soooo confused by this!

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 16th, 2011, 07:54 PM
ohfiddleheads's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Has anyone ever seen the Carnegie stage table of embryonic developmen. It's really weird and doesn't make sense to me at all. According the chart, if I go by how many days old I think my embryo is (27 days - CD41 minus 14), it's not as developed as I thought it is compared to what else I've been told on every other pregnancy website out there. But according to how the weeks coincide with the days of development I'm technically further along than if I just go by my LMP. Soo....What the hell?

Here is a link to the table:
UNSW Embryology- Carnegie Stage table

Hannah Elizabeth born June 30, 2012
via Cesarean due to breech presentation
7 lbs 15 oz, 20.5 in

Last edited by ohfiddleheads; November 16th, 2011 at 08:13 PM.
November 16th, 2011, 09:00 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
wow, I love those pics. I didn't get to really read it, it seems too complex for my lack of brain power at the present moment (just finished homework and my mind is fried for the night!) so I'll have to try again another day to make sense of it but the pics are really cool!
Yes, I realize how shallow and mentally lame I sound right now...LOL!

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
November 16th, 2011, 09:03 PM
lol, that's okay I agree the pics are cool for sure!

7 lbs 15 oz, 20.5 in
November 16th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
OK, so it looks like they're starting with the fertilized egg...so that would mean they're counting days starting as soon as sperm meets egg, which is different than including the first two weeks of pregnancy where you're technically not pregnant yet (if you go by first day of your last period). Right? If my egg was fertilized approximately two weeks after my last period, then my baby would be week five on their chart, which seems to me like it would be correct. Does that make sense? I could be totally wrong. It's getting late, and I'm tired!

ETA: Annnnd, I just realized you already said basically the same thing I did. Being 7 weeks though, it does seem to make sense to me that leg and arm buds are just forming. So, I'm not sure about earlier on, I guess.
November 16th, 2011, 09:17 PM
gratefulmama's Avatar Melissa, Mama to Lily
I can't read it ATM, either. I've totally got pregnancy brain and am SO tired. But, I do agree that the pictures are awesome! It is just amazing to see all the changes that take place so quickly!

November 16th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Chevy_Gurl's Avatar Super Mommy
WOW! I can't wait to show the kids those pictures tomorrow. However I've hit mommy/preggo/overworked brain because I can't compute the math to make it all work together.
... (A 09/98) ... (S 5/00) ...(T 5/01) ...
... (S2 9/06)... (A2 01/09) ... (A 7/2/12)

November 17th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Super Mommy
If you look at just the #, think of it as the same # dpo. That's the gestational age.

If it says 3 weeks, it really means 5 weeks pregnant (but 3 weeks since ovulation/conception)

November 17th, 2011, 11:21 AM
I understand that the weeks are two weeks behind, but based on the days it puts me at the end of my 6th week when I'm really at the end of my 5th week. That's where I'm confused. The days overlap, too, probably because not every embryo develops at exactly same rate. Anyway, I was giving it some thought and actually, I think the picture is correct if I go by the days of gestation alone. The weeks are beside the point, what matters is how many days my little embryo has been developing. Anyway, it's still neat to look at the pictures, though it made me realize that the pictures pregnology uses for their ticker are incorrect for the weeks they represent.

7 lbs 15 oz, 20.5 in

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search