giggling while awake soon!

I got so mad at DH last night. Last Friday he tried to pull a "you're the full-time mom" on me when I asked him to change Sean's diaper. You can imagine how well that went over. Then these past two nights, Sean hasn't slept well. He's woken up a lot more to feed so I've gotten less sleep. On Thursday night DH mentioned that the living room was starting to look cluttered. Ummmm...what do you want me to do about it? Sean cries when I put it down. He wanted me to try to train Sean to let me put him down. I told him it's not happening right now.

Cut to yesterday. I'd had two poor nights' sleep in a row and he sleeps in the guest bedroom so he sometimes hears Sean crying, but he then falls right back to sleep. I, however, don't have that luxury. DH woke up about 1/2 hour earlier than usual and he looked in on Sean and me and I was feeding Sean. I mentioned it was another bad night and he just walked away saying nothing! Sean didn't want to go back to sleep and DH usually putters around in the morning watching TV and browsing online so I brought Sean down to him for DH to suction his nose and try to get him back to sleep, which he did. Now last night when DH got home I decided he needed to see for himself how difficult it can be. So...DH got home and wanted to play his game to unwind...so if Sean started fussing I brought him down to DH. He realized I was not in the best mood so he did this all. Then at around 9 he said "I need you to hold him so I can get food and go to bed." I glared at him and said "I want sleep too!" He was taken aback but an hour later after he'd eaten he said "Is it okay if I go to bed?" I went silent for a few minutes and then told him "I guess." He realized it was the wrong move and later on offered to stay up. The problem was then I needed to feed Sean because I was full, or pump, either one would take a bit. So this morning I pawned Sean off on DH to get a few extra hours' sleep. He tried grumbling a bit but I'm not budging. I may be a SAHM but that does not absolve DH of all parenting duties. And I'm not mad or frustrated at Sean. He's just being a baby. I'm annoyed with DH for not stepping up, or grumbling about it when he does.

December 1st, 2012, 12:50 PM
That's super-annoying.

My DH was always really understanding about Jackson's demands and how tired I was from tending to his every need, 24x7. However, he definitely has a newfound understanding of just how hard it is to do anything but care for Jackson (cooking, cleaning, etc.). There are times when I get home from work and DH hasn't eaten since breakfast. He has told me several times that he just didn't realize how crazy it really is when it's just one person with a newborn.

I can honestly say that being back at work is WAY LESS exhausting than caring for a baby all day long. If I was in Bert's shoes and had the luxury of also not having to nurse/pump in the middle of the night, it would be a pretty sweet situation.

Hopefully Bert will wise up and you can rest up.

December 1st, 2012, 04:17 PM
Thanks. It is very annoying. He'll come around eventually. I just need to keep after him and not give up. He has had to take time to adjust to every stage of our relationship. He was living alone for 6 years before we met and never had a relationship that lasted longer than 6 months. First he had to adjust to being social after work and on weekends. At first he could only handle the companionship 2-3 days a week! Then he had to adjust to living together. At first he'd have to spend at least an hour alone in the basement each day, but now he only does that every now and then. And he is a good father and spends time with Sean every day when he gets home and does help out when asked, he's just taking time to adjust his expectations for how much I can actually get done and how much having a child needs to change his routine as well. I'm sure we'll have a few more arguments as he adjusts but he'll get there. Hopefully sooner rather than later!
Mom2JDub likes this.

December 3rd, 2012, 09:09 AM
Expecting #1
Love Sean's new outfit! Very cute! Its sounds like your routine for nighttime is from Happiest Baby on the Block. I think I read somewhere that you recommended it because it had some good tips for newborns, so of course I bought a copy for myself and it seems like there are a ton of GREAT tips to get the LOs to sleep better and longer. Sounds like its working with Sean.

Sorry you are having an adjustment period with Bert. It sounds like he gets through all the adjustments, it just take a bit longer for him to adjust to a new schedule than it does you. It sounds like you are being pretty patient already so I am sure he will adjust to the new schedule with Sean soon. Caring for a baby is really a 24/7 job 365 days a year, so I am sure he will start helping more with some of extra duties to give you a break here and there.
Belita likes this.

December 3rd, 2012, 09:17 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I told DH what Bert said, and he said "If I said that to you, I think I'd have to run from you immediately after..."

I hope he turns around...probably just an adjustment for him too. Since you know how he operates dealing with change, I'm sure it will happen
Belita likes this.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
December 3rd, 2012, 03:31 PM
Julie, that may have been where I got that idea from. I'm glad you're liking that book. I am using the 5 S's with Sean and they really do help!

Thanks for the support on the Bert situation. He's making more of an effort although yesterday he still made it more about him wanting to get things done than watching Sean for a bit so I could get things done. Baby steps. And yeah, I've come a long way with patience in my relationships. I wasn't always so patient with adults but I learned to pick and pace my battles.

December 3rd, 2012, 04:39 PM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know it's hard because it's an adjustment for you as well! Yes, Mother's tend to get into the swing of things faster/easier, but you have still lost a lot of the luxuries of your previous life as well. I think you are doing the right thing in standing up for your time that you need. If you don't take care of yourself, you can't take as good of care for the baby. It will get better. My guess is that right now Bert just doesn't know what to do with the baby because well, the baby doesn't do anything. But once Sean gets older and is more "interactive", I bet your hubby will be a lot more willing to do things with/for him. It's really quite common that dads are...afraid...of the newborn stage. Worried they might hurt baby or that they won't be able to figure out what the crying is for. It passes. It sucks for the time being, but you seem to have a good plan in place to get through this.

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
December 4th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Michelle, I think that's a big part of it. The other day I was lamenting the fact he's growing so fast and Bert said "I'm really looking forward to being able to talk to him and play with him."

1 month 4 days

Sean's wonder week seems to be over. I appreciate the additional sleep when he's sleeping well!

He seems to love tummy time so far! It takes him a while to get himself into position to lift his head, but he does it and usually lifts his head all the way up to turn it from one side to the other. He's also getting better at holding his head when upright as well. We still need to keep a hand there, but he can do a couple of minutes with his head unsupported. He also spends more time awake each day and is smiling and giggling a bit while awake and starting to "talk." His favorite new game is High 5! He loves giving them!

His cheeks are getting so cute and chubby! That's the only part of him that's chubby, though. He's so long and lean!

Cloth diapering isn't bad at all. My cousin sent us some wool covers she knitted so I just need to lanolize them and we can see if we can CD at night.

Poor Sean has a rash on his neck. I think it's from spitting up at night. During the day I clean him up right away but at night I don't know if he's spit up so it might be hours before he gets cleaned up. I started putting diaper cream on it and it's almost gone now.

December 4th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Awww sorry about Sean's rash, but glad the diaper cream is working! I had a friend who swore by Aquaphor for things like that for her little one, but as long as the diaper cream is working, great!

December 4th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Michelle, I think that's a big part of it. The other day I was lamenting the fact he's growing so fast and Bert said "I'm really looking forward to being able to talk to him and play with him."
My husband said the same thing. Mommies cherish those newborn snuggles, and it's bittersweet to see them grow. Daddies, however, look forward to the babies "doing stuff."

Neck rash... we never had an issue when he was in his spit-up phase. However, now that he's drooling constantly, he started to get red and bumpy. We change bibs/clothes all the time, but he was still managing to get wet. We used corn starch on his neck upon waking up and going to bed, and it was gone within 2 days. Incidentally, corn starch was the only thing that helped his bum redness too.

Last edited by Mom2JDub; December 4th, 2012 at 09:06 AM.
December 4th, 2012, 09:05 AM
I always thought DH would be that way too...and granted, we don't have our Scooter yet, but given the way he picks up Peanut every night, lays him like a baby in his arms, and sometimes even swaddles him in a blanket...ya, I'm not so sure Patrick will follow the normal "man" tradition

December 4th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Karin, my DH has always loved to snuggle with Jackson and let him froggy up and sleep on his chest. It's the crying and constant neediness that makes him feel helpless... especially since I'm BF.

December 4th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Yeah, Bert passes him to me when he's fussy!

Did cornstarch work better than baby powder?

December 4th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Yeah, Bert passes him to me when he's fussy!

Did cornstarch work better than baby powder?
Honestly, I never tried baby powder just because I'm not crazy about Jackson smelling like baby powder. I just went with corn starch because it has no smell.

December 4th, 2012, 03:11 PM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We use cornstarch baby powder on Joseph regularly otherwise he gets red from his diaper after a bit. And when he was so sick a couple of weeks ago, cornstarch baby powder worked best to clear up his diaper rash.

Aquaphor is a preventative (it's just Vaseline so buy that if it's cheaper) that creates a barrier, it won't heal rash. It doesn't do squat to prevent rashes on Joseph though. It's just trial and error for what works for your little one.

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
December 4th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSouthMommy View Post
Aquaphor is a preventative (it's just Vaseline so buy that if it's cheaper) that creates a barrier, it won't heal rash. It doesn't do squat to prevent rashes on Joseph though. It's just trial and error for what works for your little one.
I you BTDT mommies! I learn something new every day! Duly noted!
DeepSouthMommy likes this.

December 4th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSouthMommy View Post
And when he was so sick a couple of weeks ago, cornstarch baby powder worked best to clear up his diaper rash.
Yep! I tried what seemed like a zillion things on his diaper rash and nothing really worked. A couple days of corn starch, and he was good to go! Could have saved the $40-$50 I spent on diaper rash treatments and just used the $1 box of corn starch to start.
DeepSouthMommy likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search