your mom's labor

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 6th, 2011, 09:24 AM
ohfiddleheads's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm wondering if your previous labor(s) is/are comparable to your mother's labor when she delivered you. My mom had a 6 hour labor and one push to get me out and I'm wondering if I'm likely to follow suit.

To be honest, a short labor would be nice, but one push would not. I do NOT want to tear and my mom tore, pretty bad I reckon.

Hannah Elizabeth born June 30, 2012
via Cesarean due to breech presentation
7 lbs 15 oz, 20.5 in
December 6th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Veteran
Nope, nothing alike!
my moms first labor was something like 20hrs and horrific. Her other 3 births were better but I (knock on wood) have had better experiences with both my girls being only 5-6hrs from the time my water broke (my water spontaneously broke both times and hers never did) until the time the placenta arrived.
I believe I read somewhere that it takes at least two pushes to deliver, ideally consisting of one push for the head, one for the shoulders.

December 6th, 2011, 09:34 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Typically women labor like their mothers.

I think I was an exception to that rule though. My mom's labors started with water breaking and were long and horrible. I'm built more like my father's mother and I think I labored like her as well. Mine have all been fast an easy. Even when I was induced, I did not have to receive an ounce of pitocin (just a whiff of cervidil). I have a slow build of early labor for a few days, then once active labor kicks in, it's only a matter of a few hours for me. Oh- and my water always breaks right before I push the baby out. So far I have pushed each baby out in three pushes, each with no tearing. (With the first, I had a dumb OB who gave me an episiotomy though which seemed unnecessary considering how tiny DD was.)

Oh-well- with DS1- he was my biggest so far at 8lbs 9oz and I really didn't push at all. My water broke and my body just pushed him out. I felt like a bystander watching it happen, it was so odd. But amazing. It kind of felt good. Anyhow- so yeah, you can birth without pushing in rare cases.

Last edited by therevslady; December 6th, 2011 at 09:37 AM.
December 6th, 2011, 10:41 AM
MissMeliss0522's Avatar Super Mommy
My moms first labor with me was 5 hours, I was 8 lbs 4 oz. My first labor was 7 hours and she was 8 lbs 6 oz. My moms second was 2 hrs breech, and he was on his way out so fast they hardly made it to the hospital. My second was 6 hrs she was 6 lbs 14oz. And my third was 6 hrs, she was 9 lbs 3 oz.
December 6th, 2011, 11:57 AM
THE angry uterus's Avatar TTC PINK
No idea, but I'm a twin, so her labor/delivery with me and my sister were much different then anything I've experienced I'm sure! (She carried us to 38 weeks too and we were both almost 7#)
December 6th, 2011, 12:29 PM
LadyBugMommyof1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nope... all of my mom's labors were relatively easy compared to mine. I was a 3rd child and born in 45 min (she went in the labor and just made it to the hospital, not even in a birthing room to delivery me).

With DD my water broke at 11am-ish (my mom's never broke naturally for all 3 of us...) and she was finally born after 1:30am the next morning.
December 6th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My mom's labors were early, fast, and easy. Mine were early but not fast and easy
December 6th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Labor kinda, pregnancy NO!

I'm pregnant like my dad's mom. I did labor kinda like my mom. Except dd went into distress. She was induced for me, and I was with dd. we both were in active labor unknowingly. Her labors were all quick and natural births. Mine was 7 hours, hers were 5-7 hrs. I had an epidural (when you see spots and the nurse won't let you assume a Position to avoid spots....yeah). I just wanted to squat

December 6th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Mamacc's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think our labors were very similar. I had it easier than she did. I know I was breech baby and a difficult birth....and I had relatively smooth hypnobirths.

December 6th, 2011, 03:04 PM
mommy2lilmen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
hmm I should ask my mom, when I tell her Im pregnant again lol I dont want her getting an hinkle of an idea yet. My labors varied..and I only had one that was 5 hrs and that was with my 4th, the rest were over 13 hrs.
4 babies 94,95,99, 08~TL April 2003 & Sept 2013 TR May 2008

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blessed with 1 Autistic and 1 Down Syndrome child
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alyssa Marie Jade
September 1, 2013 @ 11:01pm 6lb 8oz & 18.5in
Emerg C Sec, Down Syndrome blessing, AVSD, Hirschsprungs, G tube
58 day NICU stay, Sept 1- Oct 29 2013

December 6th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Chevy_Gurl's Avatar Super Mommy
Thank the heavens that ALL my labors have been the complete opposite of my moms! I was almost 4 weeks over due, 10lbs & change. She was in labor for almost 24 hrs w/ me too.

All mine have lasted anywhere from 10 hrs to 32 minutes w/ all babies being under 7lbs. I don't think I could have handled what my mom went through. Now I know why I'm an only child.
... (A 09/98) ... (S 5/00) ...(T 5/01) ...
... (S2 9/06)... (A2 01/09) ... (A 7/2/12)

December 6th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My mom had all c/s so I can't go based on her. My sister was in labor for 16 hours with her first and like 8 or 9 with her second. I was in hard labor for 8.
December 7th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My mom was in labor with my brother (her first child) for 30 hours! I was in labor with my daughter for 4 hours. I hope my second child follows suit, I got lucky!
December 8th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Super Mommy
Nope not me. I was 2 wks late and was born via csec at 7lbs 10oz because the Dr thought I was too big. The nurse asked my mom her wedding ring size and it was a 4. The nurse said anyone under a 4 or 5 has problems pushing babies because of small pelvis. She had another csec with my sister who was 7lbs 6oz.

My wedding ring size is a 4.5 and I have pushed out 3 kids -7lbs 0 oz, 7lbs 4oz and 7lbs 2 oz. None have been overdue.

December 8th, 2011, 07:44 AM
txmumx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am gonna go with yes! I am her only child and her labor was quick and easy. The last 3 labors I've had have been quite similar and hoping for the same this go around

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search