Co-Bedding or sleeping alone?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Where Will Your Baby Sleep?
In bed with me! 13 31.71%
In his/her own crib! 4 9.76%
In a bassinet for a few months and then to the crib! 16 39.02%
Undecided 8 19.51%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 1st, 2011, 09:53 PM
kemper2.0's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What do you plan to do with this child? With my DS he slept in a bassinet next to my bed for 5 weeks and on the day he turned 5 weeks he moved to a crib in his own room. I think I would like to try an Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper with this one. I'm not sure :shrugsshoulders:

What did you/will you do? What are your pros and cons to co-sleeping or sleeping alone? When do you plan to move your baby to his/her own crib?

Kat, mommy to Gideon (9-8-10) and Arie (7-6-12), and Evangeline River (3-27-14)

December 1st, 2011, 11:18 PM
*Izzy's*Mommy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With my daughter, we co-slept for the first 3 months. Then from 3-6 months, she slept in a bassinet in our room. At 6 months, we moved her in to her own crib in her own room.

I'll probably do the same sort of thing. I love co-sleeping, but I was very paranoid that I would hurt her somehow, especially with her being a newborn. We slept in a safe way on our bed, and sometimes she would sleep nestled next to my body with my arm cradling her on our couch. I'm a very light sleeper, so it worked well for her.

Even when she was in her own bassinet or crib, usually when she had her first wake-up of the night, I'd just bring her to bed with me to nurse her back to sleep. Nursing and co-sleeping went hand in hand for me. It just seemed like the natural thing to do.

Dr. Sears has some great info on co-sleeping. Co-Sleeping: Yes, No, Sometimes? | Ask Dr. Sears

December 2nd, 2011, 03:58 AM
LadyBugMommyof1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I chose "undecided" since I have no clue how it will work with twins...that being said, I would love to co-sleep/use co-sleeper to begin the night....just not sure of logistics

With DD we had an Arms Reach Mini Co-sleeper. She'd start the night in it and then fuss (30min to 2 hours) and I'd pull her into bed to nurse. I LOVED nursing lying down (my favorite position even as she got older). Usually I'd fall back asleep before putting her back in the co-sleeper, so she'd just end up in bed with us. She moved to her room/crib at 5 months and we still end pulling her to bed with us when she wakes up crying in the night which is about 90% of the time...

My major concern with two is that I cannot nurse both when lying down. So, if I want to feed simultaneously, then I'll have to sit up in a chair. If I do that, I'll have to go downstairs anyhow, so I'm not sure what we will do.
December 2nd, 2011, 03:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Crib from day one. I like my bed!

Dd We co-slept. It was hard. Our bed isn't big enough. She still comes to our bed, and don't feel safe having a baby plus her in our bed. I also don't think bassinets are safe. I put dd in there to nap. I went potty and came out to check on her. She rolled into the corner and was stuck. If I didn't come out when I did, she may have stopped breathing since she was stuck face in the corner.

This one will be in a crib only.

December 2nd, 2011, 04:28 AM
Sheena Beena's Avatar Dean and Dex's Mommy
With my son we co-slept until he was 6 months old and then transitioned him into his crib. I'm planning on doing the same thing with this baby, especially since DH will be gone the first 6 months of the baby's life.

December 2nd, 2011, 05:47 AM
Mystixism's Avatar Mistress of the Universe
We co slept with our son until he was about a year old. Since I was BFing it was really the only way for me to get any sleep as well. I will probably do the same with this LO but I do hope to have the baby in their own crib before a year this time.

December 2nd, 2011, 07:33 AM
Chevy_Gurl's Avatar Super Mommy
We co-sleep exclusively for the first 2 months then use a co-sleeper till around 6 months & then move them into their own crib. Since we have limited space in our house the baby will still be sleeping in our room for a long time.

I much prefer to co-sleep as it makes BF'ing so much easier and allows for me to get more sleep to function better for the other kids.
... (A 09/98) ... (S 5/00) ...(T 5/01) ...
... (S2 9/06)... (A2 01/09) ... (A 7/2/12)

December 2nd, 2011, 07:40 AM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
I plan to do the same thing I did with my other two. Put to bed in their own crib, then when he/she wakes up in the middle of the night, change and bring into bed with us for the rest of the night. Continue doing this until baby sttn. Worked great with my other two (I got the best of both worlds), so I'm hoping it's the same with this baby.

December 2nd, 2011, 07:59 AM
gratefulmama's Avatar Melissa, Mama to Lily
I voted for co-sleeping, but it'll probably be a mix and really just depends on the baby's needs.

With my last, I swore that she wasn't going to be in our bed. Well, she told us different and was in our bed from day one. It worked out well, though, because she was nursing and I didn't have to get up with her all night. I actually felt like I sort of slept some those first few months. She always slept sort of restlessly, though, and I could tell that she preferred her own space. So, at 5 months, we moved her to the PNP in our room. Then a month or two later, we moved her to her crib in her room. Very smooth transition and she almost immediately slept through the night. I sort of plan to do the same with the next, given that that works for him/her/us.

Last edited by gratefulmama; December 2nd, 2011 at 08:05 AM.
December 2nd, 2011, 08:08 AM
Mamacc's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well I usually *try* to get the baby to sleep in their bed but it hasn't worked out yet, lol. So we'll probably end up co sleeping for a while since it's easier with nursing. Partly why I insisted that we get a king bed when we moved recently and got our bed set....and I must say I am LOVING the king bed!! So worth it.

December 2nd, 2011, 08:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have an In Arms Reach CoSleeper (The kind that attaches to the side of your bed). When the babe out grows that, depending on medical needs, the babe will move to a crib.
December 2nd, 2011, 08:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Oliver was never a snuggly baby. I really, really hope this one is!! Oliver came to bed to nurse, then went back to his crib for the most part, most of the time. He preferrred it that way. I hope to do both crib and co-sleep with this baby.
December 2nd, 2011, 08:36 AM
forest's Avatar Cara, Mom to two girls
Send a message via Yahoo to forest
With both girls we co slept until a year old then transitioned to the crib. I'll probably do the same this time. It really helps me get the extra sleep I need.

Thank you Natalie (MrsStuartD) for my Beautiful Siggy!!!

~Cara, Mom to Elizabeth (12/5/07) and Alison (8/12/10)~~
December 2nd, 2011, 08:54 AM
seri0uslyc0nfused's Avatar Just Confused....
I will probably have the baby in bed with me for a couple of weeks until my DH goes back to work, then we will do that bassinet thing for about a month then hopefully to the crib. My DS still ends up in bed with us at almost 3 years old and so I want to get off on the right foot with the new baby. I would love to have a kid free bed at some point

December 2nd, 2011, 09:02 AM
MissMeliss0522's Avatar Super Mommy
My 2 year old still makes her way into our bedroom at night, she has a memory foam pad to sleep on on the floor along with one of her blankeys for just in case. The new baby will sleep in his or her own space but in our room. ( we are going to be moving ) For nighttime feedings since Im going to be nursing, it will most likely be, get from crib, change, nurse, co-sleep till the next feeding.
December 2nd, 2011, 09:02 AM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh ૐ View Post
I plan to do the same thing I did with my other two. Put to bed in their own crib, then when he/she wakes up in the middle of the night, change and bring into bed with us for the rest of the night. Continue doing this until baby sttn. Worked great with my other two (I got the best of both worlds), so I'm hoping it's the same with this baby.
This is pretty much what we do too and it has worked our great for us. Once our little ones aren't waking to nurse they are usually in their owns beds all night easily.
December 2nd, 2011, 09:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I want to get an arms reach co-sleeper.. and have baby in our room for at least 6 or so months. After that, in his/her room in crib... I think.
December 2nd, 2011, 10:57 AM
LuvLuvmyfamily's Avatar Veteran
I have co slept with both of my children. My 2 yr old still makes her way to our bed half way through the night. So I need to get her out of our bed for good before we bring a new baby in. One thing I have not been good at is getting my kids to sleep on their own. maybe third time is a charm?
December 2nd, 2011, 03:15 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
We do a mixture of whatever's working at the time. We room in for the first year. Baby has their own space, but can sleep with us or on their own. Whichever they prefer.

December 2nd, 2011, 07:06 PM
MamaFish's Avatar Swimming Upstream
First baby slept in a crib in her own room from night 1. I also nursed in the rocker in the (cold) family room in the middle of the night. Next baby had a bassinet in our room and I (duh) nursed her in bed and put her back in the bassinet at night. Never dawned on me that I didn't have to sit up and nurse the baby at night!!! I moved her in with her sister after a few weeks.

That's what I've done with other babies, too. I can't sleep as well with them in the room with me. Every little noise they make wakes me up. Their crying never wakes their siblings up so I don't have to worry about room sharing. I put them in the crib once they outgrow the bassinet.

ETA: I have fallen asleep a few times nursing them in bed and I've woken to find them buried under blankets or with their face against one of us. I'm not comfortable with that so I don't like to co-sleep except occasionally when they're several months older. This last dd used to wake up at 6am and dh would be getting up for work. He'd get her up and bring her to me and we'd both fall back asleep. I loved those months

dd SK (13.5)
dd AB (11)

ds TJ (9)
ds SR (6.5)

dd LG (4)
edd @ June 14

Last edited by MamaFish; December 2nd, 2011 at 07:10 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search