Anyone else...?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 6th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Super Mommy
Hi! I wasn't sure whether or not I should post on this board, because my situation is a little different than other people whose posts I've been reading...

I'm 21 years old, and I'm a senior Early Childhood Education major. This pregnancy was not exactly planned, but I've come to terms with it, and I'm starting to get really excited! I'm a little nervous though, because I'll be starting my student teaching in the spring (in Kindergarten...so fun!!) and I'm hoping that I'll be able to get through it without any complications...it's very important to me that I finish school. I'm not married, but my boyfriend and I have a very committed relationship and he's a wonderful guy. He's got a good, stable, full-time job and his own house. So really, although this pregnancy is unexpected, it is not unwelcome. Both of us have extremely supportive and loving families, so that helps too.

Anyway, I'm 10 weeks, and I'm due June 29th! I'm just wondering if anyone else got pregnant in college or had an unintended pregnancy?
December 6th, 2011, 09:26 PM
LadyBugMommyof1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome and congratulations! It sounds like despite the surprise, you have your goals set and a great support system. I hope you have the happiest and healthiest 9 months.
December 7th, 2011, 09:46 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Welcome and congrats! I was 21 when I had my first. I was a junior in college and still had a couple of semesters left. I was in school until I was 38 weeks pregnant, took a semester off, and completed my last bit of college part time. It was a challenge, but not impossible. The biggest challenge was long summer semester classes and a short pregnant bladder. I had one terrible professor who did not tolerate my bathroom breaks well. He also did not help accommodate me when I was too pregnant for the little cheap desks that we had to sit in. I guess my other challenge was I took classes two days a week from 7am-7pm after she was born, and there were no accommodations for me to pump, so I had to pump in the bathrooms or in the grad student lounge. Luckily I did have resources to a fridge, thanks to the chair of my department.

December 7th, 2011, 09:52 AM
PredonioussMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i know lots of people ( myself included) that have unplanned pregnancies ( our first was very much unplanned) but it is doable!!! Especially since you are in school, Just make sure you have plans and stick with as best as possible you may have some additional hardships with it, I hope you are super healthy all along your pregnancy!!!

December 7th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Please stay!!! All people, situations and pregnancies are different. It doesn't matter what yours is. You're pregnant, you belong here. Welcome!

Btw, I'm currently taking time off but I'm a Kindergarten teacher
December 7th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Veteran
My first daughter was a honeymoon baby and while not exactly planned she was well welcomed.
I had her January 2007 and did not finish my B.S. until May 2008. The semester she was born I took condensed courses where you go for a weekend or week on campus and then finish online that semester, it wasn't easy but I am glad I didn't stop just because I was pg.

You can do it!

December 7th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've been a full time student since I was pg with dd in 2006! Same major. Finished my aa. Working on my bs. I can't take any classes due to budget cuts. It'll be nice to have a break. Dd sees my hard work and saw me walk. I hope it will help her long term.

Good luck on student teaching. I've got one class and my student teaching (they call it action research). I actually might not finish until this baby is a lot older (kindergarten).
It's hard work, but worth it.

Dh and I had only been married a few months when we found out. It was a big adjustment to get married and have a baby in the same year. In a lot of ways we were still getting to know eachother.

December 7th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Super Mommy
Thank you all for replying! I'm glad to hear that some of you have gone through (or are still going through) similar experiences to me...it's hard for me to relate to some of the other girls in my major, because even though we are all close-knit, they like to go out all the time and I feel like that part of my life is mostly over! Which is fine with me, but it's hard not having anyone else that understands what I'm going through. I do have one good friend who is my age and is also pregnant, and I'm very excited that our babies will be close in age and can grow up together! However she isn't in school. But still, she's a great support to me. I really am excited for this baby, the timing may not be perfect but I've always wanted to be a mother! I really can't wait to find out if it's a boy or girl.
December 7th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm a full time nursing student. I graduate in May, but I am getting nervous cause I'm afraid I will either be put on bedrest during the my last class in April (history of preterm labor) and therefore loose my job, and have to retake the LAST 8 week class a YEAR later, or that no one will want to hire me cause I'm due in July, which would be the middle of orientation/precepting.

BUT we are excited about this pregnancy.
December 7th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Super Mommy
That's very similar to what I'm worried about - I'm afraid if I get put on bedrest or something, I will be unable to finish my student teaching before graduation in May, and I'll have to wait until next fall to take it again. Another thing I'm worried about is that I won't be able to get hired for a teaching position for next year, since I'll be pregnant during the interviewing process this spring...I'm afraid I won't end up being able to get a teaching job until the 2013-2014 school year. So I definitely understand how you feel!
December 8th, 2011, 08:16 AM
txmumx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations, Mama! Hoping for the best possible outcome for you with no bedrest in your future

December 8th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had my first two kiddos when I was in graduate school. The good thing is that being a student allows for a more flexible schedule when it comes to bringing baby to Dr appointments or finding childcare. It wasn't easy balancing school and kids but it worked out and I am glad I did it.
December 17th, 2011, 11:12 AM
MamaFish's Avatar Swimming Upstream
My birth mother was a a sophomore in college (20), but I don't know any more than that. I was born in June. She didn't give any info on the bio. father so I don't know if they stayed together.

Welcome to the forum!

dd SK (13.5)
dd AB (11)

ds TJ (9)
ds SR (6.5)

dd LG (4)
edd @ June 14

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search