Hospital

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 16th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
For those delivering at one, does your hospital have a NICU?

I'm delivering the same place I had my son. It's a smaller rural hospital with no NICU or Special Care Nursery. When my water broke, and I was admitted for my son I was the only patient in the L&D unit! I think they have 5 beds. I was nervous about it last time, and I'm nervous about it again this time...the "what ifs"...what if my baby needs specialty care? What if something goes wrong? Aargh! I hate that I worry about it, but I can't help it. I just try to remind myself that I trust my doctor, that he is experienced and knows what he's doing, etc. Right?
November 16th, 2011, 12:17 PM
kittiann's Avatar Veteran
I wouldn't be too worried if I were you. As I recall, most babies have a NICU stay because they're born premature.. so if you're in danger of preterm labor or are having contractions, you might just be referred to another hospital with a NICU just in case. If something does go wrong that you can't prepare for ahead of time, there are lots of ways to get your child the care they need - most big hospitals with NICUs also have helicopters to airlift children from hospitals where they can't be cared for properly.

My second daughter did have to spend two weeks in the NICU, but she was born at 36 weeks and had breathing problems that only became apparent an hour or so after she was born - she was just fine before that. I think there's usually plenty of time to get your child the proper care before something goes really wrong.

Aisha Rosemary and Miriam Lily
are going to be big sisters!

November 16th, 2011, 12:23 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine does not have a NICU so if baby needs intubated for any reason then they must be ambulanced or helicoptered away to another hospital. I don't worry about it as much with a full term infant but if I were to go into preterm labor I would probably go to a different hospital and just show up there even though my midwife isnt there. OR I'd go to my hospital and see if I could be transferred if I needed to stay.
My twins were born at 35 weeks and one of them was totally healthy and was able to stay in my room with me and the other had to be taken by ambulance to another hospital. Since I'd had a C-section, I didn't get to see him for 3 days. I saw him briefly before the transport team took him but he was already intubated and under a bunch of wires. I could only touch his hand. Three days later, when I walked into the NICU, my DH had to point out which baby was ours. I was so sad. When I sat down to hold him for the first time, the nurse remarked "Don't expect too much, he doesn't usually open his eyes." I felt so destroyed that someone else was telling me what to expect from my son. I never, ever want to be separated from my newborn again...it was terrible. So for that reason if I ever have reason to suspect that my baby would need a NICU then I'd probably deliver somewhere else, but for a healty full term pregnancy then I just stick with the hosptial my midwife is at.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
November 16th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My relatives live in a very small town. They are able to airlift to nearby hospitals that are better qualified.

Can you ask them what would require transfer and how the process works and how long it usually takes?

A relative required transfer. From the time they arrived at the local hospital to the time they were in the new hospital was roughly 3 hours.

November 16th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm having a homebirth- but my local hospital DOES have a NICU, in case it's needed.
But, I think (like everyone said) that if problems arose BEFOREhand, you might be sent to a different hospital (I assume there IS one with a NICU somewhat "close" by?). I'm sure your DR is plenty equipped, though, and everything would be just perfectly fiiiiine.

That said, why don't you bring up your concerns and what not at one of your appointments? Totally fine (and good, even) to do that. Ask him/her what they do in case of emergencies, just so you're more at ease.
November 16th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Super Mommy
It has a small NICU.

November 16th, 2011, 02:51 PM
LadyBugMommyof1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, a large NICU at the hospital I delivered DD. The other hospital that we looked at (and would go if the city was full) has a small ICN, certified only to 34 weeks.
November 16th, 2011, 04:34 PM
JessicaW's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm planning a home birth most likely but I think the hospital that is ten minutes from me does have a NICU. Not the level 3 ones but a lower one. But the hospital that my midwives use I don't know. I think maybe their other campus does? I have no idea. I'm supposed to be going on the maternity tour soon.

TTC#2:
May-June 2013: Follistim + IUI = overstimulated, cycle cancelled
July 2013: Follistim + IUI = m/c at 4.5 weeks
August-Sept 2013: BCPs then IVF = freeze-all due to OHSS risk
October 2013: Natural cycle = BFN
November 6, 2013: Day 1 !!!!
November 24, 2013: Transferred one thawed euploid male embryo
November 29, 2013: BFP!
August 12, 2014: Cautiously hoping for this due date

November 16th, 2011, 04:38 PM
faygeo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to faygeo
all 3 of my children were full term but my youngest had to be in the nicu for a short time due to a high red blood cell count. thankfully, our local hospital has a fully equipt nicu

November 16th, 2011, 04:49 PM
jenerik's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
yes, and a very good childrens hospital down the road. (Cook Childrens)

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my AH-mazing Siggy!

November 16th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The one I'm delivering at, no, but when I went into preterm labor with my son, they were quick to ship me out and with the company of two nurses.
November 16th, 2011, 06:14 PM
TerriM's Avatar Super Mommy
I have two hospitals in mind, both have a NICU unit.

thank you JMC1988 for my siggy!

Make a pregnancy ticker

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search