Smokers...

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 11th, 2011, 12:04 PM
~*Jess*~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~*Jess*~
I know its taboo...but I smoke...I am going to quit. I just need help...I am not sure I can quit cold turkey...anyone in the same boat? SO wants me to quit like, now. But I will be a megaa ***** if I quit cold turkey. Anyone wanna help me? If this would have been planned, I wouldn't have to worry about it, but alas, things did not go as planned LOL.

November 11th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
How much do you smoke? Are you able to cut back gradually over a week or two?
November 11th, 2011, 12:25 PM
gratefulmama's Avatar Melissa, Mama to Lily
I used to be a smoker and quit when I found out I was pregnant with my first. It was hard! I quit cigs cold turkey, but I chewed the gum a few times a day for a few weeks and I think that helped a lot. It took the edge off, at least. Good luck! I know it's hard, but it will get better and easier.

November 11th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm an ex-smoker and the first 3 days are the worst! But then the nicotine is out of your system and you can make it!! Go buy those lifesaver winterfresh mints, use coffee straws to chew on and allow yourself to eat whatever you want for the first week. You'll probably cry the third day but just remember this post

If you crave a cigarette, look at the clock and tell yourself not to think about it for the next five minutes. When you get there and you still crave, do it again (and distract yourself). Remember that little baby in your belly and how you want to do it this for him/her!

Good luck!! I quit long before I was pregnant so I used smoking cessation aides (wellbutrin and the patch). But, I would be doing it this way had I not quit.

btw, I'm a lurker (hopefully only until Monday!!)

November 11th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Chevy_Gurl's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm an ex smoker too. With the first 3 kids I was a 2-3 pack a day smoker but quit cold turkey as soon as I got the positives on my tests. What worked for me to quit cold turkey during the 3 pregnancies and then for good was just putting my mind to it and will power I guess. Helped that I absolutely LOATHED the smell of smoke. I just put my energy into other things. Learned what my triggers were and tried different methods like lollipops, walking the dogs, jumping on the elliptical when I could feel my triggers starting to kick in.
... (A 09/98) ... (S 5/00) ...(T 5/01) ...
... (S2 9/06)... (A2 01/09) ... (A 7/2/12)

November 11th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Expecting #1
Oh I'm glad you posted this I also am a smoker who is trying so hard to quit I also have my SO who wants me to quit also and who is also trying to quit with me which is harder said then done. I managed to cut back quite a bit but just cant seem to cut out those habit smokes!!! Expecially while at work!

November 11th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Super Mommy
I am a smoker. Since finding out I was pregnant, I have got back from 1 pack a day to 7 cigs a day. It is still too many, but is a tremendous difference for me! We can be support buddies. It has helped my husband has recently started Chantix and is smoking a lot less. As long as I'm busy, it is not so bad. But when my son is asleep it is especially hard (I never let my son see me smoke, so I tend to smoke a lot more when he is asleep). The cold weather is also helping a bit, since I really don't want to be outside.

I also try to remember that the money I save from not smoking will buy a lot of baby stuff.

November 11th, 2011, 10:31 PM
ohfiddleheads's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Maybe try those electronic cigarettes that are nicotine free? Those seem to be becoming much more popular these days and customers at work claim they work well. I don't really know though because I quit two years ago cold turkey and I found it not that bad, but everyone's different when it comes to quitting.

Hannah Elizabeth born June 30, 2012
via Cesarean due to breech presentation
7 lbs 15 oz, 20.5 in
November 12th, 2011, 04:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not a smoker, but to you
November 12th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just want to say good for you!! Maybe the doc can also help you quite too. Since I work up with post partum mamas, I've seen the babies who have been born to smokers and their cords are usually a lot thinner, and the babies are crankier and go through withdrawls. Moms and Dads just think they are hungry and keep trying to feed them more, but then they get tummy aches from eating too much!

Anyway, I just want to say congrats and good luck with everything. My Dad's a smoker and I know its hard to quit. I've seen him try several times.

November 12th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just want to say kudos to you ladies who have recognized that you need to quit for the baby and are taking the steps in doing so, good job! There are far too many women out there that don't even bother trying to quit for the sake of their baby. Stay strong ladies!
November 12th, 2011, 11:22 AM
skyj03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im right there with you. I picked up this nasty habit a yr ago when I started waitressing again. As soon as I found out I was prego I cut back to 2 a day and by the end of the weekend I plan,to be a non smoker again. I just eat alot more and clean when I feel the urge

November 15th, 2011, 05:18 PM
I feel ya sister.. Quit cold turkey when SURPRISE UR PREGNANT!!! Week later i'm still craving and its still sooooooooooooo hard... I smoked the short 72's because we were gonna start trying in next few months so I was cutting down to make it easier. . Good luck to you all!!! I just posted about this..
November 15th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am in the exact same boat sweetie. It is kicking my butt. I have had 3 today. And still all day I think about smoking a cigarette. It would be nice if my DH would quit too, but I don't see that happening. He didn't quit the last time either.

(((Hugs))) It makes me feel better that I am not the only one going through this.
November 16th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Veteran
I've been a smoker for 12 years (since I was 14) and as soon as I get my BFP, I quit cold turkey. It's been 4 days without a single cigarette. I've had maybe one craving a day.

I recommend chewing straws if you have a really hard time but trust me, if I can stop cold turkey after smoking for 12 years, you can stop too.

I wish you a lot of luck!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search