Pencil Test

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Regular
Has anyone done the "pencil test"? The ladies I work with SWEAR by it and I've now seen it work with three different women and it's right with my first two. BUT, I'm kinda freaked out because mine says: boy, girl, girl, boy. Well, I already have a son and daughter. This is pregnancy #3 and my DH swears that he is "taking care of things" as soon as possible...so the possibility of getting pg for a fourth time is NOT happening. I'm wondering if this is telling me that it's fraternal twins??! I know these things are most definitely not reliable and the only thing that is is an ultrasound. But, I'm just wondering if anyone else has done it and if it's proven right. The way we are "reading" the test is: straight back and forth: boy, circle: girl and it kind of quivers in between. That's what it has done for all the ladies on my hall that have done it. Back and forth= boy...circle= girl. I keep doing it over and over again because I just can't believe what it's saying. In my gut, I think it's a girl and I was right both previous times I was pregnant with my "gut" feelings. But, if it's TWINS?!?!? Considering my DH really didn't want a 3rd, I can only imagine how he'll react if he finds out he's getting 3 and 4!!!!!
January 18th, 2012, 12:44 PM
twoboys's Avatar photography co-host!!
I have no idea! I havent done the test, how do you do it?? Would you be excited to have twins???
January 18th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Grlsshp9's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Swaying from side-to-side = girl
Swaying up-and-down – hand to elbow = boy
Swaying diagonal = Twins!
Large circle = miscarriage/abortion

This is what I looked up about the pencil test.
I kept having a small circle! Then up and down the second time.
but it's weird because I have the BIGGEST gut feeling it is a boy. I'm only 7 weeks but finding out it would be a girl would be so shocking because for some reason I KNOW it's a boy.
January 18th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Okay, I wasn't doing it correctly. I re did it and it says I am having a boy, then a girl, but it went straight from the girl to a boy like it didn't pause in between so maybe I'm having fraternal twins with my next pregnancy! Who knows. I am glad I did it over though because I know I am having a boy. haha
January 18th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
Ok that was weird. This is the first time I have ever done any of these gender predictor things, and it was right so far. It went girl, boy, miscarriage, miscarriage, boy, and then girl no pause boy. Does that mean girl/ boy twins? Then it stopped, so I guess according to that we will be done after this one. If it is twins then I would have to agree with that. LOL. Now I am even more anxious about my appointment on Monday.

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

January 18th, 2012, 01:36 PM
pauriemmo's Avatar Veteran
I still don't get how the test is supposed to be done exactly.
January 18th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Regular
The lady that taught me the test said that she's always done it as:

back and forth- boy
circle- girl

Which is exactly what it does for me. First it goes back and forth and I have a son. Then it goes in a big circle, and I have a daughter. Then it goes in a big circle, stops, and goes back and forth. So...girl and then boy.

If it's twins, I would be totally overwhelmed. But we would make it work.
January 18th, 2012, 02:10 PM
I would love it if I had twins, but of course this is my first baby so it wouldn't be a big deal to me.
January 18th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillancastermom View Post
The lady that taught me the test said that she's always done it as:

back and forth- boy
circle- girl
Forgive me, but this still doesn't make any sense to me. How do you get the pencil to move? Am I hanging it in the air, putting it on a table? I don't get how a pencil spontaneously moves.
January 18th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Super Mommy
It's really funny to read about this test on other forums, when the threads are a few years old. People update their signatures, and you can tell if the test was right or not, lol.

I would have to go buy a pencil. Maybe I will, since I need to go out and get diapers tonight anyways.
Breast feeding, formula feeding, baby wearing, stroller pushing, VBAC successful, video game playing, extended rear facing, extended harnessing, mac and cheese feeding, vaccine free, happily married, LDS mother to 3 beautiful children. And now you know everything about me.

My Blog - Thoughts from Momland, where the mountain dew is cold, the kids are loud, and the laughs are endless.[/CENTER]
January 18th, 2012, 03:32 PM
I just tried it but my son kept moving his arms around. I guess I will wait till my DH gets home on Friday.
January 18th, 2012, 04:07 PM
You stick a needle into the eraser of a sharp pencil then thread a string through the needle hold the threaded pencil above your wrist (palm up) and if it sways front to back its a boy, circles its a girl. It starts in order though, so when it starts moving, if you have previous children it will name off the children you have now then your unborn. It names it then pause, then go again then pause. It's pretty cool! It says I will have a boy then a girl. So apparently I am pregnant with a boy! YAY Pretty cool.
January 18th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauriemmo View Post
Forgive me, but this still doesn't make any sense to me. How do you get the pencil to move? Am I hanging it in the air, putting it on a table? I don't get how a pencil spontaneously moves.
It's a magic spell!

Actually, you're supposed to thread a needle, then stab a pencil through the eraser, and dangle the pencil over your wrist (doesn't matter which wrist) by the thread not through the eraser, and see which ways it sways/spins/rocks/whatever.
Breast feeding, formula feeding, baby wearing, stroller pushing, VBAC successful, video game playing, extended rear facing, extended harnessing, mac and cheese feeding, vaccine free, happily married, LDS mother to 3 beautiful children. And now you know everything about me.

My Blog - Thoughts from Momland, where the mountain dew is cold, the kids are loud, and the laughs are endless.[/CENTER]
January 18th, 2012, 05:23 PM
MarineQueen's Avatar Veteran
I know! That's crazy! When is your U/S? Do you have a date set yet?

It could be twins! I have 3 sets in my family & I was one but my twin stopped growing at 6 wks so I'm kind of scared about the possibility!
January 18th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Super Mommy
I know a mom who had a singleton, then 14 months later had twins. They waited until the twins were nearly three to get pregnant again, which is good.. because they are having another set of twins.

January 19th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Regular
My ulstraound isn't until February 21st, which feels FOREVER away. I showed my DH the pencil test this morning and it totally freaked him out. But, it did it again! It's so crazy to watch it move the way that it does. You can feel the pencil start to pull...almost like a magnet. It's wild!
January 19th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Veteran
Ok I did it. It stayed at girl FOREVER and then went to back and forth for boy. Already have 2 girls, I wonder if 3 would be girl then 4 boy?? Or girl/boy twins! It sure seems like it's calling twins for many of us

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search