Used? or NEW!

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2012, 05:00 PM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How do you feel about buying used stuff for your baby? Is there anything you HAVE to have new for your baby? What is the best deal you have gotten on a used product for your kids in the past?

January 19th, 2012, 05:20 PM
EJsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got a lot of baby clothes from a good friend years ago that I have kept. I will have to go through them and see what I need from it. I am not sure what we are having. Most of the clothes are for girls but the baby clothing is mostly gender neutral. I have some new clothing but I can certainly be happy with lightly used baby clothing.
I am still so early and will wait until mid term to start thinking on this.
~ Expecting our rainbow baby September 7, 2012 - grew wings on 1/27/2012

Please do not mention anything from the JM board on my Facebook page
January 19th, 2012, 05:23 PM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
About 90% of our baby stuff is used either from friends or garage sales. A couple of things that I buy new are carseats and crib mattresses but I'm fine with buying everything else used if it is in good condition. I'm not sure what the best deal would be but I've been given tons of nice used clothes from family members who have kids just a little older than mine so I've had to hardly buy any clothes for our kiddos which is nice. I've gotten most of our cloth diapers used from moms online so that has saved us a lot of money compared to buying them new.

[
January 19th, 2012, 05:41 PM
2Reasons2Smile's Avatar Love my little family <3
We are not really picky as long as its in good shape we will use it.
January 19th, 2012, 06:24 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
The car seats are new. Otherwise, I could care less if they are in excellent condition. I'm not a snob.

January 19th, 2012, 06:33 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used my son's car seat for #2, but it has since expired, so that will be the only thing I really want to get new.

I don't mind used stuff as long as it is washable.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

January 19th, 2012, 06:33 PM
lovemyleah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a ton of clothes left over from my daughter, and probably 90 percent of them were given to me from friends. I have no problem with used stuff and will gladly accept anything that people give to me.

The only things we will have to buy new is a car seat and another crib. My daughter's is a drop side. I will also be buying a bassinet, but I'm hoping I can find one used.

January 19th, 2012, 07:23 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We bought a lot of new stuff for my son but also lots of used. As far as baby clothes i almost always buy used at second hand stores, unless there is excellent deals on clearance. Things i won't buy used- Car seats, mattress, and for some reason i don't like buying used toys. If its from someone i know or looks in really good shape i have no problem but most of the toys i find that are used look dirty or i can tell they're used. Maybe since i know my son puts all his toys in his mouth and i'd have to spend a ton of time disinfecting and cleaning them with the way my mind works, i figure its easier just to buy it new.

January 20th, 2012, 01:17 AM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyT View Post
How do you feel about buying used stuff for your baby? What is the best deal you have gotten on a used product for your kids in the past?
I'm ALL for gently used baby stuff, in *most* things, not everything. I would not do used cloth diapers, but most of the cloth diaper community does.

Quote:
Is there anything you HAVE to have new for your baby?
I'm in the process of buying newborn cloth diapers and selling off the ones I used on my son. I waited right down to the wire to get him newborn cloth and I had almost nothing by the time he was here. What I did buy leaked like crazy and so, out the door it goes.

I will NEVER buy, or use, a car seat that has been used. I was offered them when I got pregnant with my son and I had to tell them no. You just never know how the car seat was handled/stored even if the people that gave it to you had never been in a car accident. For instance, the britax seat he has now can never be taken off and washed. It can only be wiped down. There are a million and a half ways to ruin car seats and most people do it without even realizing. Buying new vs used can make the difference between your child being alive or dead. Used is NOT worth the risk!

Quote:
What is the best deal you have gotten on a used product for your kids in the past?
Our car seat. No, just kidding!

His baby clothes probably.

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13
January 20th, 2012, 04:23 AM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would not mind gently used baby clothes. I would prefer to have most things new since this is number 1, but if someone offers us something awesome that is still in good condition (other than crib or carseat) then I won't say no

January 20th, 2012, 05:14 AM
twoboys's Avatar photography co-host!!
I buy mostly used stuff! I do like a new blanket for baby though!!
January 20th, 2012, 08:26 AM
karenwalter's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We get alot of stuff on craigslist. For Connor I got alot of new clothes because people gave them to me. I will not take a used car seat. crib, mattress, or stuffed animals/blankets/etc. Everything else is fair game used.

I got a jumperoo for Connor for $10 on craigslist. Pretty much perfect condition.
Also got a pottery barn glider for cheap.

. Thanks .hOOdihoo.this. for another beautiful siggy!

January 20th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I mostly buy new.

January 20th, 2012, 08:46 AM
PiXeYstyx's Avatar Veteran
I love new stuff but I love used too. If it's in good shape I have no problem buying used. I got allot of DD's clothes from yard sales and thrift stores. Going to do the same with this one.

January 20th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Grlsshp9's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't mind if someone passes down their old baby clothes to me, because it's a nice thought, the more clothes the better! I am buying a new crib, new car seat, and new bottles, and formula. I don't want someones left over formula. haha I think that's odd.
January 20th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Super Mommy
I would never buy a used car seat, but I'm okay with using one I know the history of (to make sure it's never been in an accident, gate checked, had the straps washed, etc).

I buy or reuse my own crib mattresses, but would never get one used.

Other than those two things, I don't mind used things. most things can be sterilized if it's an issue. As long as it's in usable shape, it's cool.
Breast feeding, formula feeding, baby wearing, stroller pushing, VBAC successful, video game playing, extended rear facing, extended harnessing, mac and cheese feeding, vaccine free, happily married, LDS mother to 3 beautiful children. And now you know everything about me.

My Blog - Thoughts from Momland, where the mountain dew is cold, the kids are loud, and the laughs are endless.[/CENTER]
January 20th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Sprinkle 2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I buy a lot of things used. If it is washable or can be wiped down with bleach, I don't mind if it is gently used. Makes for great deals!
I will be buying a new carseat and baby bed for this LO.

The best deal I've gotten... I got my daughter a really plush swing for less than half price at a consignment sale and it was almost new. I love consignment sales!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search