Feeding choices?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 30th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm curious if you feed one child one way and the next a different way, what influenced your decision?

No debate please! I'm very curious. I nursed dd and generally did not enjoy it. I did, but prefer bottle feeding. Since i can't pump, we'd use formula. I'm torn because I want both kids to have the same. But at the same time, I just don't have it in me to nurse again. I'm going to try, but ya know. Dh is not on board with formula and want to respect him too. He made a comment when we were talking about it and he voice was full of sadness about not nursing. I think if he could, he would move heaven and hell to do so. I want to respect his feelings, my feelings, and give both kids an equal start.

It actually might be a mute point as I plan to start dealing with some other health isssues when the baby is born. Idi if any medications would be ok with nursing, but I can't hold off. My thyroid level has been borderline and my pcp wants to recheck and consider treatment options since I am borderline obese.

November 30th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I will BF both, or at least try very hard and hope it works this time around.
In any case, there is nothing more important that you being happy and healthy. If BF is not for you, don't stress over it. Or do it for the first couple of month and switch to formula.

Thanks Claire1979 for my awesome siggy.
November 30th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I nursed my daughter, until she self weaned and then continued to pump. But after awhile I couldn't pump anymore because it just upset me and stressed me out. So then she went to formula after all frozen milk was gone.
I plan on nursing this baby as well.

As Harleigh gets older, because she is underweight, I put anything and everything in front of her and hope she'll eat it. To this day her favorite is garlic bread.
November 30th, 2011, 06:53 PM
kemper2.0's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I nursed DS and I will nurse this one too. I couldn't imagine NOT doing it. I agree with Karina, nothing is more important that your happiness and healthiness. I will say that every child is different and I think you should at least try it. You may end up loving it with this child :shrugshoulders: If not, at least you would have given him/her a head start with breast milk Ultimately though, you have to do what is best for you and baby so if you think you will be miserable, don't!

Kat, mommy to Gideon (9-8-10) and Arie (7-6-12), and Evangeline River (3-27-14)

November 30th, 2011, 07:29 PM
LadyBugMommyof1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I nursed DD and I had a LOT of milk. When I went back to work, I pumped and we bottle fed or I came home to where DD was on my breaks and nursed her. I hope that I will be able to nurse twins, but understand that I may need to supplement... I hope not for at least 6 months, but we will see, especially if I have to go back to work at 6 weeks.
December 1st, 2011, 07:36 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I gave my first both formula and breast. I was still in college and I was still completing my field work in archaeology in another state. With the traveling, and crazy schedule it worked out for the best. When I was camping, I could pump with a manual pump, but there was nowhere to store the milk. So I weaned during that period (when she was about 7-8 months).

My second never got a bottle. I was home 24/7 and was able to nurse him completely until he was on a sippy cup. He weaned during my pregnancy with my third around 16 -17 months.

My third has gone back and forth between breast and bottle because of my job. I can't remember if he has ever had formula. He started taking milk out of a sippy cup when he was about 9-10 months. He is still nursing at 17 months.

So it has been a bit different for each kid. I don't know what to expect for this one. One thing I can tell you as a lactation counselor, is that ultimately you need to possibly try and recognize what you don't like about breastfeeding. But if it really that bad, and if it is affecting your relationship negatively with your child and your husband, that is a valid reason to consider using the bottle. There are so many mommy wars out there about what is best to do for you family and everyone has their opinion. But only YOU know what is best for your family (and no one can compare their situation to yours, because what's best for everyone is different).

My best suggestion to you is, to go in with an open mind. Put aside your last experience because every nursing relationship is different. Give it a try, and if it works out, them awesome. But if it doesn't work out, then thank the formula Gods that you have other options! There are also other organizations out there like Eats Feets with donated breastmilk from other mothers and things like that if you wanted to try it. There are so many options thankfully and no matter what you choose, it will be out of love for the well-being of the whole family unit.

December 1st, 2011, 07:52 AM
mommyTTC3's Avatar Proud mom of 3 !! <3
I formula fed both of my kids...I was young and they didn't really push BF 12 years ago like they do now . This baby I am going to do my best to BF. I am looking forward to it . I am a SAHM so I will try to only BF ,but if it doesn't work out and I have to give my baby a bottle .. I am not going to let that bring me down ..

December 1st, 2011, 08:50 AM
*Izzy's*Mommy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Que~~ View Post
I gave my first both formula and breast. I was still in college and I was still completing my field work in archaeology in another state. With the traveling, and crazy schedule it worked out for the best. When I was camping, I could pump with a manual pump, but there was nowhere to store the milk. So I weaned during that period (when she was about 7-8 months).

My second never got a bottle. I was home 24/7 and was able to nurse him completely until he was on a sippy cup. He weaned during my pregnancy with my third around 16 -17 months.

My third has gone back and forth between breast and bottle because of my job. I can't remember if he has ever had formula. He started taking milk out of a sippy cup when he was about 9-10 months. He is still nursing at 17 months.

So it has been a bit different for each kid. I don't know what to expect for this one. One thing I can tell you as a lactation counselor, is that ultimately you need to possibly try and recognize what you don't like about breastfeeding. But if it really that bad, and if it is affecting your relationship negatively with your child and your husband, that is a valid reason to consider using the bottle. There are so many mommy wars out there about what is best to do for you family and everyone has their opinion. But only YOU know what is best for your family (and no one can compare their situation to yours, because what's best for everyone is different).

My best suggestion to you is, to go in with an open mind. Put aside your last experience because every nursing relationship is different. Give it a try, and if it works out, them awesome. But if it doesn't work out, then thank the formula Gods that you have other options! There are also other organizations out there like Eats Feets with donated breastmilk from other mothers and things like that if you wanted to try it. There are so many options thankfully and no matter what you choose, it will be out of love for the well-being of the whole family unit.

Good advice.

I breastfed my daughter, correction, still do nurse my daughter and she's 22 months. I'm hoping to make it to 2 years and that she'll wean before the new baby comes.

I often have the BF/FF debate with friends because I'm so pro-bf'ing. The thing is, we all know "breast is best", but if you really don't enjoy it, or can't fathom doing it, it might not be the right choice for you. You don't want to dread feeding time. I still bf my daughter because she loves it and I love it, it's created an amazing bond.

The bottom line, is that your baby needs nourishment one way or the other. There's nothing wrong with how/why you choose to feed what you do, just as long as your baby is happy and healthy.

December 1st, 2011, 10:20 AM
sunny's Avatar It's all in the Hips!
my first daughter I formula fed (I was 24 I think and none of my friends were breastfeeding and I had a hubby very concerned about appearance so I wanted to be able to take diet pills, so all selfish reasons!) my milk stayed in until she was 1 and I never gave her a drop so I always said I would try to breastfeed the next.

Lainey my almost 21 month old I was able to breastfeed successfully even though I went back to work at 6 weeks I was able to pump enough and nursed on demand while at home so we made it until she was 1! We had introduced her to her sippy cup a couple weeks before her birthday and it came down to her preffering the sippy cup so day after she turned 1 she wouldn't nurse anymore! It made me sad.

This one I will breastfeed and pump while at work again and perhaps not introduce sippy and cows milk until after they turn 1 so maybe I can go a little longer but we shall see as gosh I hated pumping by the end of that year!

I also did baby led weaning with solids for Lainey where is with Gabby I did traditional cereal then jar baby food (she is SUPER picky still to this day which is what led me to baby led weaning, only time will tell if it will really make a difference in pickiness hahaha)
December 1st, 2011, 11:00 AM
seri0uslyc0nfused's Avatar Just Confused....
I tried the BF thing, but it just didn't work for me well. And Adam only liked one side for some reason (which I still SEE a diff in my boobs because of that). I had to go back to work after 6 weeks so I pumped until I randomly lost my milk around 5 months. After that we just did formula. I might try to BF again, but if not I will pump for as long as I can. I'm hoping being home this time and having less stress will help my milk last longer.

December 1st, 2011, 11:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies (and also thanks for not turning into a debate - I hate bringing up feeding choices IRL or online b/c of that).

I do plan to try nursing, each time is different. So I don't want to make a firm decision either way before the baby is here.

I know each nursing relationship is different, but its so hard not to expect the same or similar. I expect that and DH has already said he doesn't have a desire to feed the baby a bottle. I will be doing 100% of feedings, including solids. Around the clock. All day. All night. All week. Month after month. I know that I'll have to compare our baby to my step cousin's baby. I know that my grandma will be her normal judgmental self. My step cousin formula feeds, as it is his daughter is so much smarter then DD because SHE WAS FORMULA FED. I just can't do that again. I can't defend a choice I don't feel strongly about. I mean, I'm already on thin ice with grandma. I keep a relationship because she is my dad's mom (and I respect my dad) and I don't think she realizes what she's doing when she says what she says. I just don't feel like I have the strength when I don't feel committed. IDK.

If it was just ME, I wouldn't even try to nurse again. I love my hubby and respect his feelings, so I'm going to try and see how I feel. But at the end of the day, I do feel like he respects my decision. I just don't want years down the road a fight because I was selfish and wouldn't nurse or I didn't try hard enough to like it. I don't think it will be an issue of "trying" to nurse. I know I can. I know I will have plenty of milk (I never dried up from DD and she weaned YEARS ago). Unless the baby is unable to latch on, nursing will physically be a breeze. IDK. Its just on my mind a lot.

December 1st, 2011, 11:48 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Quote:
Originally Posted by hope71012 View Post
Thanks ladies (and also thanks for not turning into a debate - I hate bringing up feeding choices IRL or online b/c of that).

I do plan to try nursing, each time is different. So I don't want to make a firm decision either way before the baby is here.

I know each nursing relationship is different, but its so hard not to expect the same or similar. I expect that and DH has already said he doesn't have a desire to feed the baby a bottle. I will be doing 100% of feedings, including solids. Around the clock. All day. All night. All week. Month after month. I know that I'll have to compare our baby to my step cousin's baby. I know that my grandma will be her normal judgmental self. My step cousin formula feeds, as it is his daughter is so much smarter then DD because SHE WAS FORMULA FED. I just can't do that again. I can't defend a choice I don't feel strongly about. I mean, I'm already on thin ice with grandma. I keep a relationship because she is my dad's mom (and I respect my dad) and I don't think she realizes what she's doing when she says what she says. I just don't feel like I have the strength when I don't feel committed. IDK.

If it was just ME, I wouldn't even try to nurse again. I love my hubby and respect his feelings, so I'm going to try and see how I feel. But at the end of the day, I do feel like he respects my decision. I just don't want years down the road a fight because I was selfish and wouldn't nurse or I didn't try hard enough to like it. I don't think it will be an issue of "trying" to nurse. I know I can. I know I will have plenty of milk (I never dried up from DD and she weaned YEARS ago). Unless the baby is unable to latch on, nursing will physically be a breeze. IDK. Its just on my mind a lot.
Sorry about your Grandma. Just know that no matter what choice you make, there will be plenty of people who think they know better for you. It important that you make the choice that you know in your gut is right for you and your baby, then you'll not feel the need to entertain everyone else's opinions. People can compare this baby and that baby all day, but people forget that it's not just what we're feeding them and what we're teaching them, but these are PEOPLE. They are very small people, but they are people with their own free will, gifts, and talents. Not all of that is based on their diet. A lot of moms will kill me for saying that. Sure there are millions of studies out there that say - breastfed babies are smarter, yadda yadda. But there is usually more to it than that. My husband was a formula fed baby. Smartest guy I have ever met. It's because his mother loved, nurtured, and raised him well and nurtured his strengths. No matter what you do, it will be good, and I hope end the end that you feel good about it and have no regrets.

December 1st, 2011, 11:58 AM
I tried BF my DS, but I didn't produce much milk and DS always seemed hungry. So at night I used formula. I tried BF for three months before I gave up. I really enjoyed the closeness of BF but it was very frustrating not being able to make much milk. With this one I will probably try and do the same... BF during the day for 3 months while I am home and bottle feed at night. Then go to just formula when I return to work
December 1st, 2011, 01:08 PM
LuvLuvmyfamily's Avatar Veteran
I only bf my ds for 6 weeks then bf and formula fed him until 4mths then only formula tell he was 1 . I was only 21 and it was much easier to just formula feed then nurse and pump. With my dd I nursed her tell 6mths then bf and formula. I cut her off of bf at 10 mths because she would not quit biting. So every kid is different. I'm not sure how long I will bf this one either, I was a sahm with dd and i will be going back to work at 6-8 weeks this time. I will see when the time comes, and how we both do. Good luck, I hope you find what works best for you!
December 1st, 2011, 01:12 PM
Super Mommy
I bfed and bottle fed till 6 months then switched to bottle. I had supply issues due to a c/s. I'd like to exclusively bfed this time if all goes well.

December 1st, 2011, 01:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I breast fed all my kids. I hated breatfeeding all of them. It was never that happy bonding experience that most women talk about. I nursed for over a year on all but my first and only weaned her cause I was PG with #2 and my teeth were hurting.

If I had my drothers, I would bottle feed #5, BUT I know breast is best blah, blah, blah, so I will breast feed and hate it for at least a year. Actually, I would prefer to just pump and give via bottle (I HATE the smell of formula), but that wont happen, so I'll nurse.

December 1st, 2011, 01:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My daughter was breastfed until 6 months and then I pumped and she had breastmilk exclusively. My son nursed and when I went back to work he nursed and I pumped. I plan to do the same for this one.
December 1st, 2011, 02:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE angry uterus View Post
I breast fed all my kids. I hated breatfeeding all of them. It was never that happy bonding experience that most women talk about. I nursed for over a year on all but my first and only weaned her cause I was PG with #2 and my teeth were hurting.

If I had my drothers, I would bottle feed #5, BUT I know breast is best blah, blah, blah, so I will breast feed and hate it for at least a year. Actually, I would prefer to just pump and give via bottle (I HATE the smell of formula), but that wont happen, so I'll nurse.
I'm glad I'm not alone! Seriously, I feel alien.

December 1st, 2011, 03:15 PM
I breastfed both of my children. DS til he was 8 months and DD til 6 months. I always had a hard time producing enough milk for them until they just basically weened themself... I believe as long as you try thats all that matters... If you are not happy and comfortable with it, it's not going to work well anyways.. Ur husband needs to respect your feelings also... HTH

December 1st, 2011, 04:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hope71012 View Post
I'm glad I'm not alone! Seriously, I feel alien.
There are more of us out there, but they are too afraid to speak up for fear of getting yelled at by breast feeding advocates.

Now, to be fair, since I do work on a post partum unit and I have sucessfully breast fed four children, if you want to breast feed, I will spend HOURS with you getting a good latch, dispelling myths, encouraging you... I've only ever met one person I thought shouldn't NOT breastfeed, and that was cause she was mentally challenged and after (not kidding) 10 hours of assistance with that and trying to teach her baby care, I gave up by the second day and told her she needed to pump at certain times and then she did great. Our lactation consultants even gave up on her before I ever did.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search