When to tell older siblings?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 6th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Super Mommy
We can't decide when to tell my 8, 5 and 2 yr olds about the pregnancy. I waited until 11 wks to tell #1 & #2 when I was pregnant the 3rd time. I'm not worried about the 2 yr old, obviously he won't understand. My worry is always if I would m/c and then my girls (5 & 8 yrs old) would have to go through that loss. I've never had a m/c but I still worry about it. We only told our parents and don't want to spread the word more because we don't want anyone to slip and tell our girls! FYI I am over 7 wks and have had an US with a HB of 120 last week.

What are you gals doing about telling the older siblings? How many weeks were you?

December 6th, 2011, 06:23 AM
MissMeliss0522's Avatar Super Mommy
My girls are 7 (almost 8) 5 and 2. Guess we were pretty busy around the same times lol

Anyway, my girls do know. I waited until I saw a heartbeat and had a photo to take home to them. They think its pretty cool (the older girls do) the youngest doesn't really understand except she points out babies and is starting to question if we will have one of those lol I have never had a m/c and have no reason to believe that anything with this pregnancy isn't healthy. I did have a small scare in the beginning and we found the cause, it was nothing related to the health of the baby, with that said, that was my logic. If something should happen, then I would have to cross that bridge at that time. But I honestly feel a sense of peace about this pregnancy and used my own intuition. Only you and your S.O knows your kids and how you think they will react. Whatever decision you do make, Im sure will be the best for you all! Congrats and good luck
December 6th, 2011, 06:48 AM
HippieLove's Avatar Modern Day Brady Bunch
Send a message via MSN to HippieLove
I want to wait until I'm around 14 weeks.

Emma, girlfriend of Loz, future step-mama to J (15) and K (10), Mama to Jaelah (7), Oliver (5), Mianna (3) and Harper (1), WTTC our first together, in 2015.

December 6th, 2011, 07:03 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I told them already. My youngest two don't really get it, but DD, who is 7 kept asking a lot of questions after we went to the clinic (had to go verify pregnancy for insurance). I also threw up a few times and she was worrying. So we told her and she is great. We're not keeping it a secret, already let the cat out of the bag, so she had to know anyways.

December 8th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Super Mommy
DH wants to tell them now and tell all of our friends. I know we can't tell friends without telling the kids first. I'm thinking of breaking our tradition of waiting so long. Maybe this weekend (I'll be ~8wks) we'll tell??

December 8th, 2011, 07:39 AM
txmumx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We told our kids 2 days after we found out. We were about 6 weeks then. Our oldest is 4 and the second oldest is 2. I like to keep them in the loop only because even if something horrible did happen they'd know something was up.

December 8th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Chevy_Gurl's Avatar Super Mommy
We told A1 within 3 days of finding out. She's always been our biggest fan and likes to be part of everything from the beginning. We then told the rest about a week later till we could tell the grandparents.
... (A 09/98) ... (S 5/00) ...(T 5/01) ...
... (S2 9/06)... (A2 01/09) ... (A 7/2/12)

December 8th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Super Mommy
I had to giggle at your A1 & A2, we were thinking of names last night. My kids start with A, B and G. We use their first letters when texting. DH and I were talking about avoiding names with A, B, and G or do we use A2 if we get another A name! Funny timing!

Thanks for you input!

December 8th, 2011, 10:18 AM
LuvLuvmyfamily's Avatar Veteran
we told our kids last time at 8 weeks and then ended up having a mc at 11w so this time we decided to wait. even though we have had two us I still think I want to wait tell 12 weeks idk though. maybe christmas its so hard to decide.
December 8th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm debating. DH is upset that I don't want to tell DD yet. However, we told her about our miscarriage 2 years ago and it was terrible! We told her we were pregnant and a week later miscarried. DD blamed God, and that he didn't listen to her, etc. We've finally got her past that. I do not NOT want to repeat that. I told DH if we still have a heartbeat on Monday (our next u/s) we can tell DD.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search