Is it odd...

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2012, 09:58 PM
That my doctor didn't order any blood work for me at my first appointment today?? She explained to me that since my last blood work was within the past 6 months (October with my miscarriage) there was no need to repeat it as long as we saw the heartbeat on the u/s today. I figured she would want to check HCG and progesterone levels... But I guess not?? Has anyone else had this happen?
January 20th, 2012, 05:16 AM
twoboys's Avatar photography co-host!!
Hmm, I am not too sure? I have not been to the doc yet, I thought most did do blood tests though.
January 20th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Bobb's Avatar Veteran
Well I'm guessing since you already saw the heartbeat and the bean tucked in where it's supposed to be, that means the bean is ok so no blood work is needed. I think beta checks are made at the beginning to make sure it doubles correctly, since you can't get an u/s that early.

I wouldn't care about betas if I already saw the heartbeat. Maybe I'd check my progesterone level, but again, I've ALWAYS had good and high prog level so I didn't check it when I got my betas.

And NO, my doc didn't even tell me to get bloodwork done, he told me to schedule an u/s at the clinic in 2 weeks (I met him when i was 4 1/2 weeks) and Congrats & Good luck

January 20th, 2012, 08:37 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not sure what blookwork they will do at my 1st appt but i know they won't do the HCG or progesterone levels. The only time i had that checked was when i was worried about m/c and it was too early to do an u/s. Once you hear the HB that is the most reassuring thing, more so than any numbers

January 20th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Doesn't seem odd. How far along are you?

January 20th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Super Mommy
my doctor doesn't order blood work to be done until later in the pregnancy - around the time I could be opting to get extra tests done.

I've never had blood work ordered or done in the first trimester, and this is my fourth kid. *shrug*
Breast feeding, formula feeding, baby wearing, stroller pushing, VBAC successful, video game playing, extended rear facing, extended harnessing, mac and cheese feeding, vaccine free, happily married, LDS mother to 3 beautiful children. And now you know everything about me.

My Blog - Thoughts from Momland, where the mountain dew is cold, the kids are loud, and the laughs are endless.[/CENTER]
January 20th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Moldovandish's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think it's something a regular OB does unless you have a history of m/s or insist on getting your levels checked. The REs typically do the blood test and early U/S for those going through fertility treatment and then they send you off to the OB who doesn't see you until 7-8 weeks I think. At least that's how it is in my case.

Baby Caleb - born on Sept. 15, 11.31 pm, 8 lb. 15 oz.
January 20th, 2012, 11:42 AM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
Seems normal to me. They don't normally check hcg or progesterone at the standard early pregnancy blood draws. They check your type, cbc, etc.

January 20th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Thanks ladies!! Your input was very helpful. Since my first pregnancy ended in a miscarriage (with lots of blood work) I wasn't really sure what to expect this time around. It definitely makes sense that once you see the heartbeat that the hcg and such isn't relevant. I am just worried about everything at this point. I am 6weeks3days and see the doctor again in two weeks. I am really hoping there comes a point when I can relax a little.
January 20th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Its normal to be nervous especially after a m/c. Once you hear/see the heartbeat the chance of m/c goes way down though so that's the good news

January 20th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Yea, unfortunately that hasn't brought much relief yet. We saw the heartbeat of our first baby twice before we lost it about a week later. But I am certainly looking forward to getting to hear the heartbeat this time around! Trying to move forward with the most positive thoughts possible!!
January 20th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Oh i see, I can imagine how that would make it really rough. That's great that you're focusing on thinking positive!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search